a comment box that only displays when the cell is actually selected

I have an Excel 2002 worksheet that I created a few years ago, and I can't
remember how I got a certain cells to do what it's doing.

Whenever you select that cell, a box appears just below that cell that looks
like a comment box, but without the connecting arrow.  But unlike a comment
box, this one doesn't appear when you hover the cursor above the cell.  It
only appears when you select the cell; and it remains visible as long as the
selection cursor remains in the cell, regardless of where you move the
cursor.

I dont' think it's any kind of a comment box, because when you right-click
on the cell, you can still select "Insert Comment" and create a separate
comment box, so that when you hover the cursor over the cell, the new
Comment box is visible, and when you click on the cell to make it the
current selection, the other mystery box appears.

Like a regular comment box, this one has a light yellow background, and you
can format the text you write in it, because I notice that I was able to set
some of the characters to a bold font.  I just can't figure out how I
created that type of box.  I would like to reproduce this so I can use this
type of box as an alternative to the regular comment boxes in some of my
worksheets.

How do you create these boxes that look like comment boxes, but without the
connecting arrow and that only display when you actually select the cell?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

0
begone (2)
3/6/2007 12:46:57 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This is available on the Data | Validation menu - you can specify an
Input message which is displayed when you select the cell.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 6, 12:46 am, "Paul Ponzelli" <beg...@spam.com> wrote:
> I have an Excel 2002 worksheet that I created a few years ago, and I can't
> remember how I got a certain cells to do what it's doing.
>
> Whenever you select that cell, a box appears just below that cell that looks
> like a comment box, but without the connecting arrow.  But unlike a comment
> box, this one doesn't appear when you hover the cursor above the cell.  It
> only appears when you select the cell; and it remains visible as long as the
> selection cursor remains in the cell, regardless of where you move the
> cursor.
>
> I dont' think it's any kind of a comment box, because when you right-click
> on the cell, you can still select "Insert Comment" and create a separate
> comment box, so that when you hover the cursor over the cell, the new
> Comment box is visible, and when you click on the cell to make it the
> current selection, the other mystery box appears.
>
> Like a regular comment box, this one has a light yellow background, and you
> can format the text you write in it, because I notice that I was able to set
> some of the characters to a bold font.  I just can't figure out how I
> created that type of box.  I would like to reproduce this so I can use this
> type of box as an alternative to the regular comment boxes in some of my
> worksheets.
>
> How do you create these boxes that look like comment boxes, but without the
> connecting arrow and that only display when you actually select the cell?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

0
pashurst (2576)
3/6/2007 12:57:03 AM
Select the col, click Data > Validation > Input tab
Type a message within the input msg box (this is what appears), click OK

Test it out by selecting any cell within the col,
you'd get the phenomena you described ..
--
Max
Singapore
"Paul Ponzelli" wrote:
> I have an Excel 2002 worksheet that I created a few years ago, and I can't
> remember how I got a certain cells to do what it's doing.
>
> Whenever you select that cell, a box appears just below that cell that looks
> like a comment box, but without the connecting arrow.  But unlike a comment
> box, this one doesn't appear when you hover the cursor above the cell.  It
> only appears when you select the cell; and it remains visible as long as the
> selection cursor remains in the cell, regardless of where you move the
> cursor.
>
> I dont' think it's any kind of a comment box, because when you right-click
> on the cell, you can still select "Insert Comment" and create a separate
> comment box, so that when you hover the cursor over the cell, the new
> Comment box is visible, and when you click on the cell to make it the
> current selection, the other mystery box appears.
>
> Like a regular comment box, this one has a light yellow background, and you
> can format the text you write in it, because I notice that I was able to set
> some of the characters to a bold font.  I just can't figure out how I
> created that type of box.  I would like to reproduce this so I can use this
> type of box as an alternative to the regular comment boxes in some of my
> worksheets.
>
> How do you create these boxes that look like comment boxes, but without the
> connecting arrow and that only display when you actually select the cell?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

0
demechanik (4694)
3/6/2007 1:04:23 AM
My thanks to Pete and Max.

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.

0
begone (2)
3/6/2007 5:09:28 AM
You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Mar 6, 5:09 am, "Paul Ponzelli" <beg...@spam.com> wrote:
> My thanks to Pete and Max.
>
> That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.

0
pashurst (2576)
3/6/2007 9:11:13 AM
Make that a double from me, Paul <g> !
--
"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
> You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.
>
> Pete
>
> On Mar 6, 5:09 am, "Paul Ponzelli" <beg...@spam.com> wrote:
>> My thanks to Pete and Max.
>>
>> That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you.

0
demechanik (4694)

Outlook exiting box hangs forever
Hello, Running Outlook 2000 on exchange 2000. If the outlook is open for couple days and when i close it, exiting box hangs forever. But, if I open and close outlook right away or within couple hours, it exits fine. Any ideas? kirit Do you have it set to synch offline folders? If yes, and you have received a lot of mail and only have it set to sync on shutdown, it will, of course, take more time after a couple of days worth of items need to be synched. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to...

Change Value on Combo Box upon event
Is there a way that I can change the value on a Combo Box to the last record in its record source? I have a combo box that displays Fiscal Years, from 2000 to Current fiscal year 2007. Users can select any year they wish to pull data from based on the year selected. However, I want the combo Box to change its value to the current Fiscal year (which is the last record presented to them when they select the drop down) based on a specific event. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! heyy try: Me.CourseID = Me.CourseID.ItemData(Me.CourseID.ListCount - 1) cheers jeff "Angel_G" ...

Problem with "Search box" in Help window
We are using Excel 2003 on XP. This problem is occuring for all users. When you click Help-Microsoft Excel Help, and try to type in the Search for: box under Assistance, the text is inserted into the spreadsheet instead. The only way you can manage to enter any text into this box is to copy it, then right-click paste it into that box (Edit-Paste and Ctrl+V do not work) I can't find anything in the kbase (except for the tip about pasting). What is up with this? ...

Can I determine which cells on a sheet are locked and which are not?
Is there any kind of report, etc. I could look at that would tell me what cels are unlocked or vice versa on a protected worksheet? I have 8 worksheetsin a workbook, with each sheet comprised of more than 550 rows and 14 columns. I could tab from cell to cell to determine if I have all the desired cells locked, but with nearly 60,000 cells, that is not at all feasible. Does anybody have any ideas? Basically all I'm wanting to do is to be sure that all of my cells that need to be are locked, so that when I share this workbook I need not worry about others getting into areas they...

Selecting a large range of cells?
I'm not too strong with Excel so this might be an easy question. I have a large workbook with about 50K rows and about 100 columns. I need to sort this large range of data by different columns from time to time. I know how to sort it by just holding down the left mouse button and dragging the highlighted area to include the range. Then I go to "data" / "Sort". This just takes way too long to do each time for a range this size. I hope there is a better way to include this large range without having to "grab" it all manually. Is there? THANKS. Type ...

Outlook Coding
I have code to send emails progamtically from a module in Excel 2000 using OUtlook 2000, but now I need to have the code select 1 of 5 different email addresses and potentially a different mail server. Any ideas? --------------------------------- Set NewMail = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set objmail = NewMail.CreateItem(olMailItem) With objmail .To = Email .Subject = "Quotes for " & Name .Body = emailtext .Send End With Set NewMail = Nothing Set objmail = Nothing ---------------------------------- Submitted...

The form required to view this message cannot be displayed. Contact your help ad
I'm trying to open email that contains forwarded email's. I'm using Outlook 2002 w/SP-2 and XP Pro on clean installs. I can save the attachments but would like to just display them if possible. ...

Have Outlook Today display certain calendar categories
Anyone know how I could (with or without add-ins) have outlook display only certain calendar categories? I want to exclude some day-to-day calendar items from showing up and cluttering the space :) create a custom view? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/viewmenu.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ <matt.coast@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158197...

Cell referencing 12-14-09
I have a sales\stock level related problem. Each row on the worksheet represents a sales day. Column A contains the previous days sales figure, a list of numbers in the range 1 to 20. Column B is the daily stock level which starts at 100 (cell B1) and decreases each day by the previous days sales figure ( the adjacent A cell). Column C is a list of the number of days it takes to deliver the items when they are re-ordered and will be in the range 1 to 4 (days). If the stock level (column B) goes below 11 then a re-order (which is 100 items) is placed and arrives in x number of d...

Remove blank entries from a list box either using VBA or basic formula #3
Thanks Debra Havent thought about using dynamic ranges before.....I am a bit of Excel learner. I shall look into this as you suggest. Thanks again Celtic_avenge -- Celtic_Avenge ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Celtic_Avenger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1410 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27183 ...

Insert PDF into Excel Cell?
I would like to do a MS Word mail merge using excel as the data source for a fax blast. However, I need to send a specific page to a specific fax number. I was thinking of setting up an excel document with [name, fax number, document] columns as the data source, and then merge with my word document. My concern is that each recipient get the correct (individualized) page, along with the cover sheet. Is is possible to embed a file (pdf or word) into an excel cell? That way, i could use the excel file to set up the merge (Name1, Fax Number1, Document 1; Name2, Fax Number,2 Document 2; Name3,...

outlook 2003 amend display as on all contacts
I would like to change the Display As entry for All Contacts . currently it shows the name and then the email address in brackets, but would prefer it to show the Name or the File As name Is there any way I can change the lot without having to manually do that?? Sue ...

Cell contents as Chart Title
Is there a way of using the contents of a cell on a worksheet as th title for a chart on that same worksheet? Please bear in mind that I a using Excel 97, although I would be interested to hear if it wa possible in later versions of Excel as it may give me ammunition for a upgrade! Thanks, Stev -- Stephen Pai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Stephen Pain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1526 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27624 Hi, You can link the chart title to a ce...

Selecting Multiple Shapes and Lines
In Excel 2003, lines and shapes could easily be selected by clicking on the arrow in the drawings menu and drawings a box around the objects. I am now using Excel 2007, but have not found anywhere to change the coursor from the standard cross to a pointer. Is this one of the features that did not get transfered over, or have I just not found it yet? Thanks for the help. If I understood your question - try this: In the Ribbon - Click 'Home' > at the far end 'Edit' section > click on 'Search & Choose' > in the sub-menu click 'choose object...

"Check Marking" a cell
Can I format (via Macro???) a cell so that if the user left clicks on the cell a check mark appears without using the Control Toolbox. The cells with such format will only need to then be the totaled (via =counta(x:x). There's no left click you can tie into. You could base it on selection (either the mouse or the keyboard), but you could use rightclick for this: If that's ok, rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this behavior. Select view code and paste this into that code window: Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel...

Shared Calendars not Displaying User Name
Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003, both fully patched and running on XP Pro SP2. Shared calendars added under "Open a shared calendar". Header of calendars only displays "Calendar", not the username of the shared calendar owner. How can I get Outlook to display the username, please. At the moment I have multiple calendars open and they all are headed "Calendar". Not very useful :-( TIA, Bill http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2005/20050809.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for W...

Cell formating and summing imperial weights
Hi all, Does anybody know how to format cells for using imperial weight (pounds, ounces and drams) and how do I then summ these values to als give the result in pounds, ounces and drams -- Wood ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Woody's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=575 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187117693 On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 03:39:09 -0600, Woody <Woody.1ydm2c@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote: > >Hi all, > >Does anybody know how to format cells for using imperial weights >(pounds, ounces and dram...

Print Range Doesn't Display
I have a multi worksheet file which Vie used without incident for five years. Today, I inserted a page break and also selected a print area. I found that, although the area and page break shows correctly in Print Preview, neither the page break nor the print area outline box appear on the worksheet. The tools | Options | General shows "Display All".. Even more curious, if I do the same on one of the other worksheets in the file, the area displays correctly. -- PT >>The tools | Options | General shows "Display All".. But more on point, is Tools, Options...

change display font to actual selected font
My excel worksheet is using the font comic sans ms although in the Normal page layout, the font used is Arial. In the format toolbar, comic sans ms is selected and when the sheet is printed, it appears correctly. What's your zoom level? If you change the zoom factor to 100% does it look ok? If yes, then maybe this post by Debra Dalgleish will help: You can change a registry setting to prevent this from happening (make a backup copy of the registry first): 1. From the Start button, choose Run 2. Type regedit then click OK 3. Click the + sign to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER 4. Open ...

can you capture info from a cell without retyping in another cell
I'd like to be able to update the salutation in a letter with the person's name in the address without having to retype it. I am using Microsoft Office 2003. See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. jallen449 wrote: > I'd like to be able to update the salutation in a letter with the > person's name in the address without having to retype it. I am using > Microsoft Offi...

Cutting first 4 digits from a cell and pasting it into an adjacent column
Using 2007 on Vista I've got some data I want to import from excel into my crm software For type of business here in the UK we use 'SIC' codes However, the data I have purchased has the SIC code followed by it's description I want to seperate the first 4 digits which is for the SIC code and leave the description behind as per the following data 3320: Manufacture Of Instruments & Appliances For Measuring, Checking, Testing, Navigating & Other Which I want to seperate into SIC code 3320 SIC description Manufacture Of Instruments & Appliances For Measuring, Chec...

display
how do you display a shortcut menu with the mouse? Just click on the right mouse button in lieu of your regular left mouse button. This works in any Microsoft application & is very helpful. Nancy "Jessizzle123" wrote: > how do you display a shortcut menu with the mouse? ...

multiple cascading combo boxes* not the usual.
Hello, I am having a problem with multiple cascading combo boxes... yet this isn't the usual situation thoroughly covered by many posts. I wasn't able to find this elsewhere. What I have is a category combo box than changes the products combo box- this part is working fine. However what I want is a category combo box that when updated, updates the three product combo boxes below. What I am aiming at getting is to have the user select a major category and up to three products within that category which will be stored into a table. Is this the best option or is there a way to use a ...

Combo Box Lookup 07-14-07
How Do I Create a Combo Box Lookup, which only shows me related drawings to which project ive selected in my enquiry, Query? the drawings are in a related table to a project table? Hello, Assuming you have a Form with a field to select the Project and the ComboBox lookup field. In the AfterUpdate event of the Project field set the Combo Box's row source to a query which filters records in your drawings tables with the related record in your Projects table. The SQL statement (to query the records) would look something like this: "SELECT tblDrawings.somefield1, tblDrawings.somef...

Can't add a 0 (zero) to the beginning of a number in a cell
I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero. After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears. Scott You can format the cell to be text and it will then allow a 0 to be added to the front of a number however this may cause problems if you are using that number in inequalities. Scottrow wrote: > I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero. > After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears. > > Scott Scott, The first answer is correct however it may be alot easier if you add an a...