I am trying to determine what is the best method to allow two users to
simultaneously make edits to the same Excel file. It is VERY rare that
we will ever be typing in the same Cell as the other person, but we
both need to work out of the same workbook at the same time.

We are working in two separate locations, by the way.

Is using Dropbox along with "Tools > Share Workbook" the way to go? Or
should I use Google Docs? Or possibly Sharepoint? Or Excel 2010 Web
Aps?

The main question I am trying to answer is "what actually works" and
is generally hassle free.

Thanks for any suggestions....
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Jul 2, 6:13=A0am, James Sheriff <educationfirst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to determine what is the best method to allow two users to
> simultaneously make edits to the same Excel file. It is VERY rare that
> we will ever be typing in the same Cell as the other person, but we
> both need to work out of the same workbook at the same time.
>
> We are working in two separate locations, by the way.
>
> Is using Dropbox along with "Tools > Share Workbook" the way to go? Or
> should I use Google Docs? Or possibly Sharepoint? Or Excel 2010 Web
> Aps?
>
> The main question I am trying to answer is "what actually works" and
> is generally hassle free.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions....

If you are having a server, then save the file in server location and
share the workbook.  Users of that workbook should give Cntrl+S before
and after doing any changes in the workbook then only the changes done
by you will reflect to other persons and the changes done by others
will reflect to you.

-----------------------
Ms-Exl-Learner
-----------------------
On Jul 2, 12:41=A0am, Ms-Exl-Learner <ms.exl.lear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 6:13=A0am, James Sheriff <educationfirst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to determine what is the best method to allow two users to
> > simultaneously make edits to the same Excel file. It is VERY rare that
> > we will ever be typing in the same Cell as the other person, but we
> > both need to work out of the same workbook at the same time.
>
> > We are working in two separate locations, by the way.
>
> > Is using Dropbox along with "Tools > Share Workbook" the way to go? Or
> > should I use Google Docs? Or possibly Sharepoint? Or Excel 2010 Web
> > Aps?
>
> > The main question I am trying to answer is "what actually works" and
> > is generally hassle free.
>
> > Thanks for any suggestions....
>
> If you are having a server, then save the file in server location and
> share the workbook. =A0Users of that workbook should give Cntrl+S before
> and after doing any changes in the workbook then only the changes done
> by you will reflect to other persons and the changes done by others
> will reflect to you.
>
> -----------------------
> Ms-Exl-Learner
> -----------------------

Ok thanks. So are you saying to use the Tools > Share Workbook option
to share it?

Template for recording BLOOD PRESSURE for Excel 2002
Hi all, Recently discovered have High Blood Pressure. Need to record BP different time of a day for weeks and get averages etc. etc. Where can I download a template from. Any pointers. Thanks I sent one privately. Other requests will be honored but ONLY if OFF list. I will NOT respond to a request made here. "Bigdady" <nobegdadyspam@nospamblyeyonder.co.uk.> wrote in message news:qp13nv8v6kv5grucpcfia4bpa7prq5ss6k@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > Recently discovered have High Blood Pressure. Need to record BP > different time of a day for weeks and get averages etc. ...

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

Does the add in Template Wizard exist for Excel 2003
I recently upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003. I have a Template that was linked to a worksheet using the Template Wizard with Data Tracking. When I open the worksheet now, I get a error that says "Cannot open Template Wizard". I can't find this add-in for Excel 2003. Does it exist? Is there a work around? Hi Casey The Add-in is working in 2003 only the install file is not working. Copy the xla file from a PC with 2002 to the PC with 2003 and it will work(use Tools>add-ins to browse to the file in Excel) If you don't have a PC with 2002 then mail me priva...

Linking a graph to a csv file
**Excel 2002 Hello, I'm sure this is exceedingly easy, but somehow, I'm screwing this up. I ultimately need to have a self- updating PowerPoint file (client mandates a ppt file). According to ppt's help, that means I have to use linked Excel graphs, not embedded ppt graphs. However, my programmer will be supplying me with tons of csv files. When I try to create an excel file with a data link to a csv file, it tells me that it can't update it unless I open the source file. I *can't* take the time to open each csv - there will be hundreds. What am I missing wi...

make column lists for select query.
sheet1 table1 col1_1 table1 col1_2 table1 col1_3 table1 col1_4 table1 col1_5 table1 col1_6 table2 col2_1 table2 col2_2 table2 col2_3 table2 col2_4 .... .... sheet2 table1 col1_1,col1_2,col1_3,col1_4,col1_5,col1_6, table2 col2_1,col2_2,col2_3,col2_4, .... .... I want to make column lists for some table listed in sheet1. for example, select column_lists from table1 without vba is it possible? thanks. I think you may want some dependent lists. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html HTH, Barb Reinhardt "kang" wrote: > sheet1 > table1 col1_1 > table1 col1_2 >...

Volume logging to user
Is there any way to determine which users are getting all the email in an exchange organization? On Apr 28, 2:52 pm, talkinggoat <johnmclaren...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is there any way to determine which users are getting all the email in > an exchange organization? I found a way to accomplish my goal by opening the performance log file in Excel. It isn't EXACTLY what I wanted, but it will work. I was looking for something that could display graphs and separate the emails according to volume, that way I would have an easier time sorting out and blocking spammers. If anyone has ...

Quirky recent file list #2
Debra--- I do tend to open from Windows Explore more then File>Open. But I am saving the file. It's more that it is annoying when I close a file by accident and don't quite remember where it got saved on the server. Stacie -- SPenney ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SPenney's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1079 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=267592 Well, I guess you weren't the only one who wanted this behaviour changed. <g> If/when you upgr...

Opening a new instance of Excel

Excel Edit F2 button changed for Mac???

allowing or disallowing changing the state of check box
Hi, what's the best moment to check if the user has right to change the state of check box and then to allow it or cancel it. I've tried with "before update" event procedure. It seems to work but after, when I press anything else on the form event procedure is repeating? Any help? thanx alekmil One addition: The problem occurs (repeating) when Cancel = True was applied previosly. "alekm" wrote: > Hi, > what's the best moment to check if the user has right to change the state of > check box and then to allow it or cancel it. I'...

EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2

outlook 2000 help file

Excel Crash

Import Palm files
Can anyone help me by telling me how to import palm files (dat files) into outlook. I want to import contact, calendar, etc Depends what you can export to from Palm Desktop. Personally, I've found this messy. Why not just get sync software that can sync your Palm with Outlook directly? Chapura Pocketmirror or Pumatech Intellisync are two ideas....or your Palm CD may have come with this option. F. Carvalho wrote: > Can anyone help me by telling me how to import palm files > (dat files) into outlook. I want to import contact, > calendar, etc ...

Edit Microsoft Exchange System Object with ADSI
When I applied a new recipient policy to add a 2nd domain name to our users, I applied it to all rather than using a filter to only pick the users in the Users OU. Everything was still fine but we have one conflict. A public folder had the same name as a user and thus had the same email address. We are getting the event:Event ID: 9514 Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Description: Two objects in the Directory have the same proxy - /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName1]/CN=[Object1] and /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName2]/CN=[Object2] I deleted the public folder b...

connect a form to excel database
I have a database in excel which lists our stock and prices etc. I would like to be able to enter a stock number on an invoice that will retrieve the details and price from my excel database. Can this be done? Excel has built in option--try data|form. If that doesn't quite work, but it's close, John Walkenbach has an enhanced dataform at: http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm And if you want to design your own, Debra Dalgleish has a get started with userforms: http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html Kathy wrote: > > I have a database in excel which lists our stock and p...

Excel to check for regular expression?
Hi, How do you use Regular expression in excel? For eg: Check a column of data to see whether are all of them valid email addresses? Please advise THanks By valid, do you mean that the email is in proper syntax or that it is an actual email address. Text formulas can be used for proper syntax. Perhaps a Visual Basic proceedure. I doubt you can check that the email address actually exists, as many companies and ISPs will simply disregard and drop mail to invalid email addresses to eliminate spam "user" wrote: > Hi, > > How do you use Regular expression ...

Does anyone know where I can download EXCEL.MSI?
I am missing my Excel 2002 CD, and can't install Office Update Service Pack 3 without this file. ...

Excel ignores boot-time regional settings when interpreting a date
I have a third party DDE app that exports dates as strings, correctly using the short date format in the regional and language settings, which, in my case is MM/DD/YYYY (reset at every boot). Unfortunately excel insists in interpreting that date as DD/MM/YYYY [Application.International(xlDateOrder)=1, it should be 0], disregarding my regional settings. The result is that all the dates are wrong or #VALUES! If this is not wierd enough, listen to this: it only happens after I reboot (when the date format is reset to MM/DD/YYYY). If subsequently I change the short date format in the regional se...