Add rows on worksheet by date?

I've been asked to create a spreadsheet that will track vehicle miles
by route.  The drivers will note the odometer when they start the
route and the odometer when they return, so we can log that across a
row:
Vehicle - Route - Odo Start - Odo End - Calc Route Miles

They also want miles by vehicel by day.  Since a vehicle can travel
more than one route in a day, is there an easy way to do this?  My
original thought was to have input through validation drop-downs to
choose teh vehicle and the route - now I'm thinking of using a Form,
and the Enter Data button will automatically sort by date and vehicle
number to keep the same things together.  But can I use a formula to
calculate the miles by vehicle by date?  Or would that have to be a
macro code?

Ed
0
prof_ofwhat (194)
3/17/2008 9:24:26 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could do it with a pivot table or SUMPRODUCT.  I'll show the SUMPRODUCT
method

=SUMPRODUCT(--( A1:A100 = Date(2008,3,17)  ),--( D1:D100    ))

Where column A is the date, column D is the calculated miles and this is
pulling data for 3/17/2008.

--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Ed from AZ" wrote:

> I've been asked to create a spreadsheet that will track vehicle miles
> by route.  The drivers will note the odometer when they start the
> route and the odometer when they return, so we can log that across a
> row:
> Vehicle - Route - Odo Start - Odo End - Calc Route Miles
>
> They also want miles by vehicel by day.  Since a vehicle can travel
> more than one route in a day, is there an easy way to do this?  My
> original thought was to have input through validation drop-downs to
> choose teh vehicle and the route - now I'm thinking of using a Form,
> and the Enter Data button will automatically sort by date and vehicle
> number to keep the same things together.  But can I use a formula to
> calculate the miles by vehicle by date?  Or would that have to be a
> macro code?
>
> Ed

This sounds like a nice project to learn about pivottables.

You'll be able to create nice reports based on vehicle, route, or combinations.

If you've never used pivottables, here are a few links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
0

The -- is used to coerce things that look like numbers to numbers or even
convert booleans (true/falses) to 1/0's.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=Date(2008,3,17)),D1:D100)

And in this case, since it's just dependent on one field (the date field), the
OP could use:

=sumif(a1:a100,date(2008,3,17),d1:d100)
or
=sumif(a:a,date(2008,3,17),d:d)

=sumif() can use the entire column.

=sumproduct() can only use the entire column in xl2007.

--

Dave Peterson
0

If I remember correctly, for a pivot table to work right, these should
be sorted by:
-- Vehicle
-- Date
-- Route
yes??

(Or probably Date, then Vehicle, since more than one vhicle will run
on one day.  Would it make a difference?)

I'm also thinking of going ahead with the validation drop-downs for
data entry, but have a macro on workbook_close to do the sort.  (I can
force them to enable macros before they can open and use the book.)

Does that sound like it'll work?

Ed

On Mar 17, 6:04=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> This sounds like a nice project to learn about pivottables.
>
> You'll be able to create nice reports based on vehicle, route, or combinat=
ions.

> If you've never used pivottables, here are a few links:
>
> Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:http://peltiertech.com/Ex=
cel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
> And Debra's own site:http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
>
> John Walkenbach also has some at:http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.=
htm
> (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)
>
> Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:http://www.cpearson.com/excel/p=
ivots.htm

> MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2=
000/XCrtPiv.aspxhttp://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT=
101.aspx

> Ed from AZ wrote:
>
> > I've been asked to create a spreadsheet that will track vehicle miles
> > by route. =A0The drivers will note the odometer when they start the
> > route and the odometer when they return, so we can log that across a
> > row:
> > Vehicle - Route - Odo Start - Odo End - Calc Route Miles
>
> > They also want miles by vehicel by day. =A0Since a vehicle can travel
> > more than one route in a day, is there an easy way to do this? =A0My
> > original thought was to have input through validation drop-downs to
> > choose teh vehicle and the route - now I'm thinking of using a Form,
> > and the Enter Data button will automatically sort by date and vehicle
> > number to keep the same things together. =A0But can I use a formula to
> > calculate the miles by vehicle by date? =A0Or would that have to be a
> > macro code?
>
> > Ed
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

prof_ofwhat (194)
3/18/2008 4:36:24 PM
Nope.  The raw data that is used to create the pivottable doesn't have to be
sorted.

And you may want to look at Data|Form for data entry.

If that's close to what you want, but not quite right, you could try one of
these:

John Walkenbach has an enhanced data form:
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

And the source code is available for a small fee ($20 USA, IIRC).

And if that's not sufficient, then maybe you could design your own input
userform.

Debra Dalgleish shares some tips:
http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

Peter Aiken Articles:
Part I
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffpro01/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartI.asp
Part II
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffsol02/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartII.asp

Ed from AZ wrote:

> Thanks, Dave.  I've actually been wanting to get into pivt tables for
> a while - just never had a good excuse.  Actually, the Boss says he
> can do pivots - but I kinda think he means for _me_ to do the number
> crunching, so I'll be ready!  8>)
>
> If I remember correctly, for a pivot table to work right, these should
> be sorted by:
> -- Vehicle
> -- Date
> -- Route
> yes??
>
> (Or probably Date, then Vehicle, since more than one vhicle will run
> on one day.  Would it make a difference?)
>
> I'm also thinking of going ahead with the validation drop-downs for
> data entry, but have a macro on workbook_close to do the sort.  (I can
> force them to enable macros before they can open and use the book.)
>
> Does that sound like it'll work?
>
> Ed
>
> On Mar 17, 6:04 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> > This sounds like a nice project to learn about pivottables.
> >
> > You'll be able to create nice reports based on vehicle, route, or combinations.
> >
> > If you've never used pivottables, here are a few links:
> >
> > Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
> > And Debra's own site:http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
> >
> > John Walkenbach also has some at:http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
> > (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)
> >
> > Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm
> >
> > MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspxhttp://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx
> >

> > Ed from AZ wrote:
> >
> > > I've been asked to create a spreadsheet that will track vehicle miles
> > > by route.  The drivers will note the odometer when they start the
> > > route and the odometer when they return, so we can log that across a
> > > row:
> > > Vehicle - Route - Odo Start - Odo End - Calc Route Miles
> >
> > > They also want miles by vehicel by day.  Since a vehicle can travel
> > > more than one route in a day, is there an easy way to do this?  My
> > > original thought was to have input through validation drop-downs to
> > > choose teh vehicle and the route - now I'm thinking of using a Form,
> > > and the Enter Data button will automatically sort by date and vehicle
> > > number to keep the same things together.  But can I use a formula to
> > > calculate the miles by vehicle by date?  Or would that have to be a
> > > macro code?
> >
> > > Ed
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
3/18/2008 5:17:46 PM
Thanks so much, Dave!!  I'll chew on these for a while and post back
with more questions as I need to.

I greatly appreciate the boost!
Ed

On Mar 18, 10:17=A0am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Nope. =A0The raw data that is used to create the pivottable doesn't have t=
o be
> sorted. =A0
>
> And you may want to look at Data|Form for data entry.
>
> If that's close to what you want, but not quite right, you could try one o=
> these:
>
> John Walkenbach has an enhanced data form:http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/in=
dex.htm

> And the source code is available for a small fee ($20 USA, IIRC).
>
> And if that's not sufficient, then maybe you could design your own input
> userform. =A0
>
> Debra Dalgleish shares some tips:http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html
>
> Peter Aiken Articles:
> Part Ihttp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffpro01/html/Introduction=
t...
> Part IIhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffsol02/html/Introductio=
nt...

> Ed from AZ wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Dave. =A0I've actually been wanting to get into pivt tables for
> > a while - just never had a good excuse. =A0Actually, the Boss says he
> > can do pivots - but I kinda think he means for _me_ to do the number
> > crunching, so I'll be ready! =A08>)
>
> > If I remember correctly, for a pivot table to work right, these should
> > be sorted by:
> > -- Vehicle
> > -- Date
> > -- Route
> > yes??
>
> > (Or probably Date, then Vehicle, since more than one vhicle will run
> > on one day. =A0Would it make a difference?)
>
> > I'm also thinking of going ahead with the validation drop-downs for
> > data entry, but have a macro on workbook_close to do the sort. =A0(I can=

> > force them to enable macros before they can open and use the book.)
>
> > Does that sound like it'll work?
>
> > Ed
>
> > On Mar 17, 6:04 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> > > This sounds like a nice project to learn about pivottables.
>
> > > You'll be able to create nice reports based on vehicle, route, or comb=
inations.

> > > If you've never used pivottables, here are a few links:
>
> > > Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:http://peltiertech.co=
m/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
> > > And Debra's own site:http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
>
> > > John Walkenbach also has some at:http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/gene=
ral.htm
> > > (look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)
>
> > > Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:http://www.cpearson.com/exc=
el/pivots.htm

> > > MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):http://office.microsoft.com/downloa=
ds/2000/XCrtPiv.aspxhttp://office....

> > > --
>
> > > Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

> Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

prof_ofwhat (194)

log file of email open time/date
Hi, I needed to know if there is a way to keep a log file or to view information about when the emails I receive are opened. I probably needed information like date and time. I am the person opening the emails but I needed to show someone when I opened them. Emails are coming from various different people using different email software, so it can't be tracked from their end. I have Outlook 2000, but might need to use it in different versions of Outlook. so if you know of a feature that I can use, can you also tell me if it's available for different versions? thanks a lot. I apprec...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Transfering data from 1 worksheet to another
I have several worksheets that are used to input data into to a summary worksheet for a golf league One of the worksheets is a schedule. The schedule worksheet has 18 columns (one for each week) and the 32 rows have the team's tee positions and opponents for that week. When the summary worksheets is printed each week it has the current weeks schedule shown. I would like to be able to have the current week's scheduled transfered to the summary sheet by identifying the week number and have the data transfered from the schedule worksheet to the summary worksheet. I tried the lookup...

How do I change the source worksheet for 100 charts automatically.
I have a worksheet with 100 charts that source a set of five worksheets, financial forecast A. I create several forecasts (sets of 5 worksheets) and copy over worksheet with 100 charts, but the charts reference financial forecast A when I want them to source from financial forecast B. To change the chart source to financial forecast B, I now have to open each chart and change the source from A to B. Is there a way to do this automatically, similar to the edit, find, replace function for data in cells? Hi, You would need to write VBA code to do this. Given you know what the value is...

Excel Add Ins

Dates in Excel #6
In natural history, including museum records, it is commonplace to use a date with lower case letters for the month, e.g. 19.x.2004 = 19th October 2004 or 01.iii.1999 = 1st March 1999. It would help users if this format were added as a standard and could be converted. For what it is worth... If you add dates as text by preceeding the entry with a ' , for example, '19/11/2004 and then apply the following formula =LEFT(A8,2)&"."&LOWER((ROMAN(MONTH(A8)))&"."&RIGHT(A8,4)) you will get 19.xi.2004 as the output. Does this help? Possibly I could m...

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Print a list of my worksheets?
I have a spreadsheet with about 30 worksheets. Is there a way in which I can print out a list of the worksheet names? Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm "DaveL" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with about 30 worksheets. Is there a way in which I can > print out a list of the worksheet names? Frank Very many thanks. "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > see: > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm > > "DaveL" wrote: > > > I have a spreadsheet with about 30 worksheets. Is there a way in which I can > ...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

Why does this not work (selecting a date) ?
SELECT CDate((Month(RecordDate) & '/' & Day(RecordDate) & '/' & Year(RecordDate)) AS RecDate This converts 8/31/2007 to 8/1/2007 Works fine for me with 2003 SP2. You omitted a closing parenthesis. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "mscertified" wrote: > SELECT CDate((Month(RecordDate) & '/' & Day(RecordDate) & '/' & > Year(RecordDate)) AS RecDate > > This converts 8/31/2007 to 8/1/2007 Where is the missing parentheses? I count 4 opening and 4 closing??? "KARL DEWEY" wrote: >...

add a DC in a LegSite

Get Start date of Week number and Year
I’d like to build the following expression in my query GetStartWeekNumber(DatePart("ww",[EnteredDate]), Year([EnteredDate])) So if EnteredDate = 11/3/2009 the function would return 11/1/2009 But GetStartWeekNumber does not exist as an Access Built-In Function. Is there another way to do this as an expression in a query? I’m not familiar with creating my own functions. Thanks. That would depend on how you define the start of the week... One option would be to get the day-of-week number of the date (in my system/setup, Monday is day 2), then subtract one less than that...

excel add-ons

Creating a new list with Last Order Date
I do have a customer transaction history. I would like to get the latest order date with amount in to another sheet instead of all the orders under same account number and bring the rest of the corresponding info to the other columns. Such as bill to information for my new sales rep. Can someone help me? Thanks Vedat A2=Customer Number B2=Order numbers C2=Order dates D2=Order Amounts D3=Bill to Name etc. A2 B2 C2 D2 CA123 1234 10/11/06 $500 CA123 2345 09/10/06 $200 CA123...

copy row to different tab
Creating a SS with 6 tabs(master,A,B,C,D,E) each having 5 columns(doc#,category,date,box,folder). "Category" can have 5 different values, A,B,C,D,E According to which value in 'category' is entered in master I want to copy the row and move it to corresponding tab. Can an IF statement do this? thanks, L. Worksheet functions cannot 'physically' copy rows or columns, nor can they format, hide, display, delete or add rows/columns. Your question included "copy and move", so that definitely rules out worksheet functions. To me, the &q...

Map Add-On?

Consolidating and totaling rows into single row
I have an Excel 2003 spreadsheet with Position Title, Location, Pay Plan, Position Series, Position Grade, and FTEs. I want to organize this data by Position Title, then Location, then Grade, and finally FTEs. For example, I have multiple rows of Human Resources Specialist in different locations, in different grades each with a FTE of 1. I'd like to consolidate each row of Human Resources Specialist in the same location in the same grade and have the row display the total number of FTEs for that title in that grade at that location. Thanks in advance for your help! A p...