Access vs Excel

I wanted to get the opinion of both the excel and access group on this
subject.

We currently have an ERP but is lacking in some aspects.  In order to get
around the shortcomings, I have an user that is very proficient with excel.
He has made spreadsheets that access the information out of our ERP and
mimics some of it's functions.

He is using excel to store information and has created interfaces for users
to enter in data.

My question is, should we continue using excel to do this.  We have hundreds
of excel files that get created with information everywhere. OR should we
start using access to manage this.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,
Jasper

0
jrecto99 (56)
3/27/2008 12:27:53 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I am an Access developer and I spend probably 80% of my development time
converting Excel spreadsheets into fully featured Access databases.  From my
view, it seems risky to leverage your data management with Excel as your
database and reporting tool.  In some of the most elaborate Excel
spreadsheets I have seen, a well thought form(s) for data entry beats the
look of a spreadsheet format.  Make a mistake in Excel, and sometimes you may
just corrupt all your data, rendering the spreadsheet unusable, what are your
options at that point??  There are many other reasons for implementing Access
vs. Excel, just as there may also be many reasons for investigating SQL
Server as your database solution vs. Access.

"Jaz" wrote:

> I wanted to get the opinion of both the excel and access group on this
> subject.
>
> We currently have an ERP but is lacking in some aspects.  In order to get
> around the shortcomings, I have an user that is very proficient with excel.
> He has made spreadsheets that access the information out of our ERP and
> mimics some of it's functions.
>
> He is using excel to store information and has created interfaces for users
> to enter in data.
>
> My question is, should we continue using excel to do this.  We have hundreds
> of excel files that get created with information everywhere. OR should we
> start using access to manage this.
>
> Any thoughts on this subject?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

0
box2003 (1)
3/27/2008 12:44:00 PM
I have beeen in a similar position ona smaller scale where my sales
reports were dependent upon data captured into Excel from our main
accouting system.  With the passage of thime, though, I realised that
the size of the database was too unwieldy for Excel.  Now all my data
is in Access, I have links to the accouting system's SQL tables as
well, and i can produce pivot table reports etc in Excel from the
Access queries I have written.   This is much beeter than using Excel
alone.

Regards

Chris

On Mar 27, 12:27=A0pm, "Jaz" <jrect...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wanted to get the opinion of both the excel and access group on this
As soon as I see "hundreds of spreadsheets" this is telling me that you need
a database.  If you make a change on one of the spreadhseets you probably
have to go do it on all of the others, whereas in Access you just change it
once, then select which data to apply it to.

"Jaz" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I wanted to get the opinion of both the excel and access group on this
> subject.
>
> We currently have an ERP but is lacking in some aspects.  In order to get
> around the shortcomings, I have an user that is very proficient with
> excel.
> He has made spreadsheets that access the information out of our ERP and
> mimics some of it's functions.
>
> He is using excel to store information and has created interfaces for
> users
> to enter in data.
>
> My question is, should we continue using excel to do this.  We have
> hundreds
> of excel files that get created with information everywhere. OR should we
> start using access to manage this.
>
> Any thoughts on this subject?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

0
mskabialka (118)
3/27/2008 2:25:03 PM
I would say the answer  is right there in your question: " We have hundreds
of excel files that get created with information everywhere."

The key words being "hundreds" and "everywhere".

0
Ghepworth (1)
3/27/2008 2:30:43 PM
I agree with both posters. I too work with Access and have converted many
spreadsheets to Access. Excel is excellent and I am taking nothing away from
it as it is a very powerful application. however, for storing data Access is
more flexible. Access is designed for this sort of thing and will be much
more efficient. Retrieving the data will be more simplistic because of the
variety of way way to format your reports and the various way to pull your
data from one form. In otherwords, as your users are inputting data, when
it's time to pull a report you can have a form set up with all your reports
and each report can pull in a variety of ways wil a click of button. Also,
depending on how much information (fields) you have, on a spreadsheet you are
running across it to view information at the end. In access, everything is
placed on a form an you can view each record on the full screen one at a time
instead of trying to follow one record across the spreadsheet on hope your on
the same row without having to use a ruler (it's just a small thing but
important).

"Jaz" wrote:

> I wanted to get the opinion of both the excel and access group on this
> subject.
>
> We currently have an ERP but is lacking in some aspects.  In order to get
> around the shortcomings, I have an user that is very proficient with excel.
> He has made spreadsheets that access the information out of our ERP and
> mimics some of it's functions.
>
> He is using excel to store information and has created interfaces for users
> to enter in data.
>
> My question is, should we continue using excel to do this.  We have hundreds
> of excel files that get created with information everywhere. OR should we
> start using access to manage this.
>
> Any thoughts on this subject?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

hi, jasper !

> I wanted to get the opinion of both the excel and access group on this subject.
> We currently have an ERP but is lacking in some aspects.
> In order to get around the shortcomings, I have an user that is very proficient with excel.
> He has made spreadsheets that access the information out of our ERP and mimics some of it's functions.
> He is using excel to store information and has created interfaces for users to enter in data.
> My question is, should we continue using excel to do this.
> We have hundreds of excel files that get created with information everywhere.
> OR should we start using access to manage this.
> Any thoughts on this subject?

since your post is in an excel n-g, let me express my point of view...

- "hundreds of spreadsheet" means (for me) your are working hardly (but you can do it in an more intelligent manner)

- access (or data bases) requires "well-design" from the beginning (so, you should use this "requirement" for excel)

- tips ?
  RDBMS
  Building and using a relational database in Excel (with a little help from MS Query)
  http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/rdbms_in_excel/index.html

  very interesting paper:
  http://www.fmsinc.com/tpapers/genaccess/DBOD.asp

hth,
hector.

IMO the correct answer is depends... If hundreds of files is a problem then a
database might just be the way to go. However I have seen instances where
this was not a problem. For example creating Journal Entries. The spreadsheet
extracted data from ERP tables and used that to generate month end accruals.
Ultimately there were hundreds of these spreadsheets. Since they were
properly organized there was no issue. The nice part was that the files were
easily transfered to auditors when questions arose.

Of course I have also seen just the opposite.

In general I like spreadsheets more for doing analysis than as an integral
part of the system. Hooking an XL pivot table back to source files (no longer
restricted by the 65K limit) or with MS Query to extract and analyze data...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jaz" wrote:

> I wanted to get the opinion of both the excel and access group on this
> subject.
>
> We currently have an ERP but is lacking in some aspects.  In order to get
> around the shortcomings, I have an user that is very proficient with excel.
> He has made spreadsheets that access the information out of our ERP and
> mimics some of it's functions.
>
> He is using excel to store information and has created interfaces for users
> to enter in data.
>
> My question is, should we continue using excel to do this.  We have hundreds
> of excel files that get created with information everywhere. OR should we
> start using access to manage this.
>
> Any thoughts on this subject?
>
> Thanks,
> Jasper

Very slow Excel
Hi, Recently my excel has trouble opening and closing my workbooks. I takes about 30 seconds to open or close a workbook. Furthermore, i takes far too long to save a workbook. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to speed things up? My workbooks are not large, so that should not be a problem. There ar VBA scripts in the workbooks, but not much, so that should not be problem either. If you have any idea what I can do about this, please respond. Yours truly, Berend Botj -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Not too sure myself, but I first think of these areas: 1) Is yo...

Price Comparison Macro
I have a workbook with four sheets in it. On each of the first three sheets, located in cells F33:F52 and N33:N52 are unit prices. The fourth sheet is blank. I would like to know if (and how) a macro can be created that would look at the unit price in cell F33 of Sheet 1, then compare it to the unit price in F33 of Sheet 2 and F33 of Sheet three, decide which is the lowest, and place it in the cell F33 of sheet 4. Then, look at the next cell (F34) and do the same thing, etc. I am an absolute novie with VBA, but really need this. It would make my life so much easier. Thanks. Gosh...

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

excel template #9
I want to make excel template (like invoice.xlt, village software.xlt, expenses.xlt etc. which are readymade in Excel). Is there any website which will help me learn with easy steps to prepare template files? Pl. guide. -- Knowldege is Power Maybe you can glean some stuff from J.E. McGimpsey: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html Ajit Munj wrote: > > I want to make excel template (like invoice.xlt, village software.xlt, > expenses.xlt > etc. which are readymade in Excel). Is there any website which will help > me learn with easy steps to prepare template...

VS hangs frequently ...
Hi, My VS 2005 frequently hangs for more than 10 seconds. I just saw a pop up message from the XP notification area (on the screen's right bottom small area that has a clock). It says "Visual studio is performing an internal operation. If you often encounter this problem ...". I did not have enough time to read it or click it before it disappeared. Does it point me to some trouble shooting web sites for frequent short-term (between 10 and 20 seconds) hanging problems? Your help is much appreciated. JD Are you are using Vista without the update for Vista? Tom &qu...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel should have an open/close high/low chart for stock market u.
We're trying to develop a chart that would compare the price of grain traded on the Chicago Board of Trade (cbot) to our average price reported in Iowa. It would require four data points for the cbot info - open/close & high/low - and one for the comparator, in this case the average price for our state. We would like to see this chart added to Excel, but even if it is not added, we welcome any suggestions or recommendations of charting software compatible with Excel. Oh, by the way, we're using Excel 2003. Hi, Jon Peltier has a few stock (ochl) chart variations, check his...

Excel Row to Access Columns

HELP: VBScript to detect error messages in excel VBA
I wish to use vbscript to automate macros running over many workbooks. I will allow a number to run at any given time, therefore i need to use vbscript to detect if a macro has ended. This is not posing an issue. The issue I foresee is if the macro being run in the excel book decides to error (maybe because an SQL server is down, or any reason really)... I need the ability to have vbscript work out that the runtime error has occurred in the excel workbook, kill the application, then re-launch the workbook to allow the maco a second run. Essentially, how will i use vbscript to...

Access

Excel, ODBC and creating queries
Does anyone know of a way to create a query based on values or formula in a spreadsheeet? Thanks in advance, J -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com From reading between the lines of your post, I am guessing that you have an Access Database with which you want to create a query based on a spreadsheet. If this is the case, you will need to open your database and in the tables section of your databse , right mouse click in the area showing your table names, and select "Link Tables" from the menu. Once you have followed the rest of the steps in the link wizard, a...

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Excel Question 11-12-09
Can someone help a newB about how to copy a cell (which contains a count formula) to another worksheet. I need it to just copy the # so it can go into a worksheet that is totaling order #'s? 1) Copy the cell with the formula in it showing the value you want 2) Switch to the other sheet and select the target cell (do not press ENTER on it) 3) Click on EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL > Values That should paste in just the value of the formula, not the formula itself. Does that help? -- "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB (www.MadRocketScientist.com) Your...

Charts Excel 2003
I have several Dynamic Charts that plot daily data and a Month to date value. I show the data table. I am using line charts, and adding a Trendline. How can I show the Month To Date value without having it affect the daily trendline? You shouldn't include the MTD value as part of the daily value series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Gringarlow" <Gringarlow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8CD46CAB-4A3F-457A-8C6B-03FF488C0011@microsoft.c...

making a primary key in excel
hiya, i would just like to know howq you can format a column so that it automatically inserts an ID when i input a new record. ta ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ your best bet is to have a formula such as =A1+1 in the cell A2, but you would need to drag this formula down. If you don't want users to overtype this, you'd need to lock it down and protect the sheet. Cheers, Katherine "electric_d" <electric_d.vqwbb@excelforum-nospam...

Outlook Web Access #19

Excel Student Absentee worksheet
I have in the first row the school days for this year In the first column I have all my student names. I want to enter a 1 if the student is absent that day, and if they come in or leave early the time, i.e., 8:34. Our school day runs from 8 till 3, which is 420 minutes. I want a column that keeps a running total of days and minutes a student is absent. When I type in 8:34 for instance, I want it to subtract the number of minutes missed from the total day and write it in the same cell while also adding to the 'days missed' column the total day/minutes missed. When a student is tardy ...

Break
Hi, I've happen to forgot my password on excel file, is there a remedy to break through password ? Any suggest greatly appreciate it. Sothea See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html In article <BA385061-C0EB-4778-8742-0AD31D829903@microsoft.com>, "Soth" <Soth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I've happen to forgot my password on excel file, is there a remedy to break > through password ? > > Any suggest greatly appreciate it. > > Sothea Online password recovery service at passwordnow.com(expres...

How do I print a footer on the last page only of an excel doc?
How do I print a footer on the last page only of an excel doc? Is this possible? Hi Only with code Sub test() Dim TotPages As Long TotPages = Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro("GET.DOCUMENT(50)") With ActiveSheet.PageSetup .RightFooter = "" ActiveSheet.PrintOut From:=1, To:=TotPages - 1 .RightFooter = "Your Header info" ActiveSheet.PrintOut From:=TotPages, To:=TotPages End With End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "CLDelafield" <CLDelafield@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...