Cell text not displaying (Excel 2003)

I'm having a problem with Excel.  Some cell text is not being displayed.  
However, the text does display in the formula box if you select one of the 
"bad" cells.  The 
files that do this are on a network share and work fine on my other 
computer.    I've uninstalled and re-installed Office and the problem won't 
go away.  I also tried copying the files over to the computer in question and 
that didn't help, either.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  
Thanks!

Chad
0
12/5/2008 8:39:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
661 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

Try this:

Copy a cell that is displaying. Select the cells that are not displaying 
then choose Edit, Paste Special and select formats.


-- 
Steve

"Frank Discussion" <FrankDiscussion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message news:50C6117F-DFBA-43BC-8206-E7BCDD9E8D95@microsoft.com...
> I'm having a problem with Excel.  Some cell text is not being displayed.
> However, the text does display in the formula box if you select one of the
> "bad" cells.  The
> files that do this are on a network share and work fine on my other
> computer.    I've uninstalled and re-installed Office and the problem 
> won't
> go away.  I also tried copying the files over to the computer in question 
> and
> that didn't help, either.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear 
> them.
> Thanks!
>
> Chad 

0
AltaEgo
12/5/2008 10:08:51 PM
White text on white background?

"Frank Discussion" <FrankDiscussion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message news:50C6117F-DFBA-43BC-8206-E7BCDD9E8D95@microsoft.com...
> I'm having a problem with Excel.  Some cell text is not being displayed.
> However, the text does display in the formula box if you select one of the
> "bad" cells.  The
> files that do this are on a network share and work fine on my other
> computer.    I've uninstalled and re-installed Office and the problem 
> won't
> go away.  I also tried copying the files over to the computer in question 
> and
> that didn't help, either.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear 
> them.
> Thanks!
>
> Chad 


0
ericNOSPAM (46)
12/6/2008 2:19:45 AM
That was my first thought, followed by someone with the office prankster 
creating a ;;; customs format. However, "worked fine on my other computer" 
indicates something else is happening ... or the prankster is VBA savvy, 
writing code so the formatting only happens on a single workstation..

-- 
Steve

"ebloch" <ericNOSPAM@bloch.com> wrote in message 
news:ghcnh6$a09$1@aioe.org...
> White text on white background?
>
> "Frank Discussion" <FrankDiscussion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> message news:50C6117F-DFBA-43BC-8206-E7BCDD9E8D95@microsoft.com...
>> I'm having a problem with Excel.  Some cell text is not being displayed.
>> However, the text does display in the formula box if you select one of 
>> the
>> "bad" cells.  The
>> files that do this are on a network share and work fine on my other
>> computer.    I've uninstalled and re-installed Office and the problem 
>> won't
>> go away.  I also tried copying the files over to the computer in question 
>> and
>> that didn't help, either.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear 
>> them.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Chad
>
> 
0
AltaEgo
12/6/2008 5:38:07 AM
And conditional formatting isn't applied?

Are you using multiple monitors?

AltaEgo wrote:
> 
> That was my first thought, followed by someone with the office prankster
> creating a ;;; customs format. However, "worked fine on my other computer"
> indicates something else is happening ... or the prankster is VBA savvy,
> writing code so the formatting only happens on a single workstation..
> 
> --
> Steve
> 
> "ebloch" <ericNOSPAM@bloch.com> wrote in message
> news:ghcnh6$a09$1@aioe.org...
> > White text on white background?
> >
> > "Frank Discussion" <FrankDiscussion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:50C6117F-DFBA-43BC-8206-E7BCDD9E8D95@microsoft.com...
> >> I'm having a problem with Excel.  Some cell text is not being displayed.
> >> However, the text does display in the formula box if you select one of
> >> the
> >> "bad" cells.  The
> >> files that do this are on a network share and work fine on my other
> >> computer.    I've uninstalled and re-installed Office and the problem
> >> won't
> >> go away.  I also tried copying the files over to the computer in question
> >> and
> >> that didn't help, either.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear
> >> them.
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Chad
> >
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
12/6/2008 12:55:56 PM
Ps.  Any chance that the alignment is vertical and the rowheight is too small?

Dave Peterson wrote:
> 
> And conditional formatting isn't applied?
> 
> Are you using multiple monitors?
> 
> AltaEgo wrote:
> >
> > That was my first thought, followed by someone with the office prankster
> > creating a ;;; customs format. However, "worked fine on my other computer"
> > indicates something else is happening ... or the prankster is VBA savvy,
> > writing code so the formatting only happens on a single workstation..
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> >
> > "ebloch" <ericNOSPAM@bloch.com> wrote in message
> > news:ghcnh6$a09$1@aioe.org...
> > > White text on white background?
> > >
> > > "Frank Discussion" <FrankDiscussion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > > message news:50C6117F-DFBA-43BC-8206-E7BCDD9E8D95@microsoft.com...
> > >> I'm having a problem with Excel.  Some cell text is not being displayed.
> > >> However, the text does display in the formula box if you select one of
> > >> the
> > >> "bad" cells.  The
> > >> files that do this are on a network share and work fine on my other
> > >> computer.    I've uninstalled and re-installed Office and the problem
> > >> won't
> > >> go away.  I also tried copying the files over to the computer in question
> > >> and
> > >> that didn't help, either.  If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear
> > >> them.
> > >> Thanks!
> > >>
> > >> Chad
> > >
> > >
> 
> --
> 
> Dave Peterson

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
12/6/2008 1:05:55 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

coloured cells #2
Hi, I have a user that created a spreadsheet that is highlighted by colours in different cells. On his home computer he can see the colours but at work the spreadsheet becomes pure black and white. If he prints the spreadsheet at work, it is in colour. He used to see the colours on the screen at work also. He is using Excel 2002. Any ideas? Joyce Look if he has set this Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility Options. Click the Display tab, and then click to clear the Use High Contrast check box. Click OK to close the Accessibility Options dialog box. -- ...

Working in Excel 2003 but not Excel 2007. Can not protect sheet.
Hi, User entered data on Excel Sheet(s) and send to receipant. The returned sheet(s) should be locked and should not be modfied by the receipant. It works in Excel 2003. However, it does not work in Excel 2007. User sent the worksheet(s) but the sheet(s) did not lock as in Excel 2003. Receipants can modify the sheet(s). I tried many different ways without success. Please help and thank you for your support. Private Sub cmdEmail_Click() Dim cnt As Integer Dim destWb, srcWb As Workbook Dim tmpWin, actWin As Window Dim stWbPath As String On Error Resu...

tasks to cell phone
How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when f.e. this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" <fwitkowski@gmail.com> wrote: >How can I use exchange to send tasks to cell phone. I want to do when >f.e. >this phone is away from the office. This is PDA phone. If you're using a Smartphone you can sync tasks already with ActiveSync. "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On 14 Dec 2005 11:38:11 -0800, "Filip - beginner" ><fwitkowski@gmail...

sorting error on non-merged cells
Excel 2002, WinXp Home My spreadsheet has columns for Number, Date, Text, etc. When I select a column to sort, Excel expands the selection to include all cells (as it should). When I try to sort I get the error message about merged cells having to be the same size. I looked at KB291063 but that doesn't help. The cels are NOT merged so why do they have to be the same size? What size is the error refering to (# of characters, absolute value, ?)? How do I un-merge non-merged cells so I can sort? Firstly I would never rely on Excel to expand a selection to include the data I wa...

Formatting text in a cell
Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like to be able to insert new lines where we want them. Thanks for the help!! -- akkrug Use the Formula Bar: 1. click in the formula bar 2. in the formula bar, move the cursor to the desired point of insertion 3. touch ALT-ENTER 4. enter the new line. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200855 "akkrug" wrote: > Is there a way to key text in one cell that is multiple lines? We would like > to be able to insert new lines where we want them. > > > Thanks for the help!! > -- > ak...

open attachments Excel program xls
I need help to open attachmens to e-mail. The program is in Excel xls and I have tried all the web page advice with no results. HELP!!!! Are you talking about doubleclicking an attachment in an email and having it launch in Excel. If so then go into Excel and do Tools / Options / General Tab / Uncheck 'Ignore Other Applications' -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Atti...

Finding combinations of cells that sum to near a value
Starting with a column of ~30 numbers, I'm looking for a way to have Excel find all combinations that sum to a target value +/- a specified range width. (For example, I may be looking for all combinations that sum to 1000 +/- 10.) I've found some code from Tushar Mehta that finds a list of all possible matches that sum to a number, but it doesn't allow me to put in a range to find sums to within a delta of this value. I tried modifying the code to add this in, but I couldn't get it to work right. Here is the code: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/templates/match_values/index....

separating multiples digit in a cell into individual cell
I have a series of number sets. When I copied from the MS Word and pasted them into Excel, all of the numbers in the set are pasted into one cell. I need those numbers to be in an individual cell. How do I do it? I think MS Excel 2003 was able to do it. I currently have Excel 2007. Please help. Thank you very much. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice A Wrapper for the Dispatcher class of Threading Namespace to manage thread items http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/bce7889e-d2cf-42b8-a6af-2f01a383cff6/a-wrapper-for-the-dispatc.aspx Hi, You may use Data >...

setup Microsoft Outlook 2003
I am trying to set up a new account to send/receive email. I thought I had it right but when I did a test and tried to send an email this is the error I received: Task 'Pat - Sending' reported error (0x800CCCF4) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCCF4' Please help. It looks like this error is related to an HTTP type account. Are you trying to add a Hotmail or MSN account, and if so, do you have a paid account or are you trying to add a free one? You can't add the free ones to Outlook anymore... -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will N...

Cannot send outlook 2003 email from other application
I use Photo Mechanic which is a digital photograph browser. I select an on screen photograph and the program prepares an Outlook send message with the jpg photograph as an attachment. However when I hit the message send button I get "Unable to send this item" error message. I have tried this with Outlook 2003 running and without but the error is the same. My Outlook 2003 is otherwise working perfectly with only one personal folder and I do not use MAPI only standard smtp pop3. I have read the MS support pages on this error but I see nothing which will solve this. Anyo...

How do i show the drop down arrow for a list in Excel
I have created an almost working data/validation/list in Excel 2003. I can see the note when I click on the cell, but it does not show me the arrow for the dropdown list. I have the "In-cell dropdown" box checked. Furthermore, it will not give me an error if something is typed incorrectly. Lastly, I can right click on the cell and it gives me the option to "Pick from drop down list" and this DOES work. I have created many dropdown lists before, but this one is giving me problems. Hopefully it is something obvious that I have missed. There are ...

Too many different cell formats #6
I am running into the error message: Too many different cell formats Is there a solution to lowering the number of formats I am using? Just trying to change them to make some consistent gives me the same error message. I tried running the search on the forums on my topic but they have been disabled for a Microsoft upgrade. Thanks! One idea - Rob Bovey's excellent Utilities add-in will list all the formats in use in your workbook, allowing you to manually delete what isn't being used. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ExcelUtilities.htm You can also see the source code for ...

Displaying a text file immediately after creating it.
I have a section of code that needs to output to a text file using CStdioFile and then immediately display it using notepad. I have tried the following, but it doesn't find the file. However, if I go to window explorer, the file is there. Any Ideas? CStdioFile af; if (af.Open(theApp.WORKDIR+"steerprt.txt",CFile::modeCreate|CFile::modeWrite)) { af.WriteString(tstr); af.Flush(); af.Close(); } HWND mainhwnd = GetSafeHwnd(); ret1 = (int) ShellExecute(mainhwnd,"open",theApp.WORKDIR+"steerptr.txt","",theApp.WORKDI...

How to get top to bottom image of an Excel worksheet
I would like to know how I can get an image of an Excel work sheet from the title bar down to the bottom of the sheet down to the status line. Then I want to superimpose text an arrows on it for a presentation. bobs Hit ALT + PrtScn(print screen) button to copy the window to the Clipboard. Open Paint or your favorite graphics editor and "paste" in there. If using Paint, you can then draw arrows in Excel using the Drawing Toolbar and the Arrow button. Draw an arrow on a worksheet then copy it and paste onto the picture in Paint. Text can be added directly in Paint. Gord Dibbe...

Add text in top of chart
I have added a Line chart in my document, but I would like to write in the top (on the chart) what this chart shows. But how do I add lines of text onto the chart ? Check out Chart title in Help. If not really what you need then you can try inserting a Text Box as follows:- XL 2007 Select Insert Ribbon Select Text box (In Text block far right of ribbon) The cursor changes shape. Click on chart and hold mouse button while you drag the text box out to the required size. Enter text in the text box. XL2002 and 2003 Show Drawing toolbar (Select menu item View -> Toolbars -> Drawing) Not...

Microsoft query does not recognize tables in Excel spreadsheet
Using Excel 2007 12.0 SP 2 on Windows XP I have created an Excel spreadsheet, C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx with two tables: Table1: X Y 1 1 2 2 Table2: X Y 1 1 2 2 Both of these are on the same worksheet, sheet1. The first table occupies the range A1:B3, the second occupies the range D1:E3. Both of these ranges have been converted to tables via Home/Format As Table. If I look up names under Formulas/Name Manager, both of these table names are there and they refer to the correct range. ie, I am certain that the tables Table1 and Table2 exist in C:\Temp\PracDbase.xlsx and...

cell in cell formulation possible???
Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." Is it possible to make that XXX a formula/calculation (based upon information entered in another cell)? ="We may charge you $" & format(A1,"#,##0.00") & " fee if item is not returned in good condition." HTH, Gary Brown "Abi" wrote: > Let's say I have a string of text in a cell, something like: > > "We may charge you $XXX fee if item is not returned in good condition." &g...

Do Not Want to count blank Cells
I copy pasted an Access dynaset (e.g., results of a crosstab query) into an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to use the function =counta(a4:z4) to count the number of entries (nonblank) in row 4. But the result is giving me 26 because it is counting blank cells. Is there a way to count the entries without counting the blanks or a way to easily reformat or change the blank cells so the formula will not count the blanks. I do not want to have to manually delete every blank cell in a table 26 columns by 2000 rows. Thank you, Steve CountA does what you want. It seems that you must have s...

Publisher 2003 labels to PDF
Friend, who does not have Publisher, asked me to make a sheet of labels using Avery L7163 label template in Publisher 2003, and send the results to her as a PDF. I went to File, Page Setup, Layout Tab, Label, and selected the required template. I know only the one label shows on screen and to go to PrintPreview to see all labels on the sheet. I have PrimoPDF driver installed and where I can normally print my Publisher documents to the PDF, it won't allow me to do so with the label template, giving me an error message "The paper type cannot be changed for this type of label"...

How to matching substring from a Cell
Dear Sir/Madam, I am now having a column likes below Column A My Name is David Chan Marry David Williams He is David and is a boy I want to find out Column A cells with contact the word "David', then display "T" on Coloum B if found or "F" is not found. The result should be as following: Column A Column B My Name is David Chan T Marry F David Williams T He is David and is a boy T How can I do it ? I have tried if( ), but it only match the c...

excel data base
hi there. i need some help please guys. i have exported some names & telephone numbers from a software packag (sms centre) & im trying 2import them in2 a package called e-txt. thes packages reads csv files. ive encountered a problem my exported files r saved in excel lik this... name country code area code phone number joe bloggs 44 07977 797898 but the e-txt database fields r as follows 1st name surname phone number joe bloggs 447977797898 how do i con...

moving cells
I have a roster with 30 names on a fixed schedule for 15 weeks i want to move the names through the schedule. Thanks Hi Paul, I would try an Excel web search on your Google toolbar or at http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en for excel rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets and a Google Groups search on a dropdown on your Google toolbar or at http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q= rotation OR rota schedule OR timesheets group:*excel* to get you started then ask specific questions if that does not provide enough information. --- HTH, D...

Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell
I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns, however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the content. The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather than the cell. Any suggestions? Many thanks If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the comments and create a table in another worksheet. Value Comment Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell. El Damo wrote: > > I have a spreadsh...

display on first occurrence of a change in the value
How can I have a report display a text message upon the first occurence of a change in the value of a field in the underlying table? In other words, the field in this table has the same value for many records in a row, but all of a sudden that can change and I want to alert the report reader once that subsequent records are now reflecting these changed values. What I think I need is some kind of switch that changes from say 0 to 1 when that first change happens. Thanks. Alan adgon, Use the Hide Duplicates propety set to Yes. Only the first instance of each value will display. --...

Rules only work when I first start Outlook 2003
Hi all. I have a problem with my rules in Outlook 2003. I've upgraded from OL XP, and now my rules only seem to work when I first start up OL 2003 and it checks my mail. I'm using several POP accounts and I want the mails moved to specific folders depending on the mail account they come in on. The rules worked fine when I was running OL XP, but now they only run on the first mail check as soon as I open OL. Any subsequent mail checks, either automatic (every 5 mins) or manual just sends any new mail to the Inbox. I have read about an OL prob where the rules don't work on the fir...