Cells WON'T stop refreshing automatically

I have a workbook with many worksheets and links that I
need to publish externally with links locked so that users
won't get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
links..." message.

I have gone into <Tools> <Options> <Calculation>,
unchecked the <Update Remote References> checkbox, and
saved the workbook; however, each time I reopen the saved
workbook, the <Update Remote References> checkbox has been
rechecked by some mischevious gremlin, and I invariably
get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
links..." message. I have tried the above steps with each
of the 3 calculation radio buttons selected (Automatic,
Manual, & Automatic except tables), but that didn't work.
I tried copying and pasting each worksheet with the
<Values> checkbox selected, but that didn't work either.
Couldn't find this issue reported in Newsgroups or the
Knowledgebase.

Any ideas on how to put the smackdown on this gremlin and
stop the <Update Remote References> checkbox from getting
rechecked?

I am using Microsoft Excel 2000 SP3 for Windows.

Many thanks,

Chris
0
anonymous (74717)
9/1/2004 5:29:09 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try going into Tools>Options>Edit and uncheck "ask to update automatic links".

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:29:09 -0700, "Christopher Dawes"

>I have a workbook with many worksheets and links that I
>need to publish externally with links locked so that users
>won't get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
>links..." message.
>
>I have gone into <Tools> <Options> <Calculation>,
>unchecked the <Update Remote References> checkbox, and
>saved the workbook; however, each time I reopen the saved
>workbook, the <Update Remote References> checkbox has been
>rechecked by some mischevious gremlin, and I invariably
>get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
>links..." message. I have tried the above steps with each
>of the 3 calculation radio buttons selected (Automatic,
>Manual, & Automatic except tables), but that didn't work.
>I tried copying and pasting each worksheet with the
><Values> checkbox selected, but that didn't work either.
>Couldn't find this issue reported in Newsgroups or the
>Knowledgebase.
>
>Any ideas on how to put the smackdown on this gremlin and
>stop the <Update Remote References> checkbox from getting
>rechecked?
>
>I am using Microsoft Excel 2000 SP3 for Windows.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Chris

0
Gord
9/1/2004 8:46:10 PM
Not an answer to your question, but if you want the values frozen, why not just
copy|paste special|values -- at least for those cells with links to other
workbooks.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thanks,

Chris

0
anonymous (74717)
9/2/2004 4:25:14 PM
Hi Dave,

I had already tried that, but still received the prompt.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

0
anonymous (74717)
9/2/2004 4:29:08 PM
If you converted all your formulas to values, then maybe you have links in other
spots--defined names for instance.

When I can't find those pesky links, I use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

Outlook Inbox does not refresh
G'day, I have a question. We have an issue where our outlook clients do not seem to be refreshing when new mails come through. the only way to have them display in the inbox is to click on another folder (like Sent items) and then click back in the Inbox. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing this? does it sound server, network or client related? Thanks BS ...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

Changing Tab Stop Alignment
Has anyone else noticed a problem changing tab the type of tab stop in the tab box in the corner where the rulers meet? My mouse is not changing to let me click through from one tab type to the next. All I get is a diagonal double-ended arrow and a message about double clicking to shift-drag the ruler to another location. Things are not working much better when I try to adjust margins in the ruler area, either. This is a problem in Publisher 2003-- never had this problem in previous versions. Any help or explantion would be deeply appreciated. Thanks. It is a bug... The corner tab sett...

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

Too many different cell formats #6

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Create a script to automatically save received email...
Hi all, I'm trying to create a script that I can assign to a Rule that automatically saves the email based on Subject content as a txt file to a specified network folder. The Rule part is easy... but the part that has me scratching my head is the script! To do this would be an amazing help!!! Thanks in advance for any help. Ian. On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:49:03 -1000, IanFW <IanFW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I'm trying to create a script that I can assign to a Rule that > automatically > saves the email based on Subject content as a txt file to ...

Automatic data collection in Manufacturing
How does this work? I see where you can designate a workstation as an ADC processor, but where do you setup to let your bar code scanner enter information. What exactly is the setup on this? Anyone? "Dnelson" wrote: > How does this work? I see where you can designate a workstation as an ADC > processor, but where do you setup to let your bar code scanner enter > information. What exactly is the setup on this? If you figure the answer, do post. I will be interested in knowing this too. Scott "Dnelson" wrote: > How does this work? I see where you ca...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

Exchange2000 system attendant won't start automatically
I am running a Windows 2000 AD domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2000 member servers. I have Exchange 2000 running on one of the 2000 member servers. The Windows Server 2003 version of ADPrep/forestprep and ADPrep/domainprep have been run against the domain and replicated successfully without error and I have not had any problems adding 2003 member servers to the domain. I would like to now upgrade the Exchange and OS of the Exchange member server to versions 2003. I am hesitant to start the process since there is an issue with the starting of the system attendant. Ever since t...

Pause and Input to cell
Help, Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. How do you do this in Excel. Val, InputBox. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Val Steed" <vals@msn.com> wrote in message news:uEGWBOXTEHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Help, > > Back in a Lotus 1-2-3 macro we could use the command {?} to pause for input, > then the macro would place the input data in a cell, let's say d9. > >...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

How do identify a blank cell in a formula
Example: IF(s69=blank,"Void".... What I want to say is if a cell, (s69in this example) is blank, enter the word "Void" but the above way don't work - I don't know how to enter that in this IF formula. Barb, here is one way =IF(ISBLANK(S69),"Void","") -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Barb123" <Barb123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47...

How do I use Conditinal Format for another cell?
Assuming Cell A1 is the value "Red" or "Green" or "Yellow" How could I have a formula on Cell "C1" containing Conditional formatin the same as below if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red if A1 is "Blue" then Bacground of A1 turns to Blue if A1 is "Yellow" then Bacground of A1 turns to Yellow I assume that your statement if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of A1 turns to red should be if A1 is "Red" then Bacground of C1 turns to red ??? Assuming that to be true Select C...

Copying into Filtered cells
Hello - I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will record a Year group's data. Each student is attached to a Maths class. I therefore need to be able to filter for a specific maths set and then copy and paste that groups test resutls into the visible cells. However, excel just copies the results into the first 30 cells in the spreadsheet (some of which are not visible due to the filter) - does anyone know how I can get excel to only paste into the filtered cells? this is an example of my spreadsheet - the filter is on maths set. SURNAME CFIRST Maths Set Teacher Paper Level NC ...

Refresh data in the quick journal transaction grid
Hi, I have a requirement to allow user to enter and save amounts in the quick journal setup screen. This is also required to update the amounts as soon as the user selects quick journal setup in the quick journal transaction screen. I have successfully updated the amounts in the database as soon as the user select the quick journal. But the transaction grid is not refreshing automatically. It refresh (get the updated amount from the database) only when I click any row in the grid. Can any body tell me how can I automatically refresh the grid as soon as I updates the amounts in the database. ...

increase cell character limit
Hi all, Simple question that is driving me crazy. I'm making a table containing text and numbers. One of the cells in this table has 1459 characters. For some reason, the last couple sentences won't fill the bottom of the cell; instead, they're cut off. I can only see them if I increase the column width, but I don't want to do that since it'll complicate other things (readability, etc). So, how do I get all the text/characters to display in this cell? Thanks -- Weissme ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Weissme's Profile:...

MS Excel VBA DAO SQL where clause cell
Hi I'm trying to get a table of data from MS Access to MS Excel via VBA DAO programming. In my worksheet call 'Data' in cell D14 there is my string value call "toys & Chairs" I can get the DATA into MS Excel without the Where clause in my SQL VBA script. The problem is when I use the WHERE clause which sources its value from cell D14... In my VBA code. Firstly, cell D14 is defined in VBA: Dim r1 As String r1 = Range("D14") Secondly, MY SQL is: SQL = "LVL_1, LVL_2, LVL_3" SQL = SQL & " FROM table_ABC" SQL = SQL &...