Calculation of Area Under a Continuos curve......

Hi,  I am working on calculating area under a Continuous Curve..  I
have data points...On X axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable
X) and on Y axis i have  % of Cumulative numbers(Variable Y). If i
plot a curve by joinig thses points i get a smooth curve. If i have to
calculate the exact area under the curve using Integration Function in
Excel Sheet how should i proceed.

Data points are :
	Issuers	Defaulters	Cum Issuers %	Cum Defaulters %
C	3	0	0.287907869	0
B	4	2	0.671785029	7.407407407
BB	35	5	4.030710173	25.92592593
BBB	242	15	27.25527831	81.48148148
A	293	4	55.37428023	96.2962963
AA	315	1	85.60460653	100
AAA	150	0	100	100
	1042	27

Want to calculate the total area under the curve formed by joining the
data points : Cum Issuers % and  Cum Defaulters %

Regards,
Abhishek
0
abhi.ibs (4)
11/3/2010 6:34:32 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Abhishek Jha" <abhi.ibs@gmail.com> wrote in message =

> Hi,  I am working on calculating area under a Continuous Curve..  I
> have data points...On X axis i have % of Cumulative numbers(Variable
> X) and on Y axis i have  % of Cumulative numbers(Variable Y). If i
> plot a curve by joinig thses points i get a smooth curve. If i have to
> calculate the exact area under the curve using Integration Function in
> Excel Sheet how should i proceed.
>=20
> Data points are :
> Issuers Defaulters Cum Issuers % Cum Defaulters %
> C 3 0 0.287907869 0
> B 4 2 0.671785029 7.407407407
> BB 35 5 4.030710173 25.92592593
> BBB 242 15 27.25527831 81.48148148
> A 293 4 55.37428023 96.2962963
> AA 315 1 85.60460653 100
> AAA 150 0 100 100
> 1042 27
>=20
>=20
> Want to calculate the total area under the curve formed by joining the
> data points : Cum Issuers % and  Cum Defaulters %
>=20
>=20
> Regards,
> Abhishek

Hi Abhishek.

Integration under a smooth curve or under a broken line,
both are possible in Excel, with a single formula.
In case of the smooth curve, the curve formula and the limits must be =
known.

Before trying something like that,=20
is it possible that you are looking for the weighted average of Cum =
Defaulters % ?

That could be =3DSUMPRODUCT(D2:D8*E2:E8)/SUM(D2:D8)
if Cum Issuers % are in D2:D8, and Cum Defaulters % are in E2:E8

Hans T.

0
Hans
11/3/2010 10:48:24 AM
"Abhishek Jha" <abhi.ibs@gmail.com> wrote in message =

> Hi,  I am working on calculating area under a Continuous Curve.. =20

Hi all.

Abhishek seems to have lost interest, but for reference=20
the following is an easy way to calculate integrals in Excel,=20
without VBA nescessarily.

Define the names n, x and dx, most easily by running the macro below.

Suppose then we want to calculate (S being the integral sign):

1
S 4/(1+x^2)*dx
0

The result should be close to PI().

In 3 cells next to each other write
0    1    =3DSUMPRODUCT(4/(1+x^2)*dx)

Like SUMPRODUCT is standing in for the integral sign in the matematical =
formula.

The result is pi with 15 digits, by good fortune.
Only the 16. hidden digit is wrong.
One can unhide it by subtracting 3.

Hans T.

"""""""""""""""""""""""
Sub DefineNamesForNumericIntegration()

'By default the names n, x, dx.

'For "Definite Integral" calculation in an Excel workbook:
'To calculate (S being the integralsign)
'
'b
'S f(x)dx
'a
'
'The integral from x=3Da to x=3Db of f(x) is calculated (using the names =
defined by the macro) by
'3 cells next to each other
'a | b | Matrix formula {=3DSUM(f(x)*dx)} or the formula =
=3DSUMPRODUCT(f(x)*dx)
'
'Problem example:
'
'pi/2
'S sin(x)*dx  (should give 1)
'0
'
'3 cells next to each other
' ______________________________________
'| 0 | =3DPI()/2 | =3DSUMPRODUCT(sin(x)*dx)         |
' =
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=
=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF
'gives 1.00000000000003

'The names n, x, dx are vectors, calculated from the limits a and b
'a to b is split into intervals, indexed by n
'The intervals are weighted by "Simpsons rule", which approximates with =
parabola pieces
'Step functions like INT may therefore be uncorrectly rounded near the =
step points
'A larger number of intervals can improve accuracy. For polynomiums of =
max 3. degree there is full accuracy.
'For 'nice', smooth, not too steep functions and b-a not too big, the =
error is at the last digit
'
'NB. Some functions, SUM, MAX, MIN, ...CONCATENATE, BESSEL ,.. can not =
deliver an array
'Beware of them in the integrand expression
'
'Without this macro the defined names and references might be
'n     =3DROW(!$1:$1001)-(RAND()<1)
'x     =3D!A1+n*(!B1-!A1)/MAX(n)
'dx    =3D((n>0)+(n<MAX(n))+2*MOD(n,2))*(!B1-!A1)/MAX(n)/3
'IF active cell is C1 while the names are defined
'

Dim intervals&, integrationvariable$
''''''''''
intervals =3D 1000 'an EVEN number
integrationvariable =3D "x" 'r and c can't be used
'integrationvariable =3D "y" 'r and c can't be used
'name for differential of "x" will automatically be "dx"
''''''''''
With ActiveWorkbook

'Uncomment next for own choice of variable name
'integrationvariable =3D InputBox("Define new integrationvariable?" & =
vbCr & "Not r or c.", .Name, "x")
If integrationvariable =3D "" Then Exit Sub

..Names.Add "n", "=3DROW(INDIRECT(""1:" & intervals + 1 & """))-1"
'.Names.Add "nn", "=3DTRANSPOSE(ROW(INDIRECT(""1:" & intervals + 1 & =
""")))-1"

' Uncomment next if number of intervals is in active sheet R1C1
'.Names.Add "n", "=3DROW(INDIRECT(""1:"" & !R1C1+1))-1"
'.Names.Add "nn", "=3DTRANSPOSE(ROW(INDIRECT(""1:"" & !R1C1+1)))-1"

..Names.Add integrationvariable, "=3D!RC[-2]+n*(!RC[-1]-!RC[-2])/MAX(n)"
'.Names.Add integrationvariable, =
"=3D!RC[-4]+nn*(!RC[-3]-!RC[-4])/MAX(nn)"
..Names.Add "d" + integrationvariable, =
"=3D((n>0)+(n<MAX(n))+2*MOD(n,2))*(!RC[-1]-!RC[-2])/MAX(n)/3"
'.Names.Add "d" + integrationvariable, =
"=3D((nn>0)+(nn<MAX(nn))+2*MOD(nn,2))*(!RC[-3]-!RC[-4])/MAX(nn)/3"

'On Error Resume Next
'.Names("t").Delete
'.Names("dt").Delete
End With
End Sub

"""""""""""""""""""""""

0
Hans
11/7/2010 12:03:42 PM
On Nov 7, 5:03=A0pm, "Hans Terkelsen" <dk> wrote:
> [...]
r & "Not r or c.", .Name, "x")
> If integrationvariable =3D "" Then Exit Sub
>
> .Names.Add "n", "=3DROW(INDIRECT(""1:" & intervals + 1 & """))-1"
> '.Names.Add "nn", "=3DTRANSPOSE(ROW(INDIRECT(""1:" & intervals + 1 & """)=
))-1"

> ' Uncomment next if number of intervals is in active sheet R1C1
> '.Names.Add "n", "=3DROW(INDIRECT(""1:"" & !R1C1+1))-1"
> '.Names.Add "nn", "=3DTRANSPOSE(ROW(INDIRECT(""1:"" & !R1C1+1)))-1"
>
> .Names.Add integrationvariable, "=3D!RC[-2]+n*(!RC[-1]-!RC[-2])/MAX(n)"
> '.Names.Add integrationvariable, "=3D!RC[-4]+nn*(!RC[-3]-!RC[-4])/MAX(nn)=
"
> .Names.Add "d" + integrationvariable, "=3D((n>0)+(n<MAX(n))+2*MOD(n,2))*(=
!RC[-1]-!RC[-2])/MAX(n)/3"
> '.Names.Add "d" + integrationvariable, "=3D((nn>0)+(nn<MAX(nn))+2*MOD(nn,=
2))*(!RC[-3]-!RC[-4])/MAX(nn)/3"

> 'On Error Resume Next
> '.Names("t").Delete
> '.Names("dt").Delete
> End With
> End Sub
>
> """""""""""""""""""""""

Hi, thanks so much for this great piece of information.....i have just
checked the reply...Will revert with any queries sonn....Thanks a
Lot...Abhishek
0
abhi.ibs (4)
11/7/2010 1:00:01 PM
I saw the topic on the fly. From time to time, I have had to find
definite integrals, but no lately. This is just a note without detail.

If you have values of the integrand on uniformly spaced points,
Simpson's rule is easy to use and usually more accurate than mere
summing. It is simplest if there are an even number of intervals, and
therefore, an odd number of points. Over every pair of intervals, a
parabola is used to represent the function,

Instead of merely adding these values the are weighted. IIRC, the end
points are weighted by factors of 1/ then the inbetween points are
weight by factors of 4 and 2 alternately. After the weighted sum is
obtained, it is multiplied by interval between points (dx or h in
various notations) and divided by 3. That is the definite integral. Easy
to do on an Excel spreadsheet.

I hope this helps, If not clear, see the article Simpson's rule in
Wikipedia. If still not clear, just ignore this post.

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
0
"Salmon Egg" <SalmonEgg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message =
>I saw the topic on the fly. From time to time, I have had to find=20
> definite integrals, but no lately. This is just a note without detail.
>=20
> If you have values of the integrand on uniformly spaced points,=20
> Simpson's rule is easy to use and usually more accurate than mere=20
> summing. It is simplest if there are an even number of intervals, and=20
> therefore, an odd number of points. Over every pair of intervals, a=20
> parabola is used to represent the function,
>=20
> Instead of merely adding these values the are weighted. IIRC, the end=20
> points are weighted by factors of 1/ then the inbetween points are=20
> weight by factors of 4 and 2 alternately. After the weighted sum is=20
> obtained, it is multiplied by interval between points (dx or h in=20
> various notations) and divided by 3. That is the definite integral. =
Easy=20
> to do on an Excel spreadsheet.
>=20
> I hope this helps, If not clear, see the article Simpson's rule in=20
> Wikipedia. If still not clear, just ignore this post.
>=20
> Bill
>=20

Hi Bill.

Agreed.
It is exactly the method used.

Since most of the calculation takes place in the names,=20
only a single cell is used to find the integral,=20
or the area under the curve.

Though it is possible to define the names manually,=20
it is much more easy to prepare the sheet for integrals by running that =
macro,
because the names are a little complicated by the Simpson rule =
calculation in them.

Hans T.
0
Hans
11/7/2010 8:10:52 PM

Hi, thanks so much for this great piece of information.....i have just
checked the reply...Will revert with any queries sonn....Thanks a
Lot...Abhishek

Good, Abhishek.
Please disregard my first reply to your post.
I could not see the rationale behind, and I made a mistake, I'm afraid.
Hans T.

0
Hans

How to calculate age of a person?

Due Date Calculated

how to calculate outliers

Calculated field options???

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

tenure calculations

Formula to calculate time

Insert calculated median field in pivottable
Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. Thanks, Joel Not supported in a pivot -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Joel Schaefer" <joel@disintegrators.com> wrote in message news:ev4P0Nk6FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried > inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. > > Thanks, > > Joel > ...

Rename areas in entity NavPane
Using Sitemap and Application NavBar we have been able to change the name from Sales to SomethingElse. But when we display entities like contact, the text Sales is still displayed in the contact Navbar and there is no way to change it to SomethingElse to be in correspondance with what we have done before. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the M...

Javascript help, calculation whoes when calculating from a calculation....
I am having a strange issue with Javascript and I cannot see what the issue us? Essentially I need to be able to calculate two values, one is addition and the second is multiplication. I am getting some strange numbers. My code is at the bottom under the ------, here are the details. crmForm.all.estimatedvalue.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_nextyr.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_yrtwoplus.DataValue = 10 This should make totalestrev = 30, Then its getting weird, I am taking the following formula (10/100)*30 = 270? Here 10 is the value selected from the drop down value, I ...

calculator errors
when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a1,b1) into cell c1. If a1 is 1000 and b1 is .10 than c1 should equal 100, but it equals 102.04. My calculator is off somehow when i try to multiply. Please help me. Thank You, Kat I'd take a look at the values in A1 and B1. Are they really 1000 and .10 or are they 1000.49999 or .10444 (for example) "Kat and the Calculator" <KatandtheCalculator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:591A3F6E-7C20-4C88-B1E2-6B76CFF502BA@microsoft.com... > when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a...

Calculating Employee hours for the current week
Hello, I am new to excel and have been assigned the task of creating a file that breaks down the amount of time each of our employees spends on different projects. Most importantly I want to create a rollup sheet that shows the total number of hours all the employees have spent on the different projects (there are 6) for the current week. Is there any way for excel to figure out the current week then add together the hours all the employees worked on these 6 projects? Thanks in advance. Hi, Take a look at the templates available from Microsoft at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/template...

What does this calculation do?!
I am working with a colleague to create a spreadsheet to rank supervisor performance through several aspects of the average performance of their employees. We have been given a similar spreadsheet as an example of what is needed. I am looking at it, and initially cannot understand what in the world some of the calcuations are meant to do. Here is one that is meant to calculate the "ranking score." It is a percentage determined by a target percentage and the person's actual performance percentage: =IF(IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)>200,200,IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)) As far as I ...

calculation in menu/tool bar using option buttons and pull-down menus
hello: Like to be able to add a series of calculations into the menu bar. The calculations would require 1 input field, 2 sets of radio (or are they called toggle???) buttons, a pull down list and an answer field that was dependent on the radio buttons, pull down and # inputted. I can do all this in an Excel worksheet fairly easily; however, I'd like to put it up in the menu bar/tool bar area so it is easily accessable no mater what workbook I'm working in. How can I do this? Any places I can read about this on the Web? Thanks for any answers/pointers! For example, the basic con...

Savings Goals, how are they calculated
I have a budget that says I have $1000+ saved each month, when I setup a savings goal for three months down the road for $2000 it says that it is unattainable and the max I could save is $345! What else is calculated into the savings goals other than how much money is left over after each month! It just doesn't make sense. The only help it gives is check out your cash flow... and sure enough, at the time I want my savings goal to be reach it says that the total of my accounts is $4000+ dollars... why does Money keep saying that I can't do a savings goal above $345?!!! This is...

Inserting date calculations

Aggregate calculations on calculated query fields?
I made a query that uses fields from multiple tables to calculate values for daily metrics. I need to present monthly totals of the data as sums and/or means. The tables are linked by the Date (mm/dd/yyyy) field. I enter ‘between 03/01/2010 and 03/31/2010’ in the criteria for the date field. For the totals I enter ‘group by’ for the date and ‘sum’ or ‘avg’ for the calculated fields. When the query is executed I receive an error that I ‘tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression *** as part of an aggregate function. *** is the calculated field in the...

I need help with a formula calculating time
I have a simple spreadsheet calculating the hours worked by a person, In the columns i have start time, end time and hours worked. The columns are formatted into hh:mm. The hours worked are calculated by subtracting end time from start time, based on 24hour clock. This works fine if the hours are worked on the same day, but if the person starts at 18:00 and finishes at 02:00 the subtraction doesnt work. If however i change the formatting of the cells to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm this will work as the date helps. But i feel this would be too much info to enter for each person if i have ov...

Perfoming calculations on answers from pervious calculations
Hi all I have a user who is trying to perform a simple divide to a number of data fields, however this data appears in the field due to a larger calculateion. When she tries to put in the devide she get the orriginal calculation in the cell rather than just the answer from it. I've been told its just a setting but i cant find it!!! Any ideas anyone?? Cheers -- Karl "i'll start being nicer when you start being smarter" Hi maybe 'Tools - Options - Calculation' and check 'Automatic calculation ' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Karl E...

Calculation --- What's going on?
Does anyone know how to find out what Excel is doing as it recalculates? I have a large spreadsheet (7+M). When it calculates the completion percentage at the bottom left hand corner pauses at several values (22%, 43%, 92%, ect.) The sheet takes over 30 seconds to recalculate and so far I have not been able to determine why. I thought if I could find out what Excel is recalculating during these pauses it might give me insite as to what's happening. Also, one worksheet in the workbook was copied from another workbook. When I use shift-F9 \, that is the only worksheet that has an...

Calculate Sliding Scale Calculation
I need to be able to calculate a commission as follows: Total Amount=$500 Total Commission (0-$100, 5%)+($101-399, 10%)+(>$400, 15%) This would calculate a different percentage for each of the ranges above and then add them together. I hope I'm making myself clear because I'm confused just writing this. It seems like there should be a very easy way to do this in Excel. Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks, Andy See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html In article <1173808418.215657.199740@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>, "Andy" <...

Further timesheet calculation
Frank, you are my absolute hero, I have been trying for ages to sort that one out (see question Timesheet Calculation, Richard Burrow) I new it would be something simple like that. I now have a further question however. I have set the formatted the cell to show the hours worked as a number for example: Start time Finish Time Total Time 8:45 AM 9:00 AM 0.25 It is showing the time worked as 0.25 I appreciate that 0.25 represents a quater of 1, but I want it to display the results as a quater of an hour i.e 0.15 how would this be achieved. Hi then use the formu...