Changing from Excel 2003 to 2010...?

At work, I shall shortly be upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010 as part of a
general IT upgrade (albeit with no change in hardware for users).

My colleagues and I use a large number of pretty complex, linked,
spreadsheets with lots of macros etc. Many of these run from buttons on user
created toolbars etc.

I'm sure Excel 2010 is an excellent spreadsheet programme and we'll all get
used to it in time... However, given the new ribbon UI etc I am a little
anxious about whether our existing spreadsheets will still work properly (we
can't afford any downtime). Obviously I will do some tests before we take
the plunge but I wonder if anyone who has already made this change could
either allay my fears or, if not, at least give me some pointers as to what
problems we may encounter (and whether they are fixable?).

I'm particularly concerned that we don't lose the user toolbar facility.
Will we need to use on of the 3rd party applications that restores the old
toolbar interface? If so, any recommendations please?

With many thanks,

none8133 (148)
11/5/2011 4:44:08 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:44:08 -0000, Victor Delta wrote:
> I'm particularly concerned that we don't lose the user toolbar
> facility.

If I remember correctly, that's one of the things you *will* lose.
Customizing the Ribbon is a lot harder than customizing toolbars used
to be.  You can add stuff to the Quick Access Toolbar, but (again, if
I remember correctly) anything beyond that requires programming.

Ron de Bruin's article may be helpful:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/imageqat.htm

                                   http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Your custom toolbars/menus will appear on the 'Addins' tab of the
ribbon, AND there will be no change in how they work. What users may
find annoying, though, is having to switch back & forth from the Addins
tab to use other Excel features not built into your menus/toolbar
structure.

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)
11/6/2011 6:03:48 PM
"GS" <gs@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:j96i6d$92m$1@dont-email.me...
> Your custom toolbars/menus will appear on the 'Addins' tab of the ribbon,
> AND there will be no change in how they work. What users may find
> annoying, though, is having to switch back & forth from the Addins tab to
> use other Excel features not built into your menus/toolbar structure.
>
> --
> Garry

Thanks but is there really no way of adding a few custom buttons which are
always accessible (as well as the other usual Excel features)?

none8133 (148)
11/7/2011 12:13:22 AM
Victor Delta expressed precisely :
> "GS" <gs@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:j96i6d$92m$1@dont-email.me...
>> Your custom toolbars/menus will appear on the 'Addins' tab of the ribbon,
>> AND there will be no change in how they work. What users may find annoying,
>> though, is having to switch back & forth from the Addins tab to use other
>> Excel features not built into your menus/toolbar structure.
>>
>> -- Garry
>
> Thanks but is there really no way of adding a few custom buttons which are
> always accessible (as well as the other usual Excel features)?

They ARE accessible via the 'Addins' tab. Are you wanting to make them
available via a custom tab? If so, you'll need 2 versions of your
project since v12 and later control menus via the XLM component of
their files. I just use the same XLA or XLS for early and late versions
for simplicity of project maintenance. I do suggest, however, that you
immerse yourself in Ron DeBrun's examples for manipulating the Ribbon
since it's obviously here to stay going forward. I expect to continue
using early version files until MS no longer supports updates for 2003.
I just make sure my projects are 'version aware'!

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)
11/7/2011 2:54:52 PM
Garry,
  amen
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"GS" <gs@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:j98rg4$8vf$1@dont-email.me...
> Victor Delta expressed precisely :
>> "GS" <gs@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>>> Your custom toolbars/menus will appear on the 'Addins' tab of the
>>> ribbon, AND there will be no change in how they work. What users may
>>> find annoying, though, is having to switch back & forth from the Addins
>>> tab to use other Excel features not built into your menus/toolbar
>>> structure.
>>>
>>> -- Garry
>>
>> Thanks but is there really no way of adding a few custom buttons which
>> are always accessible (as well as the other usual Excel features)?

> They ARE accessible via the 'Addins' tab. Are you wanting to make them
> available via a custom tab? If so, you'll need 2 versions of your project
> since v12 and later control menus via the XLM component of their files. I
> just use the same XLA or XLS for early and late versions for simplicity of
> project maintenance. I do suggest, however, that you immerse yourself in
> Ron DeBrun's examples for manipulating the Ribbon since it's obviously
> here to stay going forward. I expect to continue using early version files
> until MS no longer supports updates for 2003. I just make sure my projects
> are 'version aware'!
>
> --
> Garry

Thanks, although this is making me feel ever more nervous!

Despite what you say above, presumably overall you feel the advantages
offered by Excel 2010 still make it worth upgrading from 2003?

none8133 (148)
11/7/2011 4:32:48 PM
Victor Delta laid this down on his screen :
> Despite what you say above, presumably overall you feel the advantages
> offered by Excel 2010 still make it worth upgrading from 2003?

Victor,
I thought the release of v12 was a great improvement. I just couldn't
deal with the Ribbon concept. As time passed it became a non-issue and
so I don't have any worries about my clients not using pre-v12 versions
thanks to Ron DeBrun's samples on managing the Ribbon. Meanwhile, my
apps don't use most of Excel's features because they're 'task oriented'
and so only expose menus for the intended purpose of their use. I don't
make projects that run within a user's default instance of Excel so I
pretty much lock down the UI to the point where users may not even
realize they're using Excel. I do this with early version XLAs and a
dummy XLSM file that handles the UI settings. IOW, the only tab
available to my users is the Addins tab. All app features are available
via custom menus/toolbar on that tab. Since it's an automated instance
(not user's default instance), my menus are the only ones on the Addins
tab. Also, automated instances have no security warnings.

Eventually, though, I'll have to evolve my apps to use custom tabs
instead of menus/toolbar on the Addins tab. No problem thanks to Ron
DeBrun!<g>

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)

Excel 04-07-10
When I type a line in Excel the printing gravitates to the top of the line and not the bottom. How do I change that? Format --> Cell --> [Alignment] tab and choose the Vertical Alignment setting you want: top, center, bottom, justified or distributed. "patcher" wrote: > When I type a line in Excel the printing gravitates to the top of the line > and not the bottom. How do I change that? Format the cells to have bottom alignment in the Horizontal option. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:58:01 -0700, patcher <patcher@discussion...

Invalid Argument Access 2003
I get an invalid argument when I open my database. The database is the front end for a split database. I was working with some large imports. The file has swelled to over 2 GB. It should be around 50MB. I have tried to repair the DB from inside access and using the command prompt. I get a corruption error telling me to back up the DB and repair/compact. I have tried to rebuild the DB by importing to a blank DB. However, I get the invalid argument and corruption errors. When I double click on a module, Access tells me it doesn't exist. I have 40K lines of code and lots of forms and...

how to use excel to creat an oncall schedule
i wantb to creat oncall schedule for doctors in a hospital. each 2 doctors would be on call for 12 hours a day. it can look like calendar and it should calculae how many days each one was oncall up to date. ...

getpivotdata in excel 2007
=+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the pivot table is called "pivot1" and the reference cells represent (name of doc), (date), (procedure type). I get a REF# I have spent hours already and need a solution fast. Please Fern wrote: > =+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) > > I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the > pivot table is called "pivot1" and...

External data link change

outlook 2003- cant send to some distribution lists
User was upgraded from office 97. the PST was moved at that time. Fast forward several months... user hit the 2gb limit on her PST file. we created a new OL2003 PST, then imported all info from the old PST. Now whenever she tries to send to certain distribution lists, she gets a "unexpected error has occurred". when she hits send. if she tries to expand the distribution list within the TO field, she gets an error of "The command selected is not valid for this recipient. The operation failed." she can open it in contacts with no errors. We have deleted the list and...

Why does the change change to a number?

Position of New Excel Spreadsheet on screen
I have a number of password protected workbooks. The problem is, when I open one, it opens behind any currently on screen, so I have to close/minimise them to display the window where I input the password. Is there a setting where I can make sure all new workbooks open on top of those already open? I'm using W7 and Office 2007 ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Simple EXCEL worksheet function
I am creating an EXCEL worksheet of people's names, company and location. I need to do a simple sort on name. When the list goes beyond 250, the sort function stops working. Is this a limitation of EXCEL? If so, can I continue the list on "Sheet 2", "Sheet 3" etc and still be able to sort through all the lists as if they are one? #1. Select the entire range you want to sort--don't let excel guess. I'm guessing that you have an empty row in the real range to sort and excel is guessing wrong. #2. Nope. Excel doesn't support this type of...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ?
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? Rgrds, Zul If it was me do the OS first. "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message news:%23AeXnXErFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS > patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? > ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Outlook 2003 MSKSrver.exe! RUNS ALL TIME HOGS MEMORY!
Outlook 2003 Too Slow! I used the MicroSoft task manager to find-out what all the action in the background is! MSKSrver.exe RUNS ALL the time at 85 to 95 CPU and the CPU total usage is near 100% ALL the time with nothing major running but MSKSrver.exe! Whenever I try to do anything else, the new application takes forever to get going as it must compete with MSKSrver.exe! Why is that database server working all the time? What is it doing? I do not use "Favorite Folders" or "Business Contact Manager" yet, though those are areas show in MAIL, empty. I don'...

Office 2010 Beta in italian
Hi all, has anyone idea if and when an italian edition of Office 2010 Beta will be released? Thanks in advance. Luigi Why not ask on the Office 2010 Beta Forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "Luigi" <Luigi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C58DF7B-8F95-48B6-A153-BDA6EAF855CB@microsoft.com... > Hi all, > has anyone idea if and when an italian edition of Office 2010 Beta will be > released? > > Thanks in advance. &...

Mail Merge Publications as E-mails in Publishher 2003
I don't know what I'm missing but I'm sure someone can set me straight. 1) I want to send a Publisher e-mail template to people in my Outlook contacts. I'm familiar with mail merging in Word. 2) When I go through the mail merging process in Publisher, I see no option to actually send it as an e-mail. 3) I end up with a merge that has individual publications but no option to send these as e-mails. 4) If I do a similiar process in Word, at some point after I select that I want an e-mail, I get an option following through with the e-mail procedure. 5) I have read several post...

Inserting Video in FP 2003
I am trying to insert a .wmv file and a mp4 files using the Insert Menu, Picture, Video option. When I go into the Preview tab, I can only see the red square, blue triangle, green circle icon. (Video error icon?) I have already installed the WMP add-in for FP. I have Windows media player 11 installed. There are not large files - so it shouldn't take long to load. I tried to just drag the file over in FP and it seemed to create a Hyperlink, but when I previewed it, it still did not work. What else can I do to get these videos inserted on my web page? Thanks What...

Problem Changing an Investment Name