"Name Conflict" when Excel 2007 open an old worksheet

Hi all,

An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as a
built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also could open
on
Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the worksheet file name could
not solve the problem after tested. Why?

Thank you,

Chik

0
chik (12)
3/29/2007 3:33:30 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Chik" <c...@netvigator.com> wrote...
>An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as
>a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also
>could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the
>worksheet file name could not solve the problem after tested. Why?

Just because it can open in XL2003 doesn't mean it should open in
XL2007. And as you've seen for yourself, it's not the filename.

A guess: you have defined names that happen to match cell addresses in
the new grid, e.g., ABC123456 was a valid name in XL2003 and prior,
but isn't in XL2007.

If you can't open the file at all under XL2007, do you still have
XL2003 or XL2000? If so, you'll need to open the file in the older
version, change the name(s), resave, then open in XL2007.

0
hrlngrv1 (375)
3/29/2007 4:46:41 AM
"Harlan Grove" <hrln...@gmail.com> wrote...
>A guess: you have defined names that happen to match cell addresses
>in the new grid . . .

Did a web search, and this may not be the problem. There could be new
built-in names in XL2007 like the older Print_Area and Print_Titles
that Excel uses for new functionality. If so, you'll need to change
those defined names.

0
hrlngrv1 (375)
3/29/2007 4:56:31 AM
Just to add to Harlan's advice...

If you're working with names, get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams
and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It might make finding that offending name easier.

--

Dave Peterson
0

The popup need me to change built-in name of "Print_Titles" somethink like
that. Where I can change it?

Thanks,

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Harlan Grove" <hrln...@gmail.com> wrote...
>>A guess: you have defined names that happen to match cell addresses
>>in the new grid . . .
>
> Did a web search, and this may not be the problem. There could be new
> built-in names in XL2007 like the older Print_Area and Print_Titles
> that Excel uses for new functionality. If so, you'll need to change
> those defined names.

0
chik (12)
3/30/2007 8:17:27 AM
Thanks...

> Just to add to Harlan's advice...
>
> If you're working with names, get Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles
> Williams
> and Matthew Henson) Name Manager:
>
> You can find it at:
> NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp
>
> It might make finding that offending name easier.
>
> Chik wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as a
>> built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also could
>> open
>> on
>> Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the worksheet file name
>> could
>> not solve the problem after tested. Why?
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Chik
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
chik (12)
3/30/2007 9:26:12 AM
Chik

You may also need to look at any range names beginning with xl.  This is now
a reserved start to range names in XL2007, although Excel 2007 should handle
this on opening new workbooks by putting _ in front

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

FREE UK OFFICE USER GROUP MEETING, MS READING, 27th APRIL 2007
www.officeusergroup.co.uk

"Chik" <chik@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Hi Harlan,
>
> The popup need me to change built-in name of "Print_Titles" somethink like
> that. Where I can change it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> "Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Harlan Grove" <hrln...@gmail.com> wrote...
>>>A guess: you have defined names that happen to match cell addresses
>>>in the new grid . . .
>>
>> Did a web search, and this may not be the problem. There could be new
>> built-in names in XL2007 like the older Print_Area and Print_Titles
>> that Excel uses for new functionality. If so, you'll need to change
>> those defined names.

"Name Conflict" when Excel 2007 open an old worksheet
Hi all, An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change the worksheet file name could not solve the problem after tested. Why? Thank you, Chik "Chik" <c...@netvigator.com> wrote... >An "Name Conflict" error message pop-up "Name cannot be the same as >a built-in name". That worksheet was created by Excel 2000 and also >could open on Excel 2003 without any error message. Change th...

NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name.
I am trying to open an Excel file using version 2007 that we have receive from a sister company. when i open it i get the below message. NAME CONFLICT: Name cannot be the same as built-in name. Old Name: Print_area. New Name: (leaves area blank for you to fill in.) no matter what i type in the name or it OK or Cancel the file never opens using 2007. if i use excel 2003 the file opens without any issues. any help would be greatly appreciated. Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel MVP has in the past offered this explanation. Excel checks the integrity of a file when it opens it. Your file contains...

name conflict #2
"name cannot resemble a reference" window comes after trying to change settings from r1c1 refeence style to a1.b1 style. any help will be appreciated. thanks a lot Giulio, this prompt appears because a name that resembles a cell reference ("A1" for example) has been assigned either to a single cell or to a range somewhere in the workbook. The prompt should indicate the name that Excel has detected. If it does not, cancel the prompt, then check the names box by selecting Insert > Name > Define. Change or delete any names that resemble cell references, and you sho...

Name Conflict
I need help changing the cell reference style from R1C1 back to the A1 reference style. When I try changing it using the normal Tools-Options-General method, I get a Name Conflict message which says, "Name cannot resemble a reference." The message box displays an "Old Name" and then asks for a "New Name". I have no idea why Excel prompts me for this. There are some names in the workbook which were set up by the initial creator of the file, but most of the names don't reference valid sheets anymore (the sheets were probably deleted a long time ago)...

Domain Name Conflict in Running ADC
We have a domain named "Cornerstone" and email comes to us at cornerstonegrp.com What happens when we merge 5.5 into AD? I would imagine nothing of consequence. But what do you mean "merge"? "jhkadmin" <jhkadmin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7523C12C-790F-4E7C-8A30-FBDD23936B23@microsoft.com... > We have a domain named "Cornerstone" and email comes to us at > cornerstonegrp.com > > What happens when we merge 5.5 into AD? martin, Thanks for the reply. The atributes of users in Exchange 5.5 get moved into AD ...

Name conflicts
When copying a sheet within a workbook, I often get this message - a formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'mark' which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name? This happens only once in a while, and I don't know why. Is there any way to get rid of the name conflicts or whatever is causing them? ...

"Name Conflict" opening an Excel 2003 workbook
I'm getting a "Name Conflict" "Name cannot be the same as a built-in name." Old name: Print_Area New name: All of the solutions I've read is to load this into Excel 2003, fix the problem, then re-save it. But I do not want to load Excel 2003 on a box just to do this for a few spreadsheets. I downloaded a program called NameManager.zip but this only works, from what I can tell, once you have opened the file. The whole problem is I can't get the spreadsheet opened with this name conflict. Is there a solution? Thanks, Rick Have you tried re-naming...

Help. What does this mean? Name conflicts with a valid rage reference...
We are having issues with Excell 2007 on Vista where all the formatting of a document disappears. This is one of the error messages we're seeing and are wondering what it means and how to fix it. http://picasaweb.google.com/ithomasm/Issues/photo#5187238826015514226 Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Make sure you find the image marked Excel. Picasa doesn't always link directly to it. On Apr 9, 9:41=A0pm, iThomasM <ithom...@gmail.com> wrote: > We are having issues with Excell 2007 on Vista where all the > formatting of a document disappears. > > This is one of the ...

Name conflicts #2
Below email was posted before. I have lost the link that direct me to the add-in manager that can unhide hidden name. Can anyone advise me again. TQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I always encounter an error message when i copy a sheet from one workbook to another workbook. The error message is as below: ================ A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name '____123graph_A', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version...

Copy sheet in Excel
Hi Wonder if anyone of you encounter this problem before? When I try to copy worksheet in a workbook, the following prompt comes up, indicating name conflict. "A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'aaaa', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name? - To use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes - To rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, click No, and enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box" When I clicked yes, another prompt comes up indicating ...

Name Conflict Message from Excel
When I attemtp to create a copy of an existing worksheet in my workbook I get the following message from excel: A formula or sheet you what to move or copy contains the name 'what' which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to us this version of the name? I have searched the worksheet for such name and confirmed in the Defin Name dialog box that is not listed. Any ideas on how to find the alleged name or how to delete it -- Guy Hoffma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Hoffman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/me...

Name Conflict window pops up, when I try to open a saved worksheet
I keep getting this window and no matter how i try to rename it , it wont let me, but it wont open -- w ...

Name Conflict Dialog Box???
Excel 2000 ... I have a WorkBook that when I try to copy one of the TabSheets (any of the 3 TabSheets) I get a Pop- up containing the following (very annoying) message. ********************************************************** "A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'My_Name' which already exsist on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name? To use the name as defined in the destination sheet, Click Yes. To rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, Click No, and enter a new name in the Name Conflict Di...

How to avoid name conflicts while copying sheets
hi, Hi i'm writing macros for an excel file. i've a macro which will read the data from there are 30 to 40 work books each work book contains 8 worksheets and copies that data and paste the copied data into new workbook with corresponding 8 sheets. it is copying the data into new work sheet. whats my problem is while coping the data from all work books data it gives an dailog box.it gives an error it shows the message as. i used same name in all 30-40 workbooks _DATA_impact_image "A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name '_DATA_impact_image&...

Custom chart gallery and range name conflicts
When I create a user-defined chart type, Excel seems to copy lots of range names to the file xlusrgal.xls. Is there a way to stop it doing this because it is triggering lots of problems. It creates a range name conflict when I try to create a new user-defined chart type, unless I run a macro like: Sub deletenames() For Each myname In ActiveWorkbook.Names myname.Delete Next myname End Sub in xlusrgal.xls Is there any way round this? I get this problem using Excel 97 and 2000 (I don't have XP or 2003). (let me know if this question should have been asked to microsoft.public.excel.progr...