change font color based on value?

Is there a simple way to test a column's content for its value (date) and
assign a color to the displayed date based upon a date range?

Yeah, I'm new to Excel; normally a database kind of guy (or would use
Crystal Reports and create formula fields that would display the date only
if it was within a certain range and assign a font & color to it).

Thanks-

--Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

0
mikej1 (4)
4/9/2004 6:23:47 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

> Is there a simple way to test a column's content for its value (date) and
> assign a color to the displayed date based upon a date range?

Never mind, found the answer here-

http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

--Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

0
mikej1 (4)
4/9/2004 6:30:38 AM
Hi Mike!

Take a look at Format > Conditional Formatting

You have a choice of using pre-sets for the Cell value or your own
custom formula. Remember with custom formulas that they must evaluate
to TRUE or FALSE.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)
4/9/2004 6:33:33 AM
Thanks, I found it just about the same time you posted.  OK, now for
something a little bit tougher.

So you apply the conditional formatting to those cells... is there a way to
change the formatting of a different cell based on the original one?
(Obviously there is, I just haven't figured it out yet! :>)

"Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Mike!
>
> Take a look at Format > Conditional Formatting
>
> You have a choice of using pre-sets for the Cell value or your own
> custom formula. Remember with custom formulas that they must evaluate
> to TRUE or FALSE.
>
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

0
mikej1 (4)
4/9/2004 4:27:29 PM
Hi Mike!

Select (say) B1
Format > Conditional Formatting
Formula Is:
=A1>7
Format Button
Select Format to taste
OK
OK

You'll find that Chip Pearson has a good exposition on conditional
formatting and a whole lot else:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/cformatting.htm

--
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, I found it just about the same time you posted.  OK, now for
> something a little bit tougher.
>
> So you apply the conditional formatting to those cells... is there a
> way to
> change the formatting of a different cell based on the original one?
> (Obviously there is, I just haven't figured it out yet! :>)
>
> --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

> "Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi Mike!
>>
>> Take a look at Format > Conditional Formatting
>>
>> You have a choice of using pre-sets for the Cell value or your own
>> custom formula. Remember with custom formulas that they must
>> evaluate
>> to TRUE or FALSE.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
>> Sydney, Australia
>> njharker@optusnet.com.au
>> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and
>> Arguments)
>> available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
4/9/2004 4:54:33 PM
Hi Mike,
You want your formula to be used on the entire row
to get your color change for the entire row; therefore,
you need to place  a $ sign in front of the Column letter
so that all cells on each row are checking a specific
column on their own row.

Cells eligible for coloring are based on selection,
The formula used is based on the active cell.
The objective of the formula is return True (i.e. not zero),
or False (i.e. zero).

Select the first cell in the column you want to check (i.e. D1)
Select all cells on the worksheet (Ctrl+A)
   which keeps  D1 as your active cell on which formula is based
Format, Conditional Formatting
C.F. Formula 1  is:   =$D1>7

For more information on Conditional Formatting see
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

Thanks for posting with a descriptive subject title,
it helps everyone including those that search archives
for previous postings.
---
HTH,

> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > is there a  way to
> > change the formatting of a different cell based on the original one?
> > (Obviously there is, I just haven't figured it out yet! :>)

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/10/2004 4:51:43 PM
> Thanks for posting with a descriptive subject title,
> it helps everyone including those that search archives
> for previous postings.

I know what you mean.  I reply to quite a few posts on rec.bicycles.misc &
rec.bicycles.tech, and there just isn't enough time in the day to scan every
post.

Sigh.  I'm much more comfortable with bicycles & databases than I am with
Excel.  Guess it's about time I learn something new...

PS:  Thanks for the info, I'll try to figure it all out.

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mike,
> You want your formula to be used on the entire row
> to get your color change for the entire row; therefore,
> you need to place  a $ sign in front of the Column letter
> so that all cells on each row are checking a specific
> column on their own row.
>
> Cells eligible for coloring are based on selection,
> The formula used is based on the active cell.
> The objective of the formula is return True (i.e. not zero),
> or False (i.e. zero).
>
> Select the first cell in the column you want to check (i.e. D1)
> Select all cells on the worksheet (Ctrl+A)
>    which keeps  D1 as your active cell on which formula is based
> Format, Conditional Formatting
> C.F. Formula 1  is:   =$D1>7
>
> For more information on Conditional Formatting see
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
>
> Thanks for posting with a descriptive subject title,
> it helps everyone including those that search archives
> for previous postings.
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>

> > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <mikej1@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > > is there a  way to
> > > change the formatting of a different cell based on the original one?
> > > (Obviously there is, I just haven't figured it out yet! :>)

0
mikej1 (4)
4/11/2004 5:26:06 AM
If you're still trying to figure it out, there's another example here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat02.html

where the row is coloured, based on the value in column B.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>>Thanks for posting with a descriptive subject title,
>>it helps everyone including those that search archives
>>for previous postings.
>

> I know what you mean.  I reply to quite a few posts on rec.bicycles.misc &
> rec.bicycles.tech, and there just isn't enough time in the day to scan every
> post.
>
> Sigh.  I'm much more comfortable with bicycles & databases than I am with
> Excel.  Guess it's about time I learn something new...
>
> PS:  Thanks for the info, I'll try to figure it all out.
>
> --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycles
> http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

> "David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Mike,
>>You want your formula to be used on the entire row
>>to get your color change for the entire row; therefore,
>>you need to place  a $ sign in front of the Column letter
>>so that all cells on each row are checking a specific
>>column on their own row.
>>
>>Cells eligible for coloring are based on selection,
>>The formula used is based on the active cell.
>>The objective of the formula is return True (i.e. not zero),
>>or False (i.e. zero).
>>
>>Select the first cell in the column you want to check (i.e. D1)
>>Select all cells on the worksheet (Ctrl+A)
>>   which keeps  D1 as your active cell on which formula is based
>>Format, Conditional Formatting
>>C.F. Formula 1  is:   =$D1>7
>>
>>For more information on Conditional Formatting see
>>   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
>>
>>Thanks for posting with a descriptive subject title,
>>it helps everyone including those that search archives
>>for previous postings.
>>---
>>HTH,
>>David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>>My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
>>Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

VLOOKUP: Retrieving Values
Vlookup: I am trying to lookup a value ( SCOTLAND ) on a spreadsheet called ( Data ) in order to populate ceratin cells on my other spreadsheet ( Spreadone ). If the value (SCOTLAND) is located in (Data) I want it to copy the values of specific cells (not all of them ) from the same row into ( Spreadone ). So : CHECK COLUMN N (CLASS) IN SPREADSHEET (DATA) FOR STRING (SCOTLAND) IF THE STRING = SCOTLAND THEN IN SPREADSHEET (Spreadone) POPULATE CELL A7:A25 = ACCOUNT NO (from Data) CELL B7:B25 = CLIENT (from Data) CELL C7:C25 = CUSIP (from Data) CELL D7:D25 = QTY (from Data) CELL E7:E25...

How to change icon for my application

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How to change newsgroup message font

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

Change a formula to an acual number

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Display Formula Values
I have a number of formulas that are displaying the result using the value that is displayed in a referenced cell rather than what was actually input. For example, if my formula in cell A1 is B1*C1 and my value in C1 is .075 and the cell is formatted to display a percentage with no decimal places my formula in B1 uses 8% instead of 7.5%. How can I address this across the entire workbook rather than having to change the format in each of the necessary cells. Thanks for your help. What formula do you have in B1? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------...

Field Type Change

Tracking Changes

Save Changes? #2