Can't add a 0 (zero) to the beginning of a number in a cell

I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.

Scott

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can format the cell to be text and it will then allow a 0 to be
added to the front of a number however this may cause problems if you
are using that number in inequalities.

Scottrow wrote:
> I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
> After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.
>
> Scott

Scott,

The first answer is correct however it may be alot easier if you add an
apostrophe ' before the number.  It won't show it is excel's way of
letting you start cells with a 0.

On Nov 22, 9:36 am, "Scottrow" <mistersalsaREM...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
> After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.
>
> Scott

0
PMC527 (2)
11/22/2006 2:48:13 PM
another way is to format>cutom format>00000000000 as many as you like to 15

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Scottrow" <mistersalsaREMOVE@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
>After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.
>
> Scott

0
dguillett1 (2487)
11/22/2006 3:03:30 PM
"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote

> another way is to format>cutom format>00000000000 as many as you like to
> 15

That's the one I like because it data is still a number and can be
manipulated as such.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

0
gezgin (65)
11/22/2006 5:05:24 PM
glad to help

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote
>
>> another way is to format>cutom format>00000000000 as many as you like to
>> 15
>
> That's the one I like because it data is still a number and can be
> manipulated as such.
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

0
dguillett1 (2487)

adding Text to the beginning of a control source
I want to say ="HELP"&Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] I want the word HELP then the start date 2 and finally the ID ie: HELP2010:12430 How do I put the text at the beginning? Where are you putting this? In the Control Source of control on a form/report? Then it should work as posted provided that [Session Start Date 2] and [ID] are in the object's record source. In a query? Then you just need a field alias and drop the = sign; MyHelpText: "HELP" & Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] ...

how to read the serial number of a mother board?
Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! Crystal On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:07:16 +0800, "Crystal Lin" <linwingyee@hotmail.com> wrote: >Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! > Do all computers have "mother boards" and do all mother boards have serial numbers? > Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! You can read the Serial Number of the hard drive using DiskId32 at http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.html . Lynn Let me guess: another mis...

Linked cells within a wokbook
I have a workbook with about 40 worksheets, there are links between the workbooks that sporadically do not update. I have checked the links when they freeze and have been unable to identify the cause. Eg cell c76=a number from a lookup table, is referenced throughout the workbook, in various functions. When c76 changes the functions freeze on the previous output of c76. The lookup table works and c76 changes accordingly, but the related functions do not. WHY Thanks in advance ...

Cells #3
How I can make a cell contact with another cell on another sheet and it will changes when day changes. example I have cell A1 sheet1 contact with cell A2 sheet 2 and cell A1 sheet 2 is the date when the date change A1 sheet 1 will auto change to B2 sheet 2 and the date = B2 Ali, You could use the CHOOSE function which returns the nth value. For example, =CHOOSE(3, A2, B3, C4, D5, E6) will return A4, the third value in the array {A2, B3, C4, D5, E6}. This works well if the cells are not contiguous, but you are limited to 30 values if I remember well. If your values are in contiguous ce...

Run macro via cell value
Is it possible to run a macro based on the value of a cell. Say for example A1 contains the word "run" can that word be the trigger to automatically run a macro? Pat Hi Pat A worksheet formula can not trig a macro. No way. But a worksheet has several events; macros that run when certain things happen. There is an event firing when you enter something into a cell, another when the sheet recalculates, ... see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm for more on this. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Pat" <glass_patrick@hotmail.com> skrev i melding news:OV4A5QBUFHA.58...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

can I get cells with a minus number to show zero
I have a cell which has a basic formula in (adding up from 2 other cells) This number can end up being a minus number (-167), If this happens I need to be able to make that minus number appear as a zero (0). Is this possible? please help. =IF(A1+B1<0,0,A1+B1) Alternative =MAX(0,A1+B1) Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 7 May 2005 08:28:03 -0700, "marcus1066" <marcus1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a cell which has a basic formula in (adding up from 2 other cells) >This number can end up being a minus number (-167), If this happens I need to >be...

form cell question in Ver2000
I have a large sheet with email addresses in a column that only displays "yes" with the letters in a gray shaded area. When I hover over the cell the underlying email address becomes visible. I need to find a way to create a column of the email addresses. Any help will be appreciated. James It sounds like someone added hyperlinks to your worksheet. If you select the cell and do Insert|Hyperlink, do you see the email address in a nice dialog? If yes, you can use a user defined function to extract that link (including email address). Saved from a previous post: One way to e...

Excel Add Ins

Add on

Number entered automatically cut off
Hello, When I enter 100, it display 1, When I enter 1000, it display 10, ChefChaudart, Is that bad ? <grin> That is one of those things that everyone runs into you change the option and it doesn't seem to do anything so you leave it changed. If you enter a decimal point everything is normal i.e. 1000. or 1000.50 but if you fail to enter a decimal point your option in Tools, Options, Edit (tab), [x] fixed decimals 2 will be used. Remove the checkmark and you'll be fine. You can try that on your boss at April Fool's time as long as their not doing your sal...

Photoshop 6.0 image is discolored when imported into Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, <br><br>I am trying to import an image from Photoshop 6.0 (Mac Classic version) into Word in publishing layout mode. I have the image saved on my OS X desktop. When I drag the image from my desktop into the word document it appears, but it is too blue! The white does not appear to be affected, but the green is brighter and the pink is purple. This is important as the image needs to be in-keeping with the color-scheme of the rest of the document. What is causing this, and how can I correct it? It ...

Hyperlink many cells
I am trying to link many cells on one worksheet to corresponding cells on another. I have two worksheets, one with item price information and another with physical item information. Both sheets share a common "number" field. Each item has unique number that is referenced on both sheets. I want to set up a hyperlink so that when the when any cell in the number field in the price file is clicked, it lgoes to the cell with that same value in the number field on the other sheet. I can do this by one cell at a time by right clicking the cell, adding the hyperlink and setting...

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

highest number #2
Hi, Let's keep the problem simple. I have one cell that uses an exchange rate from the internet. That cell changes every minute. What I want to do: In an other cell, I want to keep the highest exchange rate ever. So for example: 6:00 exchange rate = 5.00 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:01 exchange rate = 4.98 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:02 exchange rate = 5.02 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:03 exchange rate = 5.01 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:04 exchange rate = 5.03 -- highest exchange rate is 5.03 Of course nor for any minute I use a new cell, it just change the n...

Replacing Cell Contents
Hello Folks Is there any way via formula to replace the contents of Cell A1 with a formula written in B1 or any other cell? Thanks Hi no way to achieve this with formulas. Formulas can only return values but not change other cells -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Bob Leathers wrote: > Hello Folks > > Is there any way via formula to replace the contents of Cell A1 with a > formula written in B1 or any other cell? > > Thanks Thanks for your reply. Is there then a way, via macro, to continually check to see if the value in cell A1 has changed? If so change th...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

How do I increase the text size of an Excel cell?
Hi guys, Situation: I had a memo size field in MS Access. When I copied and pasted it into an MS Excel cell the text gets truncated? I can't believe that Microsoft has had about 5-6 versions of Excel and hasn't fixed this simple problem. Mike Web Developer and Catholic Apologist http://www.faithfulchristians.net I think this is by design. Not everyone would want the whole column resized because of a single truncated cell. "Mike_Humphrey" <Mike_Humphrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79662172-C13B-4708-AAF4-B02511AD79AA@microsoft.com... > H...

How to zero a messy inventory
My client wants to zero out their inventory because it's mostly junk data. They want to keep the items. They have a bunch of old sales orders which some of this inventory is allocated to. They also have SOP to POP links on some of these old sales orders. As I understand, to clean it up they must delete 1) POP links 2) delete SO's , and 3) zero the inventory. I see no need to delete the old PO's... Is my understanding right ? Is there any easier way to do it besides one at a time ? Thanks very much. Joe, try the following to zero out inventory quantities. "Jo...

Multiple CRM 3.0 installations in the same domain
Can anyone confirm for me if we can install multiple CRM 3.0 installations within the same domain? (live, demo, dev) I believe that there was a problem with this in 1.2 The problem in CRM 1.2 is primarily due to the inability of the Exchange Router to support multiple CRM installations, requiring you to set up a child domain for each CRM installation. This is fixed in CRM 3.0 and you now are able to have multiple installations in the same domain. Regards, Simon "Rick M" <RickM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E835389-F800-4F7B-9A25-BB132744DAC8@micr...

Upgrade from NT 4.0/Ex5.5 to Windows Server 2003/Exchange2003
I'm presently working at a client site and they presently have one NT4 PDC Server and 2 NT4 BDCs in the same domain XYZDom. The BDCs have Ex5.5 running in the different organizations/domains i.e xyz.com and xyzafrik.com. Each Ex 5.5 server hosts different domain mailboxes i.e john@xyz.com and the client use outlook to check their mails, and the other ex 5.5 server hosts john@xyzafrik.com and the client use outlook express to check their mails. The xyzafrik.com server acts as a POP3 server. I did an in-place upgrade of the PDC to server 2003 and i was only able to migrate mailboxes ...

CRM 3.0 02-16-06
Is it possible to customize Emails and/or Email Templates to allow attachments? -- ScubaFreak5891 Hi Cheryl, Try and have a look at the add-in from Opportunity Solutions called Email-Manager It will do exactly what you are asking for - directly from outlook. Kind regards Kenneth "Cheryl" wrote: > Is it possible to customize Emails and/or Email Templates to allow > attachments? > -- > ScubaFreak5891 ...

SumIFS Cell
I am trying to reference a cell in a formula and I would like to say anything greater then cell J2 but when I input this it searches for text. =SUMIFS($B$2:$B$27,$A$2:$A$27,"000001",$C$2:$C$27,>D2) A B C D 1 00001 100 40248 40248 2 12001 150 40237 3 15001 200 40237 4 00001 150 40290 5 00001 50 40350 I would like the total to return 200 because Cell C5 and C4 are larger than Cell D1 in respect to the Sku number I would like to sum. But when I put in >J2 it enters “>J2” and it won’t return a value other then 0. (If I put in just D2 then it returns a valu...