Checking text length.

I have a large list of names (about 2500) in microsoft excel but I need to
find all cells within a column that have a text length of more than 30
characters including spaces. Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to
start counting?
Thanks.
Chris.

0
chrisd79 (3)
7/27/2004 10:26:05 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
one way:
- select your data (e.g. cells A1:A3000)
- goto 'format - Conditional Format)
- enter the following formula
=LEN(A1)>30
- choose a format to highlight these cells

0
frank.kabel (11126)
7/27/2004 10:57:35 AM
I like Frank's suggestion, but I think I'd insert another column (say a new
column A) and put:

=len(b1)
and drag down

then I'd apply Data|Filter|autofilter to that column.

Then filter on greater than 30.

Those rows with long names will stay visible.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Convert Cell Text to Matching Hyperlink?????
We have an Excel spreadsheet that contains information to scanned images being populated into our engineering database. In the spreadsheet there is information as to the creation time and date, size, title and other related information. One of the columns is the name and location of the actual TIFF image file. This field is just text. What we would like to do is convert the cell from just text stating the location and filename to a hyperlink pointing to the specific file. For example, the cell contents state : G: \folder2007\subfolder0320\00001234.tif We would like to still have the tex...

Large amount of cell text
Hi, We have a case where we have received records from a Hotmail subpoena. Microsoft has put the records in an Excel spreadsheet with all emails for a six month period being contained in a single column and tens of thousands of rows. The problem I am having is that some of the cells that contain the text from the email messages are very long, and makes reading of the cells difficult. An attempt to save to or publish to a different format for easier reading causes truncation of the text in those particular cells. Word Wrap, Autofit, nor simply double-clicking on the cell margin d...

merge MSN Bill Pay & Checking Acct

VBA solution to paste text into megred cells
I do realize that merged cells are bad news. I'm stuck with an Excel 2003 worksheet, which contains this dreaded feature. Users are complaining that on trying to paste text into merged cells gives Excel Warnings: "Data on the Clipboard is not the same size and shape as the selected area. Do you want to paste anyway?" And: "Cannot change part of a merged cell." Interestingly, though if the user hits F2, which places the cursor in the formula bar, then the paste operation works! I'm usually reasonably of Ok with VBA; but this ...

Authorizing checks with RMS

How do I create Check list

How do I turn off the text to speech facility in Exccel?
I am trying to turn off the text to speech facility in Excel. Please help. On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 01:29:26 -0700, "David Boas" <David Boas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >I am trying to turn off the text to speech facility in Excel. Please help. On the Speech toolbar, click Speak On Enter, the rightmost button. See also Help: "Turn off speech playback" where it says: Turn off speech playback Do one of the following: To turn off all speech playback, click Stop Speaking on the Text To Speech toolbar. To turn on or...

Printing Checks

Text problems
Using a newsletter created by Publisher 2000, opening the newsletter in Publisher 2002 and saving as a web page some of the text lines are over writen by the next line and the text that fills a column in the newsletter leaves a lot of white space at the bottom of the column. Is there any way to fix this problem or do I continue to use Publisher 2000 and give up on Publisher 2002? Thanks for any help any one can give. Bill ...

why can't i type in plain text control boxes?
I am building a template in Word 2007. In the content controls I have the option of using rich text or plain text. When I choose the plain text and protect the document to filling in forms I can not type in the content control box. Yet when I use Rich text I can't tab over to the next content control box as it tabs within the control box. All I want to be able to do is type in the control box and be able to tab to the next. Did you by any chance set the text controls so they cannot be edited? Undo that and you should be able to tab from text control to text control with ...

Employee Check Format-Graphical

Check Names = "Exchange Server computer is busy..."
Here's what I got: Active Directory on Server 2003 1 Domain Controller also running DNS and WINS No other DNS or WINS servers (I know, I know) Static IP Addresses...NO DHCP Exchange Server 2003 on a member server Client running W2K SP4 Outlook 2000 SP3 Exchange has 4 mailboxes set, but nobody is using it. I'm still testing things out. When I try to connect to Exchange via my Outlook 2000, I get the following message: "The function cannot be performed because the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is busy. Try again later" I've tried it from 3 different client comp...

Count for text
Hi, I believe this is very simple, but i fail to make it works. A 1. text 2. number 3. text 4. text 5. #N/A 6. etc... 50. I want to count all "text" for column A, please help. i use =COUNT(IF(ISTEXT(A1:A50);(A1:50) but result is 1 , not as i expected. Kind Regards, Try =SUMPRODUCT(--ISTEXT(A1:A10)) -- Jacob "Pran" wrote: > Hi, > > I believe this is very simple, but i fail to make it works. > A > 1. text > 2. number > 3. text > 4. text > 5. #N/A > 6. etc... > 50. > > I wan...

Printing MICR checks
Hello, We are having an issue printing checks on the Select Payables Checks window. When we try to print the checks we receive the error message below: "Warning: You have MICR but are not in a MICR screen. To use MICR, abort this screen and set up security access." The user has access to this screen but I'm not sure what this error message means. There was nothing related to this in the Knowledge Base either. Has anyone else received this error message before and if so how did/do you resolve it? Thanks! The user has the third party mekorma check writing module ...

Check off boxes
Publisher 2003 in use. I am creating a questionnaire that will be included in a newsletter. I am using the publisher software to make this form. Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Any help along this line will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and enjoy your day. Mike Mike Reshetar wrote: > Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, > however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Use Wingdings and the � or q characters. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher h...

trying to align shifting text boxes
my report has a number of columns and in 2 of them are a quantity of text boxes stacked vertically on top of each other in a perfect world, the data would stack INDEPENDANTLY in each column (without aligning across the columns) ex: COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2 textbox 1a texbox 2a textbox 1a texbox 2b textbox 1b texbox 2b textbox 1c texbox 2c not like this: ex: COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2 textbox 1a texbox 2a textbox 1a textbox 1b ...

check check check
afpoiadshfpaosid It is a feature, not a bug -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How to convert De-limited text file to excel
I have a text file de-limited with tab. I need to convert the same file to excel and use chart options to draw a graph. Though i am able to import the text file in to excel file i am unable to draw graph with that data. Please help me do it. Maybe the 'numbers' in the data are being seen as text, try entering 1 anywhere on the sheet and copying it. Then highlight the 'numbers' and do Edit>Paste special...>Values+Multiply This should kick the text numbers to actual ones and you should then be able to chart it -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, ...

where is the install for default text box add-in
Maybe you mean Default Text Box v1.0.0.3 http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/add-ins Normal.pub? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lpyburn" <lpyburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:692EA943-DB76-474F-B4C4-CA0222EBA04D@microsoft.com... > ...

spam properties check
When I receive a suspecious email (spam), I right click, without opening the message, to check the properties to make sure it is spam before I forward to the "missed spam" software of my ISP. Some spam emails then ask me if "I want to save the changes" before I close the properties box. I am then not able to forward this email without replying yes to "save the changes?" I did not make any changes, I just checked the properties. Why is this happening? ...

tristate check box #2
I have a tristate check box.The default behavour of tristate check box in windows is that, the grayed check box will become unchecked after click on grayed check box. But i want , the grayed check box will become checked after click on grayed check box in VC++ .Pls help me its urgent. Well, for Win32, you can always SendMessage the button a BM_GETSTATE. I'm sure with MFC there's a function that will permit this; it could be as simple as button_name.GetState(). Well, for the event OnClick for that button, you can get the state of the button and then either run it through some if-...

Check scanning and Check readers
Has any group successfully integrated a check reader or scanner into a MSFT RMS-POS solution? Our small business processes alot of checks from contracts and cash from customers. So, we need to integrate credit card, debit card, cash, and checks processing. I've been wanting to implement RMS but have been unsuccessful in locating info on any check readers and compatibility with RMS. Anyone with a solution to reading, scanning, and electronically verifying checks at the POS? Rms only supports check verification using PC Charge. Also, RMS only supports MICR (Magnetic Ink Character...