256 column limit

hi,

I have read all the posts on the 256 column limit. irritating.

i only want about 500 columns and about 200 rows - could i transpose the
data, but view it reverse transposed - if you know what i mean. i don't want
to read the data down, but across.

i am assuming the limit is to control the overall number of cells? this
would not affect that.

ellebelle
0
ellebelle (8)
1/5/2006 1:53:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Next version of Excel has 16384 columns and 1048576 rows but until it's
released you can't do anything about it except using another layout

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"ellebelle" <ellebelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> I have read all the posts on the 256 column limit. irritating.
>
> i only want about 500 columns and about 200 rows - could i transpose the
> data, but view it reverse transposed - if you know what i mean. i don't
want
> to read the data down, but across.
>
> i am assuming the limit is to control the overall number of cells? this
> would not affect that.
>
> ellebelle

0
terre081 (3244)
1/5/2006 2:16:20 PM
great news! when is thatbeing released?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Next version of Excel has 16384 columns and 1048576 rows but until it's
> released you can't do anything about it except using another layout
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "ellebelle" <ellebelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > I have read all the posts on the 256 column limit. irritating.
> >
> > i only want about 500 columns and about 200 rows - could i transpose the
> > data, but view it reverse transposed - if you know what i mean. i don't
> want
> > to read the data down, but across.
> >
> > i am assuming the limit is to control the overall number of cells? this
> > would not affect that.
> >
> > ellebelle

0
ellebelle (8)
1/5/2006 2:44:05 PM
Presumably late summer early fall this year

here's a link to a blog written by one of the MS Excel developers

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx

--

> great news! when is thatbeing released?
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
> > Next version of Excel has 16384 columns and 1048576 rows but until it's
> > released you can't do anything about it except using another layout
> >

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peo Sjoblom
> >

> > "ellebelle" <ellebelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > I have read all the posts on the 256 column limit. irritating.
> > >
> > > i only want about 500 columns and about 200 rows - could i transpose
the
> > > data, but view it reverse transposed - if you know what i mean. i
don't
> > want
> > > to read the data down, but across.
> > >
> > > i am assuming the limit is to control the overall number of cells?
this
> > > would not affect that.
> > >
> > > ellebelle

0
terre081 (3244)
1/5/2006 2:59:48 PM
Meanwhile there is Quattro Pro
(I jest!)
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"ellebelle" <ellebelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> great news! when is thatbeing released?
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
>> Next version of Excel has 16384 columns and 1048576 rows but until it's
>> released you can't do anything about it except using another layout
>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peo Sjoblom
>>

>> "ellebelle" <ellebelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi,
>> >
>> > I have read all the posts on the 256 column limit. irritating.
>> >
>> > i only want about 500 columns and about 200 rows - could i transpose
>> > the
>> > data, but view it reverse transposed - if you know what i mean. i don't
>> want
>> > to read the data down, but across.
>> >
>> > i am assuming the limit is to control the overall number of cells? this
>> > would not affect that.
>> >
>> > ellebelle

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
1/5/2006 5:08:59 PM
I believe the numbers are absolute also because the cells and memory are
adressed by digits in fixed positions so to speak. A floating system (less
rows, more columns, fixed max #) would be nice but that's not the way it's
built.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"ellebelle" <ellebelle@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> hi,
>
> I have read all the posts on the 256 column limit. irritating.
(...)
> i am assuming the limit is to control the overall number of cells? this
> would not affect that.
>
> ellebelle

0
innocent (844)

how can I freeze column width (cell size)???
I have a spreadsheet with formulas. I show the formulas and resize (autofit) the columns. I want to freeze the column widths on all the columns then... .... uncheck show formulas. Problem: when I uncheck show formulas the columns resize (smaller) automatically. Many of the columns re-size to small for the data (pound signs display). Can someone tell me what I need to do to keep the columns from resizing after unchecking show formulas? Thanks, Tracey How about a little macro? Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myColWidths(1 To 256) As Double Dim iCtr As Long With ActiveS...

Column heading differences
The menu column headings on my spreadsheets today are numbers instead of letters! I want the letters back! I like the differentiation between rows (numbers) and columns (letters). Help?? I received and opened a virus-free spreadsheet from a co-worker. Her spreadsheet had numbers for the columns -- could that have made my default switch? How do I switch it back? <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, And *UNCHECK* "R1C1 Reference Style". -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benef...

sort 2 column in the same time "" as dictionary ""
Hello all I need to make sort of pages to be like a dictionary is that possible I put a test file on the next link http://rapidshare.com/files/382288320/index_test.xls.html I need to sort the 2 yellow column ,to be alphapetic page by page appreciate for help me Thanks Mahmoud ...

Reversed column labels
For some reason, when I open any new spreadsheets, the column labels are reversed, with column A on the right side of the screen. This is making working with excel difficult. Is there some option I enabled that can be disabled so that Excel gets back to normal? Thanks Andrew Remsen Hi Drew tools / options / international - check the settings under default direction note, you won't see the affect of this until you close & reopen your workbook. Regards julieD "Drew Remsen" <remsen59@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MeSpd.73932$8G4.40962@tornado.tampabay.rr.com....

Sort numeric data in more than 3 columns in excel
Hi All, I have to sort 12 columns of numeric data in descending order on a excel worksheet. I currently sort 3 at a time and then move forward. For example, I have sales data for months Jan to Dec. I want each of these columns to show zeros at the bottom when the macro is run. The rows would increase in future but the columns would be fixed. The worksheet would also remains unchanged each month. None of these columns are of least significance. Is there a way I could change a recorded macro to achieve this?? I know very little of VB. This would be of great help! Thanks! All of the columns ...

Group rows / columns: +/- symbol at top or to the left?
Hi there If you group columns or rows, you will see a little symbol "+" or "-" to indicate the grouped section. I am wondering if there is a way to tell excel to display the symbol on the top of the grouped section (instead at the bottom in case of grouped rows) or to the left (instead to the right in case of grouped columns). Help greately appreciated! samkut Data/Group and Outline/Settings... In article <1128961350.756875.320910@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, samkut@web.de wrote: > If you group columns or rows, you will see a little symbol "+" ...

how to highlight current row & column automatically by a color
I'm using Excel 2003, can u plz help me out that how to highlight current row & column with a color automatically to identify my position. Though excel help us by highlighting column & row number, but i want whole column & row to be highlighten to better finding my cell position and contents. So When I change my cell position, the highlighted row & column move appropriately. Take a look at http://cpearson.com/excel/rowliner.htm In article <4076508D-B500-4491-8BE9-C70A825EEBC2@microsoft.com>, asif4u <asif4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I&#...

Move Column Data into a row
Hello, I have text in a column that I want to move into a row instead, is this possible without typing it all over again? Thanks -- avidcat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ avidcat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29659 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493706 Copy the data and then do a Paste Special using Transpose. Rgds, ScottO "avidcat" <avidcat.202gsm_1134625201.0378@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:avidcat.202gsm_1134625201.0378@excel...

separate columns
Hi, I am having a little problem and I was wondering if any of you coul help me with it. I have two columns, A (Definitions) and B is empty. Column A has several words in a single cell, I was wondering if ther is a way to put only the first word from cell A1, for example, in cel B1. Thanks. Regards, Marco -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Marcos! Try: =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "marksuza >" <<marksuza.16lqli@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:ma...

Outlook #256
Outlook is not remembering my e-mail password. Have to enter them everytime I start the program. ...

Sorting several columns
Hi, I'm trying to sort a sheet, sorting first by column A, then B, then C It works fine half of the sheet, but then column C isn't sorted correctly. Data format is the same, so that's not the problem. In column C sorting I've made my own list to sort by (st, 1, 2, 3, 4), and it works fine the first 20 rows. Then it only sorts correctly in column A and B example A B C AA 1A st AA 1A 1 AA 2A AB 1A 1 AB 1A 5 AB 1A AB 1A st AB isn't sorted correctly according to the list I've made in the ...

Column widths
I have developed a great sheet with 4 separate SQL queries to give users a report card. All works wonderfully except that each time the sheet auto-refreshes, my column widths compress down which makes the sheet hard to read. Is there a way to lock down the colum width so it doesn't change? Thanks Art You could try un-checking 'adjust column widths' in 'Data range properties' by right-clicking on the external data table. You could also, if this fails, put some code in the Worksheet_Change() event like so Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Columns....

Problem with referencing a hidden column
The code below works great, that is until I hide column Q. I do not want the data in column Q to me visible on the worksheet. Is there any way around this problem? TextBox100.Value = Range("Q4").Text TextBox200.Value = Range("Q49").Text TextBox300.Value = Range("Q94").Text TextBox400.Value = Range("Q139").Text TextBox500.Value = Range("Q184").Text TextBox600.Value = Range("Q229").Text TextBox100.Value = Range("Q4") -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "ordnance1" <ordnance1@comcast...

Deleting columns
Has anyone had this problem: I have a spreadsheet with multiple tabs. On the first tab I can selec a group of cells within a column, lets say B12 -- B45 and right click o them, get the option 'Delete...' and it asks if I want to shift left up, entire row, or entire column. Now, on the second tab I select th same group of cells except now when I right click it will only let m delete rows. Any ideas as to what I am missing here -- surg4u197 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- surg4u1975's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action...

print 4 alternate columns
hello community yesterday, 29th, a helpful person assisted me in solving - printing a column and a selected area - that was fine and successful. now, what happen when I wanted to print alternate columns only - i tried ctrl+selection on alternate columns & use the Print Option - Print Selection - but I not able to view it in 1 page & I also used the Print Option (At the Sheet Tab area) - selected the "Repeated Columns on Left" - and use the Print Area command - yet not able to get the alternate columns to view as 1 page to print out. can any body assist me on this ? ...

Outlook Express #256
Is there any way to set outlook express to leave a copy of the message on the server and leave it marked as unread? Taylor <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there any way to set outlook express to leave a copy > of the message on the server and leave it marked as > unread? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Hidden column is visible on reload
Hi, I'm having a form with a DataGridView control in it. I'm facing a problem with a column which is set to be hidden in the designer. While I view the form for the first time, it is hidden. But when I load the form again, this column gets visible and shows in UI. For that I tried to explicitly set this column to be hidden on form load, but still the problem persists... I'm using DataTable to bind the data to the DataGridView. What might be the possible problem with it? How to check the property and when it gets changed? Still more annoying is that, I've one more fo...

How to create combo box on whole column fastly?
Hi: How can I create combo box on one whole column fastly? Please let me know, thanks. Thanks. -- accessman2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ accessman2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27953 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474563 Here is a fastly code: Dim ListItems As Variant Dim i As Integer ListItems = Range("A1:A1000").Value ListItems = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(ListItems) With CB1 'CB1 Stands for ComboBox1 For i = 1 To UBound(Li...

Mailbox Size Limitations
I have successfully setup the mailbox size limitations and it works fine. However, I wanted to know where I can change the actual message that is sent to the users. For example, this is what is sent: Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator. Your mailbox size is 458823 KB. Mailbox size limits: You will receive a warning when your mailbox reaches 453000 KB.You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce your mailbox size. To make more space available, delete any items that you are no longer using or move them to your personal folder fi...

Inverting rows and columns
How do invert rows for columns so i can sort information by columns not rows Edit / Copy then Edit / Paste Special / Tranpose or you can simply sort left to right - look in the options on the sort dialog box. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Robkis" <an...

Convert row data into column data
I have a row of data that I want to arrange in a column. I have a about 25 cells in 1 row with data. I want 25 cells in 1 column with the data. Is there an easy way to convert the row into a column? I thought I saw how on the newsgroup, but can't find it now. Thanks, Joe Lunker, select the cells, then Edit > Copy. Select a destination cell, then Edit > Paste Special > Transpose > OK. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" Visit us at www.ddmcomputing.com "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u...

Two-Column problem
Using Arrange, Layout Guides, I set up Publisher 2002 with two columns per page and with two master pages with mirrored guides. For the first 11 pages, text flowed as expected. That is, each new pair of pages had two textboxes per page. But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, not two. How do I force Publisher to give me two textboxes per page, as it did for the first 11 pages? (I might be missing something obvious. I haven't used Publisher in several years.) Thanks. Charley After mana...

Value Limits In A chart
Is there any way possible to change the color of a data series within a chart when it exceeds a value of another data series? Thanks!! Hi see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart and http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart2 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Robby" <Robby@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:03E95BC9-B246-41E9-A941-177C2C22CB4F@microsoft.com... > Is there any way possible to change the color of a data series within a chart > when it exceeds a value of another data series? > > Tha...

column heads
How do I designate an entry as the column head/label/name vs. data entry? In what context? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "4most" <4most@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5B96664-1D46-4CD8-8564-5ABDBF36DA64@microsoft.com... > How do I designate an entry as the column head/label/name vs. > data entry? I am creating an elementary spreadsheet, and I want to place headings at the top of each column. "Chip Pearson" wrote: > In what context? > > > -- > ...

Transferring a two column excel file into outlook
Is there a simple way to transfer an excel file which has two columns ,one for names the other for phone numbers, into my outlook address book? I have a excel file with over a hundred such entries and would rather not enter them individually, surly there is a simple way to do this. Any suggestions? Condo <theCONDOmanager@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a simple way to transfer an excel file which has two > columns ,one for names the other for phone numbers, into my outlook > address book? I have a excel file with over a hundred such entries > and would rather not enter them in...