Advanced Filtering - text v numbers

Hello,

I've got a worksheet with four columns, one of which is a user name. I
would like to take all the user names that contain numbers (and their
respective data) and put it into a separate worksheet. So far, I
haven't had any luck doing this with any combination of wildcard
operators.

The format of the user names are two or three letters and then 4
numbers, or they are entirely text. So the list has data like abc1234,
ab1234 and abcdef. I want all the abc1234 and ab1234 entries in a
separate list.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

0
mcg3433 (3)
10/6/2006 3:09:21 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe you could use a helper column and filter by that:

With the username in A1, I could use this array formula in B1 (say):
=OR(ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))

This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it
correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type
them yourself.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Maybe you could use a helper column and filter by that:
>
> With the username in A1, I could use this array formula in B1 (say):
> =OR(ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))
>

> This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it
> correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type
> them yourself.)
>

> Operation5PM wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've got a worksheet with four columns, one of which is a user name. I
> > would like to take all the user names that contain numbers (and their
> > respective data) and put it into a separate worksheet. So far, I
> > haven't had any luck doing this with any combination of wildcard
> > operators.
> >
> > The format of the user names are two or three letters and then 4
> > numbers, or they are entirely text. So the list has data like abc1234,
> > ab1234 and abcdef. I want all the abc1234 and ab1234 entries in a
> > separate list.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
mcg3433 (3)
10/6/2006 3:48:07 PM
Did you do this?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Did you do this?
>
> > > This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it
> > > correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type
> > > them yourself.)
>
> Operation5PM wrote:
> >
> > I see where you're going with this, however when I input the formula in
> > a new column all the entries returned false. The user names are in A1
> > so I'm not sure what the problem is at the moment. I'll keep tinkering.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dave Peterson wrote:
> > > Maybe you could use a helper column and filter by that:
> > >
> > > With the username in A1, I could use this array formula in B1 (say):
> > > =OR(ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))
> > >

> > > This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it
> > > correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type
> > > them yourself.)

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
mcg3433 (3)
10/6/2006 5:08:30 PM
Dave,

Sorry about the late post.  I've just caught this thread.  I'm puzzled
by your formula.  I see what it does buy could you explain *how*.  I'd
really appreciate it. Many thanks,

Jason

Operation5PM wrote:
> I had to laugh at myself on that one - I just wasn't in the right field
> at the time. Yes, it is working. Thank you verrrry much. You've saved
> me a lot of time!
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
>> Did you do this?

>> Operation5PM wrote:
>>> I see where you're going with this, however when I input the formula in
>>> a new column all the entries returned false. The user names are in A1
>>> so I'm not sure what the problem is at the moment. I'll keep tinkering.
>>> Thanks.

>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

0
zeugma (59)
10/17/2006 8:21:29 PM
This formula:

=OR(ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))

Say you have some stuff in A1, for example:  asd123

the row(indirect()) resolves to this array:
{1;2;3;4;5;6}

Then the mid(a1,{1;2;3;4;5;6},1) is gonna just look at each of the characters in
that cell:
a, then s, then d, then 1, 2, 3

The hyphen in front of the mid (-mid()) converts anything that looks like a
number to a number.  There's a difference between '1 and 1 (note the apostrophe
making the first text).  And =mid() always returns text.

The isnumber() will look at the innards of that expression and return an array
that looks like:
{FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE}

The =or() will return TRUE if there's at least one TRUE.  Else it'll return
FALSE.

Be careful, though.  You still have to array enter it (ctrl-shift-enter).

--

Dave Peterson
0

Regards,

Jason

> This formula:
>
> =OR(ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)))
>
> Say you have some stuff in A1, for example:  asd123
>
> the row(indirect()) resolves to this array:
> {1;2;3;4;5;6}
>
> Then the mid(a1,{1;2;3;4;5;6},1) is gonna just look at each of the
> characters in
> that cell:
> a, then s, then d, then 1, 2, 3
>
> The hyphen in front of the mid (-mid()) converts anything that looks like
> number to a number.  There's a difference between '1 and 1 (note the
> apostrophe
> making the first text).  And =mid() always returns text.
>
> The isnumber() will look at the innards of that expression and return an
> array
> that looks like:
> {FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;TRUE;TRUE;TRUE}
>
> The =or() will return TRUE if there's at least one TRUE.  Else it'll
> return
> FALSE.
>
> Be careful, though.  You still have to array enter it (ctrl-shift-enter).
>

> Jay wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Sorry about the late post.  I've just caught this thread.  I'm puzzled
>> by your formula.  I see what it does buy could you explain *how*.  I'd
>> really appreciate it. Many thanks,
>>
>> Jason
>>
>> Operation5PM wrote:
>> > I had to laugh at myself on that one - I just wasn't in the right field
>> > at the time. Yes, it is working. Thank you verrrry much. You've saved
>> > me a lot of time!

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
dummy8613 (43)
10/18/2006 8:58:13 AM
To use advanced filter use the following list as a criteria range:

User Name
*0*
*1*
*2*
*3*
*4*
*5*
*6*
*7*
*8*
*9*

If I have cells that are real numbers (not text numbers), then this won't work.

--

Dave Peterson
0

0
<>0

Dave Peterson wrote:

> If I have cells that are real numbers (not text numbers), then this won't work.
>
> Lori wrote:
> >
> > To use advanced filter use the following list as a criteria range:
> >
> > User Name
> > *0*
> > *1*
> > *2*
> > *3*
> > *4*
> > *5*
> > *6*
> > *7*
> > *8*
> > *9*
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Apologies extra criteria for numeric data would be:

>=0
<0

Lori wrote:

> That's true, but the context of the question was for a user name
> starting with text.
> If numbers were included in the range you could simpy add two extra
> lines:
>
> 0
> <>0
>

> Dave Peterson wrote:
>
> > If I have cells that are real numbers (not text numbers), then this won't work.
> >
> > Lori wrote:
> > >
> > > To use advanced filter use the following list as a criteria range:
> > >
> > > User Name
> > > *0*
> > > *1*
> > > *2*
> > > *3*
> > > *4*
> > > *5*
> > > *6*
> > > *7*
> > > *8*
> > > *9*
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

filter by selection 08-23-07
Why I can't make filter by selection on subform on Main Form ...

automatically change number of bars in bar chart
Hi newsgroup, is there a way in excel 2003 to automatically adjust the number of bars that are displayed in a bar chart? (and in other charts as well?) I've got a table with categories that adjusts automatically depending on inputs, i.e. there can be 5 categories, 6, 10 or whatever. now if I link the data ranges to this table then I get bars for each of the rows in this table, even if there's no data (or "") in them. This means that all the charts look awful. can this be done automatically? and a more advanced one: i've got XY charts where I draw boxes for each of th...

Counting lines when using a filter
After using a filter to view certain rows of a spreadsheet, is there a way to get an accurate count of how many rows are shown by either clicking and dragging the mouse over the selection or clicking on the first row and then shift-click on the last row? Thanks in advance, Hagan How about using SUBTOTAL function -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "hagan" <hagan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9264E3D-5869-4371-BED7-0DBF18712832@microsoft.com... > After using a filter to view certain rows of a spreadsheet, is there a way to > get an ...

Advance Find in Activities Histories
I asked this a while back but the answer did not work, and perhaps it was that I was not clear in my description of the problem, so I will try again. I have just converted activities from 20,000 clients from Goldmine into CRM 1.2. Most of these contacts/accounts have numerous activities which we have converted to historical activities on the Activities/History Tab. When you open an Account, go to Activities, then the History tab, all the activities display. I can click on the Type title to sort them and use the page -> to move between the pages and pages of activities. In some cas...

Automate Numbers
I am looking for advice for the best way to solve a problem. I am developing a system of telephony extensions etc at a workplace, some sites may have 200+. I am trying to automate entering all the extension numbers, rather than manually inputting them. I also have a format for the range of extensions, but don't know if Access will allow me to give an example and then create the extension for me automatically in sequence. Thanks, Lisa W. Sounds simple enough.. what is your format? "Lisa W." wrote: > I am looking for advice for the best way to solve a problem. > ...

OL2003
Howdy y'all, I seem to remember reading somewhere that you would be able to get online updates to the Junk Mail filter in Outlook 2003. I can't find anything on officeupdate or in the help files about obtaining junk mail filter updates. The reason I ask, is over the past two weeks, I've noticed a dramatic increas in the number of junk mails that get by the built in filter. Some of them are obvious, like Subject: "Hey how are fdlakjdls " Emails like this used to get captured. Now I'm having to "Add Sender to Junk Mail list" wh...

count number of entries in cell
Hi, I am trying to count the number of entries in a cell. For eg in cel A15..I have rat,cat,mat,fat....The function should return 4. Is there inbuilt function to do that or what would a macro to do that loo like. Thanks, M -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi are all your entries separatet by a comma. If yes try =LEN(A15)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A15,",",""))+1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi, > > I am trying to count the number of entries in a cell. For eg in cell > A15..I have rat,cat,mat,fat....The function should return 4. Is the...

How to express Between Queries in advanced find
Hi, I need to express queries such as: <entity>.<startDate> <= Today && <entity>.<endDate> >= Today Any ideas? Regards -- Dimitris ------=_NextPart_0001_087C1335 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <DFoukas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to express queries such as: > > <entity>.<startDate> <= Today && > <entity>.<endDate> >= Today Queries in Advanced Find are, by default, AND queries unless you change it to OR. So you'd just do this by putting in ...

Sorting filtered list on form with a Command Button
I have a form CLIENTLIST. When I open this form it runs the query qryClientLst. One of the fields in the query named ClientID has the criteria "Like [Enter Client Number]". When I open the form CLIENTLIST I'm prompted to "Enter Client Number". When I do the form opens and only the files with the client number I entered appear. So basically it's a filtered form. All of this works fine. I created a command button above the column ClientId on my form so my users can click on the button and sort Ascending or Descending. Below is my code for this. My only...

want parentheses, not negative numbers

Advanced Conditional Formatting and Changing Cell Colours
I have three basic (for programmers) conditional formatting problems to solve in Excel for which I require some help. These are the last 3 conditions I need to complete for the worksheet so any help will be really appreciated. They are as follows: 1. If cell Y2 is > 0 and cell Z2 = 0 I need to change the colour of cell Z2 2. If cell Y2 or cell AA2 > 0 and cells V2, W2, or X2 = the value "Z" I need to change the colour of the cell containing "Z" (V2, W2 or X2). If changing the colour of only the single cell containing "Z" cannot be done, I guess changing t...

Number Formats #2
I've been working with number formats lately. I wrote in the custo format ???.??? to align a set of numbers by their decimals. Fo example, 1.25, 12.45, and 137.98 would all align by the decimal eve though they take up different amounts of text. The problem is that I want to add superscript letters after some of th numbers. So I would want an "a" to come after 1.25 in superscript. When I add the "a," the number format no longer works and the number do not align by the decimals. How can I add the letter and still make the number format ???.?? work? Thanks -- Messa...

How to filter lower case characters in an edit control?
Hi to all, I created a class that enherits from CEdit and overrode its OnChar() message handler to intercept the entered keys and filter only those that are lower case. It also verifies if an entered key is upper case to convert it to lower case and filter it. Everything works good except the conversion from upper to lower case. The problem is that even if the OnChar() handler does convert the character to lower case, the character is still displayed in the edit box as it was entered, i.e. in upper case. Please note that if I remove the line: "nChar = tolower(nChar);", the u...

Advanced Optimization Options
are 'Advanced Optimization' Options Inherited? like I have a app in which I have set these options and in it I am using 3rd party control of which I don't have source code nor do i know if they are using any of these options. so if I set some advanced optimization options will those also apply to that control? "Abhishek" <user@server.com> wrote in message news:i5j779$n6h$1@speranza.aioe.org... > are 'Advanced Optimization' Options Inherited? No. "Abhishek" <user@server.com> wrote > are 'Advanced O...

Junk filter: CRAP!
Hi, I have upgraded to Outlook 2003 from Outlook XP a couple of weeks ago. At first, I thought that the junk filter was good. Well, that was after a few hours of using OL. Now, after a couple of weeks and an average of 150 messages per day (of which more than 80% is junk), I can tell that the junk filter does a VERY poor job! I used to use PopFile and I was able to get a success rate of 99%. I am definitely very far from that figure with OL 2k3. I tried the low level setting (i.e. the default). Needless to say that (apart from no automatic filtering), it's the worst setting. I then deci...

Counting & Filters
Hi All, Hoping somebody can help me here. I have forgotten how to create a formula which will tell me how many rows are visible after setting a filter. I would like to know the results to calculate the number of call types made in a day by changing the filter and returning a result. Tom Westlake Hi Tom See the help for the Subtotal worksheet function -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Tom Westlake" <tomwest@primus.ca> wrote in message news:rae174p5pe7fjsk3ucut1r4dd71mhf0t7f@4ax.com... > Hi All, > > Hoping somebody can help me here. ...

Item Serial Numbers for Matrixed Items
Hello all: I have a question regarding serial numbers for matrixed items. I would like to set up an item, and then include a matrix for size, color, length, and still maintain invenotry on each color/sytle combination, and have a serial number for each item. Can anyone provide details as to how to best accomplish this. Thanks Victor Example: Style:FANA01 this comes in: Red, Green, Yellow and each color has small, med, large. Each item has a serial number. Create the item using the New Item Wizard as a matrix item. At the end of the wizard select "Edit this item" On t...

CRM should let me decouple conditional statements in Advanced Find
We have set up a number of saved searches in CRM 3.0 that users would like to use Save As to create a copy and then add search terms to. Unfortunately, CRM 3.0 does not allow you to decouple conditional statements once the search has been saved. In order to add an AND condition, this feature is required. -- Thanks, Justin ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the...

Outlook's Junk mail filter??
Hi there, In Outlook 2003, how does the Junk Email filter "learn"? Is it updated through MS updates....or? As I noticed on my Outlook, it sends over to the Junk Mail Folder a lot of SPAM that I have not programmed it to do...rather it has done it on its own.... Where would Outlook get the Junk Email filter rules from? Thanks, Gordon I've noticed that the filter is updated monthly via Microsoft Updates. "Gordon J. Rattray" <gords@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:OJq9oSoEHHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi there, > > In Outlook 2003, how doe...

Advanced Security Headaches
I am having so many problems with this and unfortunately, on version 8, it is almost impossible to setup a lot of classes using the standard GP user class setup without pulling your hair out (and can't get access to certain things like business alert setup etc). I created a brand new user class using user class setup with no restrictions. Assigned user to class. Ran receivables integration with no errors. I then modified the user class using adv security to remove all windows within tools > setup, routines and utilities. Re-ran the integration and now get error "Unknown GP...

Can you search through Purchase orders by item Can you search by more than just the start of the lookup code? (ie search for all things red?) ...

Hide Report Filters
When I run a report, I export them to a HTML File. The outcome shows the report title, Filters used, and data. I am trying to have the filters hidden so that when the report is exported to HTML it only displays the report title and data. The only way I can do this is edit the HTML file after it is created but I do not want to have to do that every time. Just wondering if there is something I can put in or take out of the .qrp report to get my desired end result. Neil Well, if you want to use exactly the same filter everytime, you might be able to do this by entering the criteria in t...

Numbers
When transferring data from my AS400 to Excel, the negative numbers appear on the AS400 with the minus sign at the back of the number. Ex: 123- Is there a way to make excel recognize this as a negative number through the customize option--or any way at all? Thank you try for each c in selection c.value="-"&left(c,len(c)-1) next "Mry Alice London" <maryalice.london@carlsba.k12.nm.us> wrote in message news:027101c394df$9b632610$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When transferring data from my AS400 to Excel, the > negative numbers appear on the AS400 with the minu...

Message Filtering Doesn't Work
We moved our Exchange 5.5 server from an NT 4.0 server to Windows 2000 Server. Everything works fine, except for Message filtering on the Internet Mail Service Connections tab. It looks to be set up correctly and it should be sending all e-mails from the listed domains to the turf directory, but it isn't and all these e-mails are coming through. FYI, we created c:\turfdir on this server and modified the turfdir registry entry to reflect this. Help! Phil B. Wichita, KS Are you blocking a whole domain? If so, you have to have it in the format of: @domain-to-be-blocked.com ...

Double V. Single Help
Why is 'ans1' true if double and false for single? Module Module1 Sub Main() Dim x As Double / Single Dim y As Double / Single Dim ans1 As Boolean Dim ans2 As Boolean x = 0.3000000000000001 y = Math.Round(x, 2) ans1 = y = 0.3 ans2 = Math.Round(y, 2) = 0.3 End Sub End Module Thanks Sub Main() Dim x As Double, y As Double Dim a As Single, b As Single Dim ansX As Boolean, ansY As Boolean Dim ansA As Boolean, ansB As Boolean x = 0.3: y = Math.Round(x, 2) a = 0.3: b ...