Change the file name in Macro

I created Macro that open several workbooks (actually 17 of them) at
the same time like this;

Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "H:\Month End Work\FY 2009\02-09 RUI SALES\01 - Feb09 CFW.xls"
Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "H:\Month End Work\FY 2009\02-09 RUI SALES\11 - Feb09 CFW.xls"
Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "H:\Month End Work\FY 2009\02-09 RUI SALES\21 - Feb09 CFW.xls"

It works fine till I have to use it for the following month. I have to
03-09 and file name from Feb09 to Mar09.

I need your help if you can advise me the more practical way to do it?
Do I need to change my Macro or write another Macro?

Thank you so much.

0
senput (5)
3/5/2009 11:13:04 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Define two strings one time and use them 17 times:

Dim s As String, t As String
t = "Feb09"
s = "02-09"
Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
        "H:\Month End Work\FY 2009\" & s & "RUI SALES\01 -  " & t & "CFW.xls"

So each month you only need to update two statements rather than 17
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200836

"terdampar" wrote:

> I created Macro that open several workbooks (actually 17 of them) at
> the same time like this;
>
> Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
>         "H:\Month End Work\FY 2009\02-09 RUI SALES\01 - Feb09 CFW.xls"
> Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
>         "H:\Month End Work\FY 2009\02-09 RUI SALES\11 - Feb09 CFW.xls"
> Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
>         "H:\Month End Work\FY 2009\02-09 RUI SALES\21 - Feb09 CFW.xls"
>
> It works fine till I have to use it for the following month. I have to
> 03-09 and file name from Feb09 to Mar09.
>
> I need your help if you can advise me the more practical way to do it?
> Do I need to change my Macro or write another Macro?
>
> Thank you so much.

0
GarysStudent (1572)
3/5/2009 11:32:12 PM
Can you use the current date to determine the names of the folders and files?

If yes:

Dim myPath as string
dim myDate as string
dim iCtr as long

mypath = "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(date) _
            & "\" & format(date,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES\"

mydate = format(date,"mmmyy")

for ictr = 1 to 21 step 10
  workbooks.open filename:=mypath & format(ictr,"00") _
                             & " - " & mydate & " cfw.xls"
next ictr

========
I'm not sure how the names are really created.  Maybe you can use a loop and
Format() to get the prefix for those filenames????

--

Dave Peterson
0

Dim myInputDate as date
myinputdate = application.inputbox(Prompt:="Enter the date to use", type:=1)

'minor validity checks
if year(myinputdate) < 2000 _
 or year(myinputdate) > 2020 then
  msgbox "Quitting!"
  exit sub
end if

Then
mypath = "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(date) _
            & "\" & format(date,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES\"

mydate = format(date,"mmmyy")

would become:

mypath = "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(myinputdate) _
            & "\" & format(myinputdate,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES\"

mydate = format(myinputdate,"mmmyy")

--

Dave Peterson
0
On Mar 5, 6:33=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Ps. =A0If you can't use the current date, maybe you could just ask for th=
e date to
> use in an inputbox???
>
> Dim myInputDate as date
> myinputdate =3D application.inputbox(Prompt:=3D"Enter the date to use", t=
ype:=3D1)

> 'minor validity checks
> if year(myinputdate) < 2000 _
> =A0or year(myinputdate) > 2020 then
> =A0 msgbox "Quitting!"
> =A0 exit sub
> end if
>
> Then
> mypath =3D "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(date) _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 & "\" & format(date,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES\"
>
> mydate =3D format(date,"mmmyy")
>
> would become:
>
> mypath =3D "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(myinputdate) _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 & "\" & format(myinputdate,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES=
\"

> mydate =3D format(myinputdate,"mmmyy")

Thank you Dave,

The problem now is that "Step 10" thing. I think since I gave you
example 01 11 and 21 you must've assumed that it was added by 10 for
every new branch :) ... my bad.
I should have told you that the branch number is built by the area
code so it's unique. Actually it's 03; 05; 06; 10; 12; 14; 16; etc.
It's not mathematical numbers at all.
How could I get it right now? other than that your VBA is awesome! :-)
0
senput (5)
3/6/2009 7:30:32 PM
Dim iCtr as long
dim myNums as variant
mynums = array(3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 14, 16)

' all that other stuff.

For ictr = lbound(mynums) to ubound(mynums)
  workbooks.open filename:=mypath & format(mynums(ictr),"00") _
                             & " - " & mydate & " cfw.xls"
next ictr

I'm not sure what etc means in this case.  I'm assuming that it's less than 100
(two digit numbers).

terdampar wrote:

> On Mar 5, 6:33 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> > Ps.  If you can't use the current date, maybe you could just ask for the date to
> > use in an inputbox???
> >
> > Dim myInputDate as date
> > myinputdate = application.inputbox(Prompt:="Enter the date to use", type:=1)
> >
> > 'minor validity checks
> > if year(myinputdate) < 2000 _
> >  or year(myinputdate) > 2020 then
> >   msgbox "Quitting!"
> >   exit sub
> > end if
> >
> > Then
> > mypath = "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(date) _
> >             & "\" & format(date,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES\"
> >
> > mydate = format(date,"mmmyy")
> >
> > would become:
> >
> > mypath = "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(myinputdate) _
> >             & "\" & format(myinputdate,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES\"
> >
> > mydate = format(myinputdate,"mmmyy")
> >

> Thank you Dave,
>
> The problem now is that "Step 10" thing. I think since I gave you
> example 01 11 and 21 you must've assumed that it was added by 10 for
> every new branch :) ... my bad.
> I should have told you that the branch number is built by the area
> code so it's unique. Actually it's 03; 05; 06; 10; 12; 14; 16; etc.
> It's not mathematical numbers at all.
> How could I get it right now? other than that your VBA is awesome! :-)

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
3/6/2009 10:42:33 PM
On Mar 6, 2:42=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Dim iCtr as long
> dim myNums as variant
> mynums =3D array(3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 14, 16)
>
> ' all that other stuff.
>
> For ictr =3D lbound(mynums) to ubound(mynums)
> =A0 workbooks.open filename:=3Dmypath & format(mynums(ictr),"00") _
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0& " - " & myda=
te & " cfw.xls"
> next ictr
>
> I'm not sure what etc means in this case. =A0I'm assuming that it's less =
than 100
> (two digit numbers).
>

> terdampar wrote:
>
> > On Mar 5, 6:33 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> > > Ps. =A0If you can't use the current date, maybe you could just ask fo=
r the date to
> > > use in an inputbox???
>
> > > Dim myInputDate as date
> > > myinputdate =3D application.inputbox(Prompt:=3D"Enter the date to use=
", type:=3D1)

> > > 'minor validity checks
> > > if year(myinputdate) < 2000 _
> > > =A0or year(myinputdate) > 2020 then
> > > =A0 msgbox "Quitting!"
> > > =A0 exit sub
> > > end if
>
> > > Then
> > > mypath =3D "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(date) _
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 & "\" & format(date,"mm-yy") & " RUI SALES\"
>
> > > mydate =3D format(date,"mmmyy")
>
> > > would become:
>
> > > mypath =3D "H:\Month End Work\FY " & year(myinputdate) _
> > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 & "\" & format(myinputdate,"mm-yy") & " RUI S=
ALES\"

> > > mydate =3D format(myinputdate,"mmmyy")
>
> > Thank you Dave,
>
> > The problem now is that "Step 10" thing. I think since I gave you
> > example 01 11 and 21 you must've assumed that it was added by 10 for
> > every new branch :) ... my bad.
> > I should have told you that the branch number is built by the area
> > code so it's unique. Actually it's 03; 05; 06; 10; 12; 14; 16; etc.
> > It's not mathematical numbers at all.
> > How could I get it right now? other than that your VBA is awesome! :-)
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

It works great!! ... thank you so much! :-)
etc means we have another branches, but for now it's not more than 17
branches. I just didn't want to say all.
0
senput (5)
3/6/2009 11:26:11 PM
I understand what etcetera means.  I'm just wasn't sure what you meant by it.

But glad you got it working.

terdampar wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2:42 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> > Dim iCtr as long
> > dim myNums as variant
> > mynums = array(3, 5, 6, 10, 12, 14, 16)
> >
> > ' all that other stuff.
> >
> > For ictr = lbound(mynums) to ubound(mynums)
> >   workbooks.open filename:=mypath & format(mynums(ictr),"00") _
> >                              & " - " & mydate & " cfw.xls"
> > next ictr
> >
> > I'm not sure what etc means in this case.  I'm assuming that it's less than 100
> > (two digit numbers).
> >

> > terdampar wrote:

> > > Thank you Dave,
> >
> > > The problem now is that "Step 10" thing. I think since I gave you
> > > example 01 11 and 21 you must've assumed that it was added by 10 for
> > > every new branch :) ... my bad.
> > > I should have told you that the branch number is built by the area
> > > code so it's unique. Actually it's 03; 05; 06; 10; 12; 14; 16; etc.
> > > It's not mathematical numbers at all.
> > > How could I get it right now? other than that your VBA is awesome! :-)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

> It works great!! ... thank you so much! :-)
> etc means we have another branches, but for now it's not more than 17
> branches. I just didn't want to say all.

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)

macro to print form to PDFCreator
We have a cost of quality database with 18,000 records and growing. Customer service opens the claim form and finds the claim that they are looking for. They need to be able to e-mail this to our credit manager in pdf format so that she can issue the credit memo and so it can be sent to our imaging software in pdf format. We have PDFCreator installed on their PC but I want to create a button on the form to automate this so that they don't accidentally print all 18,000 records to a pdf file and they don't forget to change their printer to PDFCreator. I think it will have to be accomp...

Is it possible to click in a cell and trigger a macro?
Should i have to use buttons? If so can i make them invisible and put "behind" a cell (i guess not:)? ...seems this is not possible and only choice is a selection change event. "serdar" <serdarsoy@yahoo.com>, haber iletisinde �unlar� yazd�:OJnY2Xl0FHA.2008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Should i have to use buttons? If so can i make them invisible and put > "behind" a cell (i guess not:)? > > You could check for a double click or right click--but not just for a click. On way around it is to put a rectangle from the Drawing toolbar over the ce...

How to skip confirmation for macro and update all links?
When I open an excel file, I need to confirm macro and update all link by clicking a button before it opens, does anyone have any suggestions on how to skip this process only on specific file only? which I trust. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric Eric, Is there any reason you can't save the workbook as a macro enabled workbook? What version of Excel are you using? Ken "Eric" wrote: > When I open an excel file, I need to confirm macro and update all link by > clicking a button before it opens, does anyone have any suggestions on how to &g...

write Macro or DLL to copy data from worksheet to memory
Hi, I would like to write some functions in Macro or DLL so that I can copy some data from Excel sheet into memory so that I can call back from other Excel sheets or macros. It works as a global variable array, something like that. Thanks If you must use global variables... Option Explicit Dim myArr As Variant Sub loadMyArr() myArr = Range(Range("A1"), Range("A1").End(xlDown)) End Sub The above code puts the contents of the current region of A1 in the active sheet into the variable myArr. myArr will be a 2-D array that you can loop through with code such a...

I need a macro to find cut and paste data to new cell #2
I have data that I have imported to excel which I need to reformat to be able to create a pivot table. The data is in journal form with the comment sitting in column D above the journal number. I need a macro to find cut and paste the comments from column D to column C. The comments are not all the same but do contain a common word such as "To" and as the journals are not all the same size the comment does not appear at regular intervals. Any help appreciated as I am new to VBA. ...

Publisher 2000 changes default font
Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have discovered fonts used by Groupwise have changed. This implies that P2000 has changed the default font somewhere - any ideas please? How do I change the fonts in GroupWise http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061270.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "PS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1be4401c45220$f2b1b4a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Having loaded Publisher 2000 onto a Win98 m/c I have > discover...

PSTE should display Project name on Selection
When entering Time Sheets in PSTE the user selects the project in a drop down list. It would be a big improvement if the project name was displayed alongside the project number. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutio...

display name #2
hi i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and not display name (Customer Care) how can i resolve it? Thanks An application should allow you to specify display name for sender. Does it send via SMTP or MAPI? Matrix_pd wrote: > hi > i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by > exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and > not display name (Customer Care) > > how can i resolve it? > > Thanks -- Please re...

automatically naming files for savingb

How to get a macro to do what i want?
I have designed a form in Excel and the data that is inputted i want to be able to save in a separate worksheet. The problem i am having is that eveytime i record the macro, it over writes the same row each time (if that makes sense). For example if i copied every cell in the form and paste them into the database Row 1, i then want the new piece of information inputted into the form to go into Row 2 and then Row 3 etc.... But it keeps going into Row 1, it wouldnt move down the rows. Hopefully this makes sense to someone and someone can give me some advise. Calculate the last row ...

Save As using contents of Cell in Name

hide/change color of selected row headings
Is it possible to hide the row heading numbers for selected rows (i.e. rows 51 and greater) for just the selected sheet? I'd like to have a color with no row heading number appear that matches the fill color I select for the adjacent cells. Secondly, any ideas as to how I can prevent the user from scolling further down than a certain point (i.e. row 51). Thanks in advance. Joe Row headings are either on or off, you can't hide some. However, you can achieve a similar effect by hiding *all* headings (Tools/Options/General) and putting the numbers 1:51 in A1:A51. to limit scro...

Insert Static Date as part of Macro
I've built a nice macro, but I want it to insert the date it is run in an empty cell within the macro's range. When working within a spreadsheet, Ctrl +; returns the system date, but I can't figure out how to put that command into a macro. The macro recorder editor shows that the system recognizes the entry as the current date, not a function that returns the current date. The now() or today() functions are both dynamic ... they change with the system date. That's not acceptable in this situation. I need to seen when the macro was run. Thanks for any help, Ralph di...

Macro to apply alternate grey/white shading to selected paragraphs
Dear Experts: I would like to do paragraph shading using grey shading alternately. Example: this is a sample text This is another sample text This is yet another sample text This may be the last paragraph acquiring grey shading This is the penultimate paragraph This is the last paragraph With these 6 paragraphs selected, I would like to run a macro which applies grey shading alternately to the selected paragraphs, i.e. grey/ white (no shading) alternately. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Use Dim oRng As Range For i = 2 T...

changing a name in mulit parts of a document
I am setting up a word document. This will be used as a template In this document I wish to insert the same "name" throughtout this document. Is it possible to change the name in one spot and all of the others change automatically thanks See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>...

Macro Security, Password Recovery & VB Code execution
I have found that if I set my macro security to high, VB code within (non-trusted) excel sheets do not execute... a microsoft security feature that ostensibly prevents non- trusted users from running VB The questions I have are : Is there a way to guarantee VB macro-execution using digital certificates or what-have-you ? Is there a way to detect, either within excel (well, not possible, it seems) or from outside, that the combo of users macro-security settings and signature status of a perticular excel file, WILL prevent VB from executing, if the file is attempted to opened ? ...

Deleted file in Outlook
I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it possible to retreive it. Thank you, Karl youthminman@yahoo.com <youthminman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it > possible to retreive it. Unless you permanently deleted it (i.e., held down Shift when pressing Delete), it will be in your Deleted items folder, unless you've emptied that folder. If you have emptied it, other suggestions depend on knowing what data store you're using (PST or Exchange mailbox). -- Brian Tillman ...