adding 1 to each following cells with a prefix

How do I automate the editing in situation such as the column content
below.

M001
M002
M003

There is prefix M00 but the cells of the rest is plus one from the
first. If it's just numbers, I know =A1 + 1 and copy-and-paste would
do it but it won't work with a prefix.

Thanks for the help,
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Put M001 in your first cell, select that cell and then click on the small
black square in the bottom right corner of that cell's border and drag it
down as far as you want... Excel will automatically increment the number
part for you.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

On Sun, 3 May 2009 06:20:59 -0700 (PDT), cpliu <spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>How do I automate the editing in situation such as the column content
>below.
>
>M001
>M002
>M003
>
>There is prefix M00 but the cells of the rest is plus one from the
>first. If it's just numbers, I know =A1 + 1 and copy-and-paste would
>do it but it won't work with a prefix.
>
>Thanks for the help,

If you only require the cell to DISPLAY in the above format, you could use a
custom number format of   \M000   and then use the A1+1 method.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
5/3/2009 7:22:49 PM
Thank you all for the help. It works now.
I just noticed that if my prefix is just 1 letter, the number cycles
by 4, like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...

For example enter Q1 at A1 and I tried to use "drag the corner" tip, I
got Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, and then Q1 again. If Use Q01, then it's fine.
Anyway to make it work as Q1, etc.

Thanks,
Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 are one of Excel's built-in Custom Lists which does not
recognize more than 4 Quarters.

In A1 enter  ="Q" & ROW()

Copy down then copy>paste special>values>ok>esc.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 May 2009 10:00:49 -0700 (PDT), liu <spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just noticed that if my prefix is just 1 letter, the number cycles
>by 4, like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...
>
>For example enter Q1 at A1 and I tried to use "drag the corner" tip, I
>got Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, and then Q1 again. If Use Q01, then it's fine.
>Anyway to make it work as Q1, etc.
>
>Thanks,

0
Gord

Cell refering filename in formula bar
How do you refer filename1 to a cell in the formula bar? Example: ='\\Year 2004\September\[_filename1_.xls]sheet1'!$A$1 A | B | C 1 | | 2 | filename1 | 3 | | 4 | | ="\\Year 2004\September\["_B2_".xls]sheet1'!$A$1 will not work -- yee ve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- yee ven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1479 View this thread: http://www.excel...

Retire in 1 year! Look at this!
http://tinyurl.com/c363e Check out this 2005 established company, currently recruiting online team leaders to help grow and promote the business! Approved by scam.com, the leading online watchdog site - this is not a scam or a get rich quick scheme - you will get out what you put in to this endeavour. I have made more money each month with this as I grow familiar with it so do give it a go. Low investment to get started! Take some time to read thru all the info then make your decision. Work hard at it and this could replace your day job in months! http://tinyurl.com/c363e --- MAF ...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Formatting Cells/Data
Hi, I hope you are doing well. I have a file I downloaded from our AS/400 (OS400 operating system). I open the file as a text file and go thru the wizard for converting the file to excel format. One of the columns/fields is numeric with some neg and pos numbers and some blank cell contents. During the wizard conversion the field is categorized as DOUBLE with no option to change the field. When I finish the wizard I save the file as an Excel workbook. Then I use the autosum option to calculate the total of the field/column; however, it only picks up on the positive #'s. Hence the t...

ADDING A NUMBER

click on a cell to expand with more information
I am making a phone contact record for work. How can I make a cell (with a customers name in it) expose more details or information about that customer, when hovered over with the pointer? I also need to know how to enter the information to be viewed. 2nd question - How do I create a line between multiple entries for the same customer and the next customer? example: John Doe 05/05/05 123-456-7891 9:00 left message John Doe 05/08/05 123-456-7891 9:30 left message John Doe 05/08/05 123-456-7891 10:00 returned call _____________...

Count cells that Contain text
Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum tha contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT" I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to coun cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number o cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text a well. You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta And -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =COUNTIF(Range,"*ACT*") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private...

Countif with 1+ specifics
=SUMPRODUCT(('[Summary.xls]Jan 04'!$U$5:$U$1000=1)*('[Summary.xls]Jan 04'!$J$5:$J$1000="Fax")) I want to add E-mail, Letter and Telephone to the sencond part of countif. Ii cant just add them with comma's like "Fax", "Email" etc, how can this be done without having to add up several equations? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "ianripping >" <<ianripping.10omsh@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote... >=SUMPRODUCT(('[Summary.xls]Jan 04'!$U$5:$U$1000=1)*('[Summary.xls]Jan >04'!$J$5:$J$1000...

When adding attachments...

6776 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?convers=E3o?= alcool potencia chip tuning 67761
Quer economizar ganhando Pot�ncia? Temos chip de convers�o gasolina para �lcool trazendo uma boa economia mensal. Para convers�o a �lcool veja exemplo de Economia: Veiculo: Fiat palio 1.0 8v ano 98 com 78.000 km Media feita com 1.500 km rodados entre cidade e estrada Gasolina:1500km consumo (10km/l)=150lts x r$1.85 = r$ 277,50 �lcool: 1500km consumo (7,5km/l) = 200lts x r$ 0,70 = r$ 140,00 Diferen�a (economia no bolso!) = r$ 137,50 Pre�o especial apenas para as 100 primeiras vendas. http://chipvix.vilabol.uol.com.br/index.html convers�o gnv gasolina alcoo...

adding new records

Barra de Publicidade que =?ISO-8859-1?Q?d=E1?= dinheiritos !!! #5
Se queres ganhar uns Euritos s� tens de instalar esta barra de publicidade, que podes at� minimizar ou fechar em caso de utilizar programas de ecr� completo. N�o incomoda nada, nem consome recursos. Apenas d� dinheiro, �ptima para quando deixas o comptdor a sacar a noite toda... Recebes o dinheiro na tua conta PayPal. http://www.eurobarre.com/index_fr.php?p=373093897695 100% seguro by CrashOverride If you want to earn money just by sitting in front of your PC, just install this Bar that shows some publicity now and then. 100% safe, no malicious ware. http://www.eurobarre.com...

CRM 1.2 Implementation Tool Kit
Where can i find the CRM 1.2 Implementation Tool Kit. The ITK is only available via PartnerSource. You need to be a registered CRM partner to get it. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:21:00 -0700, "emc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Where can i find the CRM 1.2 Implementation Tool Kit. ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

merging cells #3
Hi, I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code and phone number. Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are grey and not black. Outlook does not see the new column. What could be the problem? Thanks AJS Solved it. "AJS" <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote in message news:%232OPgj%23dJHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... | Hi, | I got an Excel file from a friend where I combined two columns, area code | and phone number. | Everything works in Excel, except that the rows and column lines are | grey and not black. | Outlook does n...

a primary record can only have 1 sub record?
I have table A with the following columns: ID int identity(1,1) which is a primary key Name varchar(20) not null I have table B with the following columns: ID int identity(1,1) which is a primary key Type varchar(10) not null There will be a foreign key between table A and B using the ID columns. A few questions about this kind of layout: 1. Table A's records can only have 1 record from table B linked to it. How do you do this? 2. Table A is the "parent" table and table B is the "child" table. How do you do this? "Andy B." <a_bor...

Question on Connectors. 3 servers
I've confused myself. 3 servers: server1, server2 & server3. Server1 was our original Exchange box. We've outgrown that box and added another, and migrated most accounts to this server: Server2. We had been using NAV for Exchange, but have now purchased MailSweeper. Ran into some problems and decided I need a test server to work out these problems: Server3. I added a test account on the test server. With that account I can send and receive internet email. I did not add a IMC to the test server, so how am I able to "send" using this test account? thanks Hi Jo...

Adding alternate columns

delete first two words in a cell
hi, can someone tell me how i manage to delete the first two words in cell? eg. July 24: info prodid4775 gorass andreas -should become- info prodid4775 gorass andreas or is it possible to extract every word beginning at the third one? i was playing around with some code i found at excel tip: =IF(ISERR(FIND(" ",A1)),A1,LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)) it is supposed to extract the first word of A1. for some reason i only get an error message. i am working with excel 2002. hope someone can help me out greetz f -- flashing fran ------------------------------------------------...

Adding fields from a different query