97: How can I find duplicate entries in a column?

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. This is a very basic question
from an even more basic user. I have a spread sheet with a long list of
ID numbers for skips. Sometimes duplicate numbers arise from paper work
from elsewhere and I get a false total of skips in hand. How can I
organise that column to highlight a duplicate entry please?

Shen

---

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Insert a helper column:

=COUNTIF(A1:A9999,A1)
(adjust the range to suit.)

then the formulas that evaluate to more than 1 will be duplicated.

Chip Pearson has some other techniques at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

Shen wrote:

> Hello and thanks in advance for any help. This is a very basic question
> from an even more basic user. I have a spread sheet with a long list of
> ID numbers for skips. Sometimes duplicate numbers arise from paper work
> from elsewhere and I get a false total of skips in hand. How can I
> organise that column to highlight a duplicate entry please?
>
> Shen
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

M06 S/D/P $12.97/15.97/17.97 after rebates
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/editorial/22/cswspring06/default.mspx That's cheaper than at CompUSA/Best BUy. I would think the reailers would be yelling. For those that don't like mail-in rebates , I got M2006 Deluxe last week at Walmart in Windham,NH for $19 - no rebates. "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in message news:OHkPuV2gGHA.4404@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/editorial/22/cswspring06/default.mspx > ...

publication designs in publisher
i am trying to create a flyer in publisher. basically, i have about 7 or 8 different sheets, all with the same content, but i want to have a different publication design for each one, so i can show my boss variations. however, when i try to change the publication design on say, page 3, it changes it on page 1. i can't seem to have 7 or 8 different sheets, all with different publication designs. is this because it sees all these sheets as one publication rather than 7 or 8? any help would be much appreciated. thank you! Read the HELP file how to turn off the Synchronisation. -- ...

Can this be done? How to...
Hello, In my application, I have users entering data on a form (think a master employee record). When the user clicks the submit button to save this information, I would like a 2nd form to open for related data going to a different table. The 1st form has three fields (foreign key) and 2 others, the last 2 of which may or may not have data. I would like to open the 2nd form and pass the data from these fields directly to the appropriate fields on the 2nd form. The data to be passed will be the PK/FK from the first form. This data must always exist. The other 2 fields, each may ...

can this be done? (Manager customizations)
Can buttons be added to the Store Operations Manager screens? I would like to add a button to the screen where new customers are created. This will open another screen where additional information for the customer can be entered. (I am trying to add fields; I know there are certain "additional fields" but I don't want to use those. So, I am not sure if 1. A button can be added. 2. Can the form be opened and additional information be tied to the customer. 3. Only open this from the Manager screen. (not on a Customer Save event in the Store Operations screen.) Even if a b...

How can I print to email?
I want to send the results from some sheets to people who do not have Excel. If I attach the XLS file, it will be useless to anyone without Excel. I basically want to send what I see on a printout to a printer or Fax. Any ideas? Is there a way to setup email as a printer? This will enable me to use the same method for Word, Powerpoint and other products without caring about the recepients software. Jim Hi Jim You can send the text in the body of the mail I don't know what Excel version you use and which mail program? Or let them download the free Excel viewer You can view and ...

Columns in Publisher 2000
I can't seem to remember how to do columns in Publisher 2000. I know that in Publisher 2002, you just right click on your textbox and go to format textbox and take it from there. But somehow, you aren't able to do this in Publisher 2000. If anyone has an idee, help would be much appreciated. A friend at work is having trouble with that. Thanx Right-click the text box, change frame, Text frame properties, the columns choice is in this screen. Or format menu, Text frame properties. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.micros...

Can I email unique worksheets from a workbook to different users?
Hi Laura See my site for example code http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm Maybe you like the templates -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A8220F1-590B-406F-BFC5-B692250CF29E@microsoft.com... > ...

Excel 97
I have a form with some textboxes on it (textbox1 and textbox2). When the user tabs from textbox1 to the textbox2, I validate the contents of the textbox1 in the textbox1_AfterUpdate event handler. If the content textbox1 is invalid, I want to keep the cursor in textbox1, rather than tabbing to textbox2. I have tried using textbox1.SetFocus method in the textbox1_AfterUpdate and textbox2_Enter event handlers. Neither worked. What is a good way to do this? Thanks. you can use the textbox's Exit event... Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) If TextBo...

Can you sharpen a picture ?
I am new to Publisher. When I use pictures I can not sharpen them or correct the resolution. Is there a way to do this? jonpatric <jonpatric@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I am new to Publisher. When I use pictures I can not sharpen them or > correct the resolution. Is there a way to do this? Publisher is a layout application, not a photo editor. Use a photo editing tool for sharpening and resampling options. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher You need something like Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop (and the various other programs, whic...

where can i get the tool's from the exchange 2000 resource kit?
having a mental block and cant find where to download exchange 2000 resource kit tools. is this it? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E0F616C6-8FA4-4768-A3ED-CC09AEF7B60A&displaylang=en tia Hi Eric, The Exchange 2000 Resource Kit Tools are found on the Exchange 2000 Server CD in the tools folder. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "EricB" <ERICB@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message news:kEqFe.6841$CF.47694@news-1.opaltelecom.net... > having a mental block and cant find where to do...

CRM Contacts duplicating in Outlook Contacts
Hi, Within Sales for OL Client, when one of our users is in Accounts and either creates a new account/contact with an e-mail address or a business fax number, from WITHIN the accounts page, NOT using the CRM Contact tool, it is now putting duplicate contacts into her Outlook Contacts. Any suggestions on how to stop it doing this? Thanks! Shauna CRM will synch CRM Contacts with Outlook. However when it does this, it will not merge with existing Outlook contacts. So, if that same name exists, then it will be duplicated. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Shauna Koppang" ...

numbers in a column are not sorting ascending
I am working in an Excel 2007 spreadsheet and one very long column of normal numbers are not sorting. for Example: 407 408 102 103 104 Everytime I try to sort this ascending, it does nothing. Hi, Try this in another column enter =Trim(A1) I assume column A is where you have that numbers, then copy as value on top of the others an sort it "slhiaz" wrote: > I am working in an Excel 2007 spreadsheet and one very long column of normal > numbers are not sorting. for Example: > > 407 > 408 > 102 > 103 > 104 > > Everyt...

Cannot Find Outlook Today in 2003
The Outlook Today button is not anywhere on the Navigation Bar in Outlook 2003, nor it is an optional button to add to the nav bar nor is it on any menu. Where do I find it/get it? There should be an Outlook Today button on the Advanced Toolbar. You can also click either the Mail button or the Folder List button on the Navigation Pane, then click the root folder of your default mail store (the set of folders where your mail is delivered), and Outlook Today should appear. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only ...

How can I scroll page up/down with arrow keys
I am doing a project on Access 2003. I have a long form and needs to scroll up/down often, That I am doing with my mouse well and Scrollbar. But I want to scroll up/down with my up/down arrow keys. I want to scroll 1 inche down everytime I press my down arrow. I understand I have to write a code onkey up/down properties. Can someone help me to write the code, plz? Thanks, Here's some code from Allen Browne that does that. Put the code in a standard module. Call it like this: Call ContinuousUpDown(Me, KeyCode), in the form's KeyDown event. Private Sub Form_KeyDown...

trace1 can't be compile?
My enviormentis Vc6.0, in a project, i add trace1 for output ,but compile error?? why?? error C2065: 'LL' : undeclared identifier Probably because the name is TRACE1, not trace1 joe On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:05:50 +0800, "lynhoo" <lynhoo@sina.com.cn> wrote: >My enviormentis Vc6.0, in a project, i add trace1 for output ,but compile >error?? why?? > >error C2065: 'LL' : undeclared identifier > Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm Thanks your reply! ...

Can not receive email
I have just purchased a new HP Pavillion. Outlook 2003 trial copy came installed. I have alsp loaded Yahoo DSL and my earthlink dial up accont. I can not receive email in outlook. I can send email perfectly find. I can howevr receive email in Yahoo and in Earthlink. What could be the problem. I run this same configuration on my HP laptop ( DSL and Dial up) and have had no problems Any ideas ...

Duplicate Function Help
I'm trying to use a duplicate function (or possibly a duplicate macro) to filter through information. I've tried =countif($A$1:$A$2000,a2) to locate which accounts are duplicates. This works perfectly except I need the formula to differentiate between data as well as locate the duplicates. I have two columns of data (A=Account Number, B=Dollar Amount). In column A the account number will appear more than once. This is expected. So what I need is a forumla that can determine if the account number appears any where else in the list and if one balance is negative and...

Displaying Pictures in Columns on a Form
I have a form which displays (1) Teacher Name and (2) Teacher Picture. On the same form, I have a Subform with pictures of all the Students associated with the particular Teacher. Each pic of the Student shows, BUT, if there are more than 4 or 5 students, the pictures begin to scroll. Is there a way that I can have 2 columns of pictures so I can dispay maybe 8 or 10 student pics, then possibly with a NEXT button to move to the remaining student pics for that Teacher if there are any? I can't think of a clean way. And, I have to assume you using a2007...as the ability to display pi...

How do I change to name of my column
Hi I am looking to change the name of my column on the worksheet from A, B, C, To specific names can I do this No you can't change the Letters to Names. Use row 1 and enter your titles/names. Tools>Options>View. Uncheck Row and Column Headers Select A2 and Window>Freeze Panes. You could color row 1 gray to look like the column headers if you desire. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:24:01 -0700, Column Headings in Excel <Column Headings in Excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi I am looking to change the name of my column on the worksheet fr...

Publisher 97 issues
I have been trying to find templates to use for Publisher 97 and I am having no luck. Also, I can not open any later versions of Publisher Templates saved to disk with Publisher 97. Does anyone know of how to remedy the situation or do I need to pay out the money to (about $400.00)get a newer version of this program? Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Knosha Mc. $400?? Wow! Are you getting 18K gold plated CDs? I think you'll find that the newer version of Publisher will run you about US$150. But if you're running Pub 97 now, you may want to make sure your computer...

can owa/fba and rpc http proxy coexist on single server?
My users currently use a mix of OWA and oldschool Outlook 2002 (as well as various IMAP users, etc) for their MUAs, but some of them are starting to sport notebooks with Outlook 2003, so I had recently planned to enable rpc-over-http(s) on my e2k3 server (just a single pokey little box; no separate fe/be), until I read the horror show on Corey Gouker's blog (http://blogs.coreygouker.com/2005/11/11/Getting+OWA+Forms+Based+Authentication+Working+With+RPC+Over+HTTP+Finally.aspx) My question: in light of Gouker's account of the terrors of trying to make these two live side-by-side,...

Can You Help Me Please....
I have been given the job of booking vouchers in at work.....they come in pads of 20 and i have to list 200 books manually once a month. The vouchers are all serial numbered and have to be booked in by serial number and as I issue them ,they are booked out (you still with me?) The voucher numbers will be something like 123501 - 123520, then the next pad is 123521 to 123540 etc etc. When I get them in I get an invoice which shows me the start and end numbers, i'd love to try and set something up where i could enter the start and end serial number and excel would create a sheet with all...

where can i get an excel sheet for stock control
Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent stock control spread sheet Have a browse around the Template Gallery. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:49:03 -0800, "ricey111" <ricey111@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anybody point me in the direction of a decent stock control spread sheet ...

Access 97 to 2002 conversion
When converting from Access 97 to 2002, I'm getting the following error when I run certain forms: "Run-time error '2046': The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't available now." When I click Debug, it takes me to the following code: "DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70" I've looked at the help menus and it still lists acSaveRecord as an intrinsic constant. So, I'm unsure why it doesn't like the VB code. Does anyone have any ideas? Check to make sure that your references under the code window is ...

can not figure out why?
Hi all, exchange 2003 sp2/outlook 2003/outlook2007 Most times, when we receive the emails, the from email address shows person name such as Joe Walker [jwalker@xyz.com] . But, sometimes, the from email address shows Joe Walker [mailto:jwalker@xyz.com]. Why does "mailto" show up? Thank you. ...