Change range based on value of a cell

Hi all,
I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on
a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number
is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to
count from D1:G1.

I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start
from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this
never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the
range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above.

Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to
replace the range in the COUNTIF function?

Thanks very much.
0
kwaldman (2)
3/19/2008 9:01:54 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Use it with the INDIRECT function, i.e.:

=3DCOUNTIF(INDIRECT(your_cell),condition)

your_cell is the one containing the calculated range.

Hope ths helps.

Pete

On Mar 19, 9:01=A0am, kwald...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on
> a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number
> is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to
> count from D1:G1.
>
> I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start
> from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this
> never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the
> range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above.
>
> Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to
> replace the range in the COUNTIF function?
>
> Thanks very much.

0
pashurst (2576)
3/19/2008 9:19:55 AM
Hi

You don't need to use an intermediate cell to concatenate the range, instead
use a cell just to hold the starting column number
Assuming your value of 3 or 4 is held in cell A1
=COUNTIF(INDEX($1:$1,$A$1):G1,"your_test")
Change the cell reference to suit

If you wanted to also vary the ending cell reference, then with that column
number held in A2
=COUNTIF(INDEX($1:$1,$A$1):INDEX($1:$1,$A$2),"your_test")

--
Regards
Roger Govier

<kwaldman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on
> a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number
> is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to
> count from D1:G1.
>
> I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start
> from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this
> never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the
> range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above.
>
> Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to
> replace the range in the COUNTIF function?
>
> Thanks very much.

0
Roger
3/19/2008 10:47:25 AM
On Mar 19, 11:19 am, Pete_UK <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote:
> Use it with the INDIRECT function, i.e.:
>
> =COUNTIF(INDIRECT(your_cell),condition)
>
> your_cell is the one containing the calculated range.
>
> Hope ths helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Mar 19, 9:01 am, kwald...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on
> > a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number
> > is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to
> > count from D1:G1.
>
> > I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start
> > from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this
> > never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the
> > range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above.
>
> > Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to
> > replace the range in the COUNTIF function?
>
> > Thanks very much.

Pete,
That worked perfectly! Thank you so much, this saved my a lot of
searching.
Kate
0
kwaldman (2)
3/19/2008 11:56:54 AM
You're welcome, Kate - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Mar 19, 11:56=A0am, kwald...@gmail.com wrote:
> Pete,
> That worked perfectly! Thank you so much, this saved my a lot of
> searching.
> Kate
0
pashurst (2576)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

VLOOKUP: Retrieving Values
Vlookup: I am trying to lookup a value ( SCOTLAND ) on a spreadsheet called ( Data ) in order to populate ceratin cells on my other spreadsheet ( Spreadone ). If the value (SCOTLAND) is located in (Data) I want it to copy the values of specific cells (not all of them ) from the same row into ( Spreadone ). So : CHECK COLUMN N (CLASS) IN SPREADSHEET (DATA) FOR STRING (SCOTLAND) IF THE STRING = SCOTLAND THEN IN SPREADSHEET (Spreadone) POPULATE CELL A7:A25 = ACCOUNT NO (from Data) CELL B7:B25 = CLIENT (from Data) CELL C7:C25 = CUSIP (from Data) CELL D7:D25 = QTY (from Data) CELL E7:E25...

How to change icon for my application

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

How to change newsgroup message font

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Display Formula Values
I have a number of formulas that are displaying the result using the value that is displayed in a referenced cell rather than what was actually input. For example, if my formula in cell A1 is B1*C1 and my value in C1 is .075 and the cell is formatted to display a percentage with no decimal places my formula in B1 uses 8% instead of 7.5%. How can I address this across the entire workbook rather than having to change the format in each of the necessary cells. Thanks for your help. What formula do you have in B1? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------...

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes