Can't separate formula parameters with a comma

I have a very weird problem.

For some reason I cannot call any functions that require more than
one parameter, because office doesn't like the
comma between the parameters. Even though a comma is what you must use
between parameters.

The tooltip also comes up with a space between parameters instead of a
comma.

The error message is:

Microsoft Office Excel found an error in the formula you entered.

I desparately need help with this.
I have reset the user profile to the default settings using the profile
wizard, and I have even tried reinstalling Office.  Nothing has worked.

Please help.

Thanks,
-A

0
addrums11 (2)
10/20/2006 1:59:14 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Check in Tools>Options>International tab; if your decimal separator is a comma, change it or check Use system separators.
Your Windows separators can be changed via Control Panel>Date, Time and Regional Options>Regional and Language options>Regional
Options tab, Customize

Simplest to try first is a semicolon as list separator; quite a common European setting

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

<addrums11@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161352754.416393.313190@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
|I have a very weird problem.
|
| For some reason I cannot call any functions that require more than
| one parameter, because office doesn't like the
| comma between the parameters. Even though a comma is what you must use
| between parameters.
|
| The tooltip also comes up with a space between parameters instead of a
| comma.
|
| The error message is:
|
| Microsoft Office Excel found an error in the formula you entered.
|
| I desparately need help with this.
| I have reset the user profile to the default settings using the profile
| wizard, and I have even tried reinstalling Office.  Nothing has worked.
|
| Please help.
|
| Thanks,
| -A

0
nicolaus (2022)
10/20/2006 2:15:20 PM
Thank you very much.  I changed the list separator in Control Panel to
a comma.  It was a space.  This seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Niek Otten wrote:
> Check in Tools>Options>International tab; if your decimal separator is a comma, change it or check Use system separators.
> Your Windows separators can be changed via Control Panel>Date, Time and Regional Options>Regional and Language options>Regional
> Options tab, Customize
>
> Simplest to try first is a semicolon as list separator; quite a common European setting
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> <addrums11@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161352754.416393.313190@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> |I have a very weird problem.
> |
> | For some reason I cannot call any functions that require more than
> | one parameter, because office doesn't like the
> | comma between the parameters. Even though a comma is what you must use
> | between parameters.
> |
> | The tooltip also comes up with a space between parameters instead of a
> | comma.
> |
> | The error message is:
> |
> | Microsoft Office Excel found an error in the formula you entered.
> |
> | I desparately need help with this.
> | I have reset the user profile to the default settings using the profile
> | wizard, and I have even tried reinstalling Office.  Nothing has worked.
> |
> | Please help.
> |
> | Thanks,
> | -A

0
addrums11 (2)

Totalling columns and repeating formulas in new entries
i'm working in excel 2003 i've tried searching this, but have come up with nothing. it seems s basic, i'm sure i must be calling it the wrong thing or something. in my worksheet (that's what a spreadsheet is called now, isn't it?) enter expenses in column "e" and revenues in column "i", with the ne gain or loss for that row (entry) showing up in column "j". i had n problem setting that up. the first problem i'm having is the formulas and formatting bein copied to the next entry. some of the new entries have no value i column "e&...

How to create a single line separated by commas from a matrix?
Hello, I've the following problem. I've a table made of several columns. Each colum represents a characteristic regarding to a subject (e.g. Name, Surname, Home Street, etc...). In the rows I put the different people. I need to export these info to a format compatible with other program - an email program-, which requires the information to be arranged in a different way. The program needs all these data to be ordered in a single row, with each characteristic between quotation marks, and separated by commas, following this pattern: "characteristic 1","characteristic ...

SQLSiteMapProvider with a parameter problem
I'm using the below code with no problem except when trying to use a parameter. The Parameter is supposed to be passed in the BuildSiteMap method....but it's not. I've ran it through SQL Profiler and the parameter isn't even showing up. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? Thanks ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Web.Config ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// <siteMap defaultProvider="SqlSiteMapProvider"> <providers> <add name=&...

Separate inboxes for separate accounts
How can I separate incoming e-mail from separate e-mail accounts into folders so I can tell where incoming mail came from? Using Outlook 2000. >-----Original Message----- >How can I separate incoming e-mail from separate e-mail >accounts into folders so I can tell where incoming mail >came from? Using Outlook 2000. >. > I'm a novice but I just ask that question and dl@spoofmail.com gave me the following advice: It is done with rules. 1st create your folders (sounds like you've done that.) Then select Tools / rules & alerts / New Rule... This brings up...

No of Days between two dates and offset formula
I want to find the no of days b/w two days it should consider saturday as half day holiday and sunday as fully day holiday . and any holidays in that week I need ans at c1= 11 . In between 1 and 15, date 14 is holiday. A B C D E F G 1 1-Jan-10 15-Jan-10 One more thing In a1 = Project Start Month , b1= Jan-10 In a2 = Project Duration , b2= 10 ( which may change depend upon the project) I need a formula so that from it shows a5=Jan-10 a6= Feb-10 a7= Mar-10 ...... so ...

excel 2003 formula
I'm trying to make a formula for a list to check and strike out another on 3 sheets. Only 2 are using the info, sheet 3 has various colums to check. Sheet 2 A B dog yes cat (blank) Sheet 3 A C E etc... Dog(striked) Blank Dog(striked) If sheet 2, B is yes then check Sheet 3 colums and strike them out. Hope that made sense. Similar to a called off list. Please help me if you can. TIA Ginger Try posting your question in an Excel-specific newsgroup. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publ...

Formula #52
I need help creating a a formula to accrue vacation time and subtract when used. For example I need each month to be .83, but have a total of all the time for each month so I then can subtract what has been used. ....put the number of the month you are in in cell A1 (Jan=1, Feb=2, etc.). In cell A2, type "=A1*.83". In cell A3, across to cell L3, type month abreviations (Jan, Feb, etc.) In cells A4 through L4, type the time taken throughout the year. In cell B2 type "=sum(A4:L4)" In cell C2 type "=A2-B2" this will be time remaining at the current month t...

Master image to use in separate sheets?
Hello All, Does anyone know if there is a way to tell Excel to use the same image/background for each sheet, instead of needing to import for each one? Or is there a way to set up a (similiar to Power Point/Master slide). Thanks in advance, drew If it's just for one workbook, I'd have a master worksheet in that workbook that I could just copy. If it's for lots of workbooks, I'd set up a workbook with one sheet that had that background the way I wanted it. Then save this workbook as a Template (let the folder default to excel's favorite). Tnen when you rightclick on...

Formula to find average of field for all rows that contain another field #2
Say I have a worksheet with the following information: Name Position Salary John Producer $10,000 Jeremy Producer $98,000 Jaime Producer $50,000 Darren Artist $67,000 Chris Artist $75,000 Clint Artist $30,000 Adam Artist $57,000 In Cell C2 (salary for John) I want to create a formula that looks for all rows that contain the same position as in B2 (John's position which is producer) and then calculates the average of all the salaries in column C of those rows that have the position producer. Then I want to c...

Separating a comma separated list
Not having a great deal of experience with macros, I thought I might see if I could pick the brains of the group. I have to essentially break out a comma separated text string in a single cell into a vertical list, with a reference number thrown in for good measure. Example. Data I have: A B 1 NUMBER RESOURCE 2 101 Smith John,Jones Adam,Brown Philip,Greene Thomas 3 102 Smith John,Jackson Arthur Needs to look like: A B 1 NUMBER RESOURCE 2 101 Smith John 3 101 Jones Adam 4 101 Brown Philip 5 101 Gr...

What formula do I use to show the last cell with text in a colum
I have an Excel worksheet with 2 sheets. Sheet1 is for data entry and will have data in columns to record details of meetings, each row is a different person e.g. column B has details of first meeting, column C has details of second meeting, column D has details of third meeting and so on . I want my second sheet to be a report that shows the details of the most recent meeting i.e I want a formula in sheet2 that looks at sheet1, finds the last cell in a row with text, and copies this text to the relevant cell in sheet2. Do I use "go to" command plus a formula? how? ...

Formula Bar has disappeared!
I've maximized my worksheet. None of the title bars is too long. For some reason, I can no longer see a formula bar on ANY of my worksheets. Help. I'm using Excel 2002 10.3506.3501 On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:03:25 -0800, Bob Richardson = <bobr@whidbey.nospamplease.com> wrote: > I've maximized my worksheet. None of the title bars is too long. For s= ome > reason, I can no longer see a formula bar on ANY of my worksheets. He= lp. > I'm using Excel 2002 10.3506.3501 Did you try View | Formula bars on the menu? -- = Dave dvt at psu dot edu "dvt" ...

Separating strings in a field to separate fields
Hi, I have a field that consists of a string value that looks like Item1, Item2, Item3, each item is separated by commas. I want to separate that string value so that each item has its own field. Is there code that will easily do this? Thanks, Jaime On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:08:57 -0800 (PST), jseger22@yahoo.com wrote: >Hi, > >I have a field that consists of a string value that looks like Item1, >Item2, Item3, each item is separated by commas. I want to separate >that string value so that each item has its own field. Is there code >that will easily do this? > >Thank...

Condense a formula
Hi I want to include several more sheets to the following formula. =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,'Uses A'!$B:$B,0)),IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,'RHS additions'!B:B,0)),"No Match Found",A2),A2) The formula will be a heck of a size if up to 10 more sheets are added. These sheets start with the name 'Uses' ie. 'Uses B', 'Uses C' etc. and will contain the same range as (A2,'Uses A'!$B:$B,0) for example (A2,'Uses B'!$B:$B,0) Is there a condensed formula suitable for this task. put all the sheet names in the cell: ex: ...

Report Header Parameter Max(Value) from Table...
I'd like to update a report parameter in SSRS with something similar to the following: @parameter= select Max(date) from table so it may be displayed in a report header or a report footer. has anyone tried this? On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:44:41 -0700, jm27102 <jm27102@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'd like to update a report parameter in SSRS with something similar to the >following: > >@parameter= select Max(date) from table so it may be displayed in a report >header >or a report footer. > >has anyone tried this? Hi Why...

=if formulae
I have and excel spreadsheet which I wish to record an error message if one cell as a value of more than zero and the cell below it has a value of zero. I have managed the first part of the formula but can not figure out how if the both cells are zero to return a " " result. "Janie" wrote: > I have and excel spreadsheet which I wish to > record an error message if one cell as a value > of more than zero and the cell below it has a > value of zero. Ostensibly: =if(and(A1>0,A2=0), "ERROR", "") ----- original message...

If OR formula
I am trying to write a formula that will first look at the value in C3 which is identified by either 1 or 99. Then depending on either of these two numbers, use a specific vlookup to a certain table. The best way I can explain is to If cell c3="1", then vlookup(a3,named range, 7,0)*B3 or if cell c3="99" then vlookup(a3,named range,7,0)*b3 A3 B3 C3 D3 CPT Multiplier Locality 01 or 99 Allowable 99201 120% Susan >If cell c3="1", then vlookup(a3,named range, 7,0)*B3 >or if ce...

Formula referencing other file show formula not result
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a formula in a cell that selects data from another spreadsheet. Both cells are text and often the formula shows in the receiving spreadsheet not the value. I have both cell formated as &quot;text&quot;. In older versions of excel, you could never have an &quot;=&quot; sign start in cell without excel always defaulting that as a formula. Now in 2008 it does not work that way any more. <br><br>Along the same line I have a formula in a cell that selects data from another spreadsheet. S...

WIA & C#: TypeDescriptionProvider.GetTypeDescriptor() instance parameter is null?
Hello, I'm implementing an application with C# and WIA scripting and I'm trying to display a WIA Device object in a property grid. After some searching it seems like I want to model my solution after this example (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163804.aspx) that involves implementing a TypeDescriptionProvider and registering it via TypeDescriptor.AddProvider(). When I set my Device object as the SelectedObject in my property grid, I trace the through my implementation of "public override ICustomTypeDescriptor GetTypeDescriptor(Type objectType, object ins...

EXCEL 2003 formulae
The cells are formatted to number or currency and the formulae =A3/A2 returned an error message stating that "The formulae you typed contains an error". I have entered 2 numbers i.e. 100 20 in cells A3 and A2 respectively. However, If I type 100/20 it returns 5. The only way I could reproduce that message with the conditions you described was =A3'/A2 Can you do =A3 and =A2 etc? EXCEL formulae Wrote: > The cells are formatted to number or currency and the formulae =A3/A2 > returned an error message stating that "The formulae you typed contains > an > e...

Launch Oulook Express Newsreader separately
Hi I use Outlook Express as my newsreader. My problem is that in order to access it, I need to first launch Outlook. Is there some way I can launch the newsreader portion of OE without launching Outlook? A command line switch or something I imagine. I'm using Outlook XP with OE 6 on Windows XP pro. Thanks I believe the command-line switch is /newsonly. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "aJax&...

Formula help! #2
hi all can someone help me where i have a row of numbers that go 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 5, 10, 5 etc... from cells D2:K2 i want a formula to put in A2 that returns the first non- zero number, ie. it would return 5. it would also be useful to have a formula that returns which column the first non-zero number occurs in. any ideas? thanks JohnQ one way: First non-zero (array-entered: CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN): =INDEX(rng,MATCH(TRUE,rng<>0,FALSE)) where rng is your range reference (e.g., D2:K2). Column the first-non-zero occurs in (also array-entered): =LEFT(ADDRESS(1,3+MA...

formula #32
I'm trying to create a formula or a solution, when any text or character is typed into a cell it will equal a set value. Such as if cell A1 has a name then i will equal 2 and if cell B1 is blank it will equal 0. Hopefully, someone can help me, thanks inadvance. =IF(LEN(A1)>0,2,IF(B1="",0,"ERROR")) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I'm trying to create a formula or a solution, when any >text or character is typed into a cell it will equal a set >value. Such as if cell A1 has a name then i will equal 2 >and if cell B1 ...

conditional formatting for formula resulting in text
I have a spreadsheet with a column I would like to conditionally format. This column contains IF formulas. It says, basically, this: IF(E1<D1,LOW, IF(E1>D1,E1<C1,MEDIUM, IF(E1>C1,HIGH))) I would like conditionally format this column so the cells with value HIGH are shaded red, MEDIUM are yellow, and LOW are green. I know there is a way to do this - but I couldn't find a conditional formatting formula that worked while searching through previous threads. Thanks, Laurie It's not really a single formula, but one simple stipulation for *each* one of the three conditions. J...

separate pages rather than spreads?
Hi Using 2007 I created a .pdf of an A5 booklet with 80 double sided pages and sent it to an outside printer. They replied asking "Would it be possible to send in the inside pages as separate pages rather than spreads? That is a pdf with the pages A5 size in number order 1- whatever." Anyone know how to do that please ?? -- Martin ���� Martin ���� @nohere.net wrote: > Hi > Using 2007 > I created a .pdf of an A5 booklet with 80 double sided pages and sent > it to an outside printer. They replied asking > > "Would it be possible to se...