Changing worksheet cells from inside a function

Hi
The following code in VB (excel 2000):
----------- start code
function f(x as double) as double
   cells(1,1) = "A"
   f = x + 2
end function
----------- end code

produces #ARG error when inserted into a worksheet.
The offending line is:
   cells(1,1) = "A"
Does it mean I can't change worksheet cells from inside
a function ? But macros do it.
What I'm doing wrong, or is there a way around ?

Best greetings
Antek, Warsaw, Poland

--
remove SPAM before onet.pl
antekL1@poczta.SPAMonet.pl

0
antekL1 (1)
8/14/2005 12:37:59 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Antek,

A function, when used in a worksheet, cannot change or alter another cell.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Antek Laczkowski" <antekL1@pocztaSPAMonet.pl> wrote in message
> Hi
> The following code in VB (excel 2000):
> ----------- start code
> function f(x as double) as double
>   cells(1,1) = "A"
>   f = x + 2
> end function
> ----------- end code
>
> produces #ARG error when inserted into a worksheet.
> The offending line is:
>   cells(1,1) = "A"
> Does it mean I can't change worksheet cells from inside
> a function ? But macros do it.
> What I'm doing wrong, or is there a way around ?
>
> Best greetings
> Antek, Warsaw, Poland
>
> --
> remove SPAM before onet.pl
> antekL1@poczta.SPAMonet.pl

0
normanjones (1047)
8/14/2005 12:45:12 PM
Exactly that. A function can return a value, but not change worksheet or
cell attributes. So only the cell with the formula gets affected.

--

HTH

RP

"Antek Laczkowski" <antekL1@pocztaSPAMonet.pl> wrote in message
> Hi
> The following code in VB (excel 2000):
> ----------- start code
> function f(x as double) as double
>    cells(1,1) = "A"
>    f = x + 2
> end function
> ----------- end code
>
> produces #ARG error when inserted into a worksheet.
> The offending line is:
>    cells(1,1) = "A"
> Does it mean I can't change worksheet cells from inside
> a function ? But macros do it.
> What I'm doing wrong, or is there a way around ?
>
> Best greetings
> Antek, Warsaw, Poland
>
> --
> remove SPAM before onet.pl
> antekL1@poczta.SPAMonet.pl

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
8/14/2005 12:46:16 PM
Functions return values

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Antek Laczkowski" <antekL1@pocztaSPAMonet.pl> wrote in message
> Hi
> The following code in VB (excel 2000):
> ----------- start code
> function f(x as double) as double
>    cells(1,1) = "A"
>    f = x + 2
> end function
> ----------- end code
>
> produces #ARG error when inserted into a worksheet.
> The offending line is:
>    cells(1,1) = "A"
> Does it mean I can't change worksheet cells from inside
> a function ? But macros do it.
> What I'm doing wrong, or is there a way around ?
>
> Best greetings
> Antek, Warsaw, Poland
>
> --
> remove SPAM before onet.pl
> antekL1@poczta.SPAMonet.pl

0
Don

how create sum function in form field
I'm trying to utilize the sum function in a field on an Outlook 2002 form. I want the form field to sum up the other form fields. Sum is not a function listed in the value tab. Please advise. ...

External data link change

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

Why does the change change to a number?

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Simple EXCEL worksheet function
I am creating an EXCEL worksheet of people's names, company and location. I need to do a simple sort on name. When the list goes beyond 250, the sort function stops working. Is this a limitation of EXCEL? If so, can I continue the list on "Sheet 2", "Sheet 3" etc and still be able to sort through all the lists as if they are one? #1. Select the entire range you want to sort--don't let excel guess. I'm guessing that you have an empty row in the real range to sort and excel is guessing wrong. #2. Nope. Excel doesn't support this type of...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

How to change newsgroup message font

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I replace the last entire word in text cells?
I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or bytes. I this case, I want to replace the last word in all cells but the word is always different (ie. varying number of characters). Thanks in advance! Array entered (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER), this will work: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-MATCH(" ",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))+1,1),0)) Change the reference to A1 to which ever cell you want. -- Regards, Dave "George" wrote: > I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or > bytes. I this case, I wan...

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Can I hide a worksheet and set a passwd to unhide it?
Can I hide a worksheet and set a passwd to unhide it? Puneet Arora -- puneetarora_12 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ puneetarora_12's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18406 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389664 you can hide a sheet on the format> sheet menu.Dont know about the password thng tho sorry -- paul remove nospam for email addy! "puneetarora_12" wrote: > > Can I hide a worksheet and set a passwd to unhide it? > > > Puneet...

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

Should I change this code?

Need to reference a block of cells from another sheet.
Dear All, apologies if this is probably a mundane question, but I didn't know what 'search terms' to put in google to return any results.. I've got a Spreadsheet with 12 tabs (sheets), I need part of tab 12 (sheet) to appear on tabs 1-11 (sheets), so that if I change data in tab 12 (sheet), tabs 1-11 (sheets) are changed too.. the cells themselves will never move location, just the data within them.. Is it possible? Regards Paul. On your sheet1 select the cell that should receive the data from Sheet12; Hold down the Shift key and Click on Sheet11 << this shoul...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003