Add text to formula?

I have this formula kindly given to me in one of these Excel ngs:

=COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*")

The challenge is that any custom text I add to the cell formatting
doesn't show up in the cell.  Would it be possible to add something
like this text below to the above (but also including line breaks)?:

Score
---------
You:Computer =
Formula result of:  =COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
Lost*")

Thanks!  :oD

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Have your tried doing this:

=3D"You:Computer =3D "&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
Lost*")

?

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 18, 6:29=A0pm, StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptS...@NoJunkMail.com>
wrote:
> I have this formula kindly given to me in one of these Excel ngs:
>
> =3DCOUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*")
>
> The challenge is that any custom text I add to the cell formatting
> doesn't show up in the cell. =A0Would it be possible to add something
> like this text below to the above (but also including line breaks)?:

> Score
> ---------
> You:Computer =3D
> Formula result of: =A0=3DCOUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
> Lost*")
>
> Thanks! =A0:oD

0
pashurst (2576)
5/18/2009 4:43:22 PM
Yes, you can do this:

=3D"You:Computer =3D "&CHAR(10)&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF
(E:E,"You Lost*")

You need to format the cell to Wrap Text, and you might need to adjust
the row height manually to see both.

Basically, the CHAR(10) is equivalent to <new line>.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 18, 7:02=A0pm, StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptS...@NoJunkMail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 09:43:22 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
>
> <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote:
> >Have your tried doing this:
>
> >=3D"You:Computer =3D "&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
> >Lost*")
>
> Close enough for now, thanks much. =A0Much better than what I had up
> till now which is a separate cell for the "title" of the score ratio.
>
> Just out of curiousity, is there no way to get in "carriage returns"
> in there, is there? =A0<g>
>
> Thanks! =A0:oD
>

> >?
>
> >Hope this helps.
>
> >Pete
>
> >On May 18, 6:29=A0pm, StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptS...@NoJunkMail.com>
> >wrote:
> >> I have this formula kindly given to me in one of these Excel ngs:
>
> >> =3DCOUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*")
>
> >> The challenge is that any custom text I add to the cell formatting
> >> doesn't show up in the cell. =A0Would it be possible to add something
> >> like this text below to the above (but also including line breaks)?:
>
> >> ****************************************************************
> >> Score
> >> ---------
> >> You:Computer =3D
> >> Formula result of: =A0=3DCOUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
> >> Lost*")
> >> ****************************************************************
>
> >> Thanks! =A0:oD- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)
5/18/2009 5:49:43 PM
<pashurst@auditel.net> wrote:

>Have your tried doing this:
>
>="You:Computer = "&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
>Lost*")

Close enough for now, thanks much.  Much better than what I had up
till now which is a separate cell for the "title" of the score ratio.

Just out of curiousity, is there no way to get in "carriage returns"
in there, is there?  <g>

Thanks!  :oD

>?
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Pete
>
>On May 18, 6:29�pm, StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptS...@NoJunkMail.com>
>wrote:
>> I have this formula kindly given to me in one of these Excel ngs:
>>
>> =COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Lost*")
>>
>> The challenge is that any custom text I add to the cell formatting
>> doesn't show up in the cell. �Would it be possible to add something
>> like this text below to the above (but also including line breaks)?:

>> Score
>> ---------
>> You:Computer =
>> Formula result of: �=COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
>> Lost*")
>>
>> Thanks! �:oD

On Mon, 18 May 2009 10:49:43 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
<pashurst@auditel.net> wrote:

>Yes, you can do this:
>
>="You:Computer = "&CHAR(10)&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF
>(E:E,"You Lost*")
>
>You need to format the cell to Wrap Text, and you might need to adjust
>the row height manually to see both.
>
>Basically, the CHAR(10) is equivalent to <new line>.
>
>Hope this helps.

Very kewl!  Will give this a try later on tonight.  Thanks!  :oD

>Pete
>
>On May 18, 7:02�pm, StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptS...@NoJunkMail.com>
>wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 May 2009 09:43:22 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
>>
>> <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote:
>> >Have your tried doing this:
>>
>> >="You:Computer = "&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF(E:E,"You
>> >Lost*")
>>
>> Close enough for now, thanks much. �Much better than what I had up
>> till now which is a separate cell for the "title" of the score ratio.
>>
>> Just out of curiousity, is there no way to get in "carriage returns"
>> in there, is there? �<g>
>>
>> Thanks! �:oD
>>

>> >?
>>
>> >Hope this helps.
>>
>> >Pete

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On May 19, 12:42=A0am, StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptS...@NoJunkMail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 10:49:43 -0700 (PDT), Pete_UK
>
> <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote:
> >Yes, you can do this:
>
> >=3D"You:Computer =3D "&CHAR(10)&COUNTIF(E:E,"You Won!*")&":"&COUNTIF
> >(E:E,"You Lost*")
>
> >You need to format the cell to Wrap Text, and you might need to adjust
> >the row height manually to see both.
>
> >Basically, the CHAR(10) is equivalent to <new line>.
>
> >Hope this helps.
>
> Very kewl! =A0Will give this a try later on tonight. =A0Thanks! =A0:oD
>

> >Pete
>
> >On May 18, 7:02=A0pm, StargateFan <IDon'tAcceptS...@NoJunkMail.com>
> >wrote:

> >> Close enough for now, thanks much. =A0Much better than what I had up
> >> till now which is a separate cell for the "title" of the score ratio.
>
> >> Just out of curiousity, is there no way to get in "carriage returns"
> >> in there, is there? =A0<g>
>
> >> Thanks! =A0:oD

You

pashurst (2576)

adding Text to the beginning of a control source
I want to say ="HELP"&Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] I want the word HELP then the start date 2 and finally the ID ie: HELP2010:12430 How do I put the text at the beginning? Where are you putting this? In the Control Source of control on a form/report? Then it should work as posted provided that [Session Start Date 2] and [ID] are in the object's record source. In a query? Then you just need a field alias and drop the = sign; MyHelpText: "HELP" & Format([Session Start Date 2],"yyyy\:mm") & [ID] ...

Formulas #16
=SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D6:S6),1,0)) Whatever the result of the above formulas, I want to minus 1 to that result, How do I put the syntax so it will minus 1 unit from the result? Thanks =SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D6:S6),1,0))-1 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Raymond" <NotValidEmail@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DLCdnW0OQ_lEp8ncRVn-pw@comcast.com... > =SUM(IF(ISTEXT(D6:S6),1,0)) > > Whatever the result of the above formulas, I want to minus 1 to that result, > How do I put the syntax so it will minus 1 unit from the result? > > Thanks > > What ...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Excel Add Ins

How do I send text or pictures in Outlook Express 6?
I am unable to be at any site, document, picture and send [via Outlook Express 6] anything to anyone as errors such as 'person unknown', 'error message of every nature immaginable', or 'you must be online with Outlook Express' [when in fact I am online and the default email program [Outlook Express 6] is activated and working with simple emails [and the typical trash spam you receive]; however, when I wish to send NASA documents or anything substantive within the state or federal goverment sites for higher education [i.e. Ohio University], this never works [Outlo...

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Excel formula for this...
Ok i want an excel formula to do this hopefully simple task... Say i have cell A1 with the word "dog" in it and cell B2 with the word "Cat" in it i want cell H5 to have the data in the previously mentioned cells so that it reads "dog, Cat" So in english i guess i want multiple cell values in once cell separated by a space or a comma or whatever. Thanks Max Try: =A1&", "&B2 MRO "Max Sand" <Max@gk.com> wrote in message news:Yx55b.4433$bC1.2817@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net... > Ok i want an excel formula to do this hope...

How do I increase the text size of an Excel cell?
Hi guys, Situation: I had a memo size field in MS Access. When I copied and pasted it into an MS Excel cell the text gets truncated? I can't believe that Microsoft has had about 5-6 versions of Excel and hasn't fixed this simple problem. Mike Web Developer and Catholic Apologist http://www.faithfulchristians.net I think this is by design. Not everyone would want the whole column resized because of a single truncated cell. "Mike_Humphrey" <Mike_Humphrey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79662172-C13B-4708-AAF4-B02511AD79AA@microsoft.com... > H...

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

Why does Publisher insert a leading space when pasting text?
When I paste text from MS Word into MS Publisher a space is inserted at the beginning of each paragraph. How can I prevent this? Paste special as unformatted text. Or with your cursor in the text box, select all, format, paragraph, set before paragraph 0pt. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Saints RFC fan" <SaintsRFCfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2E41BD3C-057D-4275-9832-8EE6AAA80243@microsoft.com... > When I past...

add a DC in a LegSite

excel add-ons

Automatically inserting text into cells which already contain text

Map Add-On?

Wrapping Text #2
I selected wrap text, but Excel isnt showing all the contents of the cell until I change the vertical height of the cell manually. It used to do this automatically. Can anyone help me? Is that a merged cell? If yes, the autofitting the rowheight won't work. Have you changed the rowheight manually? If yes, then excel will respect that setting until you autofit the rowheight once more. Confused wrote: > > I selected wrap text, but Excel isnt showing all the contents of the cell > until I change the vertical height of the cell manually. It used to do this > automatically. ...

text wrapping #3
How can I get text to flow through a picture? Right-click the text box, click format text box, layout tab, click "through." -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Carol" <Carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7EE1E11-4856-42EB-B472-514D1B44016D@microsoft.com... > How can I get text to flow through a picture? While waiting for decisions from his 6 university choices, Ed sees a message from Mary Sauer <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com>. On it is written: > Right-click the text ...

formula with moving range
I have a workbook that updates daily. When it updates the new updated value goes in the top row of the column lets say A3 and moves the rest of the values in the column down one row. I want to link these values to another workbook named Games2. What formula can I use to copy these values? example The first day it copies A3:A212 the next day A3:A213. Can anyone help? -- sctroy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sctroy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25928 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthrea...