Backup always

How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save,
it will 'Always Create Backups'.  That is,  want the default behavior for
Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to
have to check every file before saving, please.  (Used to be able to do
this:~(
0
Sullivan (7)
6/28/2005 5:31:03 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could try something like this, Michael:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=456
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Michael Sullivan" <Michael Sullivan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:07C5980A-299C-4897-9D10-E1A31867F261@microsoft.com...
> How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and
save,
> it will 'Always Create Backups'.  That is,  want the default behavior for
> Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want
> have to check every file before saving, please.  (Used to be able to do
> this:~(

0
ng1 (1444)
6/28/2005 5:39:30 PM
Copied from help file ...

Save a backup copy of a workbook
On the File menu, click Save As.
On the Tools menu, click General Options.
Select the Always create backup check box.
Click OK, and then click Save.

"Michael Sullivan" wrote:

> How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save,
> it will 'Always Create Backups'.  That is,  want the default behavior for
> Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to
> have to check every file before saving, please.  (Used to be able to do
> this:~(
0
bigwheel926 (227)
6/28/2005 9:19:03 PM
If you want to make the default for new workbooks have that option checked, you
can create a new workbook and fix every setting that you want--including this
one.

Save the workbook in your XLStart folder and name it book.xlt.

If you want to find out where that folder is:

Open excel
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-g  to see the immediate window.
type this and hit enter:
?application.StartupPath

For me (winXP and xl2003), I get:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

If you want to really intercept the save of every workbook--not just the new
ones created using that book.xlt as the template, you're gonna need a workbook
that is always open when you open excel.

Then you can build an application event that looks for the user doing a save.

Start a new workbook
hit alt-f11 to see the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer (like windows explorer)

Find your workbook's name and select it.
hit the asterisk on the numeric keypad to expand all the "components" of the
project.

Look for ThisWorkbook and double click on it.
This is where the the workbook_beforeclose and workbook_open procedure would go.

Paste this into the code window:

Option Explicit
Public WithEvents xlApp As Excel.Application
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Set xlApp = Application
End Sub
Private Sub Workbook_Close()
    Set xlApp = Nothing
End Sub
Private Sub xlApp_WorkbookBeforeSave(ByVal Wb As Workbook, _
                ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)

    Dim myFileName As Variant
    Dim testStr As String
    Dim resp As Long

    myFileName = Wb.FullName

    If SaveAsUI Then
        myFileName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename _
                        (InitialFileName:=Wb.FullName, _
                        filefilter:="Excel file, *.xls")
        If myFileName = False Then
            Cancel = True
            Exit Sub
        Else
            testStr = ""
            On Error Resume Next
            testStr = Dir(myFileName)
            On Error GoTo 0

            resp = vbYes
            If testStr = "" Then
                'do nothing
            Else
                resp = MsgBox(Prompt:="Overwrite Existing File?", _
                            Buttons:=vbYesNo)
                If resp = vbNo Then
                    Cancel = True
                    Exit Sub
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End If

    'do the actual save
    With Application
        .StatusBar = "Saving " & myFileName
        .DisplayAlerts = False
        .EnableEvents = False
    End With

    On Error Resume Next
    Wb.SaveAs myFileName, FileFormat:=xlWorkbookNormal, CreateBackup:=True
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        MsgBox "Something went wrong.  File not saved" & vbLf _
            & Err.Number & "--" & Err.Description
        Err.Clear
    Else
        MsgBox "Saved as an xl workbook as: " & myFileName
    End If
    With Application
        .StatusBar = False
        .DisplayAlerts = True
        .EnableEvents = True
    End With

    Cancel = True 'we did the work, don't let excel do it again.

End Sub

============

I would save this as an addin--so I could turn it off when I don't want it (more
on that later).

File|SaveAs|choose "microsoft Office Add-In (*.xla)" from the "save as type:"
box.

You can save it into the addin folder that excel suggests/defaults to.

Now close excel (just to start fresh).

And reopen it.

Tools|Addins|and check that addin you just created.

=========
If you look at the code, you see that it only supports saving *.xls files with
this line:

    Wb.SaveAs myFileName, FileFormat:=xlWorkbookNormal, CreateBackup:=True

You could lots of coding to make sure you support other fileformats--or take the
lazy way out.

If you need to save a file as .prn, .csv, .whateverelseyouwant, just turn off
the addin, save the file and turn the addin back on (if you want).

Tools|Addins
and toggle to your heart's content.

=========

You can read a lot more about application events at Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/AppEvent.htm

--

Dave Peterson
0

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

Reading Exchange 2003 SMTP Logs / Expected emails don't always arrive
Hi, We have been experiencing an issue now for a week or so and feel as though I have exhausted every avenue in trying to find out why we are having this issue. Essentially some emails (with attachment) aren't always received by our users. The senders of the emails are, to the best of my knowledge, always the same users. From what I can make out the senders IT infrastructure has multiple Exchange servers (maila.domain.net, mailb.domain.net, mailc.domain.net etc). I have checked that no emails are getting blocked by the RBL we use and have included the senders domain in a white list. I ha...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

NT Backup and other backup issues
I'm getting an error when I try to schedule a backup system every day at a certain time. (0x8070005) I'm using an Admin account. ??? Is there any software that can backup files without changing them into a backup format? If I have 1000 files in 100 folders I'd like to see 1000 files in 100 folders in the backup location. Does any backup software do this? And it would have to be done incrementally so you're not backing up the same thing over and over for nothing. "FrankEdwards" <no@frank.here> wrote in message news:op.vbmurnheq6rutr@-...

BACKUPS #2
When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info require a seperate backup? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, hogbreath wrote: >When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info >include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info >require a seperate backup? Thanks. It's included. ========= 2006 suggested backup procedure Money 2006 introduces a useful multiple backup file feature. In M06: Tools->Settings->Bac...

Backup file #2
How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? Thanks, Tom Try Tools - Options - Save. This will automatically save a copy of your file every x minutes to the directory of your choice. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "tkanasoot@yahoo.com" wrote: > How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to > specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? > > Thanks, > Tom Do I need to set up my file to always create backup? Does this...

Exchange Front End Backup Frequency
Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End Exchange 2003 Standard 2003 AD native/native Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding. What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it holds no real changing data? Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully) Backend has sufficient backups every day in place. Thanks for your help, Harry On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates" <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote: >Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End >Exchange 2003 Standard >2003 AD native/native &...

Exmerge Backup
hi we have exchange 2003 on and windows 2003 server. i login as administrator and i want to take backup of all the mailbox that are present useing Exmerge. but Exmerge doesnt recomend to change the permissions of administrator (recieve as and send as permissions which are denyed by default) . i have created a user who has admin previlages and i have created security group with receive and send as permissions set and made this user a memeber of that serurity group. now how do i run exmerge do i have to login to windows using this login or how how do i login to exchange with this user...

Backup OneNote files to CD
I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put them on CD but could not restore them from CD. I did not use the backup facility, as I am a new user of onenote and was unaware of this function. I now use back up regularly. My question is: is this the correct way to save files so I can put them on a CD and be able to restore them back in onenote should the need arise? I don't want to take a chance of losing any more files. -- John -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put ...

Best practice .pst files on network shares for backup purposes
We encourage our users to periodically move their e-mail items from the users mailbox to a .pst folder thus preventing their exchange mailboxes from 'growing bigger and bigger. Those .pst files resided in the C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local folders but because we had a couple of problems with users with a corrupt / lost .pst file and the fact that we don't have backups of their local disks we decided to put the .pst files on a network share. This way we'd always have a backup on tape of the file in case something went wrong But it seems Microsoft doesn't a...

Backup always
How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save, it will 'Always Create Backups'. That is, want the default behavior for Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to have to check every file before saving, please. (Used to be able to do this:~( You could try something like this, Michael: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=456 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Michael Sullivan" <Michael Sullivan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Exchange backup failing! Backup exec 10d and Windows backup
Hi I've got a 2 node active/passive Exchange 2003 cluster on Windows Server 2003, all fully service packed up which so far has been backing up just fine. I have 3 storage groups with several mailbox stores in each. I take a full backup on Friday night and Mon-Thu are incremental. Just recently, the backup jobs for the information stores is failing on one particular storage group. The backup exec 10.d error states: e000030c - Exchange failed to return any log files when backing up the database. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-780 But the V-79....

backup tool problem
backup tool, it never appears on the menu of Outlook 2003 Add it manually; Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options-> button COM Add-ins... and browse to; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Offfice11\Addins\outbak.dll -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "s" <sachin.walawalkar@dttin.com> wrote in message news:efogwOBZEHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > backup tool, it never appears on the menu of Outlook 2003 > > ...

Importing backup messages .mbx
This is to the same issue, what program uses .mbx files in Windows? I can't seem to find searchable information or support from the Microsoft Support page on this, and the files are located on a microsoft\identity folder. its gotta be some outlook version. The laptop where the files were pulled is gone, and I have no .pst files or .wab, I just have inbox,outbox,sent items.. all .mbx. How do I import these files to outlook? its over 120mb each file. Please help me.. thanks Jose Open Outlook Express, Click File, Import, Messages, OUTLOOK EXPRESS 4, next, browse to the MBX f...

backup
Hi......... m running this code for backing up and to have backup log backup database adventureworks to disk = 'g:radvent6.bak' mirror to disk='g:radvent7.bak' with format,checksum,stop_on_error use adventureworks insert into HumanResources.department (name,groupname)values('dreee','reserch') backup log adventureworks to disk='g:radvent6.trn' after the backup log command executes shows the error as The statement BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the recovery model is SIMPLE. Use BACKUP DATABASE or change the rec...

Microsoft Exchange options missing from the windows backup utility
Im trying to use ntbackup installed in serverA (windows 2003) to backup a exchange server in serverB (windows 2003 SP1) A Exchange Servers Folder doesnt appear in ntbackup, then I have Exchange System Manager in serverA installed but still..the Exchange Servers Folder doesn't appear. some idea ? does the account you're logged on with have sufficient Exchange permissions? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Alexander Wolff" <AlexanderWolff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7FFD6EA-10CA-42C2-9A46-92EED4FA16E2@microsoft.com... > Im trying to use ntbackup i...

Backup Exec 9.1. Where is public folder backup located?
Hi All, Using BackUp Exec 9.1 SP1 on an SBS2k Server. I was reviewing my backup selections in a new installation of BE and noticed that under the selection "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders" I only see "Internet Newsgroups." Where is my public calendar? But I see the "Public Folder Store" under "Microsoft Information Store" > "First Storage Group". In addition, I also see the "Mailbox Store" under the same group of "Microsoft Information Store" > "First Storage Group". Is this by design? Has it always be...

Problem with LPBYTE lpBuffer - I always get the variable error
Hello all! I've got a problem with the variable LPBYTE lpBuffer - Debug watch reports me that this variable has a bad ptr. Then it's the cause that I'm not able to get success with loading my file which I need to see in my dialog's edit-box. This is the problem part of my code: __________________________________________________________________________ HANDLE hFile; DWORD dwSize; DWORD dw; LPBYTE lpBuffer = NULL; lstrcpy(szSoubor, TEXT("\\temp\\test.txt")); hFile = CreateFile(szSoubor, GENERIC_READ, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, 0, NULL); if(hFile == INVALID_HANDLE...

backups?
I dont understand what is going on. I just installed a another Exchange server in the same site, due to the 16GB limitation. Everything is running fine except that my transaction logs are not getting deleted (commited) I dont understand why not. My backup runs everynight (Full), I am using Backup Exec. I am wondering what is wrong. G. Just Another Admin wrote: > I dont understand what is going on. I just installed a another > Exchange server in the same site, due to the 16GB limitation. > Everything is running fine except that my transaction logs are not > getting deleted (com...

E2K3, Recovery Storage Group and BrightStor ArcServe Backup 11
Hi all. I'm sorry for a littlt cind of offtopic but I couldn't find any information from CA knowledge base. So I have a short question. Does anybody know if BrightStor ArcServe Release 11 (and it's Agent for Exchange) supports "Recovery Storage Group" option of Exchange 2003 ? I tried to make a test restore using Recovery Storage Group in my Testlab. After adding Recovery Storage Group om E2K3 server and configuring it I see this storage group in ArcServe's sources in backup job. But when I'm trying to restore the mailbox store backed up beforehand, I can't...