.xls saving error

I am responsible for taking care of 4 computers at work.  I have on
computer that I am constantly getting the following error message whe
I try to save a file.  Each of the 4 computers use this same type o
file but only this one computer errors.  How can I fix the followin
error.... "Your changes could not be saved to "xxxx".xls but were save
to temporary document "yyyy".  Close existing document, open th
temporary document and svae it under a new name.

Thanks
Ric

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original and if that's successful,
xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

I think I'd start with the easiest stuff first.  Try disabling the antivirus
software.

If that didn't help, I'd go have those permissions checked.

(maybe it's a hardware problem???)

"cspc <" wrote:

> I am responsible for taking care of 4 computers at work.  I have one
> computer that I am constantly getting the following error message when
> I try to save a file.  Each of the 4 computers use this same type of
> file but only this one computer errors.  How can I fix the following
> error.... "Your changes could not be saved to "xxxx".xls but were saved
> to temporary document "yyyy".  Close existing document, open the
> temporary document and svae it under a new name.
>
> Thanks
> Rick
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
7/22/2004 2:54:22 AM
what do you mean by checking permissions

Each sharename can have permissions that allow certain people (or groups of
people) different levels of access.

For instance, at work we have one share that can only be written to by members
of my group.  But anyone who works at the company can get to and open any file
on that share--they just can't save it.

I'm not an expert, but I think you can have individual settings for:

Read, Write, Create, and (maybe) Delete.

Since the users can open it, they have read access.
They have create access since they create that funny named file.
But maybe they don't have delete access--since they can't delete that original
file.

(I'm not sure how Rename fits into these permissions.  I don't think it's a
special category (maybe it's part of Write.  In any event, when you go back to
your IT folks, they'll be able to compare the permissions between users who can
work ok and users who have trouble.)

But maybe someone who deals with this stuff can answer/correct my mistakes.

"cspc <" wrote:

> what do you mean by checking permissions?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

xls extension
when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I stop this happening? Hi If you go to Windows Explorer and on the Tools menu, choose Folder Options and then click the View Tab. Scroll down until you find the check box that says 'Hide file extensions for know file types. If you click this box to check it on, your .xls should be hidden. You will probably have to close Excel and restart it and then it should work. Hope this helps Ann >-----Original Message----- >when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I >stop...

Is it possible to create 'sub' accounts in a savings account?
In my (long term) savings account, I want to specifically put money aside for different "things" (e.g. christmas gifts, new car, TV, vacation, etc). Is it possible to do this? How? I've thought of creating Ghost Accounts - then in Money moving $$ from Savings to a Ghost account for "TV" - but then realized my Bank balance and my Money balance for the savings account would always wrong. (!) Then I've thought of creating new Categories.. but haven't figured it out. Any thoughts.. I think this tool/aspect would be very very useful. I can't think I&...

saving pub file as .htm or .html
I just reformatted my hard drive and re-loaded Office 2003. Previously before uploading to my host server I saved my file as htm or html file--now there doesnt seem to be that option in the "save as type" file...am I missing something, do I need to install an update or an extra or did I reload the wrong version of Office/Publisher? (I thought I had 2003 previously) thanks in advance Select File, Save as a website. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "segsig" <segsig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32A9EBC2-2AE6-4529-9E21-83E71789C37E@m...

Excel Startup Error
Box was all ready unchecked. Tried checking it / saving, then uncheck save to make sure -- still have same issue. Thanks -- philale ----------------------------------------------------------------------- philalex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1537 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26994 a couple of other things 1) Do you have an overactive virus scanner? (It will normally say virus scanning on the status bar) 2) Do you have journalling set up in Outlook? 3) Try renaming a file called Excel.xlb (Maybe hid...

Hide Global.xls (personal.xls) in project explorer
How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want my normal project there. Helge You can't hide it, but you could give it a password: Select your project Tools|VBAProject|Protection tab Give it a memorable password At least the project won't be too intrusive. nankerp wrote: > > How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want > my normal project there. > > Helge -- Dave Peterson ...

Outlook WAB Error
When I try to open Outlook 2000 I get an "OLE registration Error occurred. Run setup again" I have re-installed and continue to get the sam error message. I think my "Windows Address Book" was deleted and cannot figure out where this and the .wab file should be located. Any help is greatly appreciated JW Outlook does not use the WAB unless you are using "Internet Mail Only" mode. If that's the case, then you'll need to reinstall Outlook Express (not Outlook) after renaming any WAB32.DLL files. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "JW" <...

link and save
I WANT TO LINK TWO PAGES TOGETHER AND MAKE THE SECOND SHEET SAVE THE DATA SO WHEN THE NEXT DAY IS ENTERED THE DATA WILL ADD AND BUILD UP. FOR EXAMPLE TODAY I SOLD 1000.00 WORTH OF GOODS. THIS WILL SHOW ON BOTH PAGES. YESTERDAY I SOLD 1800.00. THIS WAS NOT SAVED. INSTEAD OF THE SECOND PAGE READING 2800.00 IT ONLY WILL READ 1000.00. HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM? ANY HELP WITH THIS MATTER WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ...

Outlook 2003 Loop Error
Outlook 2003 upgraded from Outlook 2002. running wWindows 2000 with all the latest upgrades. When I try to open Outlook it says it has to close. In safe mode it says it has to close. I have created a new profile to start from scratch and it does the same thing.I have repaired the installation, completely removed it and reinstalled it...same thing. I have removed active snc also...same thing. TIA, need help. ...

Saving Word/Excel to Groove Workspace
Is there a way to create a document/workbook in MS Office and then save it directly to a Groove Workspace? I have looked everywhere and cannot find any information about this at all. Having this facility would be hugely beneficial to me as I am using Groove with colleagues via SharePoint and it is painful to have to save the file and then upload them to Groove/SharePoint individually (don't even get me started on uploading multiple files to SharePoint). Thanks for any assistance. ...

Internet Explorer 7.0 is non-responsive on "Save as Completed"
When using IE7, the browser goes "Not Responding" when I close "Tasks", or any "Activity" for that matter. It does this only from outside our regular network. Has anyone else had this issue? Hi, Do you use the same URL when on the outside of the regular network? I noticed sometims things go wrong with security zone settings in Internet Explorer. Best regards, Merijn van Mourik http://crmerijn.blogspot.com "Wes Dixon" wrote: > When using IE7, the browser goes "Not Responding" when I close "Tasks", or > any "Acti...

xls attachment became dat
Hi all. Recently i received an email that was send to me and my colleague. The attachment is of xls but when i received it, it was in the form of dat. My colleague received it as xls. Is there anything wrong with my outlook? Are you using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? These two are very different programs where one can handle Rich Text messages (Microsoft Outlook) while the other cannot. The common message formats between Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express is Plain Text and/or HTML. Therefore I would double check with the sender to verify that they sent the message in Pla...

error 0x80040900 in outlook retrieving mail
Hi error 0x80040900 Seen the replys in some forums and i am having the same problem. As i have a third party email in my outlook Ntl broadband wont look at it. This all started happening two days ago and is driving me nuts. Nothing has changed or be installed on my PC. The folling is the exact message i get when trying to send and receive emails: Task 'mail.nsia.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x80040900) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.' ...

controling a .xls from another .xls
does anyone know if it is possible to control one excell file from another. i.e lets say there are two files: a.xls & b.xls in "a.xls" cell A1 we input the number "100", is it possible for this number to automatically be populated in to cell A1 of "b.xls"??? if so how??? thanks guys -- on-a-mission ------------------------------------------------------------------------ on-a-mission's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513234 In cell A...

Saving .xls without macro
Hello, I did a search for this issue, but I can't find anything related t it. This is my issue: I have an .xlt which contains macro, at the end of the macro I save th resulting sheets as .xls. The resulting sheets are saved with origina macro. I wonder is there a way that I could save the file without th macro. I am using this code to save my file as .xls. File_Save_Name = Sheets("Menu").Range("D6").Value & Format _(Now "mmddyy") & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=File_Save_Name, FileFormat:= _ xlNormal, Password:="",...

Error 0x8000FFFF
Hi there We've been using CRM 1.2 for some time. Today I stupidly(?) endeavoured to install a Brother BR-Webadmin printer management system on our secondary server (which runs CRM and nothing else). Later in the day our CRM users complained that they couldn't access the CRM homepage, but Sales for Outlook is working fine. Currently when you access the CRM server it reports http://servername/_common/error/errorhandler.aspx?errNum=0x8000FFFF SQL is not installed on this server and the security service is running. I am wondering if the Brother installation has interfered somehow ...

File Save As
When I do a file save as, my folders are no longer sorted/alphabetical. When I go to view them in Windows Explorer or through My Computer, they are sorted. Trying to located unsorted folders is very time consuming. Any answers on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. hi, the default sort in the save as is set to something other than alphabetical. in the file save as dialog box, in the upper right corner click the down arrow of the icon that looks like a small spreadsheet.(on mine it is second from right) at the bottom of the drop down click "arrange icons". You...

Saving Attachments #8
While using Outlook 2000, I opened up a MS Word attachment and made numeous changes to it while at the same time continously saving the document with the save disk icon on the toolbar. At the end of making my changes and exiting Outlook I was asked if I wanted to save changes. Thinking this is what I had been doing all along, I selected no. When I went back into the attached document, my changes were not visible. Did I lose all the changes I had made or is the document lurking in an altenate hidden location? Thanks. Blase "Blase" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Excel 2007 Save As menu customizeable ?
I often want to save a worksheet as a .csv file which makes it easily transferrable to our mainframe. Can I customize the "Save As" menu in Excel 2007 to include CSV as a choice, instead of always having to navigate through the "Other Formats"? TIA, -- Nancy Hi Nancy Yes that is possible You must use a add-in with xml to do this I will post a example for you after dinner -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "notawahoo" <notawahoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C912C785-4097-4931-A52...

I'm getting files saved with names like 48A52100 with no .xls f.
I'm getting spreadsheets saved on our network with an 8-character string as the filename and no .xls file extension. Using the "Open with . . ." option they successfully open with Excel. Does anyone know why this is happening? -- Iain N Black Kelton - These are temp files created when Excel saves a workbook. Normally they are deleted when the save is complete. This might fall under the funny behaviors that occur when working with files on a network. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech...

Parsing an XML file, ERROR: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required. HELP!
I'm getting the above error thrown somewhere in the code: XPathDocument xPathDocument = new XPathDocument(FileLocation); XPathNavigator xPathNavigator = xPathDocument.CreateNavigator(); XPathNodeIterator nodeIterator = xPathNavigator.Select("/plist/dict"); nodeIterator.MoveNext(); nodeIterator = nodeIterator.Current.SelectChildren(XPathNodeType.All); where FileLocation contains the full path of a local XML file. Why is this trying to access the file via the proxy ? What can I do to fix this ? JezB wrote: > I'm getting the above error thrown somewhere in the code:...

Save and Save As disabled in Advance Find
Hi All, We just upgraded from crm1.2 to 3.0. We are using the Outlook light client. One issue that we found is that the Advance Find screen can create criteria, but does not allow the users to save it. The buttons 'Save' and 'Save As' are gray out. We fill all the fields, properties and what not. and the users remain with those buttons gray out. Any ideas? Jorge Varas Solved. It is the Security role setting 'Saved view' <sarcasm>It was soooo intuitive!!! </sarcasm? "Jorge Varas" <jvaras@icon-intl.com> wrote in message news:uthpplJ...

save the username and date
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows how to call the system to save the date and username into a table of the last person who was in a particular access table? "Interactive worksheet" <Interactiveworksheet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45654751-5C48-40AF-A61E-7045862761F5@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone knows how to call the system to save the date > and > username into a table of the last person who was in a particular access > table? You can get the username by putting code in a standard module: http://www...

launching xls in web browser
I am trying to launch two instances of the same xls file from a browser. The first one launches successfully in a new browser window. The second one also launches successfully. However, the first browser window becomes blank after the second report launches. When I close the first browser window the second window becomes blank as well. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? ...

importing .xls chart info to .xls calendar
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) How do I take the information in an .xls file and import it to a blank .xls calendar? ...

Document.Save with indents
Hello there, is it possible to write an XML document into a file, which has a readable structure by using indents? By doubleclicking the xml file, you see a readable XML structure in IE, but if you open the file in a text editor, you get an unformatted structure of the XML. Furthermore I would like to show a formatted XML text in a text box: txtResponse.Text = xDoc.OuterXml shows an unformatted text. Regards, Norbert Norbert P�rringer wrote: > is it possible to write an XML document into a file, which has a > readable structure by using indents? Sure, use the Save method w...