Average Help, v. 2.0

Thanks again for the help on my previous question. Now, using the same
beginning format, I'd like to know how to figure out what the average
for the remaining values needs to be to reach 5.

ex. Starting with 7 different values from A1 thru A7, what would the
values of A8 thru A10 have to be to reach an overall average of 5?
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Matthew!

answer:
assuming your values are in A1:A10

  =(5*(count(A1:A7)+3)-sum(A1:A7))/3

explaination:

The first Problem is, that you need a specific sum
to get an specific average:

count of all values x 5 = searched sum   (10*5=50)
you have 7 values: 7 x 5 = 35
You search 3 values: 3 x 5 = 15
sum to reach : (7x5)+(3x5)=15+35=50

assuming the sum of your existing 7 values are 32....
50-32=18,
dividing the Rest (18) by 3 (your cells)
18 / 3 = 6  .

Greets
Chris

Matthew Dyer schrieb:
> Thanks again for the help on my previous question. Now, using the same
> beginning format, I'd like to know how to figure out what the average
> for the remaining values needs to be to reach 5.
>
> ex. Starting with 7 different values from A1 thru A7, what would the
> values of A8 thru A10 have to be to reach an overall average of 5?

0
wolframcu (7)

Averaging numbers but ignoring < and
I have a column of data as illustrated below than contains numbers, blank cells, dashes and < entries. Is it possible to average only the numbers ensuring that the divsor is the number of cells that contain number entreis rather than all cells containing an entry (eg for below example answer should be 0.137) 0.3 <0.001 0.01 <0.01 0.1 Thank you On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:29:03 -0800, KIM <KIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a column of data as illustrated below than contains numbers, blank >cells, dashes and < entries. Is it possible to average only ...

Newsgroup #2
I have outlook 2003. How do I set up a newsgroup using outlook? Thanks, Alice In OE... outlook doesn't have it's own newsreader, it uses OE. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM "Alice"...

CRM 1.2 Network Bandwidth usage
Does Microsoft already have a whitepaper for this? I know this was posted before, but was there a detailed explaination or a chart-form detailing the usage? On what structure or term or technology can CRM 1.2 run (acceptable) other than in an intranet? Can you please expound? Thanks :) For remote access I believe most customers will opt for a vpn solution so users in remote locations will open a vpn tunnel across the internet then launch crm as before. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "isalgado" <ian.salgado_remove_this_@gisimplement.com&g...

need advanced Outlook rules help please
Hello. I need an Outlook rule that looks for two phrases in the body of a message. I enter the first phrase to look for and then add the second phrase, it adds it as an OR statement instead of an AND statement. Is it possible to do this? So it looks for "thistext" AND "thistext"??? Second question: Is it possible (in a rule) to look for a phrase using a wildcard like an asterisk? For instance, a rule that looks for "FIRST NAME: M*" in an emailed form?? Thanks Cheryl Larson <cherylL@invalid.work.com> wrote: > Hello. I need an Outlook rul...

[Beta 2] Envelope icon
Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format. ------=_NextPart_000_0026_01CB3E86.2FA0FAD0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0027_01CB3E86.2FA121E0" ------=_NextPart_001_0027_01CB3E86.2FA121E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I've set up my Hotmail account to download only the headers. When I choose to have the reading pane on the ride side, all the = envelope icons of the messages (also non downloaded) are whole instead = of a torn envelope. If the read...

Dropdowns #2
My wife's school is mandating that they put test scores in a spreadsheet to admin can print out the entire sheet. I want to add a worksheet that will use a dropdown to list the student's names from Col A, and then populate the rest of this worksheet with the specifics from the Student's ROW. My question is how to get the values into the dropdown... I assume it will be a validtation using something like VLOOKUP, but once VLOOKUP has validated the drop down, how can I populate the rest of the sheet? Thanks Carl Hi Carl i would use Data / Validation to get the values into t...

Publisher cannot complete the operation #2
I have Publisher 2000 installed on my computer and recently I downloaded version 2007 to try. Now when I open up Publisher 2000 and try to open templates for the project/s that I am interested in doing the template that I pick downloads half way and then a message pops up telling me that "Publisher cannot complete the operation". Can someone please tell me what I should do to fix the problem? From where are you trying to download the template? Is it a program template or do you go online? Is 2007 still on your computer? Can you accept the ActiveX control? Downloading clips, ...

Help on Dlookup
Hi, I am using the dlookup script in the forms and encountered a complication. Can anyone help on how I can separate lines, i.e. [Address] [postcode] [city] [country] The only thing I get is [Address] [postcode] [city] [country] I can put separators/ text in between but can seem to get it into various lines. Thanks. Rgds Tatt TaTT CHUA wrote: > Hi, > > I am using the dlookup script in the forms and encountered a > complication. > > Can anyone help on how I can separate lines, i.e. > [Address] > [postcode] > [city] > [country] > > The only thing I get...

help me #5
please help me i cant like sing up in my outlook i try to do all but it no let me sing in my e mail is havasu-guy@npg.com tell me plase how i can sing in In news:3690606B-91E4-4200-901A-F4ABB521E1A8@microsoft.com, igor <igor@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > please help me i cant like sing up in my outlook i try to do all but > it no let me sing in my e mail is havasu- > tell me plase how i can sing in See reply to your other post. ...

Average of Averages
Another seemingly simple process which I can't figure. :) I have a list of averages, and I want to get the average of them. As such, A 1 25% 2 42% 3 100% 4 50% I need a formula to average something like the above. Thanks, Alan =AVERAGE(A1:A4) is one possible solution. Hope it helps. -- goober ------------------------------------------------------------------------ goober's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19838 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513937 Hi Alan It really depen...

SBS 2k and Exchange 2k Help
Hi All I'm having a problem with Exhange 2000. I support an office of about 5 people, and they are running SBS2000 with Exchange 2000, during the past couple of days they haven't been able to send/receive e-mail, and they haven't been able to browse the internet. I initially thought the server was being used for Relaying, however the queues are not very high (about 14 e-mails) and the Telnet tests suggest it can't be used for relaying. When I got there last night the server was fine and after a quick re-boot I sent numerous e-mails to my home account which I received, and I...

averaging less than values
How do I average a column of numbers where less than values are calculated as that number? 2 <2 3 4 <2 5 In the average I want the<2 to = 2. So the answer should be 3 -- JD Assuming source data as posted in A2:A7 Paste this in say, B2, then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to array-enter the formula: =AVERAGE(SUBSTITUTE(A2:A7,"<","")+0) Adapt the ranges to suit -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:17,500 Files:358 Subscribers:55 xdemechanik --- "JD" wrote: > How do I average ...

xla #2
What is an xla file? What is it used for? ...

direct upgrade from RMS 2.0 to POS 2009
Is there an upgrade path from RMS 2.0 to POS 2009? I've tried to restore an RMS database to POS 2009 and the import wizard bombs out with an error. What other choices are there? ...

help with error
Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x80070057) : 'Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.' I removed the outlook profile and recreated it to try and fix this problem but it did not work Please help ...

Form Help 01-18-08
I have a form creating that lists a product code and a product description. When entering data into this form I have people scan a product code. Is there a way to set up a trigger that will notify me if the product code listed on the form originally and the scanned product code do not match? You need to add your own code to the BeforeUpdate event of the control or the form. I haven't worked with scanners so I don't know if scanner input will trigger the BeforeUpdate event of the control so if that doesn't work, use the form level event. You can then cancel the update if ...

no Help in Windows XP
When I go to Start and click on "Help and Support" - nothing happens. How can I activate this feature without reinstalling Windows XP? Ron Patterson wrote: > When I go to Start and click on "Help and Support" - nothing happens. How > can I activate this feature without reinstalling Windows XP? Is the Help and Support service running? Enter SERVICES.MSC in the Start menu Run box and verify the status of the service. This services should be set to Automatic start. John Thanks John, It says Started - Automatic - Local System - seems lik...

Help with automating file name
I have the following code that exports the below query to excell. I would like the files name to include the month and date. How would I format this? DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, "qryShopOrderSqFtShippedSummaryExport",_ acFormatXLS, "W:\Cokato\Production\ProdRoomRpt.xls" -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200708/1 Hi, Matt. > I would > like the files name to include the month and date. Uh, . . . the date _always_ includes the month, unless you're r...

Separating data #2
I am trying to take 2 rows in Excel and put them into 1 row, spreadin across 3 columns. For example: Currently looks like this: column A row 1: Watch row 2: $5.00 July 10th I would like to make it look like this: column A column B column C row 1: Watch $5.00 July 10th Thanks in advance, Da -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following formulas on your second sheet A1: =OFFSET('sheet1'!$A$1,(ROW()-1)*2,0) B1: =OFFSET('sheet1'!$A$2,(ROW()-1)*2,COLUMN()-2) and copy to the right afterwards ...

Help file javascript link
I have a issue here, when you open excel without assistant and you browse around the help file, you will see a word that is underlined that will give you a javascript describtion about that word. My excel help box doesn't do that, is there a way to click on that link and it will show you a java box of what that word means? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Database help???
Hello, I purchased a disc that has name,addresses ect on it. The format that it is in is pdf. I can get it in excel and save it as a worksheet, I was told that I could pull out names using the codes that were provided but how do I do this? Thank you Mare What do you mean by "pull out names"? What is "codes that were provided"? Was it provided with the PDF? Perhaps you want to send letters. In that case, use Mail merge from Word. http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm#MailMerge ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "M...

Anyone who can help my fried mind with this solution?
Dear all, I am writing code about custom sorting tecniques. This code will appear in my upcoming book. I explain two ways: one by using the switch function and the other by using a lookup table. Although both solutions work as they are supposed to, with respect to the sorting criterion (state), the records WITHIN each state do not appear in the same exact order. I am fried to think anymore at this point. I wrote too much code. This is the custom sorting order using switch SELECT * FROM Qry_Conditions WHERE STATE in ("NY","CA","TX") ...

Averages
Hello again, I have an interesting situation. I basically inherited an older database that is used to enter dates, usage and charges for accounts. The situation is that we are attempting to do averages filtered by account, and averaged against the number of days that data has been entered. So, for example, we had 7 months of data entered, our query should total the number of days in the seven months (x), then average that with the total usage number (y). This data currently resides in the same table labeled "data" in the form of from and to dates (6/1/1999 to 7/1/1999) and usage (32...

Outlook Archiving Problem #2
Outlook will ask me if I want to Archive, I hit ok. Mine in set to archive items 6mos old. Nothing shows up in my archived folder list. Help. I am the main email address for our company, my inbox is huge. Beth Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to determine whether or not an item is ready to be AutoArchived, and a simple action such as moving the item to another folder can change the Modified date. More information and a list of actions that change the Modified date can be found here: http:...

Merging worksheets with VBA Code -- HELP!
Hello I need help with using a VBA code to merge data from a range of worksheets in a workbook. I have several worksheets that are formatted the same except they may have a different amount of rows of data on each spreadsheet and they are named for each of my employees. When I run the Macro, it is giving me all of the details, columns and rows from the 1st sheet only, Sonia G then it only gives me the information in colums A, B, C, E, F, G, I from the other work sheets. However, all of the worksheets have information in columns A thru AA. I used the following code for a Summary She...