Cannot see shading in cells

I have tried applying several different shading colors to a column of cells
in an excel 2003 spreadsheet.  According to the Patterns tabs of the "Format
Cells" dialog the last color tried has been applied, I just cannot see it
(or any of the previous colors) on my spreadsheet (in normal view, split
panes, screen resolotion @ 32 bit, standard .xls file format).

Any ideas for me to try?

Thanks,

Norm

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Changes to the fill color and the fill pattern are not displayed in Office
programs

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;Q320531

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------

"N Burns" <norm.trash@juno.com> wrote in message
>I have tried applying several different shading colors to a column of cells
>in an excel 2003 spreadsheet.  According to the Patterns tabs of the
>"Format Cells" dialog the last color tried has been applied, I just cannot
>see it (or any of the previous colors) on my spreadsheet (in normal view,
>split panes, screen resolotion @ 32 bit, standard .xls file format).
>
> Any ideas for me to try?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Norm

0
ken.wright (2489)
9/12/2005 8:43:29 PM
 Ken:

Thanks, it worked like a charm!

Silly me, looking for things that affect the display properties in the
"display" Control Panel applet.  This did not come up when I searched the
Knowledge Base at Microsoft.com for every variation of Excel and "cell
shading" (as called in the dialog box) I could think of.

Norm

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Changes to the fill color and the fill pattern are not displayed in Office
> programs
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;Q320531
>
> --
> Regards
>           Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03
>
> ------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
> ------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
>
> "N Burns" <norm.trash@juno.com> wrote in message
>>I have tried applying several different shading colors to a column of
>>cells in an excel 2003 spreadsheet.  According to the Patterns tabs of the
>>"Format Cells" dialog the last color tried has been applied, I just cannot
>>see it (or any of the previous colors) on my spreadsheet (in normal view,
>>split panes, screen resolotion @ 32 bit, standard .xls file format).
>>
>> Any ideas for me to try?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Norm

You're welcome :-)

--

"Norm" <norm.contests@juno.com> wrote in message
> Ken:
>
> Thanks, it worked like a charm!
>
> Silly me, looking for things that affect the display properties in the
> "display" Control Panel applet.  This did not come up when I searched the
> Knowledge Base at Microsoft.com for every variation of Excel and "cell
> shading" (as called in the dialog box) I could think of.
>
> Norm
>
> "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Changes to the fill color and the fill pattern are not displayed in
>> Office programs
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;Q320531
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>           Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03
>>
>> ------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
>> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>> ------------------------------�------------------------------�----------------
>>
>> "N Burns" <norm.trash@juno.com> wrote in message
>>>I have tried applying several different shading colors to a column of
>>>cells in an excel 2003 spreadsheet.  According to the Patterns tabs of
>>>the "Format Cells" dialog the last color tried has been applied, I just
>>>cannot see it (or any of the previous colors) on my spreadsheet (in
>>>normal view, split panes, screen resolotion @ 32 bit, standard .xls file
>>>format).
>>>
>>> Any ideas for me to try?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Norm

0
ken.wright (2489)

I cant see emails coming in anymore.
I used to push send/receive and a box would come up telling me 'Receiving 8 of 40 emails' with a green bar going across the centre. Once the emails are received the box goes. If I push send/receive nothing happens. If I push it say, 10 times, again nothing happens. Once all the emails are thru the box that used to come up, than flashes up 10 times, but by than its a little late. Does anyone know how to get the box back? I would really appreciate it... KR Mick. I send this message using the forward procedure to somebody of the group My problem is likely the same as a lot ...

Getting data into Excel cells for OLE objects retuened from Access
Hello all, I have a MS Query in Excel filtering and retrieving relevant data from MS Access. When the data returns, all BUT the column which refers to a OLE object datatype in Access returns values. What should I set the format in Excel to see the OLE objects dynamically. Thanks AFAIK, that is not possible. Sorry. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <0dce01c3db7e$ba637bb0$a301280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hello all, &...

Not able to see all data but can see on another computer
Hi, I am using SAP application and if i retrive the excel file from SAP i can see only 48 lines where as i should see 110 lines but if i opened that same excel file in another computer then i can see all lines (110 Lines) i don't know why its happening. Can anyone help on this? Thanks in advance. Regards, Harish ...

Query to Access : does'nt see tables
Office 2000 SP3 FR From Excel / MS Query, I want to read data in Access tables. I choose the mdb file and so MS Query displays this error message (translated) : "This data source does'nt have any visible table". Original in French : "Cette source de donn�es ne contient aucune table visible." I transfert my data to a new mdb file : it work's few times (!), then the error message appears again. How to resolve this problem ? Jacques. Gotcha ! MS Query does'nt accept a file name with 2 dot inside ! Example : MyFile.mdb --> Ok My.File.mdb --> "...

How can I reference a cell using a variable?
How can I reference a cell using a variable? Example: Sub Help() For x = 3 To 7 For y = 5 To 9 Range(x, y).Select 'THIS LINE DOES NOT WORK. WHAT IS THE PROPER SYNTAX? ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = x + y Next y Next x End Sub Hi You use Cells(r,c) Range expect a column label like Range("A" & y) No need to select the cell to put a value or formula in it, see below. As you are just putting a value in the cell I would use: Cells(y,x).Value=x+y Sub Help() For x = 3 To 7 For y = 5 To 9 Cells(y, x...

Click cell to print?
Is it possible to have something in the corner of every page break (being71 rows a 8 columns) that if clicking it will print down 71 rows a 8 columns Something that wont print out either! -- Thanks in advance for your help....Bob Vance .. .. .. .. Hi Write a procedure/macro, which will print wanted range relatively to cell reference parameter Insert command buttons from Forms toolbar into worksheet (one for every page break), and attach the procedure to them (with different cell reference as parameter for every call) -- (When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee) Arvi Laanemets...

Sort First and last name in single cell
I have a mailing list of over 10,000 names, with the first name and las name in a single cell. The first name is listed first. Is there a wa to sort the column by last name or better yet isolate the last name t a separate column so I can merge the data to a different application Thank you in advance for your help. : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rpielet, there's no way to sort by last name, given the way your data is entered. Instead, use the Text to Columns command on the Data menu to put first and last names in separate columns. It's very intuitive. Check it out...

colors off or strangly shaded in player 11
Just recently, some of my movie files are in black and white, or have strange color shaings. Have tried to unistall 11, but it reverts back to 10 with the same problem, and so I reinstall the update for 11 and still have this problem. I also updated my video card drivers and still have no success. I don't have this problem with VLC or Jetaudio players. Any suggestions? ...

Create a user-defined cell to display shape's layer name
How can I reference a shape's own layer name to display as a field? Specifically, I want to create a text box with a custom formula or user-defined field that display's that shape's one and only layer name. I can display the layerMember index by using "=LayerMember", but can't figure out the name. Please no VB/VBA. Thanks. The 1st thing to do might be just making custom propery on the page. Then please open the shapesheet of the page, add rows to the Custom Preperty Section, (or Shape Data in Visio 2007). The number of rows are as same as the number of layers. An...

Select all colored cells
I am working on a code in visual basic for a macro in Excel. In the worksheet, I have an area that is green. What I want the program/macro to do is copy a formula in an existing cell, select all the colored cells (all cells are the same color) and paste the formula in the colored cells. Is this possible? If so, what does the code look like? Thank you! This might get you started: Option Explicit Sub testme03() Dim subRng As Range Dim cellWithFormula As Range Dim SuperRng As Range Dim myCell As Range With ActiveSheet Set SuperRng = Selection For E...

How to see my mail queue?
Hi there, I have a Exchange 2000 running on Windows 2000 server. Could you please tell me how to monitor my emails in my mail queue? I can't find a location on the Windows to see the mail queue status. Thanks in advance, Ross To view the mail queues follow these steps: 1. Open system manager, Navigate down to the following location Your organization --> Administrative groups --> Your Admin group --> Servers --> Your Server --> Protocols --> SMTP --> SMTP virtual server --> Queues You should then see all the smtp queues and monitor mail. thanks, J. ...

I see you
Well, not really, but I used Google Earth to zoom in on the Flatiron Building. You can get so close you can see the utilities on the roof, the hydrants on the street, the little parkish area across 5th Avenue, etc etc. Cool! Now tell me where your office is (like where is Peter's window, what floor and facing what street). Google Earth lets you zoom in all directions so I'll be able to turn the map to see that window. Silly I know but still a connection on some level. Pats looked good but not great last night. I didn't watch much more of the game. I'm not sold on ...

To See or Not To See
I have copied a few tables of text from a web page into Excel. Some of the information contain word that are hyperlinks or email addresses. Is there a way to change those columns of information to reveal the web address or email address? Thanks So is it just displaying plaintext currently? Have you seen this information from the Help Menu? When you make changes to the Hyperlink and Followed Hyperlink styles, your changes apply to all hyperlinks (hyperlink: Colored and underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a file, a Web page on the World Wide Web...

instantaneous cell value
This is probably incredibly simple but I've been going in circles with it for some time. I'm looking for a way to grab and hold the instantaneous value of a cell whose contents are constantly being updated. Any thoughts? You can "fix" the values of a cell by <copy>, then select another cell (maybe in another sheet) and Edit | Paste Special | Values | OK. This would leave the formula in the original cell to continue to update itself. Hope this helps. Pete thanks for the reply. this works as a "manual" solution but how can I assign only the contents o...

E12 unable to see storage groups through EX MMC
We've been running E12 in a test environment for about 1 month and just today ran into a situation where the storage groups for a server are no longer visible from the console on that machine. If we view the server from a console on a different EX server we see all storage groups and stores. Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks can you list the storage groups and stores from the shell (EMS) on that server? did you try restarting EMC? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- &quo...

Count Cells with alphanumeric data
Hi, I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data. example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu. I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers. If all of the ones with number have a number as the 1st character, then a formula like this should work, just change the A1:A8 range to whatever range you need: =COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<A") "Aris" wrote: > Hi, > > I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data. > > example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu. ...

Nice seeing all of you hopefully I see you in the other forum
really I just wanted to get the last post in prior to it closing today :) ...

How to copy cells horizontally to cells out of sequence
I have data in cells that are on Sheet1. This data is in Cells B2, B3, B4, B5 etc (All Horizonally, ie staying in same row). I'm working on Sheet2 and would like to know how to take this data from Sheet1 and copy it to different cells on Sheet2, but have the data fall vertically. I can copy this once and repeat, but I am looking for a formula that will do this for me so I can copy it multiple times. Example: Sheet1, B2, will go to Sheet2, K4. Sheet1 C2, will go to Sheet2, K5 Sheet1 D2, will go to Sheet2, K6 Please help. One way: Enter this in K4 of Sheet2, and copy down as n...

MS Excel VBA DAO SQL where clause cell
Hi I'm trying to get a table of data from MS Access to MS Excel via VBA DAO programming. In my worksheet call 'Data' in cell D14 there is my string value call "toys & Chairs" I can get the DATA into MS Excel without the Where clause in my SQL VBA script. The problem is when I use the WHERE clause which sources its value from cell D14... In my VBA code. Firstly, cell D14 is defined in VBA: Dim r1 As String r1 = Range("D14") Secondly, MY SQL is: SQL = "LVL_1, LVL_2, LVL_3" SQL = SQL & " FROM table_ABC" SQL = SQL &...

increase cell character limit
Hi all, Simple question that is driving me crazy. I'm making a table containing text and numbers. One of the cells in this table has 1459 characters. For some reason, the last couple sentences won't fill the bottom of the cell; instead, they're cut off. I can only see them if I increase the column width, but I don't want to do that since it'll complicate other things (readability, etc). So, how do I get all the text/characters to display in this cell? Thanks -- Weissme ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Weissme's Profile:...

How do I get the total of a range of cells that are in another she
I have two sheets in the workbook and I need to get the total of a range in sheet1 into a table on sheet2. How do I go about this? something like =sum(sheet2!$a$1:$a$5) note the ! after the sheet name bobf -- bob777 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bob777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=487937 ...

Need to add cell comments in unlocked cell on protected worksheet
Using Excel 2002, I have a worksheet that I have "protected" so that only a certain block of cells can be selected/edited. Today, I have a new requirement to be able to add/edit/delete cell comments on those cells that remain unlocked. But the options to do so on the cell context menu disappear when the worksheet is protected, but reappear when the worksheet is unprotected. When you protect the worksheet, scroll down and check "edit objects". This will allow comments to be added/removed/changed--along with other objects (pictures/shapes/etc). dan400man wrote: >...

Can I see My Calendar as others see it
Can I view my calendar as if I am viewing it by someone with whom I share? no. Your permission levels are greater. Why do you want to be able to? -- Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook in Canberra, Australia .. "laurelpowellcochrane" <laurelpowellcochrane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46AD6AD8-5B97-4D06-9F73-2D212B626E05@microsoft.com... > Can I view my calendar as if I am viewing it by someone with whom I share? ...

problem sorting data, says "this operatioin requires merged cells to be identically sized"
Need help with problem sorting data Error message says "this operatioin requires merged cells to be identically sized" After identically resizing the merged cells (which were in the header row), I still get this error message. If the merged cells are only in the header, select your range (avoid the header) and tell excel that your selection doesn't include headers (at the bottom of that dialog). parman wrote: > > Need help with problem sorting data > > Error message says "this operatioin requires merged cells to be > identically sized" > > A...

Cannot see posts again
My posts from the Ng do not appear on the NG. I have to go to google groups to look them up. Cumbersome. How can I solve the problem? TIA This newsgroup ? Is WLM configured to use newsgroup community features(if so disable it) Are any of the missing messages present in the Storage folders/Recovered = items folders(and appearing as if sent to you instead of=20 the newsgroup)? -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "Ben Stevenson" wrote in message = news:u3f9tyRNLHA.4288@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... My posts from the Ng do not appear on the NG. I have to go to google = grou...