Attaching Comment to cell contents rather than cell

I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns,
however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the
content.  The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will
move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather
than the cell.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the
comments and create a table in another worksheet.

Value   Comment

Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Ta
Damo

"Dave Peterson wrote:

> If the values that you're commenting are unique, you may want to toss the
> comments and create a table in another worksheet.
>
> Value   Comment
>
> Then use an =vlookup() formula to return the "comment" to the adjacent cell.
>
> El Damo wrote:
> >
> > I have a spreadsheet that is regularly upadated overwriting columns,
> > however I need to enter comments on the sheet referenced on the
> > content.  The next time I update the sheet the referenced cell will
> > move down a row, but I need the comment to stay with the content rather
> > than the cell.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Many thanks
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson"

Say your comments go into cells with unique part numbers.

Create a table on another worksheet:

Col A  Col B
-----  ------------------------
Part1  This is comment1.
Part2  This is a second comment
PartN  This is the last column.

Then use that part number to bring back the comment into an adjacent cell.

=if(iserror(vlookup(a2,sheet2!a:b,2,false)),"",vlookup(a2,sheet2!a:b,2,false))

Debra Dalgleish has some notes:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html  (for =vlookup())

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

Can't see contents of Public Folders
I just tried to copy over my public folders to our new exchange server. I right clicked on them, went to properties, replication tab and added the new server. Then I right clicked on the top level folders and went to all tasks, Propagate settings. Now my users cannot see the contents of there public folders! PLEASE HELP ME! Did I miss something! ...

Template auto adjust when content size change
Hi, can I draw up a template and insert a graphic in excel whereby when the graphic size is changed, the template will auto adjust for print out in A4 paper ? If no, any idea which MS software should I be using ? ...

uuencoded attachment from mailx is embedded instead of attached
Since I applied the August 2004 version of the post ex2000 sp3 roll-up and the latest April Microsoft secuirty patches, when our unix mailx app sends mail to our Exchange 2k server, the uuencoded attachment is embedded in the body of the message instead of being received as an attachment. Being embedded in the message body turns it into unuseable garbage. We have not made any changes to the unix box, only the exchange box. Has anyone else experienced this problem or anyone know what the solution may be? Thanks ...

Printing

refreshing formulas in cells
Hello I have a simple sum formula in Cell A2 that adds two cells "=sum(A1:b1)" for example. For some reason when I change the numbers or add numbers to Cell A1 or B1 the result of the formula dosent change in Cell A2 unless I page down and page up and then It shows the new total. Ive used formulas for years and every time I made a change to a number you could see the result in the cell containing the Sum formula right away even though I was in the same frame of that worksheet. My Auto calculate is checked vs using manual calculation under Tools>Options. Im using Office 2000...

Attachment Read only
Hi, When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 Rgds Dear, It seems you are opening the attachment in OL Reading preview - Open the mail(double click on the mail) and then read the attachment. Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Jsingh" wrote: > Hi, > > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not > readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 > > Rgds > Jsingh, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:03:02 -0800: > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually i...

Attach a file in knowledge base
Hi all, Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doesn't make sense to only type it in or copy the text into the article. Thanks in advance, DK. I had the same problem and apparently this is not a feature in MS CRM 3.0. According to a CRM representative the answer is that you cannot attach a document to a knowledge base article. "DK" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an > article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doe...

Automaticly open attachment and print attachment
Hello, Is there a way to automaticly open a attachment and print it? I played with the rules wizard but there i can only get the message openend and printed. I use Outlook 2003 Thanks. You'll need a 3rd party utility. Look for solutions here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http:/...

Use VBA to add to existing number in cell
I am using a userform to select the data I need in certain cells. However, if there is existing information I want to add the following and not overwrite. Range("C14").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _ "=Sheet1!R[-2]C[6]+Sheet2!R[5]C[2]+Sheet3!R[58]C[24]" Could anyone help, Thanks Hywel -- Hywel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hywel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14824 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=490701 This type of code can lead to a prob...

cell fill colors in excel spreadsheet
Why can't I view cell fill colors in my excel 2002 spreadsheet? Hi do you have high contrast enabled? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Shane561" <Shane561@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C9142740-114B-4478-95B3-28D646203282@microsoft.com... > Why can't I view cell fill colors in my excel 2002 spreadsheet? If the high contrast setting is turned on you won't see the fill colour. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Colour and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.micro...

How to fix a number of rows below the selected cells?
I am working with Excel such that I need to see the values 10 rows below the current selected cell. But whenever I proceed down the worksheet, I eventually left with last row on the screen before the worksheet scrolls and stay there. How can I set a minimum number of rows to always appear below my selected cell? Currently the scroll lock has the desired effect, only the scroll lock never move the selected cells in response to the keyboard. ...

Oulook 2000 Blocking Attachments! Reposted
Hi ONG, I am running Ms-Outlook 2000 Service pack 3, on a Windows pro 2000 Service pack 4. Standalone machine. Recently my mail client has been blocking my email attachments, i have received two replies from the newsgroup describing Level1 security in Outlook, also a link to a site containing all the releative information regarding the subject. But no matter what i try Outlook still wont allow the access to the attachment. I created the new Key and the necessary String Value, i have even tried to use the ( . ) character before the file ext, also i have tried it without the ( .) character, no...

How to Find the Message that contained The Attachment of a Known File-Name.
Is there some way to search through a list of emails in Outlook 2003 to find the one that contains an attachment of a specific file name? I am often trying to track down the message that accompanied an attachment with a known file-name amongst thousands of messages in one mailbox. Regards, AndyH If attached to an Exchange server, I would, as an admin, use a utility server-side. From the client, I'm not sure Outlook can do it on its own. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Some of the desktop search applications have this functionality though. "AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au&g...

attachments do not forward
I want to forward e-mails which come to me with attachments. I want these attachments to forward along with the message and they do not. How can I make this happen? Is there a setting to enable this? ...

OpenXML - Excel - .NET
Hi, I'm using OpnXML to manipulate an existing Excel file. I'm using Visual Studio 2005, and referencing the .NET framework 3, but I cannot use LINQ syntax, I have to navigate thru the structures by using loops. I have 3 questions: 1) Is there a better way to access cells in my case that LINQ is unavailable than looping? 2) When iterating thru the rows, and the cells in each row as below: For Each oRow As Spreadsheet.Row In oRows 'aCells is defined before, outside the loops. aCells = oRow.Descendants(Of Spreadsheet.Cell)() For Each oCell As Spr...

Number of characters to be displayed in a cell
A few weeks ago I have read, in this DG, an answer regarding this issue. I hardly remember the answer but it had to do with "Wrapping" and if the number of characters typed are between X and Y the result will be #######. I will appreciate if anyone can provide a direct link to that thread [I'm sure that who responded, to that question, will be able to locate it for me]. Thanks in advance, Micky Hi Micky, Although it is a lot less ago than a gew weeks, you may mean this one: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/1a66143d294...

the new excel help is horrible!!!! (way to go, limiting comments)
how do I get the previoulsy found HELP to list the typical formulas, or use of special characters, like the & symble in excel. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=102753c7-0f12-402b-9da0-3...

Editing attachments in Outlook XP
If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in the email? Has anyone ever seen it not save the edits at all? It may be in a secure folder under the Temporary Internet Folder as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 "DonnaC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052d01c3be9b$44ebd3a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make > edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in > the email? > Has anyone ever seen it...

attachments.......
Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. Thanks, Crank down the internal message size limits to a value that makes sense to you. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:03:07 -0500, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I >am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. > > >Thanks, > > ...

How do I highlight text in a cell?
Is there a way to highlight specific text within a cell without having to fill color the entire cell. I know Word has a highlighter tool, but I cannot find one in Excel. Thanks for any information! Hi - select the cell - hit F2 and in the formula bar select only the characters you want to change (e.g. different font color) - now goto 'Format - cells' and change the appearance -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany PeppiS wrote: > Is there a way to highlight specific text within a cell without > having to fill color the entire cell. I know Word has a highlighter > to...

Average Cells above 0
Hi Everone! I'm trying to average a group of cells, but only the cells over 0. I tried this - =average(if(i2515:i5043)>0,i2515:i5043)). I also entered it as an array but it still didn't work. Please help! -- Thanks! Stephen Try... =AVERAGE(IF(I2515:I5043>0,I2515:I5043)) Hope this helps! In article <03A38E40-9F48-4881-8634-4CB95FC514FA@microsoft.com>, "Stephen" <Stephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi Everone! I'm trying to average a group of cells, but only the cells over 0. > I tried this - =average(if(i2515:i5043)>0,i2515:i504...

Have to scroll to see full list of attachments in Outlook 2007?
A colleague of mine keeps sending me HTML emails in Outlook with multiple attachments, but the full list of attachments does not appear all at once on the screen. There is a scroll bar on the FAR right next to the attachments, and you have to scroll down through the list of attachments to see all of the attachments (I can send a screen shot to better explain this). So for example, if an email has four attachments, I only see the first three on the screen, and then I have to scroll down to see the fourth attachment. This is very confusing as I can easily "miss" an attach...

INDEX-MATCH with cell text driven names
Hi, I've read through a few posts that are close to what I'm trying to do but i can't get it to work. I'm constructing a fantasy F1 spreadsheet while i'm bored off work sick. Sheetnames in workbook DriverSummary, AUS, MAL, CHN, BHR,.....for each round/country of the season. Each sheet race sheet has a column for car number in called AUSarray, MALarray etc. AUSREF is cell A1 on the race sheets My current formula in the diver summary works well and is shown below. I have N() to return 0 when a race hasn't happened yet so that my sum() works. =N(OFFSET(AUSREF;MATCH($A4;AUS...

print out messages with list of attachments
Hello there, when printing out a message/email in full, how do I get outlook t print the list of attachments? Cheers, Wi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com found it in the newsgroups :-) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821840 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Referencing the name of a worksheet in a cell
hello excel gurus... I would like to have a string of text that incorporates the name of on the worksheet tab. I have a series of worksheet that are all very similar, it is just one word in the title that changes and that is what I will be naming the worksheet. Is there a way that I can have that cell reference the tab name, so that I only have to name it once and not twice. Thanks! -Bob Bob, Not sure if you want to get the cell from the tab name, or set the tab name from the cell value. So, if the former =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename&qu...