"Remotely" Change Cell Values

Hey gang -

I've developed a deer population model (1 for each of 88 counties) to
track herd size from 1981 to present.   I start with an initial
population estimate (in 3 male and 3 female age groups) in 1981 and
each year add births and subtract known mortalities (aka harvest).  I
also make some estimates of non-harvest losses and nonreporting (people
who harvest but do not report).   Any how, if I've got all the
parameters (birth rates, survival estimates...) right and I've done a
good job of accounting for all mortality, I should be able to generate
a fall population estimate each year indefinitely.  However, if I start
with too many deer in 1981 or conversely too few, the herd either goes
to infinity or extinction in short order.  When that happens, I have to
them ever so slightly, update the pivot table, rechart the data and
take a peek.  This is a rather slow process, since I have to do this
for 88 counties!  The "master" worksheet contains 2280 rows of data -
25 years for each of 88 counties.  As you would expect, each year's
(row) population estimate is dependent upon the rows above it within a
given county.

My question for the group is this, would there be an easy way to
"remotely" change the values in each of 6 cells?  Here's kind of what I
had in mind:

Would it be reasonable to create a separate worksheet (or block of
cells within the same sheet) and populate this new "subworksheet" with
the 1981 (initial population estimates) estimates for all 88 counties
and then link these cells back to cells in the master table containing
the 1981 estimates.   That way, I could make changes quickly to the
initial estimates in the "subworksheet" and they would be reflected in
the "master" spreadsheet.   I might mention that in most cases, I will
be adjusting the 1981 estimates in the subworksheet for all 6 age/sex
classes by the same amount - generally a fraction of a percent is all
it takes to make a significant change over 25 years.  For example, I
might want to multiply all 6 1981 values for Adams county by 1.075.

The more I think about it, I guess the "sub" worksheet would have to
have 13 columns.  Six would hold the original values from the master, 1
cell would hold the "multiplier" (that I adjust) and the other 6 would
contain the results (=A1*Multiplier Cell).

Is this way too primitive of an approach?  Am I making it more
complicated that it has to be?  Is there a better appraoch?  I would
greatly appreciate any ideas you might have.  If I've left out critical
details, holler.  I also should mention that I was hoping to have an
intern do this, which means I would need to comeup with something that
couldn't be "broke" real easy.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

0
mtonkovich (100)
7/18/2006 12:11:50 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Mike,

What an amazing project, and using Excel. Like it.

A master sheet sounds exactly the way to go. If you hold the estimates etc.
there as you suggest, in a county sheet, you can then just use

='Master Sheet'!H2 and I2, etc.

You could even store the county name in say column N, then use
=INDEX('Master
Sheet'!H:H,MATCH(=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,99
),'Master Sheet'!N:N),8)

to get the data from column H. Any new sheet added can get the data without
updating the formulae.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Takeadoe" <mtonkovich@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hey gang -
>
> I've developed a deer population model (1 for each of 88 counties) to
> track herd size from 1981 to present.   I start with an initial
> population estimate (in 3 male and 3 female age groups) in 1981 and
> each year add births and subtract known mortalities (aka harvest).  I
> also make some estimates of non-harvest losses and nonreporting (people
> who harvest but do not report).   Any how, if I've got all the
> parameters (birth rates, survival estimates...) right and I've done a
> good job of accounting for all mortality, I should be able to generate
> a fall population estimate each year indefinitely.  However, if I start
> with too many deer in 1981 or conversely too few, the herd either goes
> to infinity or extinction in short order.  When that happens, I have to
> them ever so slightly, update the pivot table, rechart the data and
> take a peek.  This is a rather slow process, since I have to do this
> for 88 counties!  The "master" worksheet contains 2280 rows of data -
> 25 years for each of 88 counties.  As you would expect, each year's
> (row) population estimate is dependent upon the rows above it within a
> given county.
>
> My question for the group is this, would there be an easy way to
> "remotely" change the values in each of 6 cells?  Here's kind of what I
> had in mind:
>
> Would it be reasonable to create a separate worksheet (or block of
> cells within the same sheet) and populate this new "subworksheet" with
> the 1981 (initial population estimates) estimates for all 88 counties
> and then link these cells back to cells in the master table containing
> the 1981 estimates.   That way, I could make changes quickly to the
> initial estimates in the "subworksheet" and they would be reflected in
> the "master" spreadsheet.   I might mention that in most cases, I will
> be adjusting the 1981 estimates in the subworksheet for all 6 age/sex
> classes by the same amount - generally a fraction of a percent is all
> it takes to make a significant change over 25 years.  For example, I
> might want to multiply all 6 1981 values for Adams county by 1.075.
>
> The more I think about it, I guess the "sub" worksheet would have to
> have 13 columns.  Six would hold the original values from the master, 1
> cell would hold the "multiplier" (that I adjust) and the other 6 would
> contain the results (=A1*Multiplier Cell).
>
> Is this way too primitive of an approach?  Am I making it more
> complicated that it has to be?  Is there a better appraoch?  I would
> greatly appreciate any ideas you might have.  If I've left out critical
> details, holler.  I also should mention that I was hoping to have an
> intern do this, which means I would need to comeup with something that
> couldn't be "broke" real easy.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Mike

Bob - could you elaborate a bit?  I'm not sure I'm on the same
wavelength.  What's "filename" refer to?  I won't be adding any new
sheets.

Mike
Bob Phillips wrote:
> [...]
> > be adjusting the 1981 estimates in the subworksheet for all 6 age/sex
> > classes by the same amount - generally a fraction of a percent is all
> > it takes to make a significant change over 25 years.  For example, I
> > might want to multiply all 6 1981 values for Adams county by 1.075.
> >
> > The more I think about it, I guess the "sub" worksheet would have to
> > have 13 columns.  Six would hold the original values from the master, 1
> > cell would hold the "multiplier" (that I adjust) and the other 6 would
> > contain the results (=A1*Multiplier Cell).
> >
> > Is this way too primitive of an approach?  Am I making it more
> > complicated that it has to be?  Is there a better appraoch?  I would
> > greatly appreciate any ideas you might have.  If I've left out critical
> > details, holler.  I also should mention that I was hoping to have an
> > intern do this, which means I would need to comeup with something that

0
mtonkovich (100)
7/18/2006 1:13:31 PM
Hi!

Just a thought........

If you have to continually "adjust" your initial population estimates to
prevent infinity or extinction then that sounds like your model is
flawed,.at least, the methodology used to obtain that initial (1981)
estimate.

Biff

> [...]
>> > be adjusting the 1981 estimates in the subworksheet for all 6 age/sex
>> > classes by the same amount - generally a fraction of a percent is all
>> > it takes to make a significant change over 25 years.  For example, I
>> > might want to multiply all 6 1981 values for Adams county by 1.075.
>> >
>> > The more I think about it, I guess the "sub" worksheet would have to
>> > have 13 columns.  Six would hold the original values from the master, 1
>> > cell would hold the "multiplier" (that I adjust) and the other 6 would
>> > contain the results (=A1*Multiplier Cell).
>> >
>> > Is this way too primitive of an approach?  Am I making it more
>> > complicated that it has to be?  Is there a better appraoch?  I would
>> > greatly appreciate any ideas you might have.  If I've left out critical
>> > details, holler.  I also should mention that I was hoping to have an
>> > intern do this, which means I would need to comeup with something that

0
biffinpitt (3171)

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

changing contents of a sheet remotely
Hi, I have a list of jobs on sheet1 col A contains the job number, Sheet2 is an invoice, i enter job numbers into col A and Vlookups operate in the other cols. When i enter a number into sheet2 i would like the row which contains this job number to have the date entered into col M so i can easily check if a job has been charged out. What is the command for this, will it have to be run as a macro? If i then go on to enter numbers in a list down to cell A38 on sheet 2 is the best way to write code to look at all the numbers at once and adjust sheet1 accordingly? Or input the job numbers via a...

remote assistance to remotely access client PCs of another domain
Hi all, I have 2 forest which are connected by a 2way trust with selective authentication enabled. I have domain admin accounts on both forest. As my IT support staff are located in 1 forest, there are times where they need to support end users of another forest. What can i do to allow my IT support staff to be able to use remote assistance to support users of another forest? Can i set my support staff to have "allow to authenticate" permission for the entire forest? If this can be done, will it help? Pls advise. Thks in advance. I don't believe any special permi...

Exmon remotely?
Anyway to run Exmon remotely (i.e. not on the Exchange box) and "point" it at Exchange? Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Anyway to run Exmon remotely (i.e. not on the Exchange box) and "point" it at >Exchange? Not that I know of. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com ...

any way to remotely monitor the ese database being mounted or dismounted?
any way to remotely monitor the ese database instance being mounted or dismounted? can a script or wmi be used to do this? pokieMan On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:29:05 -0500, pm@tcu.edu wrote: >any way to remotely monitor the ese database instance being mounted or >dismounted? > >can a script or wmi be used to do this? > >pokieMan The event is logged in the application event log. What are you trying to achieve here, i.e. what is the business requirement? On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:57:18 -0400, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote: >On Wed...

Accessing Money Remotely
Hello, Is there a way to access the full features and data of Money 2005 on my home desktop from a remote computer? Thanks in advance. Rick Not unless you share your local file system over some network you can get to remotely. If you want to get to a copy of some of your data from a web client then synchronize the web copy with your desktop, and are willing to store your data on an MSN web server to do it, check out what the on-net help calls, misleadingly, "file sharing". "Rick Johnston" <richardjohnston@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:ecnj3qOzEHA.3820@...

Need a batch file or small script to run /release and /renew on an XP computer remotely.
Hi, I connect to my office and subsequent school computers remotely pretty often, and am in need of a way to run the "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" commands from my remote location on the school computers. it would seem to be a simple file, I just don't know how to make the script "wait" for a min or so, and then run the "renew" part so I can reconnect. Anyone?? Thanks! niteowl niteowl wrote: > I connect to my office and subsequent school computers remotely > pretty often, and am in need of a way to run the &...

Checking messages remotely
I can connect to my exchange server from a remote location however when I hit send and receive once I'm connected to synchronize my selected folders I synchronize all the messages in my selected Inbox, even those that i have already read. How can i prevent all the messages in the Inbox from being synchronized and only update those that I still have not read. Any help would be appricated SS ...

Connecting Remotely
HI Guys, I want an Technical Guide in Connecting To Great Plains Remotely or ideas. Thanks, habibalby I have been successfully using VPN connection to connect to a Citrix server that runs our Great Plains. "Habibalby" wrote: > HI Guys, > > I want an Technical Guide in Connecting To Great Plains Remotely or ideas. > > Thanks, > > habibalby What about other than using Citrix? such as Terminal Server. Have u got any documentation for VPN connectivity? Thanks, "Shariq" wrote: > I have been successfully using VPN connection to connect t...

CAN'T CONNECT TO EXCHANGE SERVER REMOTELY VIA VPN TUNNEL
Please help. I have a remote user that is in domain users group. Default Group Policy assigned with no changes to it. I am in the domain admin group. If I log into her machine I have no problem accessing Jane's mailbox. If I login as Jane I can't connect to the exchange server. I can ping the host and ip address of the exchange server but exchange does not respond when she logs in. I am connecting via VPN tunnel and have no problem with that piece of it. Does the user have to be assigned to a special built in group? I don't understand how the user can ping the serve...

installing and upgrading remotely
Hello: This GP 9.0 SP3 client is going to be upgrading to GP 10.0 in a couple of weeks. They do not have Integration Manager. They do have Business Portal. So far, I have successfully installed and upgraded GP, BP, and FRx remotely through Remote Desktop Connection on a virtual server. I have had no issues. There are no ISVs in the mix. I will be doing this all live in a couple of weeks. The client has BP 3.0 on a Windows Server 2003 and GP/SQL 2005 on a 2008 box--just like my test environment. The only time that I have ever had issues with installing or upgrading has been in th...

outlook 2003 actions not updated in office when done remotely & vice versa
Hi All, I have seen vague references to this problem but couldn't find what I am looking for... We have Outlook 2003 at the office running in Cached Exchange Mode and Exchange Server 2003. I also have a number of users connecting to Outlook through our Terminal Server (Remote Desktop connection not RPC). The problem is - I've had a couple of users complain that when they make a change (say, mark an item as unread) remotely, that change has not been updated at the office the next day. I invoked the Send/Receive and this worked for one item - but the problem seems to occur periodicall...

viewing emails remotely
I've set up a new email address on my laptop. I can access this from my work PC to view the emails but when I try to view these emails that I have received at work when I'm at home I get an error message saying that I need to be online. I'd like to be able to use the email facilities from any machine that I log on to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- TomMurray Ddo you have an internet connection at home? "tom" wrote: > I've set up a new email address on my laptop. I can access this from my work > PC to view the emails...

outlook 2003 connecting to exchange server remotely
We're moving our laptop users to OL 2003 and I'm setting up the accounts to point to our exchange server in cached exchange mode but when I dialup off our lan I can't seem to get it to connect. Any ideas? What happens, exactly? Are there error messages? When dialed-in, can you ping the Exchange Server? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "brain_fart" <williamson_dickie@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:39e401c40151$8cf7b800$a601280...

How do I synchronise Outlook with a handheld device remotely ?
I use Outlook and my colleague has an XDA which we synchronise with Outlook by plugging it in every evening. I understand amendments I make on the computer can be automatically sent to the XDA if the XDA has a SIM & data pack (which it does). Does anyone know how to do this..Many thanks "REEBIE" <REEBIE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA932C4D-E1DA-4542-98D7-E13FB8FD1973@microsoft.com... >I use Outlook and my colleague has an XDA which we synchronise with Outlook > by plugging it in every evening. I understand amendments I make on the &...

Logged in remotely once, can't stop popups
I once logged into my Outlook work account from home and since then I cannot stop email notifications (and snippets of emails) popping up on my home PC. I've tried changing my password at work and deleting cookies/web history on my home pc, but this doesn't seems to have worked. The problem is I now have confidential work emails popping up at home. How do I stop this once and for all? Thanks -- vinopolis ...

Report Server (RS) runs locally but not remotely
I had a working install of SQL RS 2005, but something appears to have broken the RS component. Attempts to generate reports only work if a privileged user is logged into the CRM server locally (CRM3+SQL2005+W2K3 on member server). Attempts to use from any other machine result in 3 prompts for credentials, then an IIS message "You are not authorised to view this page" I can find no errors in any event logs, etc. to give me a clue as to cause. A solution would be great, but just a pointer as to where to look or a list of how a working report server is configured might help. ...

Access email remotely
Is it possible to access your Windows Live Email from a remote location and, if so, please let me know how? Thanks! Hi, Hilton Head. "Hilton Head" wrote in message news:9A0260D0-BEDA-4424-9A0C-C884F03C266E@microsoft.com... Is it possible to access your Windows Live Email from a remote location and, if so, please let me know how? Thanks! It's not at all clear what you are trying to do. :>( If you just want to pick up your email from any online computer in the world, use mail2web.com . If you want to run Windows Live Mail on another computer, ju...

Running an application remotely
Ok, not too sure this should really be in the MFC forum, but it deals with an MFC question so..... Anyways, I have an MFC app which basically just connects to the serial port for communication with a satellite device. Now I can run the program from another computer (over the network) and it opens up, etc fine, but I want to know, can I open a program across the network and get it to use the serial port of the computer that the program resides on??? Right now if I use computer A to open the program on Computer B (which has the only copy of the program and the only satellite) it tried t...

Remotely Startup a Node
The operating system installed in most nodes in our LAN is Windows 2000 professional or Windows 2000 Advanced Server. How do I write code in VC++ to remotely startup a machine (TURN IT ON REMOTELY" There is Wake-On-LAN feature that can resume a computer from stand-by or hibernation mode (though not from completely powered-off state). It should be enabled in the BIOS, supported by NIC and driver and enabled in OS. Otherwise you can program a small robot that runs to computer and presses the power button. "Nitin" <nitinmutreja@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a3d601c380...

When checking email remotely, how do I know if a return receipt w.
When checking email remotely, how do I know if a return receipt was requested for a particular message? "csbrand" <csbrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BA3B793-3DE3-481F-B91A-FB33FB023E47@microsoft.com... > When checking email remotely, how do I know if a return receipt was > requested > for a particular message? Well, that depends on what "remote application" you are using and what options you have set (if possible) regarding request for read receipts. In Microsoft Outlook Web Access, there is a option on how OWA should respond ...

SBS2003
Hi guys our company has been running SBS 2003 for 2 years now. I set it up, and it seems to have been working fine. However, due to our office closing, we have moved it to a sister company, and are accessing it via VPN. Have now started getting loads of SBS monitoring errors, and events being logged about sharepoint, STS_Config, and it seems the SQL installation is flaky too. Trying to run the Monitoring wizard throws an error and tells me to install the server tools. / What will happen if I go to add/remove programs, and run the SBS setup ? Is there a danger of losing the ex...

Problems with logging in remotely on SBS2008
There was an account on it that was deleted and then an account with the same name had to be created. Now when logging on remotely we're getting "the requested session access is denied". Any ideas? yaro ...

Staying connected remotely
I'm connected to work from home from a VPN, I've got Outlook open and the icon in the bottom right shows I'm disconnected from the Exchange server. How can I connect to the Exchange Server and stay connected, even after Outlook is done its first synchronization? I know I can close Outlook, and this time select "Work Online" at startup to stay connected. I'd like to get and stay connected, without closing Outlook. This seems to be the intent of leaving the "Stay connected " option unselected under MS Exchange Settings > Exchange Server> Properties &...

Sharing Calendars Remotely
Can anyone suggest how two or three computers that are not networked, except that all are connected to the 'net, can share Outlook 2000 calendars? put the server address for the outlook that you want to share into each one of the computers. hope that helped. >-----Original Message----- >Can anyone suggest how two or three computers that are not networked, >except that all are connected to the 'net, can share Outlook 2000 >calendars? >. > On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 05:42:15 GMT, loki wrote in <news:a9d601c3ebaa $cf6b28a0$a601280a@phx.gbl>: > put the s...