Adding third lookup value to index/match

I understand how Index/Match works with double lookups... But I cant
quite get the third lookup down.

Looking to add a third lookup value and range to this formula (range
z)

=INDEX(table, MATCH(x,range x,0), MATCH(y,range y,1))

Data is laid out like so... (Vertical column range is x)

   A  B   C   D   E   F   G   H
1 range yyyyyyyyyyyyyy ->
2 range zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ->

any suggestions...?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How does the 3rd range relate?

Need more specific details.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"J.W. Aldridge" <jeremy.w.aldridge@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I understand how Index/Match works with double lookups... But I cant
> quite get the third lookup down.
>
> Looking to add a third lookup value and range to this formula (range
> z)
>
> =INDEX(table, MATCH(x,range x,0), MATCH(y,range y,1))
>
> Data is laid out like so... (Vertical column range is x)
>
>   A  B   C   D   E   F   G   H
> 1 range yyyyyyyyyyyyyy ->
> 2 range zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ->
>

> any suggestions...?

0
biffinpitt (3172)
10/3/2007 6:30:40 PM
Thanx...!

The first range will be x (vertical). (contains 4 letter codes)
The first range will be y (horizontal) (contains dates).
The first range will be z (horizontal) (contains times)

Ok, so you probably want a specific time for a specific date.

What does the setup look like? Can you post a sceencap?

Is there a different date in every cell in range Y? What about the times in
range Z?

How are the times associated with a date?

This should be no problem but I can't suggest something without knowing how
the data is setup.

--

> Thanx...!
>
> The first range will be x (vertical). (contains 4 letter codes)
> The first range will be y (horizontal) (contains dates).
> The first range will be z (horizontal) (contains times)

0
biffinpitt (3172)
10/4/2007 6:33:35 PM
X Search value is = FRUIT (cell g20)
Y Search value is = 09:00 (cell g21)
Z Search value is = Oct-4 (cell g22)

Desired result = 16

Need to add criteria and range z.

=INDEX(table, MATCH(x,range x,0), MATCH(y,range y,1))

Table starts with cell A1.

                             B                C
D               E
A1                      08:00         09:00          10:00
11:00
A2                        Oct-4         Oct-4         Oct-3
Oct-3
APPLES          10                  20               30             40
BANANAS         20                 30               40             50
CHERRIES       60                70               80             90
DUNG               91                 92               93
94
EGGPLANT      11               12                 13            14
FRUIT               15                16                 17
18
GRAPES           19                20                 21

This works for me

=INDEX(A1:I20,MATCH("fruit",A1:A20,0),MATCH(1,(A1:I1=TIME(9,0,0))*(A2:I2=DATE(2007,10,4)),0))

change the cell references accordingly to fit your size

It needs to be entered with ctrl + shift & enter

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

>X Search value is = FRUIT (cell g20)
> Y Search value is = 09:00 (cell g21)
> Z Search value is = Oct-4 (cell g22)
>
> Desired result = 16
>
> Need to add criteria and range z.
>
> =INDEX(table, MATCH(x,range x,0), MATCH(y,range y,1))
>

> Table starts with cell A1.
>
>                             B                C
> D               E
> A1                      08:00         09:00          10:00
> 11:00
> A2                        Oct-4         Oct-4         Oct-3
> Oct-3
> APPLES          10                  20               30             40
> BANANAS         20                 30               40             50
> CHERRIES       60                70               80             90
> DUNG               91                 92               93
> 94
> EGGPLANT      11               12                 13            14
> FRUIT               15                16                 17
> 18
> GRAPES           19                20                 21
> 22

0
terre081 (3244)
10/4/2007 7:49:30 PM
Thanx.

Since I have cell references for the criteria I am searching for,
could something like this work?

=INDEX(A1:E13,MATCH(K2,A1:A13,0),MATCH(1,(A1:E1=K3)*(B2:E2=K4),1))

Yes if you put those values in K2 - K4 and enter the formula with ctrl +
shift & enter it should work
If it doesn't then there is no match meaning that somehow what you put in K3
and K4 might differ. You can easily check that by direct comparison like
=K3=C1 where K3 holds 9:00 and presumably C1 does too. If it returns FALSE
you will need to find if the values in A1:E1 are text, do the same for
K4 and C2

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

> Thanx.
>
> Since I have cell references for the criteria I am searching for,
> could something like this work?
>
> =INDEX(A1:E13,MATCH(K2,A1:A13,0),MATCH(1,(A1:E1=K3)*(B2:E2=K4),1))

0
terre081 (3244)

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Lookups and ifs!
Hi I have the following workbook: Sheet 1 contains Tax Rates A1 B1 C1 20% 40% 60% Sheet 1 further down the sheet contains the following ranges: A10 B10 C10 D10 <10000 10000 - 20000 20001 - 30000 30001 - 40000 In another sheet I have a salary cell which I type a figure into. What I want to do is have Excel look at this value and then whichever range in row 10 it appears, Excel can then determine which tax rate to mulitply it by in row 1> Hope that is clear..... Many thanks -- Kind regards...

ADDING A NUMBER

freeze values
XL2000 I made a sheet that helps me do estimates based on several different products and lengths. everything works perfectly but one little detail When I input some sizes, excel does its thing, and give me all the information in six separate cells. Problem is, in six cells just below I need to estimate basically the same product but with different sizes when I change the sizes all of the information changes on the first six cells Question is there away to freeze the first six cell information before I change the size for the next size cells Hi Alan AFAIK only be "removing&qu...

adding new records

When adding attachments...

Can I use a 'lookup' to a Pivot Table?
I am attempting to compare one column of data (a list Employee numbers) to another (on a different sheet in the same workbook, also of Ee #s but not as complete) and put the number in the corresponding cell back to the original spreadsheet. Since the lists aren't exact, I can't simply do an (='other sheet'!A1)and drag it down. The lists are both formated as numbers and in numerical order but not the same length. The oddity is that the sheet I'm referencing to is a Pivot Table. I'm getting a #N/A message. Thanks in advance You could use the GETPIVOTDATA function: ...

Incorrect Account Value
I'm using money 2003 and it seems that my account values for my investment accounts are incorrect. When I look in my portfolio the stocks and cash add up to the total account value (this figure is correct), but when I look at the totals on the main accounts list page the # is quite different. I understand that this number is coming from the account value total which is displayed when you click on view invetment transactions within each account, but this # is incorrect. Any suggestions?? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, E M wrote: >I'm using money 2003 and it seems th...

multiple value choices for If range().value = "xxx"
The macro below runs on worksheet change and works properly. However, I have 5 values to examine in column H. The values are: Split, Payday 1, Payday 2, Payday 3, and Payday 4. Any of these choices should result in unlocking and clearing the cells in that row (first part of if statement). Otherwise, the range 'pasterage' is copied to that row and it is locked again. I can't find the proper syntax (if there is any) to say something like is possible in SQL (if ...value in ("Split","Payday 1",...)) Please advise on the best way to go about this. ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Indexed Tab Template
I am looking for a tutorial on how to create a PP template with tabs. The PPT when played, looks like a website with a navigation bar. ...

Lookup sheet
I have a list of data on a sheet that goes in columns like this: Cust #,Name,invoice#,order#,po#,material desc,qty,sum. The data is 14k rows deep. I've tried to create a pivot table from this but there are too man columns. How can I go about creating a separate lookup formula on a separat page so if I type just the customer # it will bring up all of thei invoice#'s, order# ect. I have a feeling that it will involve a offset/vlookup but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance B -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi not a formula but have you considered using 'data -...

Adding alternate columns

Adding fields from a different query

Extracting a list of individual values created with sum of values
Hello All, The following code sums values created using 2 ^ n for various invalid data. There is a method of then extracting the individual values from the summed total to identify the individual messages. I can’t remember how to do this and have not been successful in finding it so any help will be appreciated. I know there are other ways of creating the list of messages but I particularly want the code for this method. (The code below is simply an example. What I am really after is code to create an individual number to use as an argument/parameter in a different situation....

Accessing Picklist Values from Report
I am wondering if it is possible to (and if so, how) to access all possible values in a picklist attribute for a report. Obviously if I'm looking at any given object I see only the value with is currenlty selected for the picklist. But all the values for that picklist attribute have to be SOMEWHERE in a database table right? If anyone can send me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Debra You can use MetadataWebservice to get the picklist values. Sample code ========= EntityMetadata accmd = MetadataService.RetrieveEntityMetadata("account",EntityFlags...

Returning controls to their Original values
In a control on one of my forms, if a user tries to enter values that already exist in the data table (duplicates) , I have a messagebox appear telling them the record already exists. My problem is thereafter, I want Access to return to the original values that were present in the control before the user tried to enter different ones. How can I do this? <trekgoes2malaysia@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0a14334f-eb16-4893-a8a8-aeaf6812ddf6@l16g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > In a control on one of my forms, if a user tries to enter values that > already exist in the data table...

null default values on a form
Hi, bet this question has been asked before: i have created a form so a user can add new records and edit existing ones. For editing purposes my form also has a search drop down by a record number. When i open the form it always shows me the first record from the table, but i just want it to be copmletely blank until a user choses his record for editing. If i change Form properties (Data Entry =Yes) it works but Search function does not work at all. Thanks Mike "Mikhail Bogorad" <mikhail.bogorad@gmail.com> wrote in message news:435afcee-9744-4f5e-8f95-232efa00c...

Windows Mobile 5.0 GAL Lookup
How can I configure a windows mobile 5.0 device to use the GAL as well as their contacts when searching? thanks. GAL lookup isn't available unless you have AKU 2.0/MSFP and Exchange 2003 SP2. Otherwise, I believe that mobile Outlook allows you to set up an LDAP address book, but LDAP isn't usually published to the Internet on DC's (nor would I usually recommend it). -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Gabe Matteson" <gmattesonATinquery.biz> wrote in message new...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...