Adding up in old distance's...

I'm trying to adding different cells together but in an old distance format.
I'm using Miles and Chains!

I'm typing the number as a decimal so hence 2.43 is 2 miles 43 chains.

Now the problem I have is there is only 80 chains in 1 mile. So even when
using a separate column it adds up wrong.

EG

A1 contains 2.43
A2 contains 5.74

Adding the two together Excel gives me 8.17... But the answer I require is
actually 8.37 (8 miles & 37 chains)

Does anyone know if its possible to get excel to do this?
0
Drinker (1)
4/2/2009 9:35:02 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This seems to do what you want...

=INT(A1)+INT(A2)+INT(5*(MOD(A1,1)+MOD(A2,1))/4)+MOD(100*(MOD(A1,1)+MOD(A2,1)),80)/100

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

In article <4E065355-87AA-419A-9E60-83344007B5EE@microsoft.com>,
 Zider Drinker <Zider Drinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to adding different cells together but in an old distance format.
> I'm using Miles and Chains!
>
> I'm typing the number as a decimal so hence 2.43 is 2 miles 43 chains.
>
> Now the problem I have is there is only 80 chains in 1 mile. So even when
> using a separate column it adds up wrong.
>
> EG
>
> A1 contains 2.43
> A2 contains 5.74
>
> Adding the two together Excel gives me 8.17... But the answer I require is
> actually 8.37 (8 miles & 37 chains)
>
> Does anyone know if its possible to get excel to do this?

You can devise a function that does this, if I correctly understand what
you want. Use functions to separate the integer part from the fractional
part. Then multiply the fractional part by 80 to get the remainder in
chains. You might even use text functions to express with a "chain
point" instead of a decimal point. Thus, if the chain point is &, A1 and
A2 can be expressed as 2&43 and 5&74. These add to 7&97. Your function
could automatically convert that to 8&17. This gets awkward.

Excel has the capability of defining macro functions either using Excel
macro statements or Visual Basic. Another way would be to have a number
of columns devoted to doing the calculations using the usual statements.
These columns could be made invisible by setting their width to zero.
You just end up having a gap in the letters heading the those columns.

Some modern computer languages have record types that can have
components corresponding to miles and chains. The compiler can check
that you do not mix up such "milechain" records with regular decimals
unintentionally. I am not familiar with object oriented programing, but
I think they have the capability to change improper records, those with
80 or more chains into proper records. I am using these terms in analogy
to proper and improper fractions.

Excel also has the capability of incorporating binary code developed in
various development systems to operate on various Excel cells.

Bill

--
Most people go to college to get their missing high school education.
0

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

New exchange server and remove old
What is the best way to setup a new exchange server and remove the old one? The old one is a exchange 2000 ent and the new one is a exchange 2003 ent. I have 100 mailboxes on the old exchange server. Is it possible to move mailboxes within the exchange manager to the new server. Any other or better way? Do I need to use Exmage? Best Regards Martin this might help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "MW" <776@uy778yy.com> wrote in message news:4558b000$0$49196$14726298@news.sunsite.dk... > What is the best way to setup a new exchan...

ADDING A NUMBER

When adding attachments...

adding new records

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Adding alternate columns

Adding fields from a different query

AD Monitoring
Is there a listing somewhere of what all components in AD should be minitored, thresholds, etc...we are evaluating a monitoring solution and need this information to take a decision on the product to use Hello Sameer, For performance start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961943.aspx Also see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727046.aspx Use the included links from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739728(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

Adding Terms & Conditions to the Quote Form
We have a client that would like to add their Terms & Conditions (T&C) text to the bottom of their GP Quotes. I've read that static text boxes in Report Designer can only be 80 characters, so that won't work as the T&C text is approximately 4-5 pages long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add this significant amount of text to a GP form? Thank you in advance. Scott No can do Scott - Report Writer is just not capable of this. The best solution is to purchase Accountable Software's Forms Printer - www.accountable.com. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East...

"To" field auto-resolving old addresses
Hello, Have a user who is typing in a partial name in the "To" field. Outlook provides that red underscore which you right click on, which then offers you the choices that closely match what you typed in. In this case, one of the choices offered is correct, however, the email address that goes along w/ it is not. It is the old email address the user says was edited out months ago. The contact is in the users contact folder with a current email address, but again, the email address associated w/ the contact is the old one when selected from the auto resolved choices. The us...

Adding Collapse/Expand to Publisher 2003 items
Hi I'm trying to enter a text box which may be expanded/Collapsed as follows: > More Info... > Next Item... > More Info... When you want bla bla bla, do bla bla bla, > Next Item... Can anyone tell me how to implement it?! Thank you 'bla bla bla' is the sound of geckos mating - so the naturalists tell me. No, you cannot do what you want. Your answer is rude & arrogant. I don't know why would anyone put you in a position to Accept calls for help. Besides - I don't believe it can't be done. Please don't call again "*...

adding lines to added data
I have added data to an existing worksheet but when printed the row lines and column border lines do not show. How do I add the lines to the added border to match the existing lines? ...

Adding 1 year's difference to user's input of yyyy-yyyy?
If a user inputs 2000-2001, or 2007-2008, is there a way to formulaically have the cell underneath increase by one year? i.e., if in B2 the user input, say, 2005-2006, B3 would show 2006-2007 and B4 would show 2007-2008, etc. down the column? Thank you! :oD Try this: =IF(B2="","",VALUE(LEFT(B2,4))+1 &"-"& VALUE(RIGHT(B2,4))+1) and copy down the column for as many as you need. Hope this helps. Pete On May 29, 3:16 pm, "StargateFanFromWork" <NoS...@NoJunk.com> wrote: > If a user inputs 2000-2001, or 2007-2008, is there a way t...

adding new users in AD but not Exchange
How do we change the defaults when adding a new user, to not have "Create an Exchange mailbox" as the default? We are rolling out Exchange, but not to all new users at this time. -- Greg Stigers, MCSA remember to vote for the answers you like Create the users from a box that doesn't have the Exchange admin tools installed? "Greg Stigers, MCSA" <gregstigers+wmsn@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:ee4tHm0LFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How do we change the defaults when adding a new user, to not have "Create > an Exchange mailbox" as ...

Multiple vlookup and adding values together
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to find a way to locate all categories in a table that says for ex &quot;good.&quot; Each of these have a number associated to them which I am trying to add together. <br><br>So lets say my table has ten rows of data, three of those rows have a column that is termed &quot;good.&quot; So what I want that to do is then take those three rows with &quot;good&quot; and add the numeric values together that are entered in another column which are each of those three rows...

DoCmd.Setwarnings and Rewriting Old Code
I am off to a client in as couple of hours to fix a problem that came up in code that was written in late 1997 or 1998 that has been working without any failures until this week. The cause of the failure? Conversion from A97 to A2K3. The code that failed was the running of a series of append and update and delete queries that were executed with DoCmd.OpenQuery, with DoCmd.SetWarnings set to FALSE. The reason the code failed was that an append query that worked forever in A97 completely fails under A2K3. The failure is in a query that draws values from an unbound form, and any controls on...

adding pictures
Hi all, I am enquiring is it possible to add a picture to each line in a table.Some may be blank and some may have pictures on it. The table is run as a search form and that is up and running though i am trying to add pictures of people to go with there information I am just wondering is this possible and if so how. and if it is possible Where does the picture go that are saved. Thank you for any help Paul paul@www.omachx.com See answer provided in another newsgroup where you posted this question. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Paul (OMAC HX)" <paul@www...

Adding new rows including formula
I want to create a spreadsheet to allow some resource scheduling. The cells in the rows will contain a number of formula such as lookups etc. I want to allow the user to insert a new row but for the row to include the formula etc. I'm sure this must be fairly easy but I just can't see it. Hope someon can point me in the right direction. Hi Edward, I don't know about easy, I had help after obtaining the closest solution from the archives and then from getting the missing pieces from the newsgroup. Insert a Row using a Macro to maintain formulas http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/e...