Autofit Row & Merged Cells

Is this just me or is it a common problem:

I have some text in a cell. The cell is merged along a row with the adjacent
cells, I have put word wrap on. Now Autofit Row doesn't work and only shows
the first line of text.

Is there anything I can do, apart for manually adjust the row height?

Regards

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Take a look at this macro by Jim Rech:

    http://google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

If you need help getting started with macros, look at David
McRitchie's Getting Started with Macros page:

In article <ujT049jjDHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
 "Alex Burman" <burmanalex@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is this just me or is it a common problem:
>
> I have some text in a cell. The cell is merged along a row with the adjacent
> cells, I have put word wrap on. Now Autofit Row doesn't work and only shows
> the first line of text.
>
> Is there anything I can do, apart for manually adjust the row height?
>
> Regards

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Vlookup based on Active cell
Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. I looking for the reference of the vlookup to be the active cell. thanks in advance for any help on this Thomp <williamth...@gmail.com> wrote... >Is there a way to have a vlookup formual based on the data in the >active cell. I have data on one sheet that I what to pull in to a cell >on another worksheet based on the data in the active cell I click on. >I looking for the...

Insert Last Date Value in a Column into a cell
I've created a billing register for a client with the "Date of Transaction" in column A (A8:A508). At the top of the sheet, I have a cell with an "As of" date value. What I need this cell to do is read column A and find the last date entered. I've tried an array function, but it only seems to work with number values, not date values. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ~db =INDEX(A8:A508,COUNT(A8:A508)) HTH -- AP "db" <dboutote@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1146684097.135620.59730@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... &g...

Merging forms from data file to main file
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel There seems to be a bug when mail merging forms from a data file into the main file. Text entered into a text form field on a locked data file does not merge into the main file. The only text that will merge from the text form field is the default text that may be entered when configuring the text form field. <br><br>If anyone knows how to resolve this, I would be forever thankful. Otherwise... How can I report the bug? I sent feedback, but is there a specific way to report a bug? I have the latest update...

Moving Rows to Columns
I have a text file that I am importing that has information on multiple rows (each entry has three rows of data). I would move each row of data into a column. Anyone have any ideas/macros on how to do this? Dear Paul Select the row of data, Copy it, move to the cell of your choice (I would recommend on a new worksheet).Edit/Paste Special/Tick the transpose box. Hope this helps Paul Falla >-----Original Message----- >I have a text file that I am importing that has >information on multiple rows (each entry has three rows of >data). I would move each row of data into a co...

Losing Notes when merging Contacts. Bug or feature?
I am having an issue with losing Notes when merging duplicate Contact records. If I create a record with a duplicate already in the system, the de-dupe dialogue box comes up and I am asked how I want to handle it. If I merge the 2 records, both of which have at least 1 Note, I lose the Note from the record which becomes the deactivated one. Not only is the Note not merged with the active record, if you go to the deactivated record and look in its Notes, any Note that was there before is gone. On the other hand, if I merge two Account records in the same manner, Notes are merged and ...

Relate cells
Does anyone know a formula in where I have 5 columns - Point, N, E, El, Desc are the name of the column I would like a formula to take the value from a cell under the Point column and run a search for that same value for the entire Desc column. I would like the answer to be either a True or False or (1 or 0 Any help would be great C. Fillmore This is probably not the most elegant solution but it does the trick. Name the range of values in your Desc column 'Desc' and type th following formula in the cell where you want True or False to appear: =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(-Cell To Match-,Desc...

Finding the cell that is linked to a file
Quick question here. I have a file which is linked to other files. One file isn't one I own and I would rather not link to it, but I can't determine which cell is pulling data from that file. Any idea how I find that cell? I know I could use CTRL + � but that means I have to go through every cell including ones in hidden columns - is there an easier way? Thanks Simon -- kosciosco ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kosciosco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7068 View this thread: http://www.excel...

Hide formulas but not lock cells or contents
I've created a worksheet which changes depending on the entry in the Data Validation list but I like to hide all the formulas in this worksheet. I've tried selecting hidden in the Format/Protection and then selecting lock cells Protect worksheet in Tools/Protection but then this does not allow to select the drop down menu in the Data Validation box. I dont want to lock cells as they change with dynamically with data validation input PLUS I use Auto Filters but how can I still hide the formulas. Any suggestions Thx You COULD use Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False but the user c...

Cell won't wrap all of the text in it
I have a merged cell set to wrap text. Vertical alignment is set to top (I've played around with this option). I tried doing Auto Fit for height and width, but it doesn't make a difference. The cell contains a large amount of text, and it wraps until the very end. Then it just continues on the same line, so I can't see it in the actual cell. I can see it in the formula bar. Also, if I increase the width greatly, more of the text appears. There is still plenty of room in the row height, but for some reason the text won't wrap down to the next line, no matter what I try. ...

How Do i Get Access tables to mail merge in Word
I am trying to link a table or the results of a query to a word report template that i can use to display all of the records of a given table. For instance, in any given quarter, we may have 5 new sumps. When I open the word template i want those 5 records to appear within the template. Then, during the next quarter, if there are 10 new records, i want to table to automatically update. That is, it will adjust to show all five records. The way the template is currently set up, I have to manually edit the tables by copying and pasting the records from the queries or tables in Access to ...

Link Cells (Read for more info) -- HELP PLEASE
Ok, this is for more advanced Excel users. Here's the issue. Lets say I have two sheets in Excel, S1 and S2 respectively. Let's say in S1, if I type a 4-digit number IN COLUMN A, which is actually an ID number for a person, I want their name to automatically appear in COLUMN B from a list in S2. This is how S2's list is set up... A1 has a person's ID #, and B1 has that same persons name. A2 has a different person's ID #, and B2 has that person's name, etc... So when I type the ID # in S1 in column A, it will lookup in S2 and match that person's nam...

linking colored cell
I have a worksheet(A) with data linked to a second one(B); when I forma any (A) cell with a selected color, I would like to transmit the ne cell color to the linked one in (B); suggestions will be welcome -- Gerbati ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Gerbatin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1523 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26867 Cannot be done unless Condtional Formatting is used on both cells to produce the color. OR VBA code. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 12 Oct 2...

Can't insert Rows?
When I try and insert a row I get a prompt saying "To prevent possible loss of data, Excel cannot shift non-blank cells off the worksheet. Try to locate the last non-blank cell by pressing CTRL+END and delete or clear all cells in between the last cell and the end of your data. Then select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset the last cell used." Can anyone advise (a) Why this happens and (b) How to stop it happening as I've tried doing what the prompt says and can't seem to solve it...and I really need to insert a row, rather than cut & paste. Any help great...

How can you set up a form that the cursor only moves to cells tha.
I have set up a form. Now I want my cusor to move through the worksheet only in certain cells. I want to be able to go from one cell that needs to be filled out to the next cell that needs to be filled out automatically. Example , move from cell a3 to c19 automatically. How can I do that? Hi! You can accomplish that by setting sheet protection. Select all the cells that you want to be able to navigate to then goto Format>Cells>Protection tab. Uncheck Locked. Now, goto Tools>Protection>Protect sheet. A list of options will appear. Uncheck Select locked cells and check...

How do I stop Excel from automatically resizing my row height?
I have a spreadsheet with approximately 3800 rows and about 40 columns of data that I'm constantly filtering and massaging data in. It's getting frustrating to have my rows all of a sudden jump to a height of about 1/4 of the screen when I shrink some column widths to fit more columns on the screen. (Freeze panes won't allow me to split the screen also.) How do I disable the autofit row height? ...

Lock Rows
Hi, I have a worksheet where the first 5 rows (A1:A5) hold a number of headings which I want to be locked. ie when the user fills the current screen with data and wishes to scroll down using the vertical scroll bar, the actual headings don't dissapear from the screen. Easy enough, but can't figure out how. Thanks Anthony Go into A6 and then go to window/freeze panes "Anthony" wrote: > Hi, > I have a worksheet where the first 5 rows (A1:A5) hold a number of headings > which I want to be locked. ie when the user fills the current screen with > data and wish...

Flagging a particular cell? #2
As numbers are added and subtracted in a column of cells over time, the sum of these cells changes. I should like to discover a formula to be used which would flag a particular cell (or point in time) when that sum fluctuates by a given amount over the last flagged cell. Example: cell|data|sum|flag 1) 3 3 2) 4 7 3) -2 5 4) 5 10 FLAG 5) 6 16 6) 9 25 FLAG 7) -3 22 8) -8 14 FLAG etc. The formula I am looking for would examine the sum column and would flag a variance of 10 or more from the last flagged cell. I...

Filling empty cells with contents from another cell
I am attempting to create a macro that will allow me to survey a column of data and fill any empty cells with the input from the corresponding row of data from another column. As an example: Store Name Distributor Name Jiffy JIF Skippy SKIP Kraft Butterball BUTTER I would want my macro to insert the text "Kraft" into the third row of data in the distributor column. I have toyed with the following macro, to little success: Dim i As Integer Sheets("Data Mapping").Select For i = 1 To 104 If Range("C &a...

Increment Cell Reference
I have a worksheet that starts with daily data, a date, then a dollar value, then there is weekly data that needs to reference the daily data and increment 7 rows each time. Every way I ahve come up with wants to increment by 1, I used OFFSET to move down 7 rows, but then the next weekly cell OFFSET increments the original reference by 1. The daily data references the previous day and then adds any changes. So for the weekly data, I need to just move my reference down 7 rows each week. Thanks, Perry Hi! Is this a macro procedure you're describing or do you need help with a form...

Continuing the cell references in formulas
How du you make excel continue the cell references (the way I want) i formulas when copying? I have the formula =HVIS(ANTAL.BLANKE(B4:C4)<KOLONNER(B4:C4);"x";"") and when I copy this cell the references change to (c4:d4) instead o (d4:e4). I'm sure there is a simple way of going around this ... : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Kreller, > =HVIS(ANTAL.BLANKE(B4:C4)<KOLONNER(B4:C4);"x";"") > > and when I copy this cell the references change to (c4:d4) instead of > (d4:e4). I'm sure there is a simple way...

Last number in a column shows in the total/summay line cell
I am looking for a formula that would have the last number listed in a column listed in the total or summary row of the spreadsheet. Column A lists the month of the year Column B lists # of files pending Jan 10 Feb 12 Mar 7 Summary -- I want this to show the last number in Column B -- in this example 7. Thank you. hi in a cell of your choosing, enter.. =OFFS...

Selecting CListCtrl row with keyboard on sub item
Hi, I've been googling for this, since I'm sure people have done this before, but apparently I did not manage yet to compose the right search string for it! When you have list control, you can jump to a certain item by starting to type on the keyboard from the start of the string, as many characters until you have given enough detail to have jumped to the item that you were looking for. This is a nice feature, but now I want it to work alike for the sub items in my report style list control, when I have my list control sorted on such sub item. Of course I can think of an app...

Format Cells
Is is possible to alter the list of standard Date formats in the list that appears when you select "Format - Cells - Date"? I rarely use any of these ones, and have to enter in a custom format, which Excel doesn't remember next time I ned to format a date column. Alternately, It would also be helpful, that when I enter a custom format, it saved it to the list. Excel 2000. Hi Ben- Custom formats are not added to the default categories, but they should be retained in the Custom category at the bottom of the list. You can reapply it from there whenever necessary. To keep f...

Change font size based on value of a cell
If the value of A1>0, I need the font size in a merged cell to change from the default 10 to 16. It needs to return to the default size when A1 returns to a value of 0. Can someone help with this? Thanks. Michael Here's a little macro that will do it....... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Range("a1").Value = 0 Then Range("B1:E3").Font.Size = 10 Else Range("B1:E3").Font.Size = 16 End If Range("B1").Select End Sub Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "MichaelRLanier@gmail.com" wrote: > ...

How do I precisely set the height of rows in a table?
Having imported a table from Excel and resized it to fit the page, the row heights are now uneven - I want each row to be 1cm high. When trying to drag each row boundary to make the row 1cm high, the permitted increments seem to be uneven too and will not allow me to do what I want. Suggestions please! Publisher doesn't have exact cell measurement options. You can create guides and position the rows. Right-click a guide, click format ruler guides. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Steve" <Steve@dis...