Autofit Row & Merged Cells

Is this just me or is it a common problem:

I have some text in a cell. The cell is merged along a row with the adjacent
cells, I have put word wrap on. Now Autofit Row doesn't work and only shows
the first line of text.

Is there anything I can do, apart for manually adjust the row height?

Regards

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Take a look at this macro by Jim Rech:

    http://google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

If you need help getting started with macros, look at David
McRitchie's Getting Started with Macros page:

In article <ujT049jjDHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
 "Alex Burman" <burmanalex@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is this just me or is it a common problem:
>
> I have some text in a cell. The cell is merged along a row with the adjacent
> cells, I have put word wrap on. Now Autofit Row doesn't work and only shows
> the first line of text.
>
> Is there anything I can do, apart for manually adjust the row height?
>
> Regards

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

How do I hide formulas in Excel cells?
I have a worksheet with lots of different formulas. I need to have the complete sheet show the formulas and not the results. I did this before a few years ago but don't remember how. I am working on Excel 2000. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TOOLS / OPTIONS / FORMULAS HTH, Gary Brown "Rita" wrote: > I have a worksheet with lots of different formulas. I need to have the > complete sheet show the formulas and not the results. I did this before a > few years ago but don't remember how. I am working on Excel 2000. Any help > would be gr...

How do i merge two WLM?
I have WLM on my laptop and my desktop. I have a in network, why doesn't WLM only maintain one account. The mail on my laptop never transfers to my desk top, aren't they the same account? Bill Mc Define: "I have a in network". If both computers are using the same e-mail address, on both machines: Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Check: Leave a copy of messages on the server. On one machine only, check to Delete messages after X days to satisfy your allotted space you get from your server. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP...

how to divide the number in one cell into multiple cells
I have a value (5000) in one Excel cell. I need to distribute it into equal values in 10 cells. Can any one please let me know how to do that Suppose you have 5000 in cell A1 and your target cells are B1:B10. Select B1:B10. Keeping the selection of 10 cells press = to enter a formula =A1/10 Instead of enter press Ctrl+Shift+Enter...Now try changing the value in A1 If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Ramya" wrote: > I have a value (5000) in one Excel cell. I need to distribute it into equal > values in 10 cells. Can any one ple...

Enter every nth cell item
Hello, Using Excel 2003. I am looking for a formula that will grab every 4th item in a column and then paste it to a new column (or worksheet). For example, cells A1, A2, ... A20 contain first names. I want to grab every 4th name in the column and be copied to column D. Thanks for your help. -- sdm Hi in D1 enter =OFFSET($A$1,(ROW()-1)*4,0) and copy down -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sdm wrote: > Hello, > Using Excel 2003. I am looking for a formula that will grab every 4th > item in a column and then paste it to a new column (or worksheet). > For example, cells...

Need to delete duplicate rows automatically
I have a spreadsheet with multiple same names. I need to delete all the duplicates. HELP! >-----Original Message----- >I have a spreadsheet with multiple same names. I need to >delete all the duplicates. HELP! >. Not entirely sure what you need but... Highlight your names ( I assume they all lie in a single column e.g A1). Select<Data><Filter><Advanced Filter> In the dialog box enter your data in <List Range> Place a check mark in <Unique Records Only> [found at bottom of dialog box] and then press <OK>. This will just give uniq...

Combine 2 rows if name is same in Column B & C on both
Combine 2 rows if name is same in Column B & C on both 2 spreadsheets - Sheet 1 is bigger with extra names in column B & C Lastname Firstname Both - Column B & C Lastname Firstname - both sheets Sheet 1 has data in Col. D & E Sheet 2 has data in Col. F & G Sheet 1 has extra names not in Sheet 2 If Sheet 1 B&C = Sheet 2 B&C , then add F&G columns from sheet 2 , behind D& E columns on sheet 1 , for the match of names in Column B & C Thanks kerns.walter@epa.gov On Nov 13, 12:50 pm, wk <kerns.wal...@epa.gov> wrote: > Combine 2 rows if name...

convert column and row
How can I convert column and row in excel? E.g. column1 column2 column3 a a1 a2 a3 b b1 b2 b3 I want this format: a b column1 a1 b1 column2 a2 b2 column3 a3 b3 Thanks in advance:cool: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Highlight an area that is the same size as the array you want t transpose in the shape you want. Eg, if you original array went from A1:C2 your array is 2 by 3 Highlight an area that i...

How to pull every tenth row of information out of a 5,000-row spreadsheet?
At work, we're doing a poll of 500 people, and we've got a list of 5,000 = potential people to contact in a vast, 5,000-row Microsoft Excel=20 spreadsheet. =20 Is there a way to run a query or a macro or something that will=20 automatically go in and select every tenth row on this document and=20 either erase the intervening rows and move all the remaining to the=20 top, and/or copy the contents of every tenth row into a new document=20 (but without nine blank rows between each row?) =20 We're using Microsoft Excel v.X on Mac OS X Jaguar. =20 Most of what we do is graphic desig...

columns to rows
I do not have a computer running Access at the moment. An idea occurred to me. a common task is to convert table data such as: Key col1 col2 col3 ...... colN to a new table Key colkey The usual responses I have seen is VBA or a big union query Is it possible to create a table with just one numeric field colkey containing records with values 1 to N, put that in the design grid with the original table in a make table query with output fields Key and colddata, and write: coldata: IIF(colkey=1,[col1],IIF(colkey=2, [col2],(IIF(colkey=3,[col3] .......... Apologies if I am wasting grou...

Splitting Text in a Cell
Using Excel XP, I have a cell that has full names of people (First & Last Names). Can I split these two text somehow recognizing the space in between them? Thank you. Brig, have a look at data, text to columns, post back if you need any help with it -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 97 & 2000 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Brig" <golteb@netzero.net> wrote in message news:ed9422dXEH...

Auto Protecting cells & auto filling date
I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to auto proect cells after data has been entered? Basically I have a spreadsheet that has two levels of protection - some cells are password protected and others available for all to enter data into. What I would like to achieve is once data has been entered into a row in the editable area that row becomes part of the password protected area automatically. Also is it possible to use the NOW (or similar) function to populate one cell with a date when another is filled? Ie a log entry is made in column B. When some data is entered into colum...

Can not use contact list in Mail Merge
When trying to import a contact list to use in Mail Mrge, from Microsoft Outlook, I get the following message: " Either there is no default mail client or current mai client cannot fullfil the messaging request. Please run outlook and set it as the default mail client" I did that and I get the same messagE. Mike I don't understand what you are trying to do. List the precise steps. There is no need to import a list from Outlook for a mail merge. Your Outlook Contacts can serve as a data source for a merge. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike E" <epsteinmb@wor...

how do I copy several lines of word text into one excel cell?
In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each line pastes into a different cell) You can either double click the cell or press F2 key to get into edit mode for the cell, then the text pasted would all go into the cell. -Simon "jhh" wrote: > In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one > excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each > line pastes into a different cell) thank you SO much Simon CC - ...

Headings to rows in a query
Hi I have a number of columns in the query and I created one column called data from and I would like to put those headings to rows. How to do it? Example Cost C Cost D Data From 1122 Cost C 1122 Cost D Can you advise how to do it? -- Greatly appreciated Eva Usually you do something like this in labels on the form or report which uses your query as a recordsource. Please explain why you want to do this in your query. Steve santus@penn.com "Eva" <Eva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40EBA712-466B-...

Wrap text and row autofit
Hello, If Wrap text is enabled for a cell, the row autofit function works properly. But if I merge 2 or more cells in a row, then autofit doesn't work. It sets itself to the height of 1 row even if the contents require more than 1 row's height. Pls help. Note: Excel 2003 version. thanks, GK GK Rows with Merged cells will not Autofit. Just one of many problems with merged cells. You need VBA code to do that. Here is code from Greg Wilson. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NewRwHt As Single Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single Dim c As Range, cc As ...

Resizing row height to dynamically fit height of text box
Is there a way to link the height of a text box to the height of a row so that as you type text into the text box and the text box's height increases, the row height will also increase? I know That by setting the "Move and size with cells" option you can make the TEXT BOX height increase as the ROW height increases, but I'm looking to do the opposite (i.e. make the ROW height increase as the TEXT BOX height increases). Not too complicate things too much, but I was also hoping to do this within a protected sheet. "Jon" wrote: > Is there a way to link the...

Stop autofit 2007
Can someone please help. I have a master slide where the title is 20pt. When there is a 2 lined title powerpoint makes it 18pt. I need it to stay 20pt because I want the user to realize that it is way too much text and they must shorten the title. But why is it autofitting. I have: 1. gone to ppt options/autoformat/unchecked autofit for placeholders and body text 2. I have right clicked /format selected no autofit but yet it stills does it. Anyone know why. It's driving me crazy. I've been trying to make this work for 3 hours. Did you go to the relevant layout right cli...

Restore Result Of Cell Link After Every Time Run Formula
PHP code ------------------- RESTORE RESULT OF CELL LINK AFTER EVERY TIME RUN FORMULA IN COLUMN RESULT WITHOUT CHANGE OF BEFOR RESULT ------------------- FOR EXAMPLE : I WANT RESTORE RESULT OF : A1 CELL IS INPUT CELL NUMBER AND B1:B10 IS (LINK TO A1) COLUMN FOR EVERY TIME CHANGE A1 CONTEN BUT I WANT FILL B1:B10 AFTER TEN TIMES CHANGE A1 CONTENT IN THE OTHE WORD: EXAMPLE : A1 IS CONTENT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 AND RESULT IN B1:B10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 AFTER ANY TIME CLICK NE TYPE IN A +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: EXCEL HELP ...

Rows to Columns
I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, etc. How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without reentering all the data? Thank you --Select B2:D2. Copy the range --Select A1. Right click>PasteSpecial>Transpose>OK If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Walter Seaton" wrote: > I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, > etc. > How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without > reentering all the data? >...

Cell format wrong on import from HTML: text becomes scientific notation integer
I am importing tables from HTML files. One of the fields is an alpha ID which frequently takes the form 1E<99>. Excel invariably imports this as an integer in scientific notation, which makes restoration of the 4 digit text value unreasonably difficult. There could be up to 50 IDs in the 1E<99> format in a single column. Even when the column format is subsequently changed to text, repairing the damage is like removing glass splinters with tweezers. Trying to Edit>Replace 1E+ with 1E doesn't work, either because Excel thinks it would be mangling a formula (in which case ...

Increase rows & columns icons
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I created a customized toolbar that included the increase row &amp; increase column icons. However, these 2 icons remain dimmed on the toolbar &amp; cannot be used. The delete row &amp; column icons work just fine, as does the insert cell icon. Try Control/Right-Click each of the buttons & select Reset Command. If that doesn't resolve it make sure Office is fully updated (11.5.6). Do the same for OS X (10.6.3), repair disk permissions & restart your Mac... It's pointless to chase symptoms if any...

Why is mail merge not available?
I have newly installed Publisher 2003 and most of the mail merge commands are not available. How do I activate this feature? What commands are unavailable? Can you open the wizard? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "MarkCJ" <MarkCJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13AB0160-5F4D-4481-BCB5-D3C9E45B363A@microsoft.com... >I have newly installed Publisher 2003 and most of the mail merge commands are > not available. How do I activate this feature? In the Tools/Mail and Catalog Merge ...

Excel
I want to quickly delete unwanted rows from a file. I can use a custom filter to "hide" the unwanted rows, but I'd like to delete those rows. Any suggestions. Instead of hiding the unwanted rows, filter to show ONLY those rows. Then select and delete the visible rows. "rook" wrote: > I want to quickly delete unwanted rows from a file. I can use a custom > filter to "hide" the unwanted rows, but I'd like to delete those rows. > > Any suggestions. You need to choose a filter option which displays only the unwanted rows (i.e. the oppos...

Adjusting row heights and column widths to align with another sheet
Hi, A workbook has sheets containing printable reports. All have identical columns and widths. After experimenting, I have arrived at an ideal row heights and column widths for one of the sheets. I now need to adjust the other sheet to the same heights and widths. Any way to do this using VBA or through the user interface? Thanks in advance for the help. Regards, Raj It seems like this is a one off so all you need to do is select the worksheet with the correct column widths and row heights then hold the Ctrl key while you click on the other worksheet tabs. (this selects mul...

if cell format
Hi, would some be kind enough to show me how to word an if then statemen for formating? Here is the question in regular people talk. if the cell A1 is bold return true in not then false thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you need VBA for this. Try the following user defined function: Public Function is_bold(rng As Range) As Boolean application.volatile is_bold = rng.Font.Bold End Function us this like =IS_BOLD(A1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, > > would some be kind enough to show me how to word an if then statement > fo...