Any way to get around the number of columns limitation?

I'm pretty sure there's not, but figured I'd ask anyway. ;)

I have a charting workbook that has grown to very probably needing more than
the 256 columns of data  to do all the charting.  At least for it to
continue doing it the way it is.  I was hoping this particular deal I'm
doing right now would stop prior to running out of columns, but it's not
looking like it will.

Any help?

Thanks!
Shawn

0
sleap (6)
10/7/2005 5:33:26 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Wait for the next version of excel???

16K columns by 1 meg of rows.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Some of my favs:

Number of conditional format conditions on a cell
Old Limit: 3 conditions
New Limit: Limited by available memory

The maximum length of formulas (in characters)
Old Limit: 1k characters
New Limit: 8k characters

The number of levels of nesting that Excel allows in formulas
Old Limit: 7
New Limit: 64

Maximum number of arguments to a function
Old Limit: 30
New Limit: 255

Lots of good info at that link.

Biff

> Wait for the next version of excel???
>
> 16K columns by 1 meg of rows.
>
> 43fan wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure there's not, but figured I'd ask anyway. ;)
>>
>> I have a charting workbook that has grown to very probably needing more
>> than
>> the 256 columns of data  to do all the charting.  At least for it to
>> continue doing it the way it is.  I was hoping this particular deal I'm
>> doing right now would stop prior to running out of columns, but it's not
>> looking like it will.
>>
>> Any help?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Shawn
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
biffinpitt (3172)
10/8/2005 3:44:16 AM
Biff wrote...
>http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx
>
>Some of my favs:
>
>Number of conditional format conditions on a cell
>Old Limit: 3 conditions
>New Limit: Limited by available memory
>
>The maximum length of formulas (in characters)
>Old Limit: 1k characters
>New Limit: 8k characters
>
>The number of levels of nesting that Excel allows in formulas
>Old Limit: 7
>New Limit: 64
>
>Maximum number of arguments to a function
>Old Limit: 30
>New Limit: 255

Some of these more useful than others. Much longer formulas aren't
necessarily all that useful given the current formula bar. A 4K formula
should be able to cover the entire visible worksheet area under
1024x768 resolution and a reasonable default type size.

Arguments to functions also aren't that big a deal. It'll only benefit
the aggregation functions, SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, etc. that accept
variable numbers of arguments. Will udfs share these specs? If so, I
don't know whether I'd look forward to passing a ParamArray argument to
a udf.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
10/8/2005 8:42:16 AM
I can't wait to see the first application of 64 nested levels of:

SUBSTITUTE or IF

Biff

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> Biff wrote...
>>http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx
>>
>>Some of my favs:
>>
>>Number of conditional format conditions on a cell
>>Old Limit: 3 conditions
>>New Limit: Limited by available memory
>>
>>The maximum length of formulas (in characters)
>>Old Limit: 1k characters
>>New Limit: 8k characters
>>
>>The number of levels of nesting that Excel allows in formulas
>>Old Limit: 7
>>New Limit: 64
>>
>>Maximum number of arguments to a function
>>Old Limit: 30
>>New Limit: 255
>
> Some of these more useful than others. Much longer formulas aren't
> necessarily all that useful given the current formula bar. A 4K formula
> should be able to cover the entire visible worksheet area under
> 1024x768 resolution and a reasonable default type size.
>
> Arguments to functions also aren't that big a deal. It'll only benefit
> the aggregation functions, SUM, COUNT, AVERAGE, etc. that accept
> variable numbers of arguments. Will udfs share these specs? If so, I
> don't know whether I'd look forward to passing a ParamArray argument to
> a udf.

0
biffinpitt (3172)
10/8/2005 6:17:32 PM
43fan wrote:
> I'm pretty sure there's not, but figured I'd ask anyway. ;)
>
> I have a charting workbook that has grown to very probably needing more than
> the 256 columns of data  to do all the charting.  At least for it to
> continue doing it the way it is.  I was hoping this particular deal I'm
> doing right now would stop prior to running out of columns, but it's not
> looking like it will.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks!
> Shawn

Current version of Quattro Pro will give you many more columns -- no
need to wait. I assume you're already using more than 256 rows for your
data. If not, transpose data.

Bill
0
billsharpe (44)

Changing credit limit
How can I change the credit limit that is specified for existing credit accounts? Thanks. Highlight the Account in Account List and click on it. Click on Change Account Settings. Click on Change Credit Details. You will have to scroll down a lot on the Account Settings page to see this. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to...

How do I get started with Outlook?
I am trying to use outlook and I just can't get it to work. I put in an e-mail address and all that but whenever I go to send an e-mail it automatically goes to my outbox. What am I doing wrong? "LauraAshly" <LauraAshly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F311444-011A-4818-9252-1D35FE74CA08@microsoft.com... >I am trying to use outlook and I just can't get it to work. I put in an > e-mail address and all that but whenever I go to send an e-mail it > automatically goes to my outbox. What am I doing wrong? When you say "I put in an e-mai...

How to get POS out of Evaluation Mode?
Both of my POS softwares are running in evaluation mode. When I log in a message pops up saying I'm operating on a license that is due to expire in September and therefore it is running in evaluation mode. How do I get POS out of evaluation mode and does it have anything to do with my license? Yes, it has something to do with your license. Insert the license dongle in POS register 1. "G E" wrote: > Both of my POS softwares are running in evaluation mode. When I log in a > message pops up saying I'm operating on a license that is due to expire in > Septemb...

how can I compare contents of columns in excel?
I have two excel files viz. file-A and -B. One of the columns of File-A contains chemical names which is also contained in one of the File-B columns.There are a lot more chemical names in the latter file than in the former. What I would like to do is to transfer additional pertinent information from columns in File-B to new columns in File-A on the basis of the chemical names found in File-A. At the end of the exercise I would have a file with the same number of chemicals but with more information. How can I do it? Your help would be much appreciated. Take a look at the =vlookup() ...

Best Way ?
G'day All, Looking for some information. With Outlook you can have all your contacts...address, email address, yada, yada, yada. Can I use this information in to say mail merge with Word and email a letter to the ppl with email addresses? Or is this better done with a Access? The reason I ask is that we want to deliver an email to all our clients with the latest promotions. And want it to be a bit more automated? Any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Have a good one, Scott V You can use either Access or Outlook as the data source for a ma...

255 chr limit in cell
I am exporting a query from Access to Excell - One of the fields is over 255 chrs long and it is being trunkated in Excel Does anyone know a way round the 255 char limit in Excel Thank AlanW I don't speak the Access, but can you split that field up into smaller pieces (while in access). Then retrieve each little bit and recombine? AlanW wrote: > > I am exporting a query from Access to Excell - One of the fields is over 255 chrs long and it is being trunkated in Excel. > Does anyone know a way round the 255 char limit in Excel. > > Thanks > > AlanW -- Dave P...

Add Publish Column to Enterprise Template
I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? -- Carla Evans Presbyterian Health Plan Hi Carla, This worked for me. What error message(s) did you get? -- Thanks, Ben. Microsoft Most Valuable Professional http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/ "Carla Evans" wrote: > I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise > project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? > -- > Carla Evans > Presbyterian Healt...

is there a way to crop a corner out of a rectangular image in Visi
Using subtract on two shapes accomplishes what i want to do, but when the first shape is a .gif image, it does not work. No, the "boolean operations", as they're called, do not operate on foreign objects like bitmaps and controls. Visio has crop functionality for imported graphics, but it is only rectangular. You could draw a small white triangle and give it "no line". Then place it over the corner of your bitmap. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D479A6-6099-4051-B7A0-1...

List/Numbering indent issue....
Hello... I am creating a document with numbering/list (i.e. 1., 2., 3.---) and also having images included using text wrap.... but when the images are inserted into the desired places the numbering/list makes an "extra long" space between the number and the text. I have right clicked and chosen adjust list indents and done every possible thing and it tends to change all of them and not getting me the results i need. I am editing text and documents for my boss for production and i need help fast. THX... Unfortunately, there has been an issue with indentation next to...

Create Number From Date
I'm importing large amounts of text into Access and I want to assign a "trace" number to each record. I'd like the trace number to start with the date but in just plain number format. Then I'd like the last part of the number to be automatically incremented. For example records imported on 11/28/07 would have an ID number like: 200711280701 200711280702 200711280703... How can I do this? Thanks for the help! On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:05:35 -0600, "John W" <jw2554@yahoo.com> wrote: >I'm importing large amounts of text into Access and I want...

Replacing numbers
I have a spreadsheet which contains 6 digit numbers (i.e.209111, 209112, 209113). I would like to perform a bulk replace for just the first 3 numbers. Turn 209*** into 210***. Any suggestions? Thanks, Randy select the data>edit replace>209 >210 Just make SURE that 209 doesn't exist anywhere else -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Randy B." <RandyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C2D7690-17A3-4836-8978-A4840725CE1E@microsoft.com... >I have a spreadsheet which contains 6 digit numbers (i.e.209111,...

Variable row number in Sum($A$1:A10) formula
I need to be able to change the length of the string of numbers in a column being added using the Sum formula such as: =Sum($A$1:A10), where A10 is a variable adjusted by a reference to the number of rows to add in an different cell (C1). For instance, if C1 is the reference cell and C1 = 20, the the fomula should automatically change to =Sum($A$1:A20). How can this be accomplished? =SUM(INDIRECT("A1:A"&C1)) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 =SUM(OFFSET(A1,0,0,C1,1)) Entered in B1 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:45:01 -080...

How to get list of namespces ?
How to get list of namespces that are declared in an element ? -- Best regards, Oleg Subachev subachev@ural.ru "Oleg Subachev" <oleg@urvb.ru> wrote in message news:OU4HcHWdEHA.2376@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > How to get list of namespces that are declared in an element ? Given that you have first positioned yourself onto an XmlElement of an XmlDocument, one of the fastest ways is to grab an XPath- Navigator and enumerate the Namespace nodes that are present. XPathNavigator nav = myElement.CreateNavigator( ); if ( nav.MoveToFirstNamespace( ) ) do { ...

customer on hold should get warning on recurring batch posting
If a customer is put on hold after a transaction for it is saved in a recurring batch, the system will still let the user post the batch without any warning. Please include the GP functionality to get a message prompt or warning that the user is posting a batch that includes transaction(s) for batch recurring. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion ...

weighted random numbers
Would appreciated any help on this. I'm looking to create a spreadsheet that can generate weighted random numbers much like professional sports leagues do with their draft lotteries. I play in a league with 20 teams and we have a draft every year. I would like to generate a lottery where the teams that finished near the bottom would have a greater ( say i.e 25%) chance of selecting the 1st pick than the teams that finished near the top. Any input would be appreciated. Thx Jorge Jorge <eisen_h...@yahoo.com> wrote... >Would appreciated any help on this. I'm looking to cr...

Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "isailhbca" <isailhbca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD10F7-FAA0-4102-A4C3-E2697908EFE8@microsoft.com... >...

A way to create sub-categories?

I can't get my letterhead to only appear on the first page of a l.
I can't get my letterhead to only appear on the first page of a letter. I have tried using "different first page", but the letterhead keeps deleting from the first page, but stays on the remainder of the pages. What am I doing wrong. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NumberingFrontMatter.htm (for 2003 and prior) or http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm for details on how to have different Headers and Footers, etc. in one document.Hope this helps DeanH "rlw" wrote: > I can't get my letterhead to only appear ...

How to Get Rid of Surfboard Shim Object View Message
I had to reinstall everything on my computer after a crash. I reinstalled my MS Money 2007. Now every time I click on a tab or want to do something I get this message about Surfboard Shim Object View. I've opened, saved, and cancelled it and it still keeps coming back. How do I get this to stop? Thanx In microsoft.public.money, Toni Black <Toni Black@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I had to reinstall everything on my computer after a crash. I reinstalled my >MS Money 2007. Now every time I click on a tab or want to do something I get >this message about Surf...

When I type numbers in currency all I get is #######
After I type an amount in a cell, it turns to pound signs as soon as I go to the next cell. How can I fix this? Amanda Make the column wider -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "mommy4shane" <mommy4shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CAD94EE-EC45-4C10-9402-DBC94723CCD4@microsoft.com... > After I type an amount in a cell, it turns to pound signs as soon as I go > to > the next cell. How can I fix this? > > Amanda It could mean a few things. 1. The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number. Widen the colu...

Number of Calendar Exeptions
Hello, does someone knows how many exceptions I can have at one calendar? I want to automatically update the resource calendars with nonworking time and wondering wether there is a limitation of entries... Thanks for answering.. Steffen Hello Stephen, Try to find "Project Specifications": Project 2003 : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/HP453051461033.aspx Calendar exceptions per calendar 1,400 Project 2007: Testing was able to add more than 15 000 exceptions to a base calendar. G�rard Ducouret "Steffen" <Steffen@discussions.microsoft...

Getting error in outlook
hi steve here i am getting error in outlook o/s : 98 Error: Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. Errors have been detected in the file C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool. any help would be appreciated >hi steve here >i am getting error in outlook >o/s : 98 > >Error: >Unable to display the folder. >Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. >Errors have been detected in ...

How do I get the gradient at a point on a curved graph?
I have a plot of experimental data and I inserted an exponential trendline that fits the data very well. I'd like to "differentiate" the curve as I need its gradient at certain points; as in I need Excel to draw the tangent to the trendline at a given point and tell me its equation. Can anyone help me do this? Thank you all so much. I don't think Excel knows how to do this as a built in thing. Extract the coefficients of the trendline to a worksheet (using a worksheet function such as LOGEST or a utility that will extract trendline coefficients to a worksheet). Then ...

is there a way to change the time card repor format?
i'm using activereports in RMS to generate a custome timecard report. for my timein and timeout colums, the datatype i have assigned to the columns is vbDate. when I generate the report, the columns only show the date as mm/dd/yyyy, they do not show the time of day piece for exactly when the cashier punched in or out. is there any way to change the formatting of this so that in the report the time shows up? for example, instead of showing 2/6/2005 in the time in column, it would show 2/5/2005 8:00:00 AM. thanks in advance, kevin There is a timecard report on the Reports Library...

Page Numbering Management
Example: If you have a 6 page spreadsheet Is there a way to change the order of page numbering. For instance, pages 1 to 4 will be numbered 1 to 4 (that's the easy part). Problem is: Pages 5 and 6 will have to be numbered 1 and 2 Is that possible, changing the order of page numbering? Ben Excel has a setting in page setup. (file>page setup>page>first page number), set this with a number, eg 5 and it will start with a page number of 5 -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Ben" <anonymous@discussions....