Backup always

How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save,
it will 'Always Create Backups'.  That is,  want the default behavior for
Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to
have to check every file before saving, please.  (Used to be able to do
this:~(
0
Sullivan (7)
6/28/2005 5:31:03 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could try something like this, Michael:
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=456
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Michael Sullivan" <Michael Sullivan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:07C5980A-299C-4897-9D10-E1A31867F261@microsoft.com...
> How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and
save,
> it will 'Always Create Backups'.  That is,  want the default behavior for
> Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want
> have to check every file before saving, please.  (Used to be able to do
> this:~(

0
ng1 (1444)
6/28/2005 5:39:30 PM
Copied from help file ...

Save a backup copy of a workbook
On the File menu, click Save As.
On the Tools menu, click General Options.
Select the Always create backup check box.
Click OK, and then click Save.

"Michael Sullivan" wrote:

> How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save,
> it will 'Always Create Backups'.  That is,  want the default behavior for
> Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to
> have to check every file before saving, please.  (Used to be able to do
> this:~(
0
bigwheel926 (227)
6/28/2005 9:19:03 PM
If you want to make the default for new workbooks have that option checked, you
can create a new workbook and fix every setting that you want--including this
one.

Save the workbook in your XLStart folder and name it book.xlt.

If you want to find out where that folder is:

Open excel
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-g  to see the immediate window.
type this and hit enter:
?application.StartupPath

For me (winXP and xl2003), I get:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

If you want to really intercept the save of every workbook--not just the new
ones created using that book.xlt as the template, you're gonna need a workbook
that is always open when you open excel.

Then you can build an application event that looks for the user doing a save.

Start a new workbook
hit alt-f11 to see the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer (like windows explorer)

Find your workbook's name and select it.
hit the asterisk on the numeric keypad to expand all the "components" of the
project.

Look for ThisWorkbook and double click on it.
This is where the the workbook_beforeclose and workbook_open procedure would go.

Paste this into the code window:

Option Explicit
Public WithEvents xlApp As Excel.Application
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Set xlApp = Application
End Sub
Private Sub Workbook_Close()
    Set xlApp = Nothing
End Sub
Private Sub xlApp_WorkbookBeforeSave(ByVal Wb As Workbook, _
                ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)

    Dim myFileName As Variant
    Dim testStr As String
    Dim resp As Long

    myFileName = Wb.FullName

    If SaveAsUI Then
        myFileName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename _
                        (InitialFileName:=Wb.FullName, _
                        filefilter:="Excel file, *.xls")
        If myFileName = False Then
            Cancel = True
            Exit Sub
        Else
            testStr = ""
            On Error Resume Next
            testStr = Dir(myFileName)
            On Error GoTo 0

            resp = vbYes
            If testStr = "" Then
                'do nothing
            Else
                resp = MsgBox(Prompt:="Overwrite Existing File?", _
                            Buttons:=vbYesNo)
                If resp = vbNo Then
                    Cancel = True
                    Exit Sub
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End If

    'do the actual save
    With Application
        .StatusBar = "Saving " & myFileName
        .DisplayAlerts = False
        .EnableEvents = False
    End With

    On Error Resume Next
    Wb.SaveAs myFileName, FileFormat:=xlWorkbookNormal, CreateBackup:=True
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        MsgBox "Something went wrong.  File not saved" & vbLf _
            & Err.Number & "--" & Err.Description
        Err.Clear
    Else
        MsgBox "Saved as an xl workbook as: " & myFileName
    End If
    With Application
        .StatusBar = False
        .DisplayAlerts = True
        .EnableEvents = True
    End With

    Cancel = True 'we did the work, don't let excel do it again.

End Sub

============

I would save this as an addin--so I could turn it off when I don't want it (more
on that later).

File|SaveAs|choose "microsoft Office Add-In (*.xla)" from the "save as type:"
box.

You can save it into the addin folder that excel suggests/defaults to.

Now close excel (just to start fresh).

And reopen it.

Tools|Addins|and check that addin you just created.

=========
If you look at the code, you see that it only supports saving *.xls files with
this line:

    Wb.SaveAs myFileName, FileFormat:=xlWorkbookNormal, CreateBackup:=True

You could lots of coding to make sure you support other fileformats--or take the
lazy way out.

If you need to save a file as .prn, .csv, .whateverelseyouwant, just turn off
the addin, save the file and turn the addin back on (if you want).

Tools|Addins
and toggle to your heart's content.

=========

You can read a lot more about application events at Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/AppEvent.htm

--

Dave Peterson
0

fail to do Backup
hi, I have my exchange server not completing the NTbackup. I am suspecting two resons causing that problem: 1- hardware failure with one hardisk out of 4 hardisks (RAID5). 2- an incedent occured to one user that he cannot recieve e-mails due to corruption in the mailbox.. in that case I have exported all the existing e-mails, deleted the mailbox and then created it again. I am recieving errors 747 and 217, and the backup is not working what to do in this case. please help -- Zuhair Attya IT Administrator Bahrain On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:55:02 -0800, Zuhair Attya <ZuhairAttya@discussion...

Norton Ghost Image HQ Server then backup database file daily fine?
Would ghosting the hard drive image of our Windows 2003 HQ server once to an external storage space then daily backing up the HQ database file with a batch file + task scheduler be sufficient for backup purposes? Nothing is ever installed or changed on the server except the HQ database file I believe? And perhaps some windows security updates but that can always be re-downloaded. Matt, If you are speaking of Windows 2003 Server, Ghost will not work. Use LiveState Recovery from Symantec instead. Ghost only works with XP and W2K We use a batch file to backup the database and Ghost to ba...

Restore files from backup
Kewel!! I just downloaded the backup add-on for Outlook. I'm using it to back up all my personal folders, contacts, etc. on a regular basis. I back everything up from my desktop to my portable hard drive. What I'd like to know is...how do I restore that stuff so the Outlook in my laptop is up-to-date with all that info? I know the long way - by going into local settings/app data etc. and dragging the outlook.pst to the appropriate folder. But is there a way to do this within Outlook? I am usinging Outlook 2003 with Win XP. Thanks in advance! Mary Mary Ellroy wrote: > Kewel!...

English version of WMP11 always starts in Japanese!
Hello, I use a Sony Vaio with Japanese OS [XP SP3], since I live in Japan, but I prefer to use WMP11 in English. But after downloading the English version, it automatically starts in Japanese. The version is 11.0.5721.5268. Perhaps I can change some setting on my pc in order to get WMP to start in English? Any help greatly apprectiated! ...

Backup of Exchange 5.5 hangs every Monday.
I have asked this question before and have not had any luck in getting an answer. I am backing up my Exchange Mailboxes using Veritas. Every Monday the backup hangs. It seems to hang longer and longer as time goes on. Now it is interfering with the ability to backup the next day. I am using Veritas' Exchange backup "Full Database and logs (flush committed logs)". Please help! Delete the Monday job, edit the Tuesday job and create a new Monday job with the same options. See if that fixes it - could be a corrupt job. "David Langschied" <DavidLangschied@disc...

"no files set for backup" in Outlook 2003 Personal Folder Backup
Windows Vista32, Office 2003 Professional, PST Backup working until 9/15/09, set for automatic backup every 7 days. Just discovered not working. Selected File/Backup, received "(no files set for backup)" and "No personal folders files are currently open", Addins shows installed and selected. I have two different .pst files in correct location. Used to be able to select both to be backed up. Backup stopped working and I did not notice it. Uninstalled/downloaded new version (v11.0.6024.0 dated 10/24/03)/restarted/installed. No change. Reset addins registry...

Excel Calculator always requires an = before a math function, can be turned off setting?
I often use excel as a fancy calculator. But often I forget to start the calculator with the = sign. So if I want to add 44 + 66, I forget to type in an = sign first, an it gives me an error message. Is there a setting to turn that off, so I can type in 44 + 66 and it gives me an answer. I always have Excel running and it's also my calculator. I never use use a calculator anymore! The answer to your question is no. The equal sign tells Excel that you're entering a formula that needs to be calculated. You can use a plus sign (+) instead of the equal sign (=) if you alwa...

Import from backup
I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and retrieving emails from a backup. (I burnt the outlook.pst to CD) After copying the outlook.pst file to the hard drive, I get a message saying that the outlook.pst file is not a personal folders file. Any idea how I can get my emails back? Thanks in advance Michael Remove the read only attribute the PST acquired while on the CD. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1836e01c44acd$84286f10$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and retrieving ema...

Outlook email password always requested
I use MS Outlook 2002 SP3 in Vista. The email password is asked for every time. Is there a fix for this? James A known issue - see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, James Truelove asked: | I use MS Outlook 2002 SP3 in Vista. The email password is asked for | every time. Is there a fix for this? | James "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <What@ever> wr...

Restoring files from backup
I lost all programs and files last week when my PC failed. I have reinstalled most software including Microsoft Money Standard 2001. All data has been backed up periodically on a floppy. Can someone tell me how to restore the data from the floppy to MS Money on the PC? I am very concerned about the possibilty of losing the data so I do not want to make an error in restoring the data. First, take a copy of the backups. To restore, just use the File->Restore option on the menu. This should be all you need to do to recreate the file. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money...

Script to backup all groups to tape now
Anyone have a powershell script that will backup all protection groups that have long term protection configured immediatly (and save for ## months)? Thanks This is scriptable, but backing up multiple protection group data sources to a single tape is not supported. Please try UI to do adhoc backup and see if it meets your requirements then you can use the powershell commandlets to automate the same behavior. -- Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. DPM Newsgroup will be deprecated very soon. Please st...

SBS Backup problem
Hi, I have a customer box - SBS2003. The overnight backup is just failing, the logs say nothing. A manual backup works fine. The entry in the log is below: "11/02/2010 23:30 ------------------------------- Date: 11/02/2010 Time: 23:30 User: SYSTEM ------------------------------- Backup Runner started. Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup created on 11/02/2010 at 23:30" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Small Busines...

Why IE 8 always autometic log me out?
For any e-mail, forum, facebook... I have selected "remeber login & password" when it ask me. but it will always autometic log out whatever I am using the page It will call me "Please log in".... Is it any setting I need to set it up? Thanks! Hi, All web sites 'timeout' eventually and require you to re-establish your credentials... (usually 30 mins). You aren't actually connected to web sites... Information is passed in 'packets' that are sent and received between your computer (the client) and the web site computer (the web serve...

Backup Address Book -- Location of file?
I need to be able to backup the Address Book for Outlook and Outlook Express. Where are they? What are the file(s) names so I can locate them and set them up for backup? (Help and Knowledge Base are no help). Thank you, --Kathy In Outlook, the file you need to back up is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer a...

Outlook personal folder backup utility no longer works!
It seems that my Microsofy outlook personal folder backup utility no longer works after I updated from Office XP to Office 2003. Is it possible that it is because the .PST file has changed from ANSI to UNICODE? What about all of my Office XP archive .pst files... Can I open them in outlook 2003? Thanks, Rich There is a post on the MS site that talks about ensuring that you have the right level of the backup utility (2003 version). ..pst files can indeed be opened by Outlook 2003. I would be in deep doodoo if it couldn't. Do you know where I might find that posting? Thanks, ...

Excel 2007 Paste Values-Text Only (Always)
In Excel 2003 it was possible to customize the Paste Values button and select "Text Only (Always)". Once customized, the button appeared as "Paste Values" (P underlined) in the toolbar window. Used in conjuntion with Ctrl-C, this functioned as a shortcut key (Alt-P) saving much time and without having to utilizing the mouse. Is there a corresponding approach in Excel 2007 to 'customize' the Paste Values button and replicate the "Text Only (Always)" function? Thanx! You can add a button to 'Quick Access Tool Bar' (above or below) th...

Restore one user's mail from a backup
Hi (exc2003 and xpr pro) I have a HP ProLiant ML370 G4 server with a tape drive on which we backup. There is a strong possibility that one user lost all her mails. My MDBDATA folder is 22.6GB. is it possible that i can restore her mailbox from yesterdays backup and will it take very long.... Will it effect the rest of my exchange runing? pls help me? In news:uCfAvSq9GHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, Express <expressremovethis@tourismcapetown.co.za> typed: > Hi (exc2003 and xpr pro) > > I have a HP ProLiant ML370 G4 server with a tape drive on which we > backup. There ...

Using backup exec and CRM
do catalog files under program files\Microsoft crm\help\catalog.wci\ciclooo1.000 and other similar names need to be backed up? ...

Corrupt message in deleted mailbox causing backup to report as fai
Hi, BackupExec is reporting that the backup job has failed because it comes across a corrupt message in a mailbox (which has been deleted). The mailbox in question was migrated using the migration wizard from one exch 2k3 organisation to another. But when migrating, this mailbox exceeded the user's quota, so had to purge the mailbox and re-migrate. Backup is reporting a message similar to "found a corrupt message in '[][][][][][][][][][][][]meeting up' in mailbox (user) at the top of information store". Backup seems successful besides this error. The server does...

SelectSingleNode always selects same node when looping through
Dear All, I am repeatedly encountering a problem whilst looping through XML Nodes and I am unsure as to what is going on and how I can get around it. I load the following XML document into an XmlDocument object using LoadXml: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Templates> <Template Filename="NON.RTN.FORMA3.xml"> <SQLCommand>SELECT Addresses.Address_Line1, Addresses.Address_Line2, Addresses.Address_Line3, Addresses.Address_Line4, FROM Addresses</SQLCommand> </Template> <Template Filename="ERChild.NON.RTN.xml"...

How do I set publisher 2003 to always open in 100% view?
I need to set publisher 2003 to open all files with the same view and zoom size. It's frustrating having to enlarge each time I open a file. Currently all files open at the default view of 75%. Also would love to know how to get pulisher to show me the page number box at the bottom of the screen - it has disappeared. F9 will zoom to 100% Then there is this from Ed Bennett Default Zoom Add-in v1.0---Scroll down. http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/add-ins -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2005...

Backup Problem (Money 2005)
I hope someone out there has some ideas as I really don't want to lose 3 years of my Money transactions. Yesterday I reformatted my computer. Before I did, I opened Money 2005, saved the "MyMoney.mny" file and also created a backup file. I saved both of these files onto a DVD and went ahead with the reformat. After I was done I installed Money 2005, got the update, and everything seems to work until I try to open the "Mymoney.mny" or restore the backup files I backed up. Money opens the files without error, and I see a popup for a split second with a progress bar ...

Always redirected to random ad sites after search..
I have just recently installed ie8. Suddenly after doing a google or yahoo search, and getting the desired result, I click on the link only to be immediately whisked to some random advertising site! WHAT THE? This happens every single time and it's terribly frustrating. I don't know what this is. How do I stop it? Thanks in advance for your help. Nothing to do with IE 8. Remove the malware that has infected your computer. --- Leonard Grey Errare humanum est insomniac_arts wrote: > I have just recently installed ie8. Suddenly after doing a google or yahoo > sear...

Icon in Attachments Column does not always show up
We've seen some cases where a message with an attachment does not have the paper clip icon in the attachments column in the table view. It's in Outlook 2000 and 2002. ...

Outlook 2003: Follow Up menu is always disabled! cannot flag messages.
Hi, I have a strange problem but first of all this is my setting: I have a PC :O running Windows XP Professional SP1. I am using Office 2003 SP1. My default mail client is Outlook 2003 (and not Outlook Express!). With it I have my Hotmail accounts (HTTP service) which I read with OL2003. My Inbox is in Table View. Now the problem.... at least some months ago (at least before Office SP1 was applied) I was able to flag messages for follow up. I still have some of those messages with a red flag in the For Follow Up favorites. Unfortunately now it is totally impossible to flag messages for fo...