I am trying to determine what is the best method to allow two users to
simultaneously make edits to the same Excel file. It is VERY rare that
we will ever be typing in the same Cell as the other person, but we
both need to work out of the same workbook at the same time.

We are working in two separate locations, by the way.

Is using Dropbox along with "Tools > Share Workbook" the way to go? Or
should I use Google Docs? Or possibly Sharepoint? Or Excel 2010 Web
Aps?

The main question I am trying to answer is "what actually works" and
is generally hassle free.

Thanks for any suggestions....
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Jul 2, 6:13=A0am, James Sheriff <educationfirst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to determine what is the best method to allow two users to
> simultaneously make edits to the same Excel file. It is VERY rare that
> we will ever be typing in the same Cell as the other person, but we
> both need to work out of the same workbook at the same time.
>
> We are working in two separate locations, by the way.
>
> Is using Dropbox along with "Tools > Share Workbook" the way to go? Or
> should I use Google Docs? Or possibly Sharepoint? Or Excel 2010 Web
> Aps?
>
> The main question I am trying to answer is "what actually works" and
> is generally hassle free.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions....

If you are having a server, then save the file in server location and
share the workbook.  Users of that workbook should give Cntrl+S before
and after doing any changes in the workbook then only the changes done
by you will reflect to other persons and the changes done by others
will reflect to you.

-----------------------
Ms-Exl-Learner
-----------------------
On Jul 2, 12:41=A0am, Ms-Exl-Learner <ms.exl.lear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 6:13=A0am, James Sheriff <educationfirst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to determine what is the best method to allow two users to
> > simultaneously make edits to the same Excel file. It is VERY rare that
> > we will ever be typing in the same Cell as the other person, but we
> > both need to work out of the same workbook at the same time.
>
> > We are working in two separate locations, by the way.
>
> > Is using Dropbox along with "Tools > Share Workbook" the way to go? Or
> > should I use Google Docs? Or possibly Sharepoint? Or Excel 2010 Web
> > Aps?
>
> > The main question I am trying to answer is "what actually works" and
> > is generally hassle free.
>
> > Thanks for any suggestions....
>
> If you are having a server, then save the file in server location and
> share the workbook. =A0Users of that workbook should give Cntrl+S before
> and after doing any changes in the workbook then only the changes done
> by you will reflect to other persons and the changes done by others
> will reflect to you.
>
> -----------------------
> Ms-Exl-Learner
> -----------------------

Ok thanks. So are you saying to use the Tools > Share Workbook option
to share it?

Automatically setting User account and exchange server
Hi All, How would I go about setting up possibly a login script that can automatically set up users account name and exchange server. I haven't really come accross what I'm after yet and was hopeing someone here would have an answer. Basically when a new user or a user with an outbox already; logs onto a different (or there first) machine that when they open outlook 2003 they have the settings for the server hosting exchange and thier user name automatically entered so that they don't need to contact us to have it sorted out. Thanks! Microsoft uses text files with a .prf exten...

Newbie needs macro help Excel 2000 #2
Greetings, I need a little bit of assistance in creating a macro in Excel 2000, pc platform. I would like the macro to ask for a beginning number and an ending number. The macro would then populate the corresponding number of rows in column A (original number) and in column B a number starting with 1 and increasing by 1 until the ending number is met. For example, the macro asks for beginning number (I would enter 123) and ending number is 130: cell A1 would contain 123, cell A2 contains 124, cell A3 contains 125, cell A4 contains 126, cell A5 contains 127, cell A6 contains 128, cell...

Still recieving e-mail for deleted users
We are receiving e-mails for users that were been deleted from our server years ago. Does anyone know how to block these e-mails. We have a SPAM program that allows you to blacklist but it does not stop the messages from coming through. Create ea distribution list containing no members, but which has all the long-gone users' smtp addresses. This is called a blackhole DL. Exchange will accept the mail but silently drop it - no NDRs, no storage. -- hth, SusanV "RB" <pr@epley-pr.com> wrote in message news:574a01c40071$05a154a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > We are receiving...

Excel Formula Poser
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C74C75.8BD73550 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have created a worksheet to provide details of resources. Within the worksheet are separate sheets for each month this financial year (i.e. Feb 2007 - March 2008) Along the top I have three separate rows with differing rates for different clients and below, I have a number of sections for those different clients which list different projects. Within each of these sections are formulae in the form: =(C6*C15)+...

FRx SP10 Export to Excel
Hello all, We have encountered a problem in FRx whereby: - a report is set to output to Excel (with Export Formulas switched on) - the row contains a total - there is more than one column of figures The formula in the total cell will be the same for every column - i.e. it will show the total of the first column in every column of data. Naturally we can get around this by turning off Export Formulas, but this is hardly a good solution. Similar issues seem to have been reported in KB902625 and KB865083, but both of these were subsequently fixed in earlier Service Packs. Has the bug been rein...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

Displaying Multiple-Page Linked OLE Files in Excel
Is there a way to display more than the first page of a multiple-page Word document linked to an Excel spreadsheet as an OLE object? It's possible to click through to the original document, but I'm unable to find a way to display the entire document within Excel without distorting the image. ...

Data not downloading to .xls file but it is in the database
OK, I am relatively familiar with Access 2003, but I have been asked to figure out why the data in that is entered into the database shows it when looking on the database but it is not generating it to the list of updated documents. Here is a bit of the background...I just started working at this company 2 days ago, well the file is an excel file but the path for the file is generated to a person's C: drive who no longer is employed here. I am trying to change that path...and am having no luck. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks! Is the file even on their machine? You...

make a conditional format the default
I have a conditional format that highlights the protected ( locked) cells in a different colour. How can I save this format as the default format to be used automatically when I start a new worksheet regards fred from south africa -- Think of the trees - use both sides of the computer paper Hi Fred, See response to your post lat week: http://tinyurl.com/6l8pz --- Regards, Norman "Fred Evans" <fred@polyflexseals.co.za> wrote in message news:cov6p0$se1$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net... > > I have a conditional format that highlights the protected ( locked) ce...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

Why do I get some missing minor gridlines in an excel chart?
I have an excel chart. The horizontal minor gridlines (y-axis) show correctly. Some of the vertical minor gridlines (x-axis) are missing. Any ideas on how to correct this. I can turn the minor gridlines off, but I would like to have them for my content. What version of Excel? Line or XY chart ? Any chance you could share the data with us? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "maryrose" <maryrose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBF4F518-C554-4564-A9A7-4217D67508DC@microsoft.com... ...

Scanning and Excel
I have a great question. Would it be possible to take a document that I scan in with monetary figures on the document and create a corresponding spreadsheet to where the monetary figures populated the corresponding fields on the spreadsheet (i.e. mileage on the scanned document would populate the mileage field in excel, so that I could calculate the total cost for mileage)Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would think that this would depend on your scanner and the software that came with it. And if you got lucky enough to have a scanner that did it and an accurate OCR program, t...

User Setable Default Value for Field
On a subform, one of the fields is for recording the page number from paper forms. I'd like the user to be able to quickly set the default value (Integer) during data entry. I had no trouble making Command Buttons for "Page 1", "Page 2", and "Page 3", but now the paper data is coming in with more than 3 pages, and I'm trying to revamp the buttons to simply have one button for "+1" and one button for "-1". But the VBA code is giving me fits. I've tried this: Me.Form![sfrmIvDetail].Controls![txtPage].DefaultValue = (Me.Form![sfrmI...

getting data from excel worksheet in to a script
hi folks, i need to take input for my script from an excel sheet . the excel sheet has 8 worksheets and i want to select particular columns from a particular worksheet. please help me out in this regard. cheers, nuti ...

According to the Excel online help, the PivotCache.Connection property can be set to "the path to and file name of a text file". I tried setting it to the path and file name of a .csv file and it returned an error. Is there a way to load a PivotCache directly from a flat file without having to load into a spreadsheet or database? (The flat file has more than 1 million rows.) -- Tom Sherwood ...

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

Windows File Explorers could allow fonts face and color changes.
When I look at the desktop, I sometimes wish I could sort my files and folders. I imagine a system of boxes or cells to group items. The Desktop would look like a table of cells and the user would be able to put for example all the work files & folders in a cell, all the personal files&folders in another cell. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to ope...

Smartlist downloads to Excel crashes.
When downloading a smartlist to excel it often crashes. The problem is that it will not respond when I hit the 'Stop' button at all. I literally have to Control Alt Delete the entire GP program and then start all over again. Is there a way to kill this non responding job without killing the entire program. Do you mean you're in the middle of downloading to Excel & you want to stop it (before it crashes)? I don't think you can do that - you just have to wait it out :-) -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "DB" w...

Counting Two Characteristics from Two different Columns
I have a spreadsheet that lists Account Rep names in Column "A", Client Names in Column "B" and client status in Column "C" (i.e. active or inactive) Bob | Medco | Active Tim | Johnson | Inactive Tim | P-Products| Active Jill | Kaystar | Active Tim | Gemni | Active Bob | Transcorp | Inactive At the top of the Spreadsheet I want to tally the information to indicate that Tim has three clients, 2 Active Client and 1 Inactive client I believe I have done this before, but cannot for the life of me remember what I did - I have tried to do a SUMPRODUCT...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

Exchange
Hi, I would like to send e-mail with a lot of users, maybe more than 10.000 (partner list). Is there any users limit recepient in Exchange 2003 or any default number of users in BCC field? Thnx. Yes, there are limits. Look around on the properties of your Default SMTP Virtual Server and you should be able to figure out what your limits are set at. You also may want to take a look under your Global Settings, Message Delivery properties. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" ...

Anyone know if exchange allows/can allow plus addressing
Anyone know if exchange will accept and handle plus addressing correctly? Here's what I am talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_address#Plus_.28or_Minus.29_addressing So if my email is: someone@mycompany.com I should also receive emails sent to: someone+tag@mycompany.com I am not an exchange admin at my company, but currently it doesn't work at my company. Just wondering how to present the idea to the admins if possible. Thanks You can have both '+' and '-' signs in local part of e-mail address - Exchange will deliver message just fine. But tho...

excel #34
how can I create a formula that will let me determine who will be a winner in a elections. I already have the each individual votes and total votes, but I need a formula to input the winner Starting in A1, I have Dora 12 Jack 15 Emma 10 The name of the winner is picked out by =INDEX(A1:A3,MATCH(MAX(B1:B3),B1:B3)) What do you want to happen if there is a draw for maximum? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Shone33" <Shone33@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA8BE9EB...

User-defined fields in Tasks . . .
Two questions please: 1. How can I RENAME a user-defined field in Tasks, once it has been created. (not just in a column heading, but the actual field name) 2. How can I DELETE all fields whose value is (NONE) from all records so that my files do not become too large (after I have deleted obselete user-defined fields). I know how to delete field entries on individual records one at a time, but this would take me days. Thank you. ...

Access to other users mailbox
Hope somebody can help We have recently upgraded server & exchange from 2000 to 2003 versions, are using outlook xp clients. We have one generic mailbox that several users have rights to so the contents can be checked, discarded, acted apon etc. We used to be able to forward an email from this maibox to another user, however since the upgrade we get a 'You do not have permission to send to this recipient' when we try this. No rights were altered during the upgrade, so I have no idea why this happens. Any Ideas ? TIA Frank H Found it >-----Original Message----- >H...