Centering text on a page

Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top of the
page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then using the
space bar to find the exact midpoint?

Thnxs

0
jdignam (4)
2/14/2004 12:54:59 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Justin!

Select the cells across your page
Format > Cells > Alignment
Place check in "Merge cells"
Horizontal and Vertical drop downs should be set at Center
OK

There is a standard toolbar button for this. Use:

View > Toolbars > Customize
Look under Format for the Merge and Center button
Click and drag it to your toolbar.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
"Justin" <jdignam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top
of the
> page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then
using the
> space bar to find the exact midpoint?
>
> Thnxs

0
njharker (1646)
2/14/2004 1:02:38 AM
Using this avoids the problems with using merge cells.

Sub CenterAcross()
Selection.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenterAcrossSelection
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Justin" <jdignam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top of the
> page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then using
the
> space bar to find the exact midpoint?
>
> Thnxs

0
Don
2/14/2004 1:00:44 PM
I *can not* believe that someone is *recommending* the use of "Merge Cells"
!
--

Regards,

RD

"Justin" <jdignam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top of the
page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then using the
space bar to find the exact midpoint?

Thnxs

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
2/14/2004 4:19:31 PM
The people from "down under" do things upside down.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> I *can not* believe that someone is *recommending* the use of "Merge
Cells"
> !
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> RD
> Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit !
>
> "Justin" <jdignam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to center text automatically in a row across the top of the
> page without having to pick a column that is close to center, then using
the
> space bar to find the exact midpoint?
>
> Thnxs

0
Don
2/14/2004 4:32:23 PM
Especially when "center across selection" is available.

Gord

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:19:31 -0800, "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:

>I *can not* believe that someone is *recommending* the use of "Merge Cells"
>!

0
Gord
2/14/2004 5:22:36 PM
Hi!

Point taken! Must have been very late down here.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.
"RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> I *can not* believe that someone is *recommending* the use of "Merge
Cells"
> !
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> RD

0
njharker (1646)

copy paste from Excel to outlook as text
Hi, How to copy from MS Excel 2003 data and paste as plain unformatted text to Outlook 2003 Email? The Outlook 2003 paste special is dimmed out. Now it's pasted as Excel object or something, which one can't edit properly and recipients may have problems too ... Actually I never needed to paste Excel as Excel object to Email, while I have been a frequent user of both . Therefore it's has left an obscure option for me. John Hi John, I find when I copy from excel (using control C) and paste into Outlook (using control V), and both are 2003 versions, I get a table as in wo...

Frontpage 2003, can you change the page dimensions?
My website is enormously wide! How can I shrink it down to the standard size? Rfaulkner wrote: > My website is enormously wide! How can I shrink it down to the standard > size? Vegetables. -- ..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc Free usenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org What is the standard size? I use a fixed width layout set to 760px wide. This fits every screen (excluding mobiles) currently in existence, bearing in mind that most wide screen...

logging to text file and opening at end of program
Hi, I'm using a utility class to provide debugging notes during program run to see where things are happening. ....in class Util.vb..... Public Sub Logentry(ByVal strMsg As String) If m_Debug Then File.AppendAllText(m_DebugFileName, strMsg + Environment.NewLine) End If End Sub Sub OpenDebugLog() Process.Start(m_DebugFileName) End Sub .............................. then in program call logentry at points of interest... at end of program call OpenDebugLog ....in file program.vb... Protected Overrides Sub Finalize() m_util.OpenDebugLog() m_u...

How do I save multiple messages as text file?
When I select multiple messages -> file -> save as text file. Only the headers of the messages are saved and not the bodies. In Outlook 2003, how do I save the bodies also? Thanks. ...

Text over a picture
I am trying to put text over a picture. The picture is in place, then I put a text frame over it. The " fill" covers up the picture and I can't figure out how to make the text over the picture, but still see all the picture . It is a black and white picture and the letters are going over a black part so I was the text white so it shows up, but I can't figure out how to do it. Basically in the end I am trying to make the picture look like a watermark behind the text. Help! What format is the picture? The text box can be made transparent, select the box, ctrl + t. ...

Auto fill text columns based on rows
I'm trying to fill in Column A based on the info. listed in the first row for a section. For example, column A would list Store 1 until it hit Store 2 and then repeat until the next section. Any ideas on how to do this?? Thanks!!! Column A Column B Store Detail Competitors Store 1 Store 1 Detail Comp 1 Store 1 Detail Comp 2 Store 1 Detail Comp 3 Store 1 Detail Comp 4 Store 4 Store 4 Detail Comp 1 Store 4 Detail Comp 2 Store 4 Detail C...

widows media centers tv
I have installed a tv card that actually came with the computer. Some german name haupp something. It used to work, now it doesn't. The media center tells me that it is a hardware failure, but I doubt that. How can I reinstall media center? ...

Graph while ignoring text but not changing text to #NA
I have read how to trick excel into ignoring text within a series range by using =NA(). Is there a way to ignore the text in a xy scatter chart (i.e. does not plot as 0) but still keeps the text visible. For example on certain days a well is not sampled and so is left with "NM". I still want the "NM" to show so i can use that data in a report but would like to graph it as well. I realize that I could copy the data to a new location and get rid of the text there..however, my data is dynamically produced and I would rather not have to manual update my graph in that...

Number count on page
Hi all, I must have done something by accident that caused a large number 1 to appear on the first page and 2 on the second page...and so on. This number does not appear when I print. But I would like to remove it from my worksheet. Does anyone know what it can be? Or how to turn it off? Thanks, Toan Hi Toan Maybe you are in page break preview? Try View>Normal in the menubar -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Toan Chau" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012301c3c4cb$dfd92120$a401280a@phx.gbl... ...

Lost Message Text!!!
Using Outlook 2003 (all of Office 2003), all the latest updates, in Win XPSP3. I wrote a long important e-mail this morning, addressed to several people. I clicked Send, then Send and Receive, and assumed my message was sent. I received an e-mail from one of the addressees, indicating that the received e-mail was blank, no message. I went to my Sent Items folder, with the intention of forwarding that sent message to this one addressee. The message title appeared in Sent Items folder, along with the addressees. But the message was blank--nothing at all in message window-although I had ...

save text field w/ leading zeros in .csv format & not lose zeros?
I currently have a csv file with a field that has one digit numbers. I need to create a text field and convert the one digit number to two digit text by adding a leading zero. I have tried using the concatenate function to add the leading zero, but when I close the csv file, it reverts back to one digit. How can I get the file to save the field as text and include the leading zero? Check your CSV file in Notepad, not in Excel. Excel will frequently convert your text representation of a number into a number, even though it likely was written out to disk with the leading zero "...

unable to do 1/4 page landscape postcard in publisher 2007
I am trying to do a 1/4 page LANDSCAPE layout in publisher where I can print 4 postcards per page in the landscape mode. I have done this for years with 2003, but now with the new 2007, I can do it in PORTRAIT mode, but not landscape. I do not like the looks of in portrait, but everything that I have tried, will not work. If I try to print in landscape, it will only do 2 per page, not the 4 needed. I have done custom pages, with multiple pages per sheet, but I cannot get it do in landscape. Help please! Use one of Avery's US postcard templates in page layout. They work every ...

mouse over display text
Hi, I have a continuous form that displays dealer codes in one column, I would like to provide the user with a function which displays further details (eg dealer name) about that dealer if they hover over a particular dealercode (based on country too). I have created a query which displays the correct dealer and know how to use dlookup to activate this, but i think this might only work when the record has focus as opposed to a mouse over. I tried using Stephan Lebans example for continuous forms, but because I want the dealer name to appear in the controltip text rather than in a...

Excel "chops off" half of first line of text
I have a spreadsheet where one column is cells that each contain 30 to 50 words of text. Even after applying FORMAT, ROW, AUTOFIT when I print I lose the top 50% of the characters in most, but not all, of the top line of these cells. Everything looks fine on screen prior to printing. Has anyone any ideas or work-rounds, please? Hi, The easiest (and non programmatic) way to do this is to highlight the sheet, and mouse over one of the row divisions (i.e. between 2 rows, which you would normally use to resize). Double clicking here will expand all rows to autofit contents. Otherwise,...

page numb. in margins?
Is it possible to print page numbers in the margin of printed pages. thanks Bruce Hi, in excel 2007 go to page layout, page setup, heather/footer, custom heather or footer, 2nd option is insert page number, ok,ok in 2003, print, page set up, then as above "brucefl" wrote: > Is it possible to print page numbers in the margin > of printed pages. > thanks Bruce No. Only in headers, footers or a cell. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:21:01 -0700, brucefl <brucefl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to print...

What formula do I use to show the last cell with text in a colum
I have an Excel worksheet with 2 sheets. Sheet1 is for data entry and will have data in columns to record details of meetings, each row is a different person e.g. column B has details of first meeting, column C has details of second meeting, column D has details of third meeting and so on . I want my second sheet to be a report that shows the details of the most recent meeting i.e I want a formula in sheet2 that looks at sheet1, finds the last cell in a row with text, and copies this text to the relevant cell in sheet2. Do I use "go to" command plus a formula? how? ...

Repeat Text
In cell C2 I have a text entry, Installation Complete XA3C. I need to have repeat every 6 rows, in row 8, 14, 20,etc. Not sure how far down it needs to go, as that will be determined as the process is ongoing. Any way to automate entering this entry for possibly hundreds of rows? Thanks Paul You could add this formula to a blank cell: =MOD(ROW()+4,6) and copy down the column. Apply a filter to this column and select the value 0, which will display rows 2, 8, 14, 20 etc. Then <copy> cell C2 and <paste> to the other cells in column C which are visible, however many you feel you ...

Placing headings automatically at page breaks
Hello, Since I have a large spreadsheet with lots of page breaks. I would like to know is there a easy way to add all the heading names automatically to move to the first line of the page break. Doing it manually right now is very time consuming. ex: test test test test 0 o x x 7 j h d -------------------------------------------- page break test test test test I want this heading here thanks Mike, File > Page Setup > Sheet. In the Rows to ...

2007
Hi, I need to justify text in a text box but can't seem to figure out how - Thanks The only way I could find to do this was to add the Justify icon to the QAT and then apply it. I'd like to hear if there is another way. "Karin" wrote: > Hi, I need to justify text in a text box but can't seem to figure out how - > Thanks Click on the Text box and with the cursor in the text use the format icons on the Home tab. HTH Peter "Karin" wrote: > The only way I could find to do this was to add the Justify icon to the QAT > and th...

how do I create a macro of text in Outlook 2003?
I need to insert a short sentence in many of my emails in the subject line. I tried looking into creating a Macro via the Outlook Help instructions, but I don't know how to write code. It seems that 2007 has quickstarts for this purpose, but can anyone tell me how to do it in Outlook 2003? the term is QuickParts http://www.timeatlas.com/Email/Outlook/Reusing_Outlook_Text_and_Images Marie wrote: > I need to insert a short sentence in many of my emails in the subject line. > I tried looking into creating a Macro via the Outlook Help instructions, but > I don...

REARRANGING PAGES
i HAVE CREATED A SIX PAGE DOCUMENT, BUT I NEED TO MOVE THE PAGES AROUND. PLEASE HELP Please turn cAPS lOCK off, and tell us which version of Publisher you are using. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Hi SHELL (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || i HAVE CREATED A SIX PAGE DOCUMENT, BUT I NEED TO MOVE THE || PAGES AROUND. PLEASE HELP Please help us help you: 1. Don't use all caps when posting 2. Please tell us wh...

How do I keep page breaks for each page in a sheet without the co.
I have vertical pages with page breaks in between. Every time I open the document the content has gone outside the page breaks. So I either have to move the page break or re-cut and paste the content. I want to set the content inside each page without it going out of the page. ...

Weekday in text
I am usung the function =weekday() in a spreadsheet. Is there a function that will return the results in text (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, ...) instead of integers (1,2,3...)? =text(today(),"dddd") or =TEXT(WEEKDAY("12/25/2003",1),"dddd") -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "Wilfred" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:brmcnTXyNIDYAuSiU-KYgg@comcast.com... > I am usung the function =weekday() in a spreadsheet. > > Is there a function that will return the results in text (Sunday, Monday, > Tuesday, ...) instead of integers...

Dynamic Text Fields
Can publisher be linked to a database? Let's say I have some research article that needs to be constantly updated (weekly). 90% remains the same for the text, but numbers change. I need it to link to some sort of data source where my data & % changes updates automatically. The only text change would be something like Decrease/Increase, stronger/weaker, better/worse, etc. What software do you recommend for this? Do you think a reporting tool would be more appropriate? Please advise. Derik ...

center-center text in a table
In microsoft word I can format the text center-center, or center-left, or center-right, ... in a table. But can publisher do so? If Yes, how am I going to accomplish this. Sure can! Right Click > Format Table -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!" ...