autofilling cells

say i have a in A1, b in A7, c in A9
how do i insert a in A2 - A6, b in A8 and
"c" in A10 - A21

TIA

0
a__ (2)
4/1/2004 9:54:12 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

Select your range of cells in column A. Edit / Go to / Special / Blanks.
Type = and then press up arrow. Then hit Shift Enter.
If you are happy with this result, select the range again and Edit / Copy
then Edit / Paste Special / Values   to fix the values in place.

Andy.

"John Smith" <a__@abv.bg> wrote in message
> say i have a in A1, b in A7, c in A9
> how do i insert a in A2 - A6, b in A8 and
> "c" in A10 - A21
>
> TIA

0
andyb1 (494)
4/1/2004 10:28:55 AM
Hi Andy

I think John mean't Ctrl+Enter not Shift+Enter

Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins.
Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *****
0
dave2624 (251)
4/1/2004 10:37:43 AM
i am not a expert,but let me give a try.

1.select the column A.
2.Press F5 key
3.select special button-->Then select Blanks.
4.Some cells will be selcted,now just type = & select the upper cell
do ctrl+enter.

Experts,
Any correction in this..........pls help.

Rajkuma

There are instructions here for filling the cells manually, or with a
macro (if you need to do this frequently):

   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
4/1/2004 12:16:57 PM
great help
thank u!

"John Smith" <a__@abv.bg> wrote in message
> say i have a in A1, b in A7, c in A9
> how do i insert a in A2 - A6, b in A8 and
> "c" in A10 - A21
>
> TIA

0
a__ (2)

linking cells in a column (result) to cells in a row (source)
MS XP Pro / Excel 2007: Good day all. I have data in two consecutive rows. The 1st one is text and the second contains formulae which results in values. (Call these the "source") On another sheet in the same workbook I have two columns (Call these the destination) which need to be linked to the source rows if value (other than zero) is present in the 2nd source row. There could be zero value or blank cells within the source rows. I need code to sequentially seek values (other than zero) in the cells in the 2nd row of the source and when found, the next available cell ...

Autofill Formulas
Hello. I have a workbook with 31 sheets of data. Each sheet is a form with a record of data. I would like extract the data into a list. For example, range A5 is the same field on each sheet, so I want to autofill a formula reference the same cell on different sheets. I suspect I need a macro for this, but wanted to make sure first. Can you autofill like this =Sheet1!$A$5, =Sheet2!$A$5, =Sheet3!$A$5? -- Thanks, Mike =INDIRECT("Sheet" & (ROW()) & "!A5") Entered in A1 of new sheet. Copy down to A31............will increment the Sheet numbe...

If text exists pull text from another cell....how to do it?
I have a schedule with multiple sheets that I have made for my staff. What I am having trouble with is getting text from one sheet to another. I have Servers, Host, BarBus sheets as well as Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sun sheets. In the Servers sheet in A1 Column I have their names B1:O1 are their shifts. The setup is the same for Host and BArBus sheets. B1 has three shifts AM, OCA, XPOA B2 has four shifts PM, BR, OCP, XPOP What I can not figure out is how to pull the names of the people that are working. Example: On Sheet Mon I have Servers______Host______Bar_______Bus I need...

Insert a graphic in a cell
I'd like to be able to enbed a logo in a cell. Not possible. Graphic objects reside on the drawing layer "above" the cells. Cells can contain formulae or values only. Workaround. Insert your graphic, and size it so that it exactly covers the cell. Right-click it, choosing Format Picture. In the Properties tab of the Format Picture dialog, choose the Move and Size with cells radio button. In article <F253C07B-E71A-445E-B612-0189187A09D9@microsoft.com>, Pete_Escher fan <Pete_Escher fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'd like to be able to enbed a...

How do I color one cell and have another cell get same color
I want to assign a yellow color to either of 2 cells and have a seperate cell turn the same color As far as I know, Excel does not recognize a color change as an event to which it will react. The same for Conditional Formatting. Perhaps you can work with the condition that drives you to color either of those 2 cells. Post back and provide more info on what you have and what you want to have. HTH Otto "glassman" <glassman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5B1B2B1-A641-4EC3-809A-5F91E16EE46E@microsoft.com... > I want to assign a yellow colo...

How do I get brackets in format cells accounting?
In Excel 2000, "format cells accounting" got me brackets around negative numbers. Excel 2003 gives me a negative sign. Is there any to change this? I know I can get the format I want in custom, but this seems to require formatting each cell. Highlight all the desired cells. Right click and select Format Cells. From the Number tab you can select the desired view. "allan" wrote: > In Excel 2000, "format cells accounting" got me brackets around negative > numbers. Excel 2003 gives me a negative sign. Is there any to change this? > I know I c...

Why does picking an cell highlight two cells?
In an Excel 2007 worksheet, some cells when picked with the mouse highlight the adjacent cell. The cells are not merged and data is only entered into the cell that was picked. Hi, 2 possibilities. 1. Tap F8. Did that cure it? 2. If it didn't take the zoom level up and down. There are reports of a bug in Excel 2007 that causes this and reportedly changing the zoom level clears the problem -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "...

Cell Range Names
I've looked around, but can't find if it's possible for me to "Lookup" in column of cells based on group criteria and automatically add a Range Name to them. I'm busilding a business spreadsheet that has numbered day of the month in column A and the related day name in column B. A B 1 Sat 2 Sun 3 Mon I want to do comparisons with previous years same "Weeks", like "week 1", "week 2", etc. starting from the first Saturday of the year to the last Friday of the year. I need to figure out how to lookup, group and automa...

fill random cells in an area
hi! I have this problem: in one sheet a have 4 values (in the columns ABCD row1) and I want to use this 4 values to fill randomly 4 of those 20 cells of the range A1:A20. How to do this? Thank you!:confused: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ i forgot something: range A1:A20 is in a new sheet not in the same shee with the values. Sorry -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How do I add a formula to a range of cells
1) You can type a formula into a cell and then drag the that cell's fill handle (solid square in lower right corner) to fill other cells with the formula. You need to know about absolute and relative referencing - see Help I the cell is part of a vertical table, double clicking the fill handle is quicker than dragging it. 2) You can select a range of cell, type the formula and finish off with CTRL+ENTER. This fills the selected range with the same formula - with appropriate cell reference changes. best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme ...

Excel and adding cells items...
Does anyone know how to add an item from a cell on sheet 1 to a cell on sheet 2? if the formula cell is on sheet2. ='sheet1'!a1+b99 (b99 is on sheet2, so it doesn't need the sheet name in front of it.) "Ivan T. Williams" wrote: > > Does anyone know how to add an item from a cell on sheet 1 to a cell on > sheet 2? -- Dave Peterson ...

Types of cell references?
I'm (as usual) floundering in the Office 2007 Help files. In the description of the Indirect function, the following appears: A1 is a logical value that specifies what type of reference is contained in the cell ref_text. If a1 is TRUE or omitted, ref_text is interpreted as an A1-style reference. If a1 is FALSE, ref_text is interpreted as an R1C1-style reference. So what exactly is a A1-style reference? I assume the R1C1-reference is a row/column reference (such as B3)? I swear, trying to search for things like this in the Help is a complete waste of time. You assume incorrectly....

how to i control autofill
Hello, Suppose I enter a formula in cell B2 and I want this formula to autofill down to cell B55000. If I click and drag down to cell B55000, there are two problems: it takes too long to scroll all the way down to cell B55000, and by the time i actually get there the scroll speed is so fast that i usually pass the cell. Is there a way to autofill a formula so that I don't have to do it by manually dragging the formula down to cell B55000? Thanks, Joe -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Hi two options that i know of: 1) if there is data in column A down to A55000 (or co...

Linking only the format of a cell and not the data
Hi, I want to be able to automatically update the cells a13.e13 with the colours that are put into a1.e1, but not to copy the content of cells a1.e1. Appreciate anyone help on this since most of the posting have a solution for content and format simultaneously. I want to link only the format and not the content. Thanks in advance. Sandip. Hi unfortunately you can't link formats. Even using an event procedure like worksheet_change won't help as this event is not triggered by format changes >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I want to be able to automatically update ...

Pivot Autofilering Items
Dear All, I'd like to see only the valid items on the drop down list on the "Page Field" area . An example. Source Data: Model - Color - Full Optional - Qty FIAT BLU YES 10 OPEL GREEN NO 12 BMW RED NO 14 In the Page field I put the Model, Color and Full Optional field. When I filter the item FIAT on the field Model and then I want to filter the Color field, I'd like see only the color regarding the FIAT model (BLU), bu...

Stop calculating a single cell.
Is it possible to control the VB "calculate" for a single cell? I have read and used methods for workbooks and the application but I am not sure if this can be done to control the calculation of a single cell. If anybody knows, please let me know, Thanks in advance!! Leo. Hi Leo, Not sure what you mean. The entire workbook can be recalculated except this single cell? Or do you mean something different? -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Leo Rod" <leo@rod_com> wrote in message news:%23g3ebza6HHA.5844@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... | Is it possib...

Autofill on addressing
Trying to set up Outlook on new PC as I had it on old one where e mail address is automatically offered when part of a name is inserted, but no luck in finding it. Trevor Appleton <trevor@weather.4dinternet.co.uk> wrote: > Trying to set up Outlook on new PC as I had it on old one where e mail > address is automatically offered when part of a name is inserted, but > no luck in finding it. What version of Outlook? For OL 2003, it's Tools>Options>E-mail Options>Advanced E-mail Options: Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields. -- Brian Tillman ...

Autofill
When entering data into fields that verify against a database, such as vendor IDs, accounts, checkbook names, and so forth, have the program suggest a logical selection, much like Excel does with its autofill feature. AutoComplete functionality was added in v8.0 of Great Plains and remembers the Key field values that you use. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my personal views and no...

How to start every word in a cell uppercase?
Is there a way to have excel do this automatically. I have asap utilities but you still have to initiate it each time. If you put the code from this page in your personal macro workbook: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm And then from this page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#proper_change put a variation of the Event Procedure under the heading "Invoking a Change Event macro to change to Proper Case (#proper_change)" in the code for the worksheet in question. Then yes, you can. Note: To test this, I removed: If Target.Column <> 4 Then Exi...

Selecting and copying columns based on a cell value
I am trying to do somthing simple (?) without unnecessary copies etc o the data, (my methods so far seems too messy) Basically What I want to do is scan through these various workbooks an worksheets copying in all columns that match a specific value (eg wher row 5 = "XYZ") More info: Using Excel 2002 and this needs to be rerunable on a daily basis t replace the manual copy/paste method in use now. I have source data in multiple workbooks (submitted by differen individuals) and I want to scan through these extracting out only thos columns that match a criteria. Unfortunately the da...

cycling $ in cell refs
In previous versions of excel one could cycle through the various premutations of A1, $A$1, $A1, A$1, by hitting the F4 key. That functionality appears to have disappeared in excel 2007. Has it moved elsewhere or is there some simple way to get it back? That still works for me. You don't happen to have a new keyboard too, for which you have to enable the function keys with an F Lock key? -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "rossu" <rossu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97BBEC81-BD2F-4CB2-B237-E8357CFAD079@microsoft.com... | In previ...

My tab key advances several cells to the left. What is wring?
I am using Excel 2003. I need to move my cursor thing just once to the left when I press tab. it is moving a whole screen! Likely: Tools-->Options, Transition tab. Untick transition options. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "somethingsquare" <somethingsquare@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F94C0FB-FD16-466B-B855-342DBD494481@microsoft.com... > I am using Excel 2003. I need to move my cursor thing just once to the left > when I press tab. it is moving a whole screen! something put in excel to emulate what happens in lotus...

Autofill hyperlinks
Can you tell me how to autofill a hyperlink formula so that both the file path and the friendly name change incrementally? I'm using the hyperlink function, and need to copy it down so that the file name changes (dec 8.pdf, dec 9.pdf...) and the friendly name also changes (Dec 8, Dec 9...) The formula I am using is: =HYPERLINK("g:\public\DP\dec 7.pdf","Dec 7") Thank you! Try this: =3DHYPERLINK("g:\public\DP\dec "&ROW(A7)&".pdf","Dec "&ROW(A7)) ROW(A7) will return 7, and so will be equivalent to what y...

Short cut for return in a cell
Hello! I am urgently searching for the shortcut that will make a retur in a cell. That means I write 5 items in a cell but want them to appear below eac other and not in a line. There is a shortcut that will effect retur inside of one cell. Please if anybody knows that one, give me a short notice. I need it t create an excel database for work. Thanks Katri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Katrin try ALT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hello! I am urgently searching for the shortcut that will make a > return in a cell. > > That means I...