A document with the name "*.xls " is already open ...etc

When opening XL  I get the following message ............
"A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc
I've learned to ignore the message  and it doesn't seem to affect anything
BUT does anyone know why I get this message.
I like to solve problems not ignore them ..............

Merci

0
gacoles (5)
11/20/2003 6:42:41 PM
excel 39880 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Gary

First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore
other applications"

OR  Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the /
mark).

You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround
with quotes as in.....  "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver

Gord Dibben   XL2002

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:42:41 GMT, "Gary Coles" <gacoles@telus.net> wrote:

>When opening XL  I get the following message ............
>"A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc
>I've learned to ignore the message  and it doesn't seem to affect anything
>BUT does anyone know why I get this message.
>I like to solve problems not ignore them ..............
>
>Merci

Gord Dibben   XL2002
0
Gord

Gord D. Re "A document with the name *.xls already open
"/unregserver followed by /regserver" instruction worked ! Thank you very much Gary Thanks Gary Will start posting that along with the other tips. Gord On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:22:34 GMT, "Gary Coles" <gacoles@telus.net> wrote: >"/unregserver followed by /regserver" >instruction worked ! > >Thank you very much > >Gary > ...

Gord D. "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc
I posted this question originally on Nov 20th and received a reply from Gord Dibben ( Thanks) The Tools option " ignore other applications" is not checked and regserver doesn't seem to do anything I should have specified I'm using Office '97 Pro in WinXP ( Full install) The problem surfaced while I was using my previous OS Win98SE When opening XL I get the following message ............ "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc I've learned to ignore the message and it doesn't seem to affect anything BUT does anyone k...

can it be modified to filter & list *.xls files only?
Hi, The below code successfully lists all files from the selected drive (including all subfolders). I need to modify it to list the "*.xls" files only. Can someone show me how?. TIA Here goes... ================== Option Explicit Private Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDList Lib "shell32.dll" _ Alias "SHGetPathFromIDListA" _ (ByVal pidl As Long, _ ByVal pszPath As String) As Long Private Declare Function SHBrowseForFolder Lib "shell32.dll" _ Alias "SHBrowseForFolderA" _ (lpBrowseInfo As BROWSEINFO) As Long Private Type BROW...

A document with the name "*.xls " is already open ...etc
When opening XL I get the following message ............ "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc I've learned to ignore the message and it doesn't seem to affect anything BUT does anyone know why I get this message. I like to solve problems not ignore them .............. Merci Gary First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe.....

"A document with the name *.xls is already open" error message
I've just started getting the above error when I try to open an Excel spreedsheet. Anybody have any idea what's causing this? Maybe Debra Dalgleish knows: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen James Houston wrote: > > I've just started getting the above error when I try to open an Excel > spreedsheet. Anybody have any idea what's causing this? -- Dave Peterson ...

*.xls file won't open even with Excel2002
This particular file is about 700KB and it is routinely editted using Excel 2000 and it is normally saved in Win95 format. Today it suddenly closed itself and when I tried to reopen it Excel said it was already open and asked if I wanted to revert back to the saved version. I do not recall how I answered this but I could not get it to open and it did not show up in the Window tab. When attempting to open the file, the screen just remained inactive. Other files were open and I was able to open new files. I decided to reboot and held my breath but all I got was a message at the bottom opening au...

Versions of the *.xls format
Hi, at which excelversion is the *.xls format the same? I personally estimate that 97, 2000, xp and 2003 use the same format. Is this correct or not ? Thanks in advance!!! Yours Joerg "J. B." <jbrosda@web.de> wrote in message news:deaa5aa0.0312190057.53e648b6@posting.google.com... > Hi, > at which excelversion is the *.xls format the same? > I personally estimate that 97, 2000, xp and 2003 use the same format. > Is this correct or not ? Yes. Excel 97 and later all use the same file format (called BIFF8). -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pe...

How To convert *.XLS TO *.XML
I am from Taiwan , Any one know How to convert *.XLS TO *.XML Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Taiwan guy! :) Excel gives you an option of saving the file as an xml spreadsheet. have never used it but you could try it as a first option. Go to Fil -> Save As and choose "*.xml" as file type. Regards, Ra -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Forgot to mention. This option is available in Excel 2002 which I use So you can safely assume it is available in Excel 2003 also. I have n idea about earlier versions. Ra -- Message posted fro...

problem in opening *.xls file
Sir, a file *.xls , downloaded from internet is not opening in microsoft excel.error message is: *.xls can not be accessed.the file may be read only or you may be trying to access a read only location. file can be opened in word pad but it's not clear to read. waiting for kind reply KAMAL In Windows Explorer, right click the file icon, and choose "Properties". Ensure that the Read-Only checkbox is clear. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "kamal" <kamal_lohani@rediffmail.c...

convert *.CSV to *.XLS from DOS?
Hi, I need to get a CSV file imported into Excel, and format the page to landscape, at 75% reduction - all with one click... Any suggestions? The O/S is Win98se, and it is Excel'97. I am really hoping for a command line reference or utility.. I am currently exploring the following routine: 1. PIF executes batch file 2. Batch file locates random *.csv in folder1 and gives it static name; moves original CSV to archive folder; moves static.csv to temp folder 3. batch then "starts" Excel, opens (formatted) empty template, imports static.csv via startup macro..? I know nothing abo...

how to save a *.xls in an Access DB
my question is simple, but I can not find an answer. how to save a *.xls in an Access DB? I want to do it with code since Excel, and i do not how to do it. -- Matias Burni You can't save a spreadsheet per se in a database, but you can import spreadsheets into tables in Access. File/Get External Data/Import.... "matiasburnis" wrote: > my question is simple, but I can not find an answer. how to save a *.xls in > an Access DB? I want to do it with code since Excel, and i do not how to do > it. > -- > Matias Burni ...

Outlook web access
When I'm at work (remote from the headquarters) I log on to our corporate web access email. I get the inbox, but the body of most messages is an excel spreadsheet (created, I think in Office 2000) Until I upgraded my laptop to Office 2003, I'd simply click on the link and it would open fine. Since then, it appears to be opening (I get a flash of a window that appears to show it's downloading, but too quick to actually read what's going on.) The sheet then "appears" as a blank screen. I can then print it, though not view it. If I select to save the file, it'll c...

Surpress message "The file ****.xls already exists"
What piece of VBA script is needed to surpress the message "The file ****.xls already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" Thanks, Alex application.displayalerts = false yourworkbook.saveas ... application.displayalerts = true Leksie wrote: > > What piece of VBA script is needed to surpress the message "The file ****.xls > already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" > > Thanks, > Alex -- Dave Peterson ...