Beginner question #2

Please forgive what might be a beginner question.
I have a spread sheet that is made up of 10 columns.
I would like to make it so that each time I change a
number in these columns, the sub-total at the bottom
of each column changes automatically AND so that
the sub-total in the far right column changes automatically.

Is there a template for this??

Thanks so much!!!

0
jenny7643 (2)
12/20/2006 4:43:51 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You would use a function for that, lets say you have values in A1 to A10,
then in A11 place this =SUM(A1:A10), or =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10.
got the idea??
"jenny" <jenny@hotmail.net> skrev i melding
> Please forgive what might be a beginner question.
> I have a spread sheet that is made up of 10 columns.
> I would like to make it so that each time I change a
> number in these columns, the sub-total at the bottom
> of each column changes automatically AND so that
> the sub-total in the far right column changes automatically.
>
> Is there a template for this??
>
> Thanks so much!!!

0
nomail1151 (11)
12/20/2006 5:25:19 PM
"DS-NTE" <nomail@please.no> wrote in message
> You would use a function for that, lets say you have values in A1 to A10,
> then in A11 place this =SUM(A1:A10), or =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10.
> got the idea??

Could you walk me through the keystrokes??  Are you saying that I simply
type
A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10 and nothing else??  I tired that and
it didn't work.

0
jenny7643 (2)
12/21/2006 12:58:41 AM
Perhaps you didn't notice that all formulas in XL start with an equal sign.

If you have a 10 column by 10 row array (A1 to J10), and you want to total
each individual column AND each individual row, start with this in A11:
=Sum(A1:A10)
And this in K1:
=Sum(A1:J1)

Now, XL allows you copy these formulas from cell to cell, and
*automatically* changes the cell references to accommodate for the new
location of the copied formula.
Copying the formula from A11 to B11 will result in the formula changing to:
=Sum(B1:B10)
And copying the formula in K1 to K2 will result in:
=Sum(A2:J2)

To copy a cell (formulas OR data), select the cell.
You'll notice a small square in the lower right hand corner of the
selection.
This is called the "Fill Handle".
Hover the cursor over this square until it changes from a fat white cross to
a skinny black cross.
Then click and drag this fill handle down a column or across a row as far as
you need to copy the original's contents.

In XL, there's always more then one way to accomplish any task.
Here are a few ways (formulas) that you could use to total the contents of
cells A1 to A10:

=Sum(A1:A10)
=A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10
=Sum(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8,A9,A10)

Each syntax has it's own benefits which we won't get into here.

Post back with any further questions.
--
HTH,

RD

"jenny" <jenny@hotmail.net> wrote in message

> "DS-NTE" <nomail@please.no> wrote in message
> > You would use a function for that, lets say you have values in A1 to
A10,
> > then in A11 place this =SUM(A1:A10), or =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10.
> > got the idea??
> >

> Could you walk me through the keystrokes??  Are you saying that I simply
> type
> A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10 and nothing else??  I tired that and
> it didn't work.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
12/21/2006 4:01:51 AM
Jenny,
Suppose you have numbers in A1 to A10 and you want to add them up and
display the answer in A11
Select the cell where you want the answer to go, in this case A11
then type =sum to tell excel to calculate what follows and that is (A1:A10)
which means add the contents of A1 to A10.
Therefore  =sum(A1:A10) if placed in cell A11 means,
Add the contents of A1 to A10 and place the answer in A11.

Not that long ago I was in the same boat.

Mickey

"jenny" <jenny@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> Please forgive what might be a beginner question.
> I have a spread sheet that is made up of 10 columns.
> I would like to make it so that each time I change a
> number in these columns, the sub-total at the bottom
> of each column changes automatically AND so that
> the sub-total in the far right column changes automatically.
>
> Is there a template for this??
>
> Thanks so much!!!

0
Mouse1 (17)

Report Help/Question
Is there a way to get a special transaction to show up in a report I generate monthly that shows what I spend on bills each month...this is a customized report, not one of the pre-fabed ones the money has, that I print each month to show the full amount paid? The particular issue is this: Each month I pay the full amount owed on a on a gasoline card bill; the expense is categorized as "auto:gasoline" but when I pay the bill the category is "Credit Card Payment:Gasoline Card." Credit Card Payment:Gasoline Card isn't a selectable option for the report, yet it's a &q...

names #2
I deleted all the named ranges from my worksheet using te menu Insert --> Name --> Define and then deleting the names in the box. But when I copy a worksheet, it still says "A formula or sheet you want to copy contains the name 'wrn.evaluation', which already exists on the destination worksheet..." How can there still be names left? I thought I deleted them all? Thanks. Dave In an earlier discussion, Jan Karel Pieterse wrote that wrn.newreport gets created when using the report manager. I don't recall ever using the report manager, but I've seen names t...

Can't delete an email #2
I'm using Outlook Express 6, on winxp sp2 and I received some sort of incomplete email that I cannot delete. I see half of the New email msg icon (as opposed to the proper full unread icon, or the read icon), but there is no sender, subject or receive date. If i right click on the email, the properties menu item is greyed out. The delete and move options are available but neither actually do anything. Right now its quite annoying as this folder shows one unread email and I can't seem to do anything with it. If I try opening the email I get this message: Message could not be ...

Upgrade questions
OK, I think I'm finally ready to upgrade to E2K. No need to get in any hurry. ;O) Here's the scenario... I have Exch 5.5 running on W2K SP3. I have some much newer hardware that has become available that I would like to use. The current machine is very flaky and has some subtle problems that are hard to describe. The site name is the old name of the company (execs don't like to see this). I have about 80 mailboxes, 20 DL's, 25 custom recipients and 350 public folders. My first choice would be to build and entirely new machine in a new site and start from scratch. Am I ...

probably a simple question but...
I have an Excel 2000 document that basically sums up individual category sales and calculates percent of total sales for each of location of our company. What I'm wondering is, can I put one of these on sheet one of a document, another on sheet two of the same document, and then create one on sheet 3 that adds from sheets 1 & 2 to give me a total for the entire company? And if so, then what would the basic functions look like? And does anyone have a good web reference for learning more complicated features of Excel (I'm just a beginner)? Matt wrote... >I have an Exc...

autofilter question, quickie
Does anyone know how to do the following: say i'm making this filter... Name Blah Blah Blah <------filters <------blank line <------blank line tom y sue y tim n ...how do i make it so that when i click and filter, the results won' move up to where the blank lines are? for example, this is what ends up happening: Name Blah Blah Blah tom y sue y ...but what I want this to happen: Name Blah Blah Blah <---blan lines stay <---blank lines stay tom y sue y thanks in advance for all your help -- Me...

CScrollBar #2
Hello, I have a dilaog, made with the resource editor, with a custom window in it,. Within the custom window I'm drawing an image. Its possible that this image may be larger than the custom window, so I need scroll bars. Using the Resource editor I added a horizontal and a vertial scroll bar to this dialog. These CScrollBars are to be used with the custom window. I'm able to set the range for the scroll bars properly as well as retrive the value where the scroll box currently is. The problem I'm having is that once a mouse up occurs after dragging the scroll box, ...

Email Question

inserting selected row in other sheet-macro question
Sub Macro7() Selection.Copy Sheets("Blad2").Select Rows("101:101").Select Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown End Sub now the selection is pasted in "Blad2" in a new row which is inserted at row 101. but i want the selection to be pasted after the LAST row. it's not that hard i just can't seem to find it in the vast amount of code google gives me when i do a search. thnx in advance. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Veggatron, try this Sub Macro7() Selection.Copy Sheets("Blad2").Select Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offs...

Licensing Question
If your running an Exchange 2003 cluster, do you have to buy two copies of Exchange 2003 Advanced Ed. if your running in Active/Passive mode?? Also, My company chose not to participate in Software Assurance, but now that I want to move to Exchange 2003, I can't find any upgrade licenses to buy? Do I have to buy the entire license? (no upgrade pricing?) "Jason" <jingram@dpconline.com> wrote: >If your running an Exchange 2003 cluster, do you have to buy two copies of >Exchange 2003 Advanced Ed. if your running in Active/Passive mode?? Yes, you do. Server licensin...

Deleting junk mail #2
Is there a way of setting up a rule which would delete any mail containing characters from a particular language, say, Japanese? PE <pitsofearth@msn.com> wrote: > Is there a way of setting up a rule which would delete any mail > containing characters from a particular language, say, Japanese? Outlook version? -- Brian Tillman ...

Question about DLL using MFC
Hi! I am new to the DLL world. I have created a simple class declared as following: class __declspec(dllexport) myapi { public: // status bool error; // last status char *errmsg; // if error is true, this is the reason // default constructor and destructor myapi(); virtual ~myapi(); private: void setErrmsg(const char *str); }; and the setErrmsg() is implemented as: void myapi::setErrmsg(const char *str) { AFX_MANAGE_STATE(AfxGetStaticModuleState()); int len; len = strlen(str); if(len != 0) { if(errmsg != NULL) { delete [] errmsg; errmsg = NULL; } errmsg = new ch...

List help #2
I am needing to have a list populated with data dependant on the valu chosen in another field. Basically when a person chooses a day of th week I want to have the next field list the times of scheduled event for them to choose one of. I have looked at the help file for how t write a macro for the adding or modifying of data validations but th examples when I put them into the code have errors even when copied an pasted as they appear. I am confused about how to get this to work. would like to avoid using a combo box or other control and would prefe to have it be in the cell directly. An...

Counting question
Hello, Column 1 contains a product ID and could contain just one entry or several entries depending upon how many reels of that product ID we have in inventory. Column 2 has the reel quantity in feet. I need to get a total quantity in feet for each product ID. Column 1 Column 2 Prod ID Feet ABC 100 ABC 150 ABC 200 XYZ 50 XYZ 50 I need the total product, in this example ABC = 450 ft and XYZ = 100 ft. I have over 3000 lines and over 600 products I can't do it manually. I think a pivot table would do it but I'm not sure... tks, st...

embarrasing newbie question
Hi Im actually only a newbie with GUI programming under VC++ Last week, I added a button to my rebar, and to handle it in my MainFrame I just chose the buttons ID in the middle combo in the wizard bar, and selected Add Windows Message Handler. Then, in the left panel I saw UPDATE_COMMAND_UI. I simply then add a Member Function to MainFrame and all was good. However today, I do the same steps with a new button, but in the dialog box I only see BN_CLICKED and BN_DOUBLECLICKED. The UPDATE_COMMAND_UI is missing. Whats funny is, even if I choose the button I made last week, and go into...

Is there help for beginners?
I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft Outlook came with it. I cannot figure out how to use it! I can get email, but I cannot send it! It stays in the Outbox forever, and when I try to send it from there, I'm told it's not possible. Aren't there any beginner tutorials I can look at? I really could use some help! Thanks! -- drexlori In news:A1E6C03C-FCA4-4125-B97A-B4515798D670@microsoft.com, drexlori <drexlori@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft > Outlook came with it. I cannot...

series order #2
I have some macros that build a series of charts. Some of the charts have series with the Y axis rendered on both sides of the chart. The right side, secondary axis, always seems to be "after" the left side, meaning that when the chart lines are in the same area the right side ocludes the left. How can I change the order such that the right side is before or behind the left side? Thank you, Bryan Bryan - You can flip the chart so the primary is on the right and secondary on the left. 1. Chart menu - Chart Options - Axes tab: check the Secondary Category Axis (if it i...

Appending Date to File Name Syntax Question
Using WinXP and Access2K2 In the following 'on click' event in visual basic a text file is produced and sent to a file folder. The file name is always the same. I'd like to be able to append the current date to the file name ending up with as an example; "ADIF_11032007.adi", or whatever date it happens to be at the time of the report. My code so far: Dim stDocName As String Dim MyDate As String MyDate = Date 'Selects which report to use based on queries for each report If optQSL = 1 Then stDocName = "rptADIF_eQSL" Els...

Count between a Date Range #2
Appreciate the help! Aided in correcting my problem..... -- Miguelr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Miguelre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1462 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26299 ...

Question #10
1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images everytime I open a message? John Jeremiah wrote: > 1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images > everytime I open a message? > > > John > > try going to options, security, click "download picture settings" AL "Jeremiah" <jeremiah@truth.org> wrote in message news:eIxKcxdJGHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > 1. How can I setup Outlook 2003 under WinXP to auto download all images > everytime I open a message? > > > Joh...

Access 2007 and the MS Forms 2.0 Scrollbar control
I have a form that contains a Forms 2.0 scrollbar control. The form has been working perfectly under Access 2002, but I'm evaluating Access 2007 and the scrollbar's Updated event doesn't seem to be firing at all. Is anyone familiar with using this control under Access 2007? Thanks for any information, Carl Rapson Hello Carl, I tested on Access 2007 and I saw the same behavior. Also, I found that Ms Form Image update event is no longer detected by the VBA. It seems the support of MS Forms 2.0 controls is not complete in Access 2007. I have forwarded this issue to the pro...

Auto-Reply #2
people from outside cannot get my message out of offict i Unchecked the disable out of office to the internet box > in the imc then restart the ims > > Still, nobody from outside get my out of office message !! > > anyone knows? "Rick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:125f601c3f629 $b4dc89f0$a401280a@phx.gbl: > people from outside cannot get my message out of offict > > i Unchecked the disable out of office to the internet box >> in the imc then restart the ims >> >> Still, nobody from outsid...

Filter 2 separate columns in Excel
Can I filter more than one column in one worksheet? For example, if I have paper size in one column and project number in another, I need to list all A4 drawings with project number 1234. As far as I can see it's only possible to have one filter per worksheet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Martin Forgot to mention, I'm using Excel 2007.. "Martin" wrote: > Can I filter more than one column in one worksheet? For example, if I have > paper size in one column and project number in another, I need to list all A4 > drawings with project number 1234. As far ...

Flagged Items #2
I cannot get flagged items in the inbox or sent items to 'alarm' me at set time. Are the Inbox and the Sent Items folder you're talking about located in the default mail store (i.e. the set of folder where your e-mail is delivered)? Or are they in a secondary storage file? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:63d601c4013b$64acf010$a401280a@phx.gbl, Rich wrote: > I cannot get flagged items in the inbox or sent items > to 'alarm&...

Offset question
I need a formula in cell C4 which will place the value of cell D4 in cell B4. Cell B4 can contain no formula Hi Patrick It cannot be done without Visual Basic. A formula cannot create data in any cell, other than the cell containing the formula. -- Regards Roger Govier "Patrick C. Simonds" <ordnance1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23yNl6xfFIHA.4140@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I need a formula in cell C4 which will place the value of cell D4 in cell >B4. Cell B4 can contain no formula ...