Autofilter's drop down list goes missing

I am using autofilter on a two excel work sheets.
Randomly the drop down arrows locks up and will not display the drop
down lists.
If I uncheck autofilter and reselect the data then reselect autofilter
it enables the drop down arrows again, although this does not always
work, some times I have to close excel and open it again.
The document was originally created in excel 2000 but the problem is
occurring in excel 2003.
I have been able recreate the problem on separate machines different
hardware (Compaq and Dell), so I know the hardware is not the issue.
Again the method of reproducing the error seems random, there does not
seem to be any real steps to making the problem occur, it just happens.
I have googled and searched the MS kbase, and have not come across this
error.
I was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem or knows a
resolution to it.
(And, no there are less then 1000 items in the list)

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

hi, Paul !

> ... using autofilter... Randomly the drop down arrows locks up and will not display
> ... If I uncheck autofilter and reselect the data then reselect autofilter it enables the drop down arrows again
> ... some times I have to close excel and open it again.
> ... originally created in excel 2000 but the problem is occurring in excel 2003 [...]

[just guessing]...
if this only happens when you are in 2003, maybe (inadvertently) control+Q has been pressed
you can possibly see a blue border surrounding the list (if this has not been removed)
see if excel 2003 data/list feature applies to this behavior...
http://www.uncc.edu/sysdev/HowTos/Excel/List.htm

hth,
hector.

Hi hector, I'm pretty sure that nothing is pressed, it's as though it
just stops functioning.
And I just tried it now, that's not it. Thanks for the suggestion
though. I think this may be a bug within excel or maybe the worksheet
is corrupted.

Still looking for the answer. (excel 2003)
I have the same issue as Paul - for no apperant reason my autofilter drop
downs just stop working ( a major inconvienance and time waste).

Thank you Paul, I thought I was the only one.
I'm suprised more aren't having this problem.

"Paul" wrote:

> I am using autofilter on a two excel work sheets.
> Randomly the drop down arrows locks up and will not display the drop
> down lists.
> If I uncheck autofilter and reselect the data then reselect autofilter
> it enables the drop down arrows again, although this does not always
> work, some times I have to close excel and open it again.
> The document was originally created in excel 2000 but the problem is
> occurring in excel 2003.
> I have been able recreate the problem on separate machines different
> hardware (Compaq and Dell), so I know the hardware is not the issue.
> Again the method of reproducing the error seems random, there does not
> seem to be any real steps to making the problem occur, it just happens.
> I have googled and searched the MS kbase, and have not come across this
> error.
> I was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem or knows a
> resolution to it.
> (And, no there are less then 1000 items in the list)

Have you been deleting names from your workbook indiscriminately?

Maybe with code like this:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
    Dim myName As Name
    For Each myName In ActiveWorkbook.Names
        myName.Delete
    Next myName
End Sub

If yes, then you could have deleted a hidden name created by excel.

Maybe this'll help...

Select your cells with the arrows -- just the header row is enough.

Then Insert|name|Define
in the names in workbook box, type this:

'Sheet1'!_FilterDatabase

(change sheet1 to match your worksheet name.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Autofilter
Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using Project 2007. Thanks Larry Larry, I am not sure what you mean by Autofilter a single column. Can you give more detail as to what you are trying to do? "External Update" wrote: > Is it possible to autofilter a single column within a project? I am using > Project 2007. > Thanks > > Larry Hello Larry, Sure. Turn on Autofilters and use the drop-down filter only on the single field. The Autofilter icons will appear at each field heading, but you need not use them...

Create a bar chart from a list?
I have a table, "A1:B10". Col "A" list of names, Col"B" values. How do I create a bar chart that plots the names which only have values? -- Bob "Bob" wrote: > I have a table, "A1:B10". Col "A" list of names, Col"B" values. > How do I create a bar chart that plots the names which only have values? > -- > Bob Have you tried selecting just the cells that have names and values and then going to Insert>chart? You can select multiple cells by holding the CTRl button and the mouse to select. I am not sure ho...

envelope list from excel
I have a list of names and addresses in an excel work sheet. How can I generate a label list for a mailing from it? Louis Louis Labels from within Excel alone is a trial and error operation. Best to use Word for the mailmerge operation. For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm And a training tutorial for creating envelopes and labels. http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID...

Paste damages formula in autofilter #3
That doesn't seem to work as the paste sends a #REF into the offset o paste so the formula becomes =IF(OFFSET(#REF!,0,-1)>0,1,0) on the righ which returns the #REF error. Think solution would be easier to solve with a macro executin everytime an update occurs maybe?. There's got be a way to do it cause I have seen a worksheet where i works and I don't believe it is likely it was done with macros. (sidenote, database is a central one used to modify other worksheet using macros. Each of these worksheets uses different sets of filters The data pane on the right records subtotal...

Antigen 9 Eval
Hi All, I have the Antigen 9 eval for Exchange 2003 installed. I had configured the anti-spam settings, and everything was working wonderfully. I noticed yesterday that spam filtering was sub-par. I went into the antigen administrator, and saw that all of the anti-spam options were now greyed out, and unavailable for configuration. I also see that the smtp job is no longer there. I've tried searching the documentation, and the MS support site, but have come up with no answers. Does anyone have some ideas for me to try? thanks! ...

shortcut on autofilter function
i have many columns of data using the autofilter. is there a shortcut that either returns all the fields to the all function or a shortcut that returns all the data to the page thanks One line of code will do this (maybe put in your Personal.xls): Sub Foo() Activesheet.ShowAllData End Sub Then assign it to a New (Macro) Icon in your toolbar. It will always be available on any sheet that has an autofilter range assigned. HTH "derwood" <darren.irvine@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1132654133.294598.246590@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >i have many columns of data u...

problems with password list
I'm having difficulty with Outlook 2002 and saving email account passwords. Even when I prompt the application to save my passwords, I always have to input the email address again when I open Outlook later. What's going on? For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q290684 For Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000: (CW) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q275465 (IMO) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q259416 For all Outlook versions on Windows XP (just ignore the parts that refer ...

How do I enter lists into names?
Hello everybody Currently I am using a named range as a list for the data validation function. To make my sheet more idiot-proof, I'd like to enter the items from the named range directly into the name definition (via Insert-Name-Define or VBA). Is this possible? What syntax do I need to use? Greetings from Switzerland Urs 1st - Insert a tab and label it "Departments", that you can hid later put the data that you want in a column, like this: A1= Creative A2= Marketing A3= HR Just keep going down Columns "A" until you hav...

I do not have the recover deleted e mails in my tool drop down
I was watching tips and tricks in outlook and the man recovered past deleted e mails that were left on the server for 2 weeks how do i configure that to work for me. You need to be connected to an Exchange Server, the Exchange Administrator is required to set up a Deleted Item retention period and if all that is satisfied you need to highlight your Deleted Items folder first before the command is available. "Mr. B." <Mr. B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF5C4573-DB4B-45F3-8174-B5DD2C29B9D7@microsoft.com... >I was watching tips and tricks in outlook ...

AutoFilter and Frequency Function
I am trying to see if I can create a frequency function that will change as I autofilter different criteria. I have a file with over 15,000 rows returning data on sales opportunities including key fields I want to filter on: organization, product line, geography and status (Won, Lost, Open). In each case I want to see the change in distribution of "days in funnel" whether I am looking at all the data or just one geography or just one product line. It appears that the Frequency function does not recognize the filtered out data and continues to return values for the entire data set....

distribution list #44
I have a user who created a whole bunch of email distribution list which now need to be moved to a separate "contact" folder. How can I choose all the contacts in a distribution list and move them to a contact list as individuals and not a distribution list. Thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES PS using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2007 you'll need to go through the whole list and pick and choose then move them yourself. Now... if you just need the addresses into individual contacts you can save the DL as a text file (or use Send, in internet format to create a text file) and impor...

Retrieving email ids into drop down box in outlook 2007 add-in
Hi, I am working on MS outlook 2007 add-in project using Visual studio 2008,C#. I am trying to retrieve all email accounts( which were I set up in outlook) into one dropdown box. May I know how to get this application.... ...

How do I print out a list of the tabs in an Excel workbook?
I have a large workbook that tracks computers for a company I work for, one tab per computer. I would like to print out jsut a list of the tab names as sort of an index file and check list for a physical inventory. Is this possible? thanks This macro will list all the sheet names in order in Column A of the active sheet, starting in A2. Column A must be empty for this to work. HTH Otto Sub ListShtNames() Dim ws as Worksheet For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Value = ws.Name Next ws End Sub "Britom...

List Box Help Please
I have a subform on a main form. I have two list boxes in the sub form. I want List box 2 to update when I choose from list box 1. This is what I currently have. Private.Sub 1st_ListBox_AfrterUpdate() Me.1st_ListBox = "" Me.1st_ListBox.Requery Me.Requery End Sub Private Sub 2nd_ListBox_AfterUpdat() Me.Requery End Sub I would also like my list boxes to have a default of Null. I would appreciate any help as this is not working. Thank you in advance. Please provide a bit more description of what you want to accomplish. "I want Listbox 2 to update" do...

Folder File list disappears.......
I have what might be a unique situation, or perhaps one I've just not seen reported in these forums before. I've just re-installed WinXP on my main notebook. Given the number of apps that had to be reinstalled, and the various specialized drivers that were needed, I'm not certain exactly when this problem began, but nonetheless..... Not always, but often, when I double click to open a folder, the folder opens, I can see the file list, but then the folder screen clears. If I leave it as such (and often there seems to be no other option) the files refresh after a ...

Vista Leaf Water Drop DreamScene
Hi, I've recently switched from a Vista Ultimate OS in which i have been using one of the official Dreeamscenes (downloaded from Ultimate updates) where it shows a water droplet dripping from a leaf with a bright blurry Backdrop. However, i have since reformated and am now using Windows 7 with the dreamscene hack and I have been looking for the above dreamscene everywhere on the internet, but to no avail. Just wondering if anyone knows a website which stores this file? Or can I request any existing Vista Ultimate users to attach the file here on this post? Your help would b...

autofilter
hello and good new year i'm on w2k and office 2003 on excel when i do two cols A B 1 =a+1 2 =a+1 etc..... i go to for example 500 and after i make auto filter on A and B if i use autofilter i see Filter mode but if after i do only 10 line and not 500 i have 1 of 500 records found and not 1 of 10. i have two problem : with 500 line i have not the count of record found and if i delete some line i must desable autofilter for have the good count of line thanks for your help Debra Dalgleish as some work arounds at: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.ht...

Filter List for Linked Values
I have a list of Numbers. In that list some Cells are: - Linked Values [ e.g. ='[Sales.xls]Sheet1'!K61) ] - Forumlas [ e.g. =1802+254+356 or =sum(A2:B32) ] - Manually Entered I want to filter the list for linked values. Is this possible? Hi not without VBA (using a user defined function) and a helper column >-----Original Message----- >I have a list of Numbers. In that list some Cells are: > > - Linked Values [ e.g. ='[Sales.xls]Sheet1'!K61) ] > - Forumlas [ e.g. =1802+254+356 or =sum(A2:B32) ] > - Manually Entered > > I want to filter the l...

printing list control items in the same format as they appear in list control
hi all, I am using the following code to print the content of the list control iems but the problem is when I print they are not aligned in the same format as they appear in the list control. can any one correct where I'm erring. BOOL CSortlistView::OnPreparePrinting(CPrintInfo* pInfo) { m_reportlist.RemoveAll( ) ; CString str, temp ; str.Format ( "%25s %25s %25s", " Filename", " Size ", " Date " ) ; m_reportlist.AddTail ( str ) ; int listcount = GetListCtrl( ).GetItemCount( ) ; for ( int i = 0 ; i < listcount ; i++ ) { str.Format ...

Multi Select List Box as Source for Parameter Query
Let me try to explain exactly what I'm trying to do and see if anyone can help me with this. I have a table in my database, called Skills Table. It's a little complicated to explain what 'skills' are, but suffice it to say each skill in my table has a record source. I therefore created a second table, called Source Table, listing the names of the record sources that each skill could come from. I then linked this table to the Skills Table by Source ID. What I want to do now is create a form with a Multi Select List box, where I can select which sources I want to use for skills...

How to get the list of logged users?
Hi there! I'm working in a application that needs to do a "single sign on" thing... The idea is if the user logged in the windows is also a user in the domain server, and if the user is logged in the server, then it can use the application. To get the users list from a domain server, I'm using the NetQueryDisplayInformation API, but I can't figure out which API gives me if someone is logged in a server/computer... Does anyone have some suggestion? Thaks in advance. Antonio Carvalho ...

missing message
for some reason outlook 2003 keeps showing 1 message inbox in the all mail folders section when there isn't one. can I clear this --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 080127-1, 01/27/2008 Tested on: 1/27/2008 9:47:13 AM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2008 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com ...

Auto Import Into Deny List
Hi, Is their any way of importing the IP's in a text file into the deny email from without having to manually add the Ip's one at a time http://www.bubbleshare.com/album/135453 Thanks Try ipsec.vbs http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=286d2818-08b3-496d-8b0d-c2b628a3ef16&displaylang=en James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com On Mar 12, 3:27 pm, melu <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Is their any way of importing the IP's in a text file into the deny email > from without having to...

Autosum with Autofilter
I have a spreadsheet with numerous values in one column and different identifying data in other columns. I can sort the data nicely using autofilter, however, my autosum at the bottom of the values column continues to display the total value of all the rows, not just the ones that I have filtered to view. I need to be able to filter the spreadsheet and to have it autosum only those rows in view on screen. Is this possible? Many thanks Peter Use the SUBTOTAL() function which will work only on filtered rows. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel ...

Tree and List Icon Size
I have a few views based on CTreeCtrl and CListCtrl. The list is set to details view, so never uses large icons. I define an image list for them and add the icons as follows: int nColorDepth = CWindowDC(this).GetDeviceCaps(BITSPIXEL); m_ImageList.Create(16, 16, nColorDepth > 16 ? ILC_COLOR32 : ILC_COLOR24|ILC_MASK, 1, 1); m_ImageList.Add(app->LoadIcon(IDI_FolderBlue)); etc etc for each icon. I then use SetImageList to apply the icons to the list or tree. My question is about the icons size on both the trees and lists. I want to use the same icon on the tree and list, bu...