Anyone use MrExcel.com? Just a comment...

Hello all,

I'm in and out of this newsgroup from time to time, but occasionally I visit
the MrExcel message
board. I've been a member for about two years now, and at least 95% of my
posts are in response
to someone who needs help. Maybe 2 or 3 times I've actually had to ask
something, and I've been
using Excel since the mid 90's or so (about when it first came out I think).
If I HAVE to ask a
question, it's generally pretty intense as there aren't that many things I
cannot figure out on my own
or with the Help files. So, a couple of weeks ago I ran across a post on
there (MrExcel, not this
group) which someone had asked a question about highlighting rows on two
monitors running XL,
and the poster said something that didn't make obvious sense. The poster had
substituted the word
"loose" for "lose", and that always throws me off (since I don't read
"loose" as "lose"), and I did my
best to inform them that there are two separate words spelled similarly
without being rude about it or
anything, and was hoping that others who make that mistake constantly would
learn from it as well.

There is a foreign language forum there as well, so if they were a
non-native English speaker they
could have easily taken it there, however it did appear the poster had a
good control of the language
with the exception of the "loose" and "lose" thing. Next thing I know, my
post is deleted by one of the
nasty Admins of the board, who also had nasty things to say to me! Then, yet
another of these alleged
Admins lambasted the hell out of me for the same thing. Yes, I've been known
to make a typo on
occasion, but I see this same mistake so many times that it drives me crazy.
I just wanted people to
know, and even told one of the a-holes that, to which he replied something
like "no, people do NOT
need to know, and that's my point" which I thought was ridiculous (he
probably does it too, writing
"loose" for "lose", and was p-d off about that). I can't reason with these
guys, who go by NateO and
Joe4 I believe, and they ALWAYS have to have the last word, so it's just
senseless to keep replying
to them. I tried to find a way to remove my subscription to the board, and
even told Joe4 if he didn't
like it to just ban me, but he did not. The NateO guy thinks he is like a
God or something so I don't
even reply to him, and I've made a good deal of contributions to that
message board and have many
"thank you"s to prove it, but evidently it makes no difference to them.

Just wanted to warn anyone who might be using that board or thinking about
joining that these two
guys are EXTREMELY ANAL, so don't say anything that doesn't pertain to XL if
you go there. I'd
rather that they had posted all this on the public board, but they are
evidently cowards and didn't want
the rest of the board to see what kind of anal a-holes that they are, so
they sent it as private messages!
Now, I'm considering posting their private messages to me so everyone can
see how anal they are.

Sorry, sometimes you just need to rant a little.

--

G.

0
gwmorris61 (19)
4/9/2009 4:41:28 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.aspx

--
Steve

"GMorris" <gwmorris61@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> God or something so I don't
> even reply to him, and I've made a good deal of contributions to that
> message board and have many
> "thank you"s to prove it, but evidently it makes no difference to them.
>
> Just wanted to warn anyone who might be using that board or thinking about
> joining that these two
> guys are EXTREMELY ANAL, so don't say anything that doesn't pertain to XL
> if you go there. I'd
> rather that they had posted all this on the public board, but they are
> evidently cowards and didn't want
> the rest of the board to see what kind of anal a-holes that they are, so
> they sent it as private messages!
> Now, I'm considering posting their private messages to me so everyone can
> see how anal they are.
>
> Sorry, sometimes you just need to rant a little.

0
AltaEgo
4/10/2009 12:08:24 AM
As I said, I've been using newsgroups and bulletin boards
for quite some time now.

All I wanted was to warn people about those guys who, up
until now, have been no problem but are now trying to
devour me like I were an Italian sausage or something. For
merely pointing out that a post was difficult to decipher as
the words were not the correct ones. I can get past the
occasional typo, and I make a few sometimes, but those are
two different words and it always throws me off when people
substitute "loose" for "lose". That's all I was saying.

"AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.aspx
>
> --
> Steve

0
gwmorris61 (19)
4/10/2009 1:06:02 PM
"GMorris" <gwmorris61@hotpop.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to warn anyone [...] that
> these two guys are EXTREMELY ANAL

Whoa!  Certainly not your problem. :-) :-)

> [...]
> God or something so I don't
> even reply to him, and I've made a good deal of contributions to that
> message board and have many
> "thank you"s to prove it, but evidently it makes no difference to them.
>
> Just wanted to warn anyone who might be using that board or thinking about
> joining that these two
> guys are EXTREMELY ANAL, so don't say anything that doesn't pertain to XL
> if you go there. I'd
> rather that they had posted all this on the public board, but they are
> evidently cowards and didn't want
> the rest of the board to see what kind of anal a-holes that they are, so
> they sent it as private messages!
> Now, I'm considering posting their private messages to me so everyone can
> see how anal they are.
>
> Sorry, sometimes you just need to rant a little.

I know nothing about the perspective of the people you indicate caused
offence. That being the case, I can neither condemn nor support you. Just
suggest it is a good idea to let some things go past without comment and use
your bozo bin if you cannot handle the personal flaws of specific posters.

--

> As I said, I've been using newsgroups and bulletin boards
> for quite some time now.
>
> All I wanted was to warn people about those guys who, up
> until now, have been no problem but are now trying to
> devour me like I were an Italian sausage or something. For
> merely pointing out that a post was difficult to decipher as
> the words were not the correct ones. I can get past the
> occasional typo, and I make a few sometimes, but those are
> two different words and it always throws me off when people
> substitute "loose" for "lose". That's all I was saying.
>
> "AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Steve

0
AltaEgo
4/11/2009 12:10:52 AM
Sorry man, if you've been on the internet for a while, you should have long
since given up any hopes of single-handedly raising the level of spelling
and grammar proficiency of fellow netizens.

About the forum moderators, I'm gonna have to side with them on this one,
and in fact pretty much any moderation issue. As the arbiters of what goes
and what doesn't, it's really all upto them. We don't have any say in
whether our messages get deleted or not, no matter how long we've been on a
forum. If they went out of their way to scold you, without provocation, even
after deleting your message, then that reflects poorly on them. But in
general, you just can't complain on a public community if the
owners/moderators decide to censor you.

"GMorris" <gwmorris61@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> As I said, I've been using newsgroups and bulletin boards
> for quite some time now.
>
> All I wanted was to warn people about those guys who, up
> until now, have been no problem but are now trying to
> devour me like I were an Italian sausage or something. For
> merely pointing out that a post was difficult to decipher as
> the words were not the correct ones. I can get past the
> occasional typo, and I make a few sometimes, but those are
> two different words and it always throws me off when people
> substitute "loose" for "lose". That's all I was saying.
>
> "AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Steve

Since we are talking about MrExcel.com, does anyone know of gauge/speedometer
add-in software that Microsoft might have out there?

I see a ton of software for gauge/speedometers but was wondering if
Microsoft came out with their own. Also is is compatible with 2003 and 2007
versions of Excel?

"GMorris" wrote:

> [...]
> God or something so I don't
> even reply to him, and I've made a good deal of contributions to that
> message board and have many
> "thank you"s to prove it, but evidently it makes no difference to them.
>
> Just wanted to warn anyone who might be using that board or thinking about
> joining that these two
> guys are EXTREMELY ANAL, so don't say anything that doesn't pertain to XL if
> you go there. I'd
> rather that they had posted all this on the public board, but they are
> evidently cowards and didn't want
> the rest of the board to see what kind of anal a-holes that they are, so
> they sent it as private messages!
> Now, I'm considering posting their private messages to me so everyone can
> see how anal they are.
>
> Sorry, sometimes you just need to rant a little.

anyone knows
presently I am using Excel 2000. For file open I use ^O or open fro file menu, a box appeared from where I can select file for open. Lef side of this box some shortcuts are there to reach a specific locatio such as "History", "Mydocument", "Desktop", "Favorities" etc. I want to add my locations (directory) so that I can reach there fast. How I can do? thanks in advance. S Kara -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can use the Places COM add-in from Microsoft: INFO: Office Developer Samples and Tools Available for Download http:...

Problem using FOXPRO Free Tables from Access 2000
I'm using Access 2000 linking FoxPro Tables via ODBC When I link tables with numeric fields Access gives me an error: "The Decimal field's precision is too small to accept the numeric you attempted to add." I find this problem in "Knowledge Base" I update my Windows XP to Jet 4.0 SP8 with Mdac 2.8 RMT and the last version of FoxPro ODBC Driver and but the problem is the same. Any help appreciated. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- ACC2000: Scaling Errors When You Query Linked Tables PSS ID Number: 270...

Important task using visio
Hi, I have a very important presentation to give and am planning to give using visio but however am new to visio environment. Thepresentation is about say the task carried by 2 companies during a project that is the 2 companies share different responsibilities during project implementation The flow is: Comany A Task 1 Comapany B Task 2 Task 3 Company A Task 4 Company B Task 5 Task 6 The flow can be analogous to a computer program flow Can anyone help me how 2 implement in visio?? Hello Raj, There's the main Visio 2007 Help and How-to page over here: http://office.microsof...

Anyone?
Anyone? In news:1121087669.975314.186420@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, Zack Schneeberger <schneebie1@**** > typed: > Anyone? Yes? ...

[SOFT TOOL EXE DLL ISO C PHP NIX WIN CISCO] search & download === www.GEGEREKA.com
Project of the year: Incredible unique search machine like nothing on earth. any kind of useful data: WIN,NIX,CISCO,MAC,DLL,PHP,EXE,ISO, ...and much more Millions files for everyone. Also music, movies and other media. http://www.GEGEREKA.com : THE LORD OF DOWNLOADS. ...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...

Anyone know what a
stick graph is? Is it similar to a candlestick graph? Kids have to do one for homework and nobody seems to know what it is! Rob Graham Hi Rob, Is it possibly a xy scatter where the points are not connected to each other but with the x axis. Looks sort of like a column chart with very thin bars. Where the x axis is a value axis and not the usual category type. If so plot your x and y values as a normal scatter chart , points only. The add negative Y error bars to the series. Use custom values and select the y values. This should then drop vertical lines to the x axis. Rob Graham wrote...

Using the Address Function
I need to get data from several workbooks so I often use the "INDIRECT(ADDRESS" function and reference a variable in a cell for the worksheet name. Now I am trying to access workbooks in other directories. I have tried everyway I can think of to get the full path of the workbook into a variable that will work. So far, no luck. Here is what I want to access: 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\# PROJECT MANAGER\! Current Projects\1 P652 FNC\[Update.xls]To Updates'!$A$2 I need last folder (1 P652 FNC) to be a varible that the ADDRESS function wil...

data validation using wildcards??
I have a need to cross reference and validate a listing of GL account codes (12 numeric digits) with an "account filter" table that is formatted with wild cards and bring back one of the fields in the account filter table. The original data table can be '000s of rows so I would like to find a way to automate this as much as possible. Here some sample data: Raw data table: ACCT 731013000804 731510000901 731511000301 731511000340 731511000806 731513000801 For each of these account codes (and thousands more), I would like to cross reference agai...

Anyone?
I am making a list of names that I will be ranking and need to be able to move them up and down the list frenquently in a timely mannor. How do I create a list that I can click on a name then drag and drop it into another spot on the list, as aposed to cutting and inserting? ...

using TODAY() in MS Query?
I have a query built in MS Query. I'd like to set it up so it returns results only from the previous month (e.g., for this month it would only return results from January). I tried to set the criteria for the date field to >EOMONTH(TODAY(),-2) AND <= EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1) but MS query does not recognize the TODAY() function. Is there something else i can use? rachael MS Query uses Date() instead of Today() Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "rachael" wrote: > I have a query built in MS Query. I'd like to set it up so it returns resul...

True Memory Use
Helloa, I have developed a app using MFC, dialog based and using dynamically linked MFC libs instead of static. My EXE size is about 300kb (release mode) and yet the task mgr says its using closer to 7MB - I understand that the MFC code may take a fair bit, and the std 1MB for the stack. Is there a way to find out the exact memory usage? (taskmgr seems to fib) as I am trying to work out the system requirements for running 10, 50, 100 copies of this program etc. - Mark R > Is there a way to find out the exact memory usage? Try using Performance Monitor. In Run, type "perfmo...

using iif but coming up with error#
ok i have the if down but its causing me a brain drain lol i want to divide my hours utilised by the amunt of pallets moved but all its coming out with is an error# sign PPH: IIf([Delivery Type]="Palletised",[hours]/[pallets]) PPH = pallets per Hour any ideas There are two things that stand out. First, you have no False condition specified in your IIf. That is what value to assign if [Delivery Type]<>"Palletised" The other is that you cannot divide by zero or Null. You need to include code to transform the values of 0 and Null for the divisor and you need ...

Has anyone been able to write an if/then formula in excell?
Has anyone been able to write an If/Then formula in Excell? (e.g. If A5=21, then B35=10/21/04) Hi in cell B35 enter =IF(A5=21,DATE(2004,10,21),"") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "KirkF" <KirkF@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8E5F75BB-F4F3-4853-97A5-7FEB7AC4C8CB@microsoft.com... > Has anyone been able to write an If/Then formula in Excell? (e.g. If A5=21, > then B35=10/21/04) No. You can't write a formula that will affect another cell. You' need to use VBA code for that -- firefyt ----------------------------...

select the number of rows using shortcut keys
Not able to select the number of rows using shortcut keys (SHIFT+DOWNARROW OR UPARROW) So what happens when you hit SHIFT + Downarrow? Should move down and select the next row as well as start row. SHIFT + END + Downarrow should select to next blank row. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:03:01 -0800, Naidu Samudrala <Naidu Samudrala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Not able to select the number of rows using shortcut keys (SHIFT+DOWNARROW OR >UPARROW) ...

Anyone else?
Does anyone else have any suggestions for this dillema that I find myself in? Thanks in advance, MC The only thing that I can gather from your post is that you need to use the spelling checker. The grammar could be better too. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Michaelcip" <Michaelcip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6EF553F-9538-44EE-BC74-127081A880F4@microsoft.com... > Doe...

Creating and using a Deleted folder
I am using outlook 2002 and when an item is deleted it shows as the item with a line thur it. Is there anyway to have the deleted item moved to a deleted folder. I am running outlook with 3 connections. Two I IMAP and one with MS exchange. The exchange one does have a deleted folder but the others don't Scott Adams <adamsfour@aol.com> wrote: > I am using outlook 2002 and when an item is deleted it > shows as the item with a line thur it. Is there anyway to > have the deleted item moved to a deleted folder. No. That's the way IMAP works. -- Brian Tillman ...

Using Narrator, Accessibility
I'm trying to help a colleague who needs to use Microsoft Narrator to read email messages. The question is how to control what Narrator reads. Ideally, one could select a passage and Narrator would read just that. Any help or pointing to another Newsgroup would be appreciated. ...

Can I use 1 license from Mac Office for PC?
I have 2 copies of Office for home and Student, 1 MAC and 1 PC. Can I use 1 MAC license # on a PC? (making 2 on MACs and 4 on PCs) In article <F65768A8-B862-42F9-9549-21F1A3985125@microsoft.com>, Clof wrote: > I have 2 copies of Office for home and Student, 1 MAC and 1 PC. Can I use 1 > MAC license # on a PC? (making 2 on MACs and 4 on PCs) No, Mac licenses can't be used on PCs. No. You cannot use a Mac license on a PC -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

using clip art as a back drop on page
Publisher 2007 I want to use clip art as a shaded back ground, whereby being able to read the text superimposed over the clip art. Make sense? Yes. And your question is...? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Toddy Poddy" <Toddy Poddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AE3AD9B-A90D-422D-A8B2-0568C9A13CDC@microsoft.com... > Publisher 2007 > I want to use clip art as a shaded back ground, whereby being able to read > the text superimposed over the clip art. Make sense? Is...

Anyone on the inside know when Yukon is coming?
How about pricing as well? I'm really interested in the 'native' xml capabilities. Updating at the node-level especially. Not much has been disclosed. Details will be unveilded at the PDC in October, Attendants will get a beta version. They may be setting a target release date once they collected enough feedback from the closed beta that's going on right now. -- HTH Christoph Schittko [MVP] Software Architect, .NET Mentor "Baseman" <nospam_productdata@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:PbQ4b.15021$j26.10001@lakeread02... > How about pricing as well? I'...

query Exchange using LDP
Which attributes would I query if I wanted to return a list of users and their login time from Exchange. It's like this: In Mailbox>>Logons of a server, Exchange Manager lists Logon time and Last Access Time. How can I run a query using the resource kit application LDP, returning these values? All assistance is appreciated Savvy95 MCT, MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA You can't get that info out of AD, mailbox access info is maintained in the store on the mailbox servers, you will need to write a script that uses WMI to enumerate that information. Please see the Windows Server Cookb...

Unable to use SetFocus on boolean field
I have a boolean field in one of my forms and it does not appear to have the Crm javascript method SetFocus implemented or at least calling that method results in an error. The method is in the crm sdk listed under the available methods for all field types. The methode does work for textbox fields. so: crmForm.all.some_textbox.SetFocus(); >> works crmForm.all.some_boolean_field.SetFocus(); >> throws an exception Possible Bug? -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT www.aviva-it.nl ------=_NextPart_0001_3FA405FE Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encod...

Creating a CWnd in another thread and use it in main thread
Hello, in my app I have a window (CFrameWnd derived) which takes some time to be created. Also it should exist only once so I use a singleton to access it. I would like to run the window creation in the background so that when I need it it appears instantly. I use a thread to create the window. The creation runs fine but when the main thread wants to use the created window (through the singleton) the HWND is not valid. I have read a lot of stuff about this but can't find a solution to my issue. Has anyone some hints to share? Regards, Nicolas "Nicolas Bonamy" <mynab@hotm...

Is there anyone ?
Hi: Is there anyone who can be my friend? we can talk eachother and have fun. Thanks in advance. Edwin, You've posted this plea in a forum dedicated to support of the Access database program, which is part of some versions of MS Office. Unless you want to ask questions about MS Access, this is the wrong place. Please search out a chat or social networking forum, such as MyFace and try there. Best of luck. George "Edwin" <zcoolzc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5AAE16D7-2B5B-4679-99BA-DE20B94F0C22@microsoft.com... > Hi: > Is ...