Automatically copy cell above

Does anyone know how to automatically copy cell above the current cell?
 I have a long list of employees with account numbers.  However, I want
to only include employees with 6-xxxxx account numbers.  Having blank
cells on some of rows with account numbers, I may pull 6-xxxxx account
numbers without names after sorting the cells by account numbers.

Here is how my spreadsheet looks like:

ABDULLAH,MALIK	6-63027-1200
ABROKWA,JOE	2-11932-1100
	                2-11932-2000
	                2-11987-1010
 	                2-11987-2000
ACTON,LATOYA	6-63027-1200
ACTON,LYNETTE	2-24001-1400
	                6-63027-1200

You see Lynette Acton has 2-xxxxx and 6-xxxxx account numbers.  I want
to pull only the 6-xxxxx account number.

Thanks so much!

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Debra Dalgleish does:
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Debra Dalgleish does:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html
>
> Ellis wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to automatically copy cell above the current cell?
> >  I have a long list of employees with account numbers.  However, I want
> > to only include employees with 6-xxxxx account numbers.  Having blank
> > cells on some of rows with account numbers, I may pull 6-xxxxx account
> > numbers without names after sorting the cells by account numbers.
> >
> > Here is how my spreadsheet looks like:
> >
> > ABDULLAH,MALIK  6-63027-1200
> > ABROKWA,JOE     2-11932-1100
> >                         2-11932-2000
> >                         2-11987-1010
> >                         2-11987-2000
> > ACTON,LATOYA    6-63027-1200
> > ACTON,LYNETTE   2-24001-1400
> >                         6-63027-1200
> >
> > You see Lynette Acton has 2-xxxxx and 6-xxxxx account numbers.  I want
> > to pull only the 6-xxxxx account number.
> >
> > Thanks so much!
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Format Cells #9
Is there any way to prevent text from extending into adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) Hi use 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'word wrap' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KPK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:130ec01c4434e$26cd8610$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to prevent text from extending into > adjacent blank cells? (as the default setting) We actually do not want the text to wrap, we just want it to truncate. Thanks, Kieran >-----Original Message----- >Hi >use &#...

Need Help With Copying Relative Formula
ello and thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction. I am running Excel 2003 on a Windows 2000 machine. I have 2 sheets in one workbook. sheet 1 is data input sheet 2 is summary I want to put this into summary ......A...........................B..........................C 1...='data input'B1........='data input'B2......='data input'B3 2....='data input'E1.......='data input'E2.......='data input'E3 I have about 100 rows each of about 10 columns that I wish to do this with. I know I can do it the long way by hand b...

Automatic CC

copy&paste problem
good lord, after 7 years of using MS Pub 2000, today it will not copy and paste between pub documents. i can open a new pub blank, draw a text box, type some text, copy that text, open another new pub blank, draw a text box, and it will not paste the copied text into the new doc. it won't copy objects, pictures, old stuff, new stuff, nada. i was going to restore with my office 2000 cd, but it said it was service pack 1, and i knew we've been on service pack 2 for quite a while. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, pam What happens when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP ...

Automatic axis format

2003 & 2007 Differences in Locking Cells Syntax
The code below runs fine in Excel 2007, but 2003 does not like it. I`m not sure why. It gives me a runtime error and says it is unable to set the Locked property of the range class. I tried commenting out the first line (WS.Cells.Locked = False) and changing the second statement to" WS.Range(Cells(row,col),Cells(row,col)).Locked = True However, this did not help. Does anyone see what I am doing wrong? Thanks, Alan Sub DisableCellInput(WS As Worksheet, row As Long, col As Long) ' ' This subroutine locks and greys out the cell ' WS.Cells.Locked = ...

Find cell contents in range
Hi, i am really struggling to create a macro to carry out the following. ( i am quite new to this and presently using a book but things are explained fully!) lets say cell K12 = 2245 i have a range of A2:A50 containing a list between 2220 & 2270 i need my macro to look at the value of K12. Find that value in range, and make the cell with that value active so in my list between 2220 & 2270 is an activecell where the value is 2245 i hope this can be done and hope that someone can help me. Regards, Nigel With Worksheets(1).Range("A2:A50") Set cell = .Find(Range(&quo...

Selecting cell with mouse
Hi, Excel 2000 I have a spreadsheet that allows me to move to cells locked or unlocked with the cursor but doesn't allow me to use the mouse. I'd thought that the range of what could be selected had been restricted using vba but this isn't the case, I've opened the file and disabled vba and still can't select the unlocked cells with the mouse. If I unprotect the worksheet, then all works as expected. I'm at a loss! Any pointed most welcome. Rob I've never seen excel allow you to select a cell with the arrow keys, but not the mouse. My first thought w...

shortcut to go to previous location or cell
Is there a shortcut to take me back to the previous location (cell) that I was in? If there was an action done in the previous cell, then perhaps ... click Undo? (At the expense of undoing, of course, and subject to the default max number of undo's) Hang around awhile for better answers .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Jan" <Jan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E64990D6-F0EF-41AB-BA8C-78DDEE99F764@microsoft.com... > Is there a shortcut to take me back to the previous location (cell) that I &g...

Automatic Forward
How can I automatically forward messages received from a specific sender to another's e-mail person? Thanks, ...

Determine if a linked cell contains data
Using vba I'd like to change the formatting/colours on a particular cell if the cell contains text. So for example: If Application.WorksheetFunction.IsText(Cells(i, ColNum)) Then Cells(i, ColNum).Font.Bold = True Cells(i, ColNum).Interior.ColorIndex = 40 End If This works fine for cells which do contain text but not for cells which contain 'linked text'. I have some cells which are linked from a 2nd sheet and in the 2nd sheet they contain text. The code above does not work because there the cell contains ='Sheet2'!B93 How can I get ...

CE6: How to Disable SIP popup automatically
Hi, I know SIP popup can be disabled by the following registry setting in CE5: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] "TurnOffAutoDeploy"=dword:1 But It doesn't work in CE6. How to disable SIP auto-Popup in CE6? Thanks. Eric The SIP Auto Deploy in CE is due to Windows Controls invoke SHSipPreference (exported by AYGSHELL.DLL). So the easiest way is to avoid including AGYSHELL (SYSGEN_AYGSHELL) But if excluding AYGSHELL is not an option, you may need to modify the SHSipPreference (PRIVATE\SHELL\SHELLPSL\HAVEAYGSHELL\shellpsl.cpp) to supress SIP s...

Automatic Database Backup
Is it possible to right code to automatically backup a database? And if so how, or where, can I get information on this? Hi There are a few way to do this. I have windows scheuler doing this on all my databases (at 1 min past midnight each day). Open Scheduled Tasks (it's in the control panel). It's very simple and not likely to go wrong -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Ayo" wrote: > Is it possible to right code to automatically backup a database? And if so > how, or where, can I get information on this? Thanks Wayne. So I take it that, there is no way t...

Automatically format charts with range of dates
What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from another spreadsheet. They are basically week totals for my business and make a chart compared to say last year. What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter the new data in and change. Instead of having to go into the chart data and changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to reflect the ...

automatic output from known data
i have 2 spreadsheets of data: 1=english, 2=metric each spreadsheet has 3 columns, with the first column being an ID #. on my output spreadsheet i have 4 blanks. in blank 1 i enter a "1" or "2" for english/metric in blank 2 i enter the ID # i want blanks 3 and 4 to automatically be filled with the other tw numbers from the id#'s row. DATA WORKSHEETS english 1 123.8 9.8 2 122.7 10.3 ... metric 1 1983 9.8 2 1965 10.3 ... OUTPUT WORKSHEET blank 1 = english <----- manual blank 2 = 1 <----- manual blank 3 = 123.8 <---- automatic blank 4 = 9.8 <---- automati ...

Insert date automatically
I have a column with values such as: 3/25 3/24 3/29 3/21 3/21 3/21 And wish to automatically add todays date if the value of the cell is blank in the mm/dd format. I have used an =If(Column:Column="",TODAY()) in a column next to it and formatted it in mm/dd to get the desired result. But how can I take this value (todays date) and insert it back into the original column automatically and without changing the other valuse? As always thank you! Rick Hi, Rick: Here's one way. Step 1 is to make a backup of your original file so you have a fallback in case something goes ...

Copy setup tables and changing functional currency
I have a Company database named PRIMARY where the Default currency is USD. The Company has 8 other currencies. I have a brand new Company database named SECONDARY and I want the Default currency to be VEB and not USD. I have read tech articles 872709 and 874208 on using DTS to get the setup data over to the new Company database. This is a 7.5 version of GP. I seem to have an issue with database triggers on the SECONDARY Company database after the DTS. Has anybody been through the process of creating a new Company database along with DTS of the setup tables and changed the functional cu...