Adding Days that are in the form of Text eg monday, tuesday

Hi i was hoping someone could help

what i have is column "A" which has a list of days in the form monday,
wednesday etc.  Then i want column B to display the next day.

                A                    B
1            Day               Day+1
2            Day               Day+1
3            Day               Day+1

Column A is day stock will run out
Column B is the day after

I have done something similar to this before but I can't think how

Hope someone can help

Thanks For your help

Katy

0
Katy
1/2/2008 10:52:07 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=LOOKUP(A1,{"Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday"},{"Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday","Sunday"})

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Katy" <k@m.vom> wrote in message
> Hi i was hoping someone could help
>
> what i have is column "A" which has a list of days in the form monday,
> wednesday etc.  Then i want column B to display the next day.
>
>                A                    B
> 1            Day               Day+1
> 2            Day               Day+1
> 3            Day               Day+1
>

> Column A is day stock will run out
> Column B is the day after
>
> I have done something similar to this before but I can't think how
>
> Hope someone can help
>
> Thanks For your help
>
> Katy

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
1/2/2008 11:12:44 PM
On Jan 2, 3:12=A0pm, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
> =3DLOOKUP(A1,
> {"Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday",
> "Sa=ADturday"},
> {"Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday",
> "Su=ADnday"})

I like that form, but it does not work for me.  I am not surprised.
The Help page states that the values must be in ascending order.  So
wouldn't it need to be:

=3Dlookup(A1,
  {"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sunday","Thursday","Tuesday",
   "Wednesday"},
  {"Saturday","Tuesday","Sunday","Monday","Friday","Wednesday",
   "Thursday"})

0
joeu2004 (766)
1/2/2008 11:37:34 PM
On Jan 2, 2:52=A0pm, "Katy" <k...@m.vom> wrote:
> what i have is column "A" which has a list of days in the form
> monday, wednesday etc. =A0Then i want column B to display the
> next day.

If you truly have the text "Monday" etc, I would set up a table
somewhere (could be on another sheet), then put the following in B1
(for example):

=3Dvlookup(A1, Sheet2!$A$1:$B$7, 2, false)

where A1:B7 on Sheet2 has (forgive any alignment problems):

Monday          =3DA2
Tuesday         =3DA3
Wednesday    =3DA4
Thursday        =3DA5
Friday            =3DA6
Saturday        =3DA7
Sunday          =3DA1

> Column A is day stock will run out
> Column B is the day after

So it would seem likely to me that column A contains a date, and you
might have used a custom format to show only the day of the week; or
perhaps column A contains a formula that returns the day of the week
based on a date (e.g. =3DWEEKDAY(C1)).

If either is the case, I think it would be better to use
1+WEEKDAY(theDate), however you determine "theDate".

0
joeu2004 (766)
1/2/2008 11:48:01 PM
Could also just as well be:

=HLOOKUP(A1,{"Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Sa
turday";"Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday","Sunda
y"},2,0)

--
Regards,

RD

"joeu2004" <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 2, 3:12 pm, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
> =LOOKUP(A1,
> {"Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday",
> "Sa�turday"},
> {"Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday",
> "Su�nday"})

I like that form, but it does not work for me.  I am not surprised.
The Help page states that the values must be in ascending order.  So
wouldn't it need to be:

=lookup(A1,
  {"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sunday","Thursday","Tuesday",
   "Wednesday"},
  {"Saturday","Tuesday","Sunday","Monday","Friday","Wednesday",
   "Thursday"})

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/3/2008 1:05:08 AM
With A1 containing a day name (eg Tuesday)

Maybe this (in sections for readability:

=INDEX({"Tues","Wednes","Thurs","Fri","Satur","Sun","Mon"},
(SEARCH(LEFT(A1,2),"MoTuWeThFrSaSu")-1)/2+1)&"day"

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Katy" <k@m.vom> wrote in message
> Hi i was hoping someone could help
>
> what i have is column "A" which has a list of days in the form monday,
> wednesday etc.  Then i want column B to display the next day.
>
>                A                    B
> 1            Day               Day+1
> 2            Day               Day+1
> 3            Day               Day+1
>

> Column A is day stock will run out
> Column B is the day after
>
> I have done something similar to this before but I can't think how
>
> Hope someone can help
>
> Thanks For your help
>
> Katy

Since dateserial number 1 (01-JAN-1900) is a Sunday,
how about this?:

=TEXT((SEARCH(LEFT(A1,2),"SuMoTuWeThFrSa")-1)/2+2,"dddd")

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Ron Coderre" <ronREMOVETHIScoderre@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> With A1 containing a day name (eg Tuesday)
>
> Maybe this (in sections for readability:
>
> =INDEX({"Tues","Wednes","Thurs","Fri","Satur","Sun","Mon"},
> (SEARCH(LEFT(A1,2),"MoTuWeThFrSaSu")-1)/2+1)&"day"
>
> Does that help?
> --------------------------
>
> Regards,
>
> Ron
> Microsoft MVP (Excel)
> (XL2003, Win XP)
>
> "Katy" <k@m.vom> wrote in message
>> Hi i was hoping someone could help
>>
>> what i have is column "A" which has a list of days in the form monday,
>> wednesday etc.  Then i want column B to display the next day.
>>
>>                A                    B
>> 1            Day               Day+1
>> 2            Day               Day+1
>> 3            Day               Day+1
>>

>> Column A is day stock will run out
>> Column B is the day after
>>
>> I have done something similar to this before but I can't think how
>>
>> Hope someone can help
>>
>> Thanks For your help
>>
>> Katy

HI thanks for all your replys

I went with this one
=TEXT((SEARCH(LEFT(C2,2),"SuMoTuWeThFrSa")-1)/2+2,"dddd")
But this one worked just aswell
=INDEX({"Tues","Wednes","Thurs","Fri","Satur","Sun","Mon"},
(SEARCH(LEFT(C2,2),"MoTuWeThFrSaSu")-1)/2+1)&"day"

the method i used last time and was wanting to use again included something
along the lines of

A1+1 and i had to use the "dddd" at the end of the formula.

If anyone has any idea what I am on about I would be interested to know

Again I would like to thanks everyone for the replies was spending about 2
hours yesterday trying to solve this problem and i get up this morning and
you guys have fixed it for me so thanks

Katy

0
Katy
1/3/2008 10:13:34 AM
Yes of course. I only tested on a few days and it worked. Foolish me!

--
---
HTH

Bob

"joeu2004" <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jan 2, 3:12 pm, "Bob Phillips" <bob....@somewhere.com> wrote:
> =LOOKUP(A1,
> {"Sunday","Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday",
> "Sa�turday"},
> {"Monday","Tuesday","Wednesday","Thursday","Friday","Saturday",
> "Su�nday"})

I like that form, but it does not work for me.  I am not surprised.
The Help page states that the values must be in ascending order.  So
wouldn't it need to be:

=lookup(A1,
  {"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sunday","Thursday","Tuesday",
   "Wednesday"},
  {"Saturday","Tuesday","Sunday","Monday","Friday","Wednesday",
   "Thursday"})

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
1/3/2008 12:01:14 PM
If you had a real date in A1, but just formatted as dddd to show the day,
you could have used

=TEXT(A1+1,"dddd")

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Katy" <k@m.vom> wrote in message
> HI thanks for all your replys
>
> I went with this one
> =TEXT((SEARCH(LEFT(C2,2),"SuMoTuWeThFrSa")-1)/2+2,"dddd")
> But this one worked just aswell
> =INDEX({"Tues","Wednes","Thurs","Fri","Satur","Sun","Mon"},
> (SEARCH(LEFT(C2,2),"MoTuWeThFrSaSu")-1)/2+1)&"day"
>
> the method i used last time and was wanting to use again included
> something along the lines of
>
> A1+1 and i had to use the "dddd" at the end of the formula.
>
> If anyone has any idea what I am on about I would be interested to know
>
> Again I would like to thanks everyone for the replies was spending about 2
> hours yesterday trying to solve this problem and i get up this morning and
> you guys have fixed it for me so thanks
>
> Katy

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

pop-up form/message box problem
I have a main form where records are entered; in one field users select from a list of citations, if they type something that's not on the list, a message box pops up asking if they'd like to add the new citation, when they click "yes" the pop-up form where they enter the citation information opens, no problem. HOWEVER, if they close the pop-up form without entering any data the default Access message " The text you entered isn't an item in the list." appears. How do I prevent that from happening? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmon...

Thw Windy City could wear a Cup on Winds Day!
I always break wind so I think I need a Cup. Just FYI. I called my friend Stanley to see if I could borrow his cup but he said it's too big. Just FYI. He said I need a thimble. Just FYI. Kevin John Panzke wrote: > I always break wind so I think I need a Cup. Just FYI. I called my friend > Stanley to see if I could borrow his cup but he said it's too big. Just > FYI. He said I need a thimble. Just FYI. ...

ADDING A NUMBER

Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box
I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific worksheet in my Excel file. I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to generate the text for my text box using the following formula: ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text box text: =concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6) ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6 I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid refe...

adding new records

Count cells that Contain text
Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum tha contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT" I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to coun cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number o cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text a well. You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta And -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =COUNTIF(Range,"*ACT*") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private...

When adding attachments...

Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages.
How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages. -- "J. J." JDJ <jj@invalid.invalid> wrote: > How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in > incoming HTML messages. I would think that the sender controls the text size for incoming HTML messages. -- Brian Tillman On the View Drop Down of an open message window there is a Text Size menu bar which when you mouse on it gives you 5 choices. I just want it to default to largest so I don't have to go through that with each new message I read. ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Adding alternate columns

Validating data in a subform against data in main form
I have a main form with a subform. Each form is bound to its own table but are linked through a primary key (customerID). On the main form, I have a customer's date of birth (dob). On the subform, I have the customrer's date of order (doo). Basically, I want to validate that the date of order entered by the user is later than the date of birth. How can I do this? I tried to do it in the subform's BeforeUpdate event but it failed. It didn't seem to recognize dob (customer's date of birth). Perhaps, I was not referring to dob properly. I'm new to ...

Adding fields from a different query

null default values on a form
Hi, bet this question has been asked before: i have created a form so a user can add new records and edit existing ones. For editing purposes my form also has a search drop down by a record number. When i open the form it always shows me the first record from the table, but i just want it to be copmletely blank until a user choses his record for editing. If i change Form properties (Data Entry =Yes) it works but Search function does not work at all. Thanks Mike "Mikhail Bogorad" <mikhail.bogorad@gmail.com> wrote in message news:435afcee-9744-4f5e-8f95-232efa00c...

Change default font for text boxes in Publisher
Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft Publisher fo all publications? Setting Text Defaults using Normal.pub by Brian Kvalheim http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "JennyN" <JennyN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:927C7AFC-F92D-419F-B49E-DA5B444956E1@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft...

AD Monitoring
Is there a listing somewhere of what all components in AD should be minitored, thresholds, etc...we are evaluating a monitoring solution and need this information to take a decision on the product to use Hello Sameer, For performance start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961943.aspx Also see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727046.aspx Use the included links from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739728(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Adding Terms & Conditions to the Quote Form
We have a client that would like to add their Terms & Conditions (T&C) text to the bottom of their GP Quotes. I've read that static text boxes in Report Designer can only be 80 characters, so that won't work as the T&C text is approximately 4-5 pages long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add this significant amount of text to a GP form? Thank you in advance. Scott No can do Scott - Report Writer is just not capable of this. The best solution is to purchase Accountable Software's Forms Printer - www.accountable.com. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East...

How to filter listbox data in a form?
A Form contains Filter dropdown for Year selection and a list box. How to filter listbox data based on selected year. Any helps or thoughts could be appreciated. Advnaced Thanks ~Vins Check your other post. Vinod wrote: > > A Form contains Filter dropdown for Year selection and a list box. How to > filter listbox data based on selected year. > > Any helps or thoughts could be appreciated. > > Advnaced Thanks > ~Vins -- Dave Peterson ...

Why does everything on a pageprint except for what is in the text
Using Publisher 2002, when I copy a page from one file, then open a new document and paste that page into the new document, everything appears on the page except what is in the text boxes (this is a newsletter). It is only affecting one page, all other text boxes appear & print. Is your text box underneath something, like a border? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ATA" <ATA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9751866F-DDEF-49C1-A92C-8CEAADA427ED@microsoft.com... > Using Publisher 2002, when I copy a page from one file, then open a new &g...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...