Add a decimal to each number on a list of whole numbers

I have a long list (column) of whole numbers (dollar amounts) and would like
to add a decimal point on each number.  example change the numbers from
2927568021 to 29275680.21.  I have tried changing the format, but it keeps
adding 2 zeros on the end.  thanks
0
Will123 (5)
9/16/2009 5:24:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You mean that you want to divide every number in that column by 100
(as in your example)? If so, then enter 100 into a blank cell
somewhere, select that cell and click <copy>. Then select all the
cells in the column of interest and Edit | Paste Special | Values
(check) | Divide (check) | OK then <Esc>. Then you can delete the 100
from the original cell.

You might need to change the format to Number with a display of 2
decimal places.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 16, 6:24=A0pm, Will123 <Will...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a long list (column) of whole numbers (dollar amounts) and would l=
ike
> to add a decimal point on each number. =A0example change the numbers from
> 2927568021 to 29275680.21. =A0I have tried changing the format, but it ke=
eps
> adding 2 zeros on the end. =A0thanks

0
pashurst (2576)
9/16/2009 5:39:55 PM
put 100 in a cell, copy it, select the list of numbers paste special,
and select the Divide operation.

Will123 wrote:

> I have a long list (column) of whole numbers (dollar amounts) and would like
> to add a decimal point on each number.  example change the numbers from
> 2927568021 to 29275680.21.  I have tried changing the format, but it keeps
> adding 2 zeros on the end.  thanks

0
birelan (531)

how to read the serial number of a mother board?
Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! Crystal On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:07:16 +0800, "Crystal Lin" <linwingyee@hotmail.com> wrote: >Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! > Do all computers have "mother boards" and do all mother boards have serial numbers? > Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! You can read the Serial Number of the hard drive using DiskId32 at http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.html . Lynn Let me guess: another mis...

All my Emails turned into Junk Mail but not on Junk Mail List. Is this a virus?
How do I remove a name from the Junk List if the name is not shown in the junk list but is noted as junk email in the field chooser Junk Mail column of inbound messages? Went to junk sender list and cant find the names, but these names automatically go to Delete folder, although I never placed them there. When i make a new rule, they still have the Junk Mail label attached. Very bizarre. Can anyone help????? ...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

can I get cells with a minus number to show zero
I have a cell which has a basic formula in (adding up from 2 other cells) This number can end up being a minus number (-167), If this happens I need to be able to make that minus number appear as a zero (0). Is this possible? please help. =IF(A1+B1<0,0,A1+B1) Alternative =MAX(0,A1+B1) Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 7 May 2005 08:28:03 -0700, "marcus1066" <marcus1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a cell which has a basic formula in (adding up from 2 other cells) >This number can end up being a minus number (-167), If this happens I need to >be...

Excel Add Ins

Number entered automatically cut off
Hello, When I enter 100, it display 1, When I enter 1000, it display 10, ChefChaudart, Is that bad ? <grin> That is one of those things that everyone runs into you change the option and it doesn't seem to do anything so you leave it changed. If you enter a decimal point everything is normal i.e. 1000. or 1000.50 but if you fail to enter a decimal point your option in Tools, Options, Edit (tab), [x] fixed decimals 2 will be used. Remove the checkmark and you'll be fine. You can try that on your boss at April Fool's time as long as their not doing your sal...

Add on

Print a list of my worksheets?
I have a spreadsheet with about 30 worksheets. Is there a way in which I can print out a list of the worksheet names? Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm "DaveL" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with about 30 worksheets. Is there a way in which I can > print out a list of the worksheet names? Frank Very many thanks. "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > see: > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm > > "DaveL" wrote: > > > I have a spreadsheet with about 30 worksheets. Is there a way in which I can > ...

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

highest number #2
Hi, Let's keep the problem simple. I have one cell that uses an exchange rate from the internet. That cell changes every minute. What I want to do: In an other cell, I want to keep the highest exchange rate ever. So for example: 6:00 exchange rate = 5.00 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:01 exchange rate = 4.98 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:02 exchange rate = 5.02 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:03 exchange rate = 5.01 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:04 exchange rate = 5.03 -- highest exchange rate is 5.03 Of course nor for any minute I use a new cell, it just change the n...

Number of active sheets
I have Office 2003 installed to Windows 2003 terminal servers but I have a problem with on of our users and excel. The issue is that when the user is trying to have multiple spreadsheets opened he keeps getting the message "This operations has been cancelled due to system restrictions- Contact your system Administrator" I can find no setting in excel to enforce a limit on the number of speadsheets a user can have open. Thanks in advance fo any advise Michael Not an expert in these matters, but; Is it possible that the user is trying to initiate another session of Excel vs....

Number to Number "Data Type Mismatch in Expression" in Join
I am attempting to write a query joining two linked tables in a query by payroll number (all numeric). When write the query and join by payroll number I get the "Data Type Mismatch in Expression" error. Both tables have the Data Type as "Number", but the only difference I can tell is one has "Field Size" as "Decimal" and the other has "Field Size" as "Double". I have even tried to join on the VAL() of each payroll number field with no luck. Any ideas? "Decimal" and "Double" are actually different dat...

MS Office X Exceeds Number of....
Clicked standard Mac Office upgrade yesterday, now Entourage is disabled because of message the reads This installation of Microsoft Office X exceeds the number of installations permitted by the license agreement. User name is already using this installation of Microsoft Office X. The program will now quit. I have MS Office package with 3 product keys. I'm using my laptop now, but originally it was installed on my primary desktop Mac. What's the solution to this problem? SHould I be concerned about preserving my emails -- on Entourage, if I need to reload software? Please advise....

Junk mail and Exception List
The Junk Mail List is deleting email that I would like to keep. I have read MS "junk email filters for outlook", so I have added the sender to my "exception" list but it still gets deleted. I think because the words "order today" show up in the email. does anyone know of a way to correct this? Thanks. ...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Select Names Listing for Sending Emails to Contacts
My Outlook 2002 Contacts list is set up to show last names first, and contacts are filed accordingly. However, when I compose an email and try to Select Name, the contacts are listed with first names first. How can I correct this so that contacts will be listed last name first there, also? Tools, e-mail accounts, view /modify address books - properties of outlook address book - choose 'file as' and close. Note - posting your valid e-mail address in a newsgroup post, or in your news account settings, is a surefire way to get spam and SWEN and other viruses sent to you....see ht...

AutoFilter list of values
When I activate the auto filter, a drop down lists the unique values within the column. How could I get this list of unique values? Hi RJH, As far as I know this can only be done with advanced filter. Select Data-Filter-Advanced Filter and check the Unique records only box. Cheers, JF. Another way to extract the list of unique values Suppose the data is in col A, A1 down Put in C1: =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)>1,"",ROW()) Put in B1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(C:C,ROWS($A$1:A1))),"",INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(C:C,ROWS($A$1 :A1)),C:C,0))) Select B1:C1 and copy down till the last ro...

How do I display exact fractions instead of decimals?
How do I display exact fractions instead of being reduced, or changed to a decimal? I am doing a spreadsheet which has fractions to describe some things, and Excel either reduces the fraction (ex. 3/6 to 1/2, or 2/2 to 1) or enters it as a decimal (ex. 2/5 to 0.4). How do I stop it from doing this? I didn't want to store the fractions as text because i'm not sure if they will then work in formulas. As fractions, I think the best you can do is have a fixed denominator in a custom format: ??/6 This will display 0.5 as "3/6" HTH. :>) -- Dana DeLouis Win XP &a...

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

add a DC in a LegSite

excel add-ons