Blank entry in an IF statement returns FALSE. I want it to be blank

When I have no entry in a cell within an IF statement it returns as
"FALSE". I want it to be blank and have no value.

If I use if(ai="","") I still get FALSE unless the entry is done via
the spacebar and then I get a blank cell. How do I get a blank cell
when no entry is made?

Thank you,

Rudy
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You need to give the formula a FALSE option.  Assuming that you want the
value in A1 use:

=IF(A1="","",A1)

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

sandymann2@mailinator.com

"wasted wanderer" <seniorbrother@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I have no entry in a cell within an IF statement it returns as
> "FALSE". I want it to be blank and have no value.
>
> If I use if(ai="","") I still get FALSE unless the entry is done via
> the spacebar and then I get a blank cell. How do I get a blank cell
> when no entry is made?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rudy

0
sandymann2 (1054)
4/5/2008 7:17:02 PM
wasted wanderer <seniorbrother@gmail.com> wrote in news:fb799a39-694b-
4402-80bc-5e19f75db9f8@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com:

> When I have no entry in a cell within an IF statement it returns as
> "FALSE". I want it to be blank and have no value.
>
> If I use if(ai="","") I still get FALSE unless the entry is done via
> the spacebar and then I get a blank cell. How do I get a blank cell
> when no entry is made?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rudy

you have too few arguements. you are missing the 2nd ,
try

=IF(A1="","","")

Mailbox store drop down is blank in Exchange Task Wizard
I'm running Exchange 2003 tools on Windows XP sp2, and we're managing an Exchange 2000 install. For some reason, when I try to add mailbox to a user account in ADUC, the mailbox store dropdown list is blank. (Alias and Server fields are populated) This used to work. I've tried installing the 2003 admin tools on a new workstation (minus recent security patches), and still have the same issues. It seems to be network related and not permissions, as I can log on to the Exchange server directly, using the same credentials as my desktop, and the Exchange task Wizard does display th...

Return blank cell using a formula
Here is my formula: =if(iserr(h3/g3),"",h3/g3) The problem is I am using this data in a line chart and whenever there is a "", my line drops all the way down to zero. Can I make the formula completely blank the cell rather than filling it with a space? Try =if(iserr(h3/g3),NA(),h3/g3) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "asach" <asach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15E33E9F-6AE0-4028-B2C5-27BDD580701D@microsoft.com... > Here is my formula: =if(iserr(h3/g3),"",h3/g3) > > The problem is I am using this data in a line c...

IIF statement to hide a graphic
How can I use IIF statement to display or hide a graphic? Hi Bob If by Graphic you mean a chart. Try this it will hide charts on a page if a condition is not true. Take care Marcus Option Explicit Sub VisibleChObj() If Range("B1").Value = 1 Then ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Visible = True Else ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Visible = False End If End Sub ...

Rule to Delete Blank Subject
Can a rule be created to delete any email with no subject? Tried rule wizard & typed a blank space but didn't work. thanks dcrull <dcrull@carolina.rr.com> wrote: > Can a rule be created to delete any email with no > subject? Tried rule wizard & typed a blank space but > didn't work. Create a rule that applies to all mail to delete the message. Add an exception that individually specifies every keyboard character (separated by "or"). -- Brian Tillman ...

Remove duplicate enries with blank fields
I need to create a key word index for past issues of a magazine. Th index will be published on the publisher's website. Key words, title and issues are collected in an Excel file, and are alphabeticall sorted. One keyword can have multiple references to articles, but fo eastethic reasons I want to remove duplicate keywords while off cours maintaining the title and issue info. The result should look like this http://www.belastingzaken.nl/trefwoordenregister/P.htm (it's Dutch) I have deleted duplicate key words manually, but since I need to updat this index each month that's just ...

find & return value
My first spreadsheet is a calendar of sorts with date in one column and value in next. Dates for different months are in different columns, so we have: Date (Jan)| Value| Date (Feb)| Value| Date (Mar)| Value| etc. My second spreadsheet references this "calendar" but the layout is not the same at all (so lookups probably can't work?). In this spreadsheet, I have a list of various dates from different months. What formula can I use to return the corresponding value for the date, based on the source info in my first spreadsheet? Sounds right for VLOOKUP to me. Layout is im...

Questions on format of Select statement
SELECT tblCalls.ColTime, tblCalls.colProblem, tblCalls.colResolution from tblCalls, in dbCallLogs WHERE tblCalls.colResolution from tblCalls, in dbCallLogs where tblCalls.ColTime >= #12/1/2006# <= #3/2/2007# ORDER BY tblCalls.ColTime DESC; I want to know if this is right? I notice in some queries the table name before the column name is missing? Also when do you have to put in the database name? Is it the same in Access as SQL Server? I want the most recent first. I want those records betweeb 12.1.06 and 3.01.07. thanks, On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:30:07 -0700, Janis <Janis...

outlook2003: can't find MaxFileSize registry entry
Hi! all, One of the users whom I support has reached the size limit for her .pst file. The KB #832925 tell me how to change the size limit but I was unable to find all entrys in the registry. I'm can't find 11.0 under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\ in her windows or any of the other's that I support, and all them PC are windows xp sp2 + office 2003. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot! The instructions are not clear, you must create the key and values manually. For example if you expanded Microsoft and did not see an Office key, you would select/highlig...

I want to set up a book
I want to set up an 8 page book double sided print and ewant to know how to get started. Hi Geoff Barrett (Geoff Barrett@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I want to set up an 8 page book double sided print and ewant to know || how to get started. What size book/page? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Brian, I want to set a booklet up using 8 x 11 paper and I have Publisher 2003 and Word but don't seem to get anywher...

want to see excel author name tab
I used to see an author name tab when I would save a file using save as, but now I no longer even see the tab. How can I turn that function (2007) back on? Hi, I don't understand what you mean by '> I used to see an author name tab when I would save a file using save as' It has always been available under File|Properties but not as far as I know under the file|Save as dialog. To see it in E2007 Office Button|Prepare - Properties -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while ...

Newbie wants to create a chart in an Access Report
I have been using Access 2003 for a year or so, and now I would like to create a chart, but am clueless how to do this using the Wizard I have conducted a survey - the results of which are presented in a spreadsheet (EXCEL) I imported it into an Access data base table, but now would like to have a bar chart that shows how many men and women (2 bars) took the survey (This is a field in the table) I would have thought this was easy, but I can't seem to even get close Can you help ?? Many Thanks JM There is a complete demo of a survey at http://www.rogersacce...

Want to call a Web Service from a C++/MFC App in VS.NET 2003
I need to connect to a Web Service from a C++/MFC app. I created a Web Reference to my Web Service on localhost. There was a localhost.h created and in there was my class defined as a template as follows; template <typename TClient = CSoapSocketClientT<> > class CRegistrationInfoT : public TClient, public CSoapRootHandler { ... } In this class is a definition of the routines that I want to call, one of which is defined as: HRESULT GetClasses( ClassInfo** GetClassesResult, int* GetClassesResult_nSizeIs ); I can't figure out how to instantiate...

"N/A" for Annualized Return
Using Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe in Portfolio Manager View one of my accounts shows "N/A" for Annualized Return. I've 10 stocks in the account some dating back many years. I've made a through search for abnormal entries in this account and found none. A standard file repair shows "No broken records in the original file". I'm at a loss as to what to do next. In microsoft.public.money, Mr Ed wrote: >Using Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe in Portfolio Manager View one of my >accounts shows "N/A" for Annualized Return. I've 10 stocks in the >acc...

Return cell content in a matched range
I need help with the following formula: =IF(ISERROR(SUM(IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH($A$1,January!$F$8:$F$100))),January!$D$8:$D$100,0)))=FALSE,SUM(IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH($A$1,January!$F$8:$F$100))),January!$D$8:$D$100,0)),"") This formula works well for Sum total for all matches however I need to use it to return a word instead of a SUM . Example: Column D contains the folowing payment methods. ATM, Check, Draft I want to use the formula to find the match of A1 in the range F8-F100 and return what payment method was used located in Column D on the matched row. As you can tell it i...

Returning a named range source reference
Using XL03 I am using the code below, trying to create a list of named ranges and their source references. I'm having two problems. (1) There are some other names (named objects) in the workbook, and I don't want to return those; I just want to return named ranges, and (2) The code below returns the resulting range referred to, but not the source reference. For example, if the named range is "=offset(A1,1,1)" then I need to see that offset statement, not the resulting range of "B2". I tried everything that made sense from the help object model und...

IF statement that yields a value based on a formula
Help! If cell B12 >= 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on the formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero. How do I do this? -- barbara h IF(B12>=0,B12*0.4,IF(B12,0,0)) Click yes if helped -- Greatly appreciated Eva "barbara h" wrote: > Help! If cell B12 >= 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on the > formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero. > > How do I do this? > -- > barbara h Hi, Try this =MAX(0,B12*0.4) -- Mike ...

Counting Blanks in Non Numeric Fields
I am trying to see how many blank spaces employees leave when filling out a particular form. These fields are generally non numeric, though there are a few check boxes too. Is there an equation I can use in the report footer that would add up the total number of blanks? The goal would be to use that information and divide it by the total number of fields to produce a percentage of complete forms. Many thanks, Caro You'll need to decide what constitutes a "blank". If someone enters something, then deletes it, is that a "blank"? If someone skips past ...

exchange rate on journal entry #2
I ran into a strange situation today. My exchange rates are defined to pick the next exchange rate if the rates for the transaction dates are not defined. I have exchange rate defined as 1.1 for the period of 1/1/06 with expiration date of 1/7/06 and 1.2 for 1/8/06 with expiration date of 1/14/06. When I enter a journal entry for the date of 1/2/06, I expect the rate to be picked up will be 1.1 but the rate picked up is 1.2. If I enter a journal entry for the date of 1/1/06, the rate picked up is 1.1. can anyone explain? ...

Deleting multiple calendar entries
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I tried mobile me to sync entourage with my iphone. <br> Everytime the phone and entourage synced a duplicate entry was made in my entourage calendar. How can I delete multiple events in entourage at the same time? On 1/4/10 3:37 PM, numacguy@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Email Client: pop I tried mobile me to sync entourage with my iphone. > Everytime the phone and entourage synced a duplicate ...

ZwQuerySecurityObject, FltQuerySecurityObject, ObGetObjectSecurity returning ACCESS DENIED on a network share file.
Hi all. Havent posted here for a while, but I wanted your opinion on this issue. The codes OK, on local files these functions are fine, but they all return DENIED on a network shared file. There is an SMB2 conversation during this process with a QUERY_INFORMATION Class=FileInfo sent to the system with the share, which responds with STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED QUERY_INFORMATION. From reading up in SMB (Microsoft call it CIFS) I saw this: "Each server makes a set of shared resources available to clients on the network. A resource being shared may be a directory tree, a printer, a na...

Viewing ALL text entry for a cell
I have a spreadsheet which has a cell with long written descriptions for item entries in each row. Some descriptions are pretty lengthy and the cell seems to cut off the text entry once it's reached a particular length. How can I have the cell display the full text entry? I've got the cell formatted to wrap text and seems to do fine, until you reach a certain lenth (character count)??? Is there a max character count in the cells? If so, can that be changed?? I am using Excel 2000. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ from Excel XP help - Length of cell contents...

Move between records on a form (skipping subform entries)
Is there a way to step through specific records on a form, instead of every record, when a subform is attached (a one-to-many relationship)? I have a form (A) and a subform (B). Form/table A contains personal information and subform/table B contains the vehicles that the individual owns. The tables have a relationship of one-to-many (form/table A has one value that links to multiple values in form/table B). I have created a form that shows the table A "one" information at the top of the screen and the table/subform B "many" information below it. I would like t...

How do I time/date stamp an entry in a note from a calendar entry?
Using Outlook 2003. I have calendar entry "Call so and so...." I have called this person before and want to time date this call above the other one. I can enter it manually however other programs I have used wil do this automatically. Surely Outlook can do this? in outlook 2003 you need to use a utility or enter it manually. You can also use VBA to do it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.out...

Microsoft RMS and returns
I have a strange scenario- I have a bookstore customer who would like to "buy back" books (via return) but wants to be able to limit the amount of books to buy back (ex- 10). Is there a way to cap returns in the system, have a window pop stating how many have been returned thus far, or maybe note this somewhere in the system? Also- would we create a tender type for returns so we could track how much money was coming out for the buy back of the books? Andrea Hi Andrea, 1- To limit the number of returns to 10 items will require a development which is possible. Contact me if ...

tricky data entry question
I need to limit a cell's entries to numbers, commas and dashes, so entries such as 1,2,3,4-10,17 could be entered (these are just examples, the actual figures can go up to 999999). The tricky part is that I would also like to only allow an entry in this cell if another cell on the sheet is not empty. An example to summarise: I want to be able to say "allow an entry in this cell if cell A1 is not empty, and only allow the characters to be numbers, dashes or commas." Of course it may not be data validation that I need, (maybe a combination of number formatting and data vlidati...