Append text to each cell

Is there a way to append text to the beginning of and end of a group of
cells that have different text entries in them. I want to paste a standard
statement at the beginning of each cell without modifying the existing text.
I also want to do the same at the end of each cell?

0
djlajoie (5)
10/24/2004 7:21:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try this idea.
sub addfrontandback()
for each cel in selection
cel.value ="putthisinfront" & c & "putthisinback"
next
end sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"D-a-n_L" <djlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to append text to the beginning of and end of a group of
> cells that have different text entries in them. I want to paste a standard
> statement at the beginning of each cell without modifying the existing
text.
> I also want to do the same at the end of each cell?

0
Don
10/24/2004 7:46:38 PM
dan

="text" & cellref & "text"

Drag/copy that formula to other cells in range.

Note:  the quotes " are necessary as above.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:21:21 -0700, "D-a-n_L" <djlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to append text to the beginning of and end of a group of
>cells that have different text entries in them. I want to paste a standard
>statement at the beginning of each ce      llwithoutmodifyingtheexistingtext.
>I also want to do the same at the end of each cell?

0
Gord
10/24/2004 7:48:40 PM
A small typo:

sub addfrontandback()
for each cel in selection
  cel.value ="putthisinfront" & cel.value & "putthisinback"
next
end sub

Don Guillett wrote:

> try this idea.
> sub addfrontandback()
> for each cel in selection
> cel.value ="putthisinfront" & c & "putthisinback"
> next
> end sub
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> donaldb@281.com
> "D-a-n_L" <djlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to append text to the beginning of and end of a group of
> > cells that have different text entries in them. I want to paste a standard
> > statement at the beginning of each cell without modifying the existing
> text.
> > I also want to do the same at the end of each cell?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
>A small typo:
>
> sub addfrontandback()
> for each cel in selection
>  cel.value ="putthisinfront" & cel.value & "putthisinback"
> next
> end sub
>

> Don Guillett wrote:
>>
>> try this idea.
>> sub addfrontandback()
>> for each cel in selection
>> cel.value ="putthisinfront" & c & "putthisinback"
>> next
>> end sub
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> SalesAid Software
>> donaldb@281.com
>> "D-a-n_L" <djlajoie@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to append text to the beginning of and end of a group of
>> > cells that have different text entries in them. I want to paste a
>> > standard
>> > statement at the beginning of each cell without modifying the existing
>> text.
>> > I also want to do the same at the end of each cell?
>> >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
djlajoie (5)

Text size while reading HTML-formatted msgs
Is there any way to either force a specific font when reading html- or rich text-formatted e-mails or to specify that the fonts in these messages are always displayed at the "Largest" setting? My boss keeps getting emails in 8 or 10 pt arial, and is really annoyed with having to go into the view menu for each msg to increase the displayed font size (he would prefer to just read everything in 16 pt Tahoma). TIA. Tom ...

Text not displayed when cell formatted as text.
I ran into a really bizarre problem today, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it. I had a cell which was formatted as text (wrap text on). I filled it up when typing, but there was still space left in the cell. However, upon moving focus to another cell, the first cell showed ####, as if it couldn't display all the text. Changing the font size had no effect. I simply had smaller ### displayed. I had to decrease the amount of text in the cell before it would be displayed. Here's the kicker, when I changed the cell format to General, the text displayed properly, an...

color change in cell
trying to figure out how to change a color of the writing in a whole cell I can not figire it out. Hi do you mena 'Format - cells' and change the font color?? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Claresa wrote: > trying to figure out how to change a color of the writing in a whole > cell I can not figire it out. ...

i get text from one email reciepient no pictures, what is wrong?
no pics just text <no pics just text@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> With absolutely no information from you, no one can asnwer. -- Brian Tillman ...

UML use case text not wrapping
Has anybody find an answer to the problem of the text not wrapping ? I saw several posts, but no answers, is the answer to obvious to post? The word "connection" becomes connectio n. Not pretty. I cant show this to my team of programmers...Changing the protection to allow "width and height" changes, does nothing. There seems to be noway to resize these animals! You can unprotect the shape and chane the size of the shape, text box or both. Protection is on the Format menu, you may have to open the shapesheet for other protection settings. John... Visio MVP Ne...

Text box moves around
I have inserted a text box into an embedded chart. When the chart is activated (clicked on), the text box is in the position I want it. But as soon as the chart is de-activated (i click somewhere else in the spreadsheet), the text box repositions itself up and to the left. When I click back on the chart it moves back into the correct position, and so on. I might add that if the zoom is set at 100% then the text box stays where it should. If it is not at 100%, then the problem happens. If I zoom in and out, the text box does not resize along with the chart, and ends up in wrong pla...

Query Delete and append
I am trying to add information to a table with an append query and that works fine since I duplicated the table. The information comes from a linked XLS sheet, I need to delete the information and replace it every day. When I created a delete query it works fine but when I try to add the information again using the append query it does not work unless I open the query in design view, save it and run it. I have dozens of other queries doing the same and they all work fine. What am I doing wrong? I looks like I am getting a 3349 error but why does it work once and then when I delete the ...

replacing text in all cells with existing text plus something
Hi, I have a sheet with several rows and columns containing text. I would like to add similar text to all the cells after the existing text. Is there an easy way to do that? thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/commu...

Appending worksheets
Hello, I have a huge workbook with some 200 worksheets (Excel 2002) and wouldlike to create one single worksheet by appending the data on all worksheets one after another. Is there an easy way to do this without programming a macro? Thanks so much. Provided the total data rows do not exceed 65535 (assuming a standard top row for col labels), one way would be sequential manual copy > paste into a single new sheet placed to the left of the 200 source sheets. At an est 15 sec per manual op, 200 sheets would only take roughly an hour of work to accomplish. Thereafter, to clean up, jus...

Append and Append To priviliges
Anybody know what these two priviliges do for a record?? Jay Append allows a user to be able to add items to an object for example you can append an address to an account. Append to allows a user to append this object to something else. You would need append to priv on the address object. They work together. "Jay Mehta" <jay.mehta@conexio.com> wrote in message news:b6caea5f.0310311043.682d756c@posting.google.com... > Anybody know what these two priviliges do for a record?? > > Jay So, in the example you gave of appending an Address object to an Account object,...

Table cell background not showing
I made a html-page with microsoft Frontpage to use as an Outlook template. I saved it in Outlook as an .oft-file and looks good when I compose a new message. However, the receiver of the message will not see the background I have in one of the table cells. I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem but I discovered that you cannot have a background in an MS Word table cell. Any help will be appreciated. >-----Original Message----- >I made a html-page with microsoft Frontpage to use as an Outlook >template. I saved it in Outlook as an .oft-file and looks good when ...

Load ws cell data into a textbox via click on chart datapoint
Not sure if this is a chart question or programming question. If I have data in a worksheet like this: A B C 1 Date Number Text 2 2 Dec 2000 234 Sunny Day 3 1 Dec 2000 117 Wrecked My Car and I create a line chart, I'd like to be able to hover or click the mouse on the data point in the chart and have the text from column C load into a textbox (the text may be many paragraphs long). Are there any ways to do this, either with VBA, C# or other techniques? Thanks, Paul Tushar Mehta has a utilit...

Text Browser
Can you open NOTEPAD or WORDPAD readonly? I tried setting the default program for some DOS info files as the old VIEWS program or the LYNX browser and XP won't allow it. I also tried Internet Explorer, which is too slow to start up. I'm just afraid opening with NOTEPAD will accidentally change something while I am searching. - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means priva...

append query with dtae and username
I am using an append query to add a new line to my table - one of the field in this table is "Update_Date" and one is "Updated_By". How via this query I can populated those two fields with the current date&Time and current username of the user . Many thanks, Dan Please ignore- wrong Group, sorry "Dan" wrote: > I am using an append query to add a new line to my table - one of the field > in this table is "Update_Date" and one is "Updated_By". > How via this query I can populated those two fields with the current ...

Re-Post Append to Append Query
Hi there, Awhile back, I posted about the following: Have a main form and sub form. When generate a new form, fill in the main form and tab to sub-form, an append query is executed that populates the questions and possible answers for the questionnaire selected in the main form. The user then selects there response. Now, however, additional questions have been added. This means I need to execute some kind of additional append query that will ignore question ids that have already been populated, and add new ones. As he so often does, Allen Brown very kindly posted responses and I ha...

Requiring a cell password
I require a password to be entered if a cell value created by a formula exceeds a certain preset value. Also can I use validation rules or something else that requires users to enter a value or text into a cell? Thanks. Hi in general possible. (using either worksheet_change or worksheet_claculate events). But you may provide some more details. - the formula you are suing - what should happen if the user does not have the password? For the validation rules have a look at 'Data - Validation' >-----Original Message----- >I require a password to be entered if a cell value cr...

Max Text for CEdit ?
Hi guys, I tried pasting a lot of characters into a CEdit but it got truncated and I couldn't type anything else in. It wasn't a huge amount of characters, just source from a web page that can easily be viewed in Notepad. What's going on ? Can I fix it ? Thanks, Robert Hi Robert, "Robert A." wrote: > Hi guys, > > I tried pasting a lot of characters into a CEdit but it got truncated and I > couldn't type anything else in. It wasn't a huge amount of characters, just > source from a web page that can easily be viewed in Notepad. > > ...

How do I change chart cell from pixel to inch?
I am trying to modify a chart sent to me. Cell width is in pixels. How can I change it to inches. Brenda, Perhaps this site can help. It gives a pixels to inches conversion. http://209.196.177.41/01/01-09.htm ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Brenda" wrote: > I am trying to modify a chart sent to me. Cell width is in pixels. How can > I change it to inches. Brenda - You mean cell width or chart width is in pixels? Where are you reading this size? It's probably in points, by the way, not pixels. There are 72 points to the inch, and dependin...

text styles
how to remove latin and asian styles? SIU <SIU@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > how to remove latin and asian styles? Latin fonts are a core component of Windows, as they are required for displaying English text. East Asian styles can be uninstalled through the Regional Settings area of the Control Panel in Windows. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Pub2007
New to Pub2007 and trying to create web page. Not all of the text shows when I web-preview the page; the text/page gets cut off. Generally, it's the last 5 or 6 lines that are cut off. would appreciate some suggestions. Tks, Bert "Bert" wrote: > New to Pub2007 and trying to create web page. Not all of the text shows when > I web-preview the page; the text/page gets cut off. Generally, it's the last > 5 or 6 lines that are cut off. would appreciate some suggestions. > > Tks, Bert I can be more specific now. I decided to start from scratch, as I...

Diagonal Cells
Can somebody please tell me how to make a cell look diagonal. Format / Cells / Alignment / Drag the Orientation bar so it is at 45 degrees and then apply a border for a more vivid effect. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Traci" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Streaming rich text
I have finally been able to stream rich text to the monitor and have noticed a problem. When I stream rich text like this <CString line = _T("\\par\\b Tommy");> it works fine, I get a bold Tommy displayed but if I format that string like <CString name = pDoc->name;> // which is a CString name from a form <CString line = (_T("\\par\\b %s"),name);> the rich codes don't do anything. Is there something that I am missing? -- Just Al The examples are not syntactically correct, and the explanation is not coherent. What you are saying is that if you hav...

Get count of append without appending?
I have several append queries. I would like to know how many records each would add to the target table without actually adding those records (the decision as to whether to add or not may be subjective). Is there a way other than duplicating the append queries with a select query? Dick Cleaveland hi Dick, news2@rgcle.com wrote: > Is there a way other than duplicating the append queries with a select > query? No, not really. Option Compare Database Option Explicit Public Sub CountAppending() On Local Error GoTo LocalError Dim db As DAO.Database Set db = CurrentDb B...

internal margin around text in a cell
Hi, all... Within a cell (or the spreadsheet as a whole), is there a way to specify the width of the "internal margin"? I know this can be set for text boxes (separately for top, bottom, right, left), but I have found no reference in Help for doing this in a cell... Where I use a double-line border above a cell, the top of the text actually touches the border. For one column of cells, "Wrap text" is checked, so effective row height is variable from one row to the next. So far, I've managed by manually adjusting each row height and formatting the text to be &q...

Need Workaround for Cell Display Limitation in Excel 2000
Greetings! I am using Excel 2000 and have run up against a limitation in the number of characters a cell will display. According to Excel's help, a cell can contain up to 32,767, but will only display up to 1,024. This, of course, begs the question of why allow a cell to contain 32K when you're only going to allow it to display 1K? Does anyone have an effective workaround for this? I tried some trickery with merging cells, but that didn't seem to help. Also, I'm just curious, but does this same limitation exist in subsequent versions of Office? Thanks in advance! -- K...