check boxes + autofilter - is it possible?

hello,

I'd like to use Excel in automation mode to create a worksheet in which
consecutive columns of a row contain 1) a checkbox and 2) a label. I am
a beginner in this subject and all I have done so far is only filling "a
label" column using a code similar to:

oE = new ActiveXObject('Excel.Application');
oW = oE.Workbooks.Add();
oW.Activate();
for(i=1;i<n;i++) {
   ..
   oW.Worksheets(1).Cells(i,2).value = Label(i);
   ..
}

I have two questions:
1) Is it possible "to link" a check box with appropriate "label" cell
within the same row, in a way which allows to use autofilter on "label"
column, and which make "linked" check box to disappear as label is
filtered out, and appear again when a label is not filtered?

2) Is it possible to do this with VBA or JScript, and how?

I would greatly appreciate your help and suggestions. Any
link/example/www resource/tutorial would be very helpful.

thanks,
DD.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about an (easier) alternative.

Instead of using a checkbox (from the control toolbox toolbar) and having to
struggle with size, placement, linked cell, you could just use a cell.

Select the range
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
�;�;�;�
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

--

Dave Peterson
0

thanks,
DD

Dave Peterson wrote:
> How about an (easier) alternative.
>
> Instead of using a checkbox (from the control toolbox toolbar) and having to
> struggle with size, placement, linked cell, you could just use a cell.
>
> Select the range
> Format|cells|number tab|custom category
> In the "type:" box, put this:
> alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252
>
> But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
> keypad.
>
> It should look something like this when you're done.
> �;�;�;�
> (umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)
>
> And format that range of cells as Wingdings.
>
> Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
> mark.
>
> Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.
>
> If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:
>
> =if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")
>

> Dirk Diggler wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> I'd like to use Excel in automation mode to create a worksheet in which
>> consecutive columns of a row contain 1) a checkbox and 2) a label. I am
>> a beginner in this subject and all I have done so far is only filling "a
>> label" column using a code similar to:
>>
>> oE = new ActiveXObject('Excel.Application');
>> oW = oE.Workbooks.Add();
>> oW.Activate();
>> for(i=1;i<n;i++) {
>>    ..
>>    oW.Worksheets(1).Cells(i,2).value = Label(i);
>>    ..
>> }
>>
>> I have two questions:
>> 1) Is it possible "to link" a check box with appropriate "label" cell
>> within the same row, in a way which allows to use autofilter on "label"
>> column, and which make "linked" check box to disappear as label is
>> filtered out, and appear again when a label is not filtered?
>>
>> 2) Is it possible to do this with VBA or JScript, and how?
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate your help and suggestions. Any
>> link/example/www resource/tutorial would be very helpful.
>>
>> thanks,
>> DD.

Not by a single mouse click.

But you could tie into the rightclick or doubleclick.

If you want to try, rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this
behavior.  Select view code and paste this into the code window:

Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
                                            Cancel As Boolean)
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    Cancel = True 'stop editing in cell

    target.value = "x"
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
                                           Cancel As Boolean)
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    Cancel = True 'stop pop up from showing

    Target.value = ""
End Sub

I used column A in my code--change the range to what you want.

===
You could just use one event and toggle the contents--like:

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
                                           Cancel As Boolean)
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    Cancel = True 'stop pop up from showing

    if Target.value = "" then
       target.value = "x"
    else
       target.value = ""
    end if
End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thank you!
DD.

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Not by a single mouse click.
>
> But you could tie into the rightclick or doubleclick.
>
> If you want to try, rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this
> behavior.  Select view code and paste this into the code window:
>
> Option Explicit
> Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
>                                             Cancel As Boolean)
>     If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
>     If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
>
>     Cancel = True 'stop editing in cell
>
>     target.value = "x"
> End Sub
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
>                                            Cancel As Boolean)
>     If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
>     If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
>
>     Cancel = True 'stop pop up from showing
>
>     Target.value = ""
> End Sub
>
> I used column A in my code--change the range to what you want.
>
> ===
> You could just use one event and toggle the contents--like:
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, _
>                                            Cancel As Boolean)
>     If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
>     If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
>
>     Cancel = True 'stop pop up from showing
>
>     if Target.value = "" then
>        target.value = "x"
>     else
>        target.value = ""
>     end if
> End Sub
>

> Dirk Diggler wrote:
>> Dave, this is an interesting solution, very nice in its simplicity. I
>> like it, thank you. But I would have to adapt it further. Do you know by
>> a chance a way I could operate over those cells with mouse clicks ie. a
>> way to change a content of a cell from a check mark into empty and vice
>> versa?
>>
>> thanks,
>> DD
>>
>> Dave Peterson wrote:
>>> How about an (easier) alternative.
>>>
>>> Instead of using a checkbox (from the control toolbox toolbar) and having to
>>> struggle with size, placement, linked cell, you could just use a cell.
>>>
>>> Select the range
>>> Format|cells|number tab|custom category
>>> In the "type:" box, put this:
>>> alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252
>>>
>>> But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
>>> keypad.
>>>
>>> It should look something like this when you're done.
>>> �;�;�;�
>>> (umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)
>>>
>>> And format that range of cells as Wingdings.
>>>
>>> Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
>>> mark.
>>>
>>> Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.
>>>
>>> If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:
>>>
>>> =if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

It's still possible to do all you want with checkboxes from the Control
toolbox.

But there's an added level of complexity--and you may find that with lots of
these checkboxes (I'm not sure how many make up "lots", though), the workbook
can do some weird things.

--

Dave Peterson
0

merge MSN Bill Pay & Checking Acct

Printing Autofilter Data
How do I print Autofilter data onto one sheet instead of a few lines on say 20 pages? In page Setup, select fit to print and select 1 page wide and 1 page high. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C7DCB67-06B2-429C-99D9-D2B3A40FEF4A@microsoft.com... > How do I print Autofilter data onto one sheet instead of a few lines on say > 20 pages? Thank you! "Tom Ogilvy" wrote: > In page Setup, select fit to print and select 1 page wide and 1 page high. > > -- > Regards, > Tom Ogilvy >...

Control printing according to list box options
I have two list box's that control the report that is going to print. Text20 is the list box that displays the shed number, and the drop down list varies depending on what sheds are in the table. if a shed number is added or deleted, it is also added or deleted in the list drop down box.The row source is: SELECT DISTINCT [98MatingRecords].[SHED #] FROM 98MatingRecords ORDER BY [98MatingRecords].[SHED #]; The second is Text22, this list box has the sections in it and the sections are controled by the shed number, some sheds have 1 section some have 6 and some have 3 or 4, so the dro...

How do I create Check list

Sorting Items in a Combo Box...
I have a Combo Box that is sub-classed. I want the items in the list to be sorted by the lParam of the item and then alphabetically (upper and lower case separately). The dialog control being sub-classed has the Sort property set to true, but it isn't sorting them, or if it is, it is doing so in reverse of what I want. For example, the list contains "r, D, .s, .., and ." which is the order is displays them in from top to bottom, but I want the reverse ("., .., .s, D, r"). I tried setting up the CompareItem(), but it doesn't seem to be called. FWIW: - The Co...

Authorizing checks with RMS

Autofilter Displays Sums
I use Excel 2000 to display data extracted from DB2 via SAS. Worksheets use the Autofilter feature on all 45 columns and about 20 of the columns are summed at the bottom. There are also 4 hidden rows below the 'main' data, which is used in the QA process. How the data is updated (replaced) once every three months: Data is extracted from DB2 and a delimited text file is generated - the # of rows is noted. The target Excel file is opened and rows are counted. If the row counts are the same, the rows in the target file are selected and the 'Del' key is pressed - this retains a...

No Programs are showing up in the ADD/Remove program Box
XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade - clean install. Interestingly enough System Retore is disabled/stopped and I can not restore the service. Tried Regedit and looked for prog names >63 char, but none found under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. Any suggestions.... "Matthew" <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:494DD812-4BDD-473D-9936-5FBE50DE2F4D@microsoft.com... > XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade - clean install. > Interestingly enough System Retore is disabled/stopped and I can not > restore >...

Printing Checks

why can't i type in plain text control boxes?
I am building a template in Word 2007. In the content controls I have the option of using rich text or plain text. When I choose the plain text and protect the document to filling in forms I can not type in the content control box. Yet when I use Rich text I can't tab over to the next content control box as it tabs within the control box. All I want to be able to do is type in the control box and be able to tab to the next. Did you by any chance set the text controls so they cannot be edited? Undo that and you should be able to tab from text control to text control with ...

Employee Check Format-Graphical

Check Names = "Exchange Server computer is busy..."
Here's what I got: Active Directory on Server 2003 1 Domain Controller also running DNS and WINS No other DNS or WINS servers (I know, I know) Static IP Addresses...NO DHCP Exchange Server 2003 on a member server Client running W2K SP4 Outlook 2000 SP3 Exchange has 4 mailboxes set, but nobody is using it. I'm still testing things out. When I try to connect to Exchange via my Outlook 2000, I get the following message: "The function cannot be performed because the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is busy. Try again later" I've tried it from 3 different client comp...

File name list in the open dialog box.
In the open dialog box, how to delete the list of files appearing in the file name drag down menu in excel 2007? Not sure where you are finding this list. Do you mean the Recent Documents you see when you click on the Button? You can clear that by setting your MRU list to 0 under Button>Excel Options>Advanced>Display. If you mean the list you see when you go to Button>Open then you will have to set a new default file path to a folder that is empty. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:10:01 -0800, Acs <Acs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Printing MICR checks
Hello, We are having an issue printing checks on the Select Payables Checks window. When we try to print the checks we receive the error message below: "Warning: You have MICR but are not in a MICR screen. To use MICR, abort this screen and set up security access." The user has access to this screen but I'm not sure what this error message means. There was nothing related to this in the Knowledge Base either. Has anyone else received this error message before and if so how did/do you resolve it? Thanks! The user has the third party mekorma check writing module ...

Check off boxes
Publisher 2003 in use. I am creating a questionnaire that will be included in a newsletter. I am using the publisher software to make this form. Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Any help along this line will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and enjoy your day. Mike Mike Reshetar wrote: > Somewhere, in the past, I saw a keyboard shortcut to inset checkoff boxes, > however, I cannot remember the key strokes. Use Wingdings and the � or q characters. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher h...

check check check
afpoiadshfpaosid It is a feature, not a bug -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

trying to align shifting text boxes
my report has a number of columns and in 2 of them are a quantity of text boxes stacked vertically on top of each other in a perfect world, the data would stack INDEPENDANTLY in each column (without aligning across the columns) ex: COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2 textbox 1a texbox 2a textbox 1a texbox 2b textbox 1b texbox 2b textbox 1c texbox 2c not like this: ex: COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2 textbox 1a texbox 2a textbox 1a textbox 1b ...

spam properties check
When I receive a suspecious email (spam), I right click, without opening the message, to check the properties to make sure it is spam before I forward to the "missed spam" software of my ISP. Some spam emails then ask me if "I want to save the changes" before I close the properties box. I am then not able to forward this email without replying yes to "save the changes?" I did not make any changes, I just checked the properties. Why is this happening? ...

where is the install for default text box add-in
Maybe you mean Default Text Box v1.0.0.3 http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/add-ins Normal.pub? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lpyburn" <lpyburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:692EA943-DB76-474F-B4C4-CA0222EBA04D@microsoft.com... > ...

Outlook 2002 Send and Receive progress box
I am finding most times you send or receive email the Send and Receive progress box window appears and does not close automatically. even after checking the box that will close screen automatically. It is a very annoying problem. Does anyone else have same problem or is there a simple fix I don't know about. My email account is via Lan and is POP3 Thanks RC Take a look at this MS KB article, it may help: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q327/9/07.asp -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Rod" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

tristate check box #2
I have a tristate check box.The default behavour of tristate check box in windows is that, the grayed check box will become unchecked after click on grayed check box. But i want , the grayed check box will become checked after click on grayed check box in VC++ .Pls help me its urgent. Well, for Win32, you can always SendMessage the button a BM_GETSTATE. I'm sure with MFC there's a function that will permit this; it could be as simple as button_name.GetState(). Well, for the event OnClick for that button, you can get the state of the button and then either run it through some if-...

any possible way to generate a formula to get the same result
Sheet 1: L M Q (=2/14/2005) R(=3/25/2005) Date 1 Date 2 6/9/2005 6/8/2005 6/14/2005 3/15/2005 3/29/2005 4/22/2005 4/27/2005 Sheet2: A B 2/14/2005 3/25/2005 I generated the data in the Q Column =IF(OR(ISTEXT(L2),ISBLANK(L2)),"",IF(OR($M2>'Sheet2'!$A2+1,ISBLANK($M2)),NETWORKDAYS('Sheet2'!$A$2,$L2),"")) Then I do: =AVERAGE('Sheet1'!Q2:Q140) Is there anyway that I can combine two formula into one to display in column B without generating Q, R Column and so on? Thanks This is posted in other groups. "ciccia" <ciccia@discuss...