Calculate sum of product in Excel 2003

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bother you. I just couldn't find a way to solve it. Here is the
scenario,

          A        B
1        2         3
2        2         4
3        4         3
4        5         4

I need to find the sum of product in the column A and B. I can do this by
using a third column. I simply find the products then sum them. I need to do
this in one formula, not another column. I can do this by
=a1*b1+a2*b2+....... The problem is the columns have over 50 values.
Manually writing that would be real cumbersome. Any suggestion?

Mosaddeq

0
mosaddeq (13)
12/3/2006 8:55:39 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One of the few times that this is being used as Redmond originally designed
it for:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A4,B1:B4)
--
HTH,

RD

"Mosaddeq Aziz" <mosaddeq@siriusbb.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry to bother you. I just couldn't find a way to solve it. Here is the
> scenario,
>
>           A        B
> 1        2         3
> 2        2         4
> 3        4         3
> 4        5         4
>
> I need to find the sum of product in the column A and B. I can do this by
> using a third column. I simply find the products then sum them. I need to
do
> this in one formula, not another column. I can do this by
> =a1*b1+a2*b2+....... The problem is the columns have over 50 values.
> Manually writing that would be real cumbersome. Any suggestion?
>
> Mosaddeq

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
12/3/2006 9:02:40 PM
Works like a charm. Thanks pal for the effort.

Mosaddeq Aziz

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> One of the few times that this is being used as Redmond originally
> designed
> it for:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A4,B1:B4)
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "Mosaddeq Aziz" <mosaddeq@siriusbb.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Sorry to bother you. I just couldn't find a way to solve it. Here is the
>> scenario,
>>
>>           A        B
>> 1        2         3
>> 2        2         4
>> 3        4         3
>> 4        5         4
>>
>> I need to find the sum of product in the column A and B. I can do this by
>> using a third column. I simply find the products then sum them. I need to
> do
>> this in one formula, not another column. I can do this by
>> =a1*b1+a2*b2+....... The problem is the columns have over 50 values.
>> Manually writing that would be real cumbersome. Any suggestion?
>>
>> Mosaddeq

0
mosaddeq (13)
12/3/2006 9:06:19 PM
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A50,B1:B50)

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Mosaddeq Aziz" <mosaddeq@siriusbb.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry to bother you. I just couldn't find a way to solve it. Here is the
> scenario,
>
>          A        B
> 1        2         3
> 2        2         4
> 3        4         3
> 4        5         4
>
> I need to find the sum of product in the column A and B. I can do this by
> using a third column. I simply find the products then sum them. I need to
> do this in one formula, not another column. I can do this by
> =a1*b1+a2*b2+....... The problem is the columns have over 50 values.
> Manually writing that would be real cumbersome. Any suggestion?
>
> Mosaddeq

0
bob.NGs (282)
12/3/2006 9:07:29 PM
=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A50,B1:B50)
--
Gary's Student

"Mosaddeq Aziz" wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry to bother you. I just couldn't find a way to solve it. Here is the
> scenario,
>
>           A        B
> 1        2         3
> 2        2         4
> 3        4         3
> 4        5         4
>
> I need to find the sum of product in the column A and B. I can do this by
> using a third column. I simply find the products then sum them. I need to do
> this in one formula, not another column. I can do this by
> =a1*b1+a2*b2+....... The problem is the columns have over 50 values.
> Manually writing that would be real cumbersome. Any suggestion?
>
> Mosaddeq

0
GarysStudent (1572)
12/3/2006 9:10:00 PM
You must have been really waiting for a suggestion since your response was
almost instant!<bg>

Appreciate the feed-back.

--
Regards,

> Works like a charm. Thanks pal for the effort.
>
> Mosaddeq Aziz
>
> "Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> > One of the few times that this is being used as Redmond originally
> > designed
> > it for:
> >
> > =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A4,B1:B4)
> > --
> > HTH,
> >
> > RD

-
> > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

-

> > "Mosaddeq Aziz" <mosaddeq@siriusbb.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Guys,
> >>
> >> Sorry to bother you. I just couldn't find a way to solve it. Here is
the
> >> scenario,
> >>
> >>           A        B
> >> 1        2         3
> >> 2        2         4
> >> 3        4         3
> >> 4        5         4
> >>
> >> I need to find the sum of product in the column A and B. I can do this
by
> >> using a third column. I simply find the products then sum them. I need
> > do
> >> this in one formula, not another column. I can do this by
> >> =a1*b1+a2*b2+....... The problem is the columns have over 50 values.
> >> Manually writing that would be real cumbersome. Any suggestion?
> >>
> >> Mosaddeq

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Copy from Excel and Paste into Outlook
Hi all, I am trying to automate the following procedure, but I have no clue as how to do it. Could you please advise? I have a spreadsheet, and I want to copy the contents of a Range, WITH formatting, and paste them into an HTML Email on Outlook. How do I do it with VBA? Thanks Alessandro ...

Excel - PDF
Is it possible to re-convert an Excel file which has been converted to a PDF back to Excel ? Ron100 wrote: > Is it possible to re-convert an Excel file which has been converted to a PDF > back to Excel ? No easy way if the spreadsheet has become a bitmap image. But OCR of a printed spreadsheet is a possible solution. You might wind up with a Word table that you can import into Excel. Bill You can turn a PDF file into an Excel file, you will NOT have the original Excel formulas macros etc. Only Text and or numbers. Ron100 wrote: > Is it possible to re-convert...

Remove Favorite Folders item from Outlook 2003
I know there's a technote stating that it can't be removed, but is there any third party 'hack' that can remove it? Thanks, Jeff >I know there's a technote stating that it can't be >removed, but is there any third party 'hack' that can >remove it? I've been searching for such a 'hack' for a while now without any luck. Anybody know why Microsoft chose not let us turn it off? Mark ? Because the vast majority of folks find this option extremely useful and only a few don't want it visible?? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post...

Running macros when multiple Excels are open
Some of the macros I have written sometimes do not function correctly if another instance of Excel is open. The other instance usually also contains macros that may or may not have been executed. I thought I read somewhere that this is a common problem but a recent search has not turned up anything. Does anyone know of a solution to this or any tips to minimise the chances of this happening? I am using both Excel 2003 and 2007. Thanks. I can see where it might be a big problem if there are file names, sheet namen or other names that are common to both versions of Excel or betwe...

outlook 2003 and lotus organizer 6
does anyone lnow if lotus organizer6 data files (.or6) can be imported directly into outlook 2003. I have Outlook 2002, which can only import Lotus Organizer 5 (.or5) files. thanks Outlook 2003 has the same options as 2002. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, steve asked: | does anyone lnow if lotus organizer6 data files (.or6) | can be imported direct...

Convert Excel document received. I do not have Excel
I cannot open Excel spreadsheet sent to me as I do not have Excel If just need to view the contents of the Excel spreadsheet, and you don't need to edit the spreadsheet, you can download and install a free Microsoft Excel viewer from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=273711. "Mutchie" wrote: > I cannot open Excel spreadsheet sent to me as I do not have Excel Also, how about ... www.openoffice.org (note: no vba) or a new upcoming app.. http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric -- firefyt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- firefy...

How to calculate age of a person?

entering data in excel invoices
-- TomA --- PattiD .. >-----Original Message----- > >-- >TomA >. > ...

Excel text corrupting problem
Has anyone seen anythink like what is happening in the Excel screenshot below .. http://www.jon-lamb.co.uk/tf_excel.gif The text is corrupting in cells. Its just happening on one PC and in most excel documents on that PC. It seems to happen a lot when cutting and pasting. So far, I've installed all office and windows updates, removed the anti virus software to test. Installed all graphics driver updates. PC spec is XP Pro, Celeron 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM. Office 2003 Any help much appreciated. Rgrds, Jon I believe that the display in XL is more through the Printer Driver than XL itself. T...

Excel Crashes Killing Me
Excel 2004, SP 11.2.3 PowerBook G4, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.3.9 I've been working on a complex Excel financial model for a month now. I was putting the final touches on the whole thing this afternoon when it suddenly crashed. Previous crashes (many) left the model in a stable state and recoverable. The model has about 400 names ranges and many macros. It generally has been running stably. Unfortunately, that's not the case tonight. I save sequential backups frequently by shutting down Excel, duplicating the file in the Finder and naming the backup file with a numerical sequence number. I&...

multiuser access to excel files
Is there a way to allow for multiple users to access an excel workbook simultaneously if it is stored on a network share? "Ric Deters" <ricdeters@swbell.net> skrev i en meddelelse news:058c01c35320$297e2e60$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to allow for multiple users to access an > excel workbook simultaneously if it is stored on a network > share? Look in the Functions menu. Third item from the top (using a danish version so I don't know the english name for it) -- /\ preben nielsen \/\ prel@post.tele.dk tools/share workbook, and a check box. how nea...

Due Date Calculated

Sum Product
I am trying to get a $ sum based on 2 text conditions, but keep getting a #NUM! error. My formula works only when I limit my search to certain rows. Ideally, here's how I'd like it to work: =SUMPRODUCT((O:O="Medical")*(R:R="Health Care")*(G:G)) The G column contains the $ figures that I'm trying to add. But every so often the column contains a necessary cell of text -- through trial and error, this fact seems to be causing the problem. Any ideas how I can fix this formula? Hi You cannot use full columns in a SUMPRODUCT. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT((O2:O650...

how to calculate outliers

Excel Formula #13
I have a spreadsheet to log a persons manhours performed for the month. 31 columns with a totals column to follow the last day of the month. We are a military organization and there are a number of different statuses that a guy could be in on a given day. If, on the 5th, the guy works a drill I want to record it as a "U" so I know his status for the day. I want the totals column to read that as 8 hrs worked. How can I get my totals column to recognize an alpha character as a number? Mark Assuming alpha characters are recorded in row 1, try: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:AE1="U&qu...

Calculated field options???

tenure calculations

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

Web page in excel 2000
I am trying to use a web page to determine the distance from two sets o zip codes (about 5000 or so), and I don't know where to start. I looke in the "using excel to work with data on the web", but was unable to d import the web page. I'm not even sure that's what I want to do. An direction would be appreciated. thanks -- jmert ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmertz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1600 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27471 ...

Exchange 2003 SBS And Outlook 2003
Hello We have the public folders in Exchange setup to except mail from the outside world, and what we are noticing that when mail is delivered to the folder it shows as a post. What we want is to make it act as an email, so when we reply to it we can reply to all of the original recipients. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh also one more question. When we add a new user to the exchange server, we can not add that acct to the persons outlook unless we restart the exchange services. Thanks In news:7A4E06F3-E6A7-485B-99DC-765F415A584C@microsoft.com, Exchange 2003 <Exchang...

Formula to calculate time

Outlook 2003 junk mail filter
i have fallen in love with the Outlook 2003 junk mail filter. however i made the mistake of not turning it on for a long time. the result is that i have about 2,000 messages in my inbox most of which are junk. is there any way to have Outlook run the junk mail filter on what is already in my inbox? thanks, v. On 27 Apr 2004 15:49, vim@mainst.com (veronica madsen) wrote: >i have fallen in love with the Outlook 2003 junk mail filter. however >i made the mistake of not turning it on for a long time. the result is >that i have about 2,000 messages in my inbox most of which are jun...