Change 2 names in one cell to one name in 2 cells

Is there a way that if there are two names in one cell (a1), i.e.;
Johnson--Jackson, that they can be changed to be listed in two
different cells, such as, Johnson in cell b1 and Jackson in cell b2. I
have a very long list of names and I do not want to go through the list
and type every thing in again.
Thanks for any assistance you can give me. WAB

0
noway667 (5)
6/17/2005 11:26:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Use the Data/Text to Columns wizard.

In article <1119050807.036631.231330@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
 "wab" <noway667@att.net> wrote:

> Is there a way that if there are two names in one cell (a1), i.e.;
> Johnson--Jackson, that they can be changed to be listed in two
> different cells, such as, Johnson in cell b1 and Jackson in cell b2. I
> have a very long list of names and I do not want to go through the list
> and type every thing in again.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
6/17/2005 11:36:13 PM
Thank you!

JE McGimpsey wrote:
> Use the Data/Text to Columns wizard.
>
> In article <1119050807.036631.231330@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>  "wab" <noway667@att.net> wrote:
>
> > Is there a way that if there are two names in one cell (a1), i.e.;
> > Johnson--Jackson, that they can be changed to be listed in two
> > different cells, such as, Johnson in cell b1 and Jackson in cell b2. I
> > have a very long list of names and I do not want to go through the list
> > and type every thing in again.

0
noway667 (5)

External data link change

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

Why does the change change to a number?

VBA Help Files #2
Kabel and Dibben - VBA Help files not on my installation CD any further clues as to where I can go on MSFT sites to find and download these files? Will start searching now yet could not find yesterday! TX JHAM Has been a long time since I installed Excel 97 and do not have the CD available. I think I remember that when originally installing the same thing happened to me when I chose the basic install......No VBA help files. Next time around I chose "Custom Install" and the VBA Help files were automatically downloaded and installed from the 'net. If you have the CD try the ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

Installation problems #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Hi When i install office on my desktop it installs ok but when i try to open word or excel it comes up with the customer experience program everytime and launches microsoft update i then click "no, i dont want to participate at this time." and then continue, then the get started window appears and i click finish but nothing happens, then if i try to open word or excel again it does the same thing again and it doesnt ask for the product key at any time. But when i installed office on my macbook it works fine,...

How to change newsgroup message font

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

Pvt Table Question #2
Hi, I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a pvt table using two sheets? If so, how do you do this? Thanks! Alt/DP, then choose Multiple consolidation ranges -- the UI was removed from the ribbon. "lj" <lj@spu.edu> wrote in message news:a137474c-7ea2-4c35-a9ab-43af7056c140@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I'm in excel 2007. I have a couple of really big sheets and would > like to make a pvt table. My question is - is it possible to make a > pvt table...

How do I replace the last entire word in text cells?
I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or bytes. I this case, I want to replace the last word in all cells but the word is always different (ie. varying number of characters). Thanks in advance! Array entered (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER), this will work: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-MATCH(" ",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))+1,1),0)) Change the reference to A1 to which ever cell you want. -- Regards, Dave "George" wrote: > I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or > bytes. I this case, I wan...

Service Pack 2 woes
I installed Office Service pack 2 on several users and have run into an issue. The problem seems to only manifests itself on user who do not have admin rights. The issues surrounds scheduling resources. When a non-admin rights user schedules a meeting with a resource (conference room) and presses the send button, the immediately get an error message like: "The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied. Unable to directly book a resource for this meeting" If I remove SP2 then all things return to normal and the user can now rese...

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ?
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? Rgrds, Zul If it was me do the OS first. "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message news:%23AeXnXErFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS > patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? > ...

Cannot open file after installing Office 2007 Service Pack 2
I cannot open the publisher files after I installed Office 2007 Service Pack 2. Does anybody know what to do? Luckily one of our PCs has not yet the SP2. this way I can at least work. Thanks for help Stefan Are you getting an error? You may have to do a registry fix: Error message when you try to open a publication in Publisher: "Publisher cannot open the file" or "Publisher has detected a problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928890/en-us Do you have Norton? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us ...

migration from lotus to exchange #2
hello maybe someone help i have a lotus domino server v5 and i wanna migrate to exchange 2000 or 2003 (serwer Microsoft 2000 server) maybe someone have some document about this please send me information where i can find that documents thanks ...

Change a formula to an acual number

CTreeCtrl : 2 or more overlays
Hi, I use CTreeCtrl::SetItemState to show overlayed images for a tree item icon. For different states of object different overlays are used. My question is: can I use two overlayed images simultaneously? I tried, the last one just overwrites the first one. Of course I can create third image that combines those two. I just want to make sure there is no other way to implement this. (Prefer to code rather than paint). Regards, ~Peter To the best of my knowledge, no. It is also hard to come up with overlays that Play Well Together under these conditions. I'd suggest the third-image appr...

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

Problem Changing an Investment Name