#NAME and INDIRECT.EXT (broken?)

Cell looks like this
=INDIRECT.EXT("'K:\CP\["&A4&".xls]Exam1'!$E$8")

Cell A4 contains the string "test" and there is a file named "test.xls"

When I completed the sheet this all worked.
When I closed it and opened it again all I get are #NAME? errors.
If I go into each cell (and there are hundreds of them) and "pretend" to
edit the cell with the INDIRECT.EXT reference, then it works for that cell.

What have I done wrong?

0
killspam (9)
11/3/2004 5:03:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

INDIRECT doesn't work with closed source file. When you open at same time
the workbook which is referred in cell A4, the formula will work - until you
close the source workbook again. It is a reason, I myself use INDIRECT to
refer inside workbook only.

Arvi Laanemets

Arvi Laanemets" <arvilaanemets@hot.ee> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> INDIRECT doesn't work with closed source file. When you open at same time
> the workbook which is referred in cell A4, the formula will work - until
> you
> close the source workbook again. It is a reason, I myself use INDIRECT to
> refer inside workbook only.

Misunderstanding. I am using the add-in called INDIRECT.EXT.

0
killspam (9)
11/3/2004 6:22:57 PM
"Arvi Laanemets" <arvilaanemets@hot.ee> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> INDIRECT doesn't work with closed source file.

Just a little more information. INDIRECT.EXT does work with closed files.
The error is #NAME, not #REF which you might be getting.

0
killspam (9)
11/3/2004 6:26:48 PM
Hi

Sorry then! I never used this - is it some 3rd-party add-in, or simply an
UDF?

> "Arvi Laanemets" <arvilaanemets@hot.ee> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > INDIRECT doesn't work with closed source file.
>
> Just a little more information. INDIRECT.EXT does work with closed files.
> The error is #NAME, not #REF which you might be getting.

Hi
does hitting F9 helps to re-calculate the cells? (Could be that just
the number of cells using this UDF is too much)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"jjs" <killspam@no.no.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Cell looks like this
> =INDIRECT.EXT("'K:\CP\["&A4&".xls]Exam1'!$E$8")
>
> Cell A4 contains the string "test" and there is a file named
"test.xls"

> When I completed the sheet this all worked.
> When I closed it and opened it again all I get are #NAME? errors.
> If I go into each cell (and there are hundreds of them) and "pretend"
> edit the cell with the INDIRECT.EXT reference, then it works for that
cell.

> What have I done wrong?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
> Hi
> does hitting F9 helps to re-calculate the cells? (Could be that just
> the number of cells using this UDF is too much)

No, hitting F9 did not help. I deleted the rows and copied them back into
the sheet and it all "came back", so I'm okay now but I don't know why. :(

0
killspam (9)

Testing for ODBC names
Hi all I want to get a list of ODBC connections, and then pick one - the point is, that the connection I am looking for might be spelled differently (e.g. with space). So with a list I can find it eaily. Any suggestions? Sonnich The ODBC connections i a workbook are the queries you created. the appear in the workbook names. So you can search through the names. Youcan see the named in one of two palces 1) Insert Name define 2) File Property custom You can also find all the queries in a workbook and then look at the conenction property. for each sht in sheets for ...

need registration name and key for reinstall
I purchased Money 2007 Premium in August, 2006, via Digital River download and I also ordered a backup CD. Everything worked fine until my computer died. Now I am trying to install Money on a new computer using the same backup CD. But it pops up a window entitled "Key Expired". It appears that I need a "registration name and key", "exactly as given to you". Perhaps I did receive this information before but it would now be lost on my dead computer. Is there a way to retrieve the requisite magic cookies from someone's web site? And what credentials...

"Localhost" replacing my POP3 server name
I have set up my email account multiple times and every time I reboot my Incoming Mail Server (POP3) resets itself from the correct server name to "Localhost" and I can no longer receive email until I change it back. Has anyone experienced this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? In news:2be701c48ea0$c1892a40$a601280a@phx.gbl, Dillon <Dillon@printglobe.com> typed: > I have set up my email account multiple times and every > time I reboot my Incoming Mail Server (POP3) resets > itself from the correct server name to "Localhost" and I > can no longer ...

Name conflicts #2
Below email was posted before. I have lost the link that direct me to the add-in manager that can unhide hidden name. Can anyone advise me again. TQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I always encounter an error message when i copy a sheet from one workbook to another workbook. The error message is as below: ================ A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name '____123graph_A', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version...

named range scope...
i get confused... a named range can have: a global level (to the entire workbook), or a worksheet level (to the active worksheet), or a ... also, i've really looked, but can't find good information on how to define 1 level name vs. the other... (any direction on this ?) Mark, Just the two. A workbook name is created by just inserting a name in the Names box, such as myRange. A worksheet name is created by adding the sheet name to the name in the Names box, such as Sheet1!myRange. You can then also create Sheet2!myRange. You can only add a worksheet name if ...

Moving Exchange database to a new server while keeping the same server name
Ok, this part seems pretty straightforward: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822945 There's one catch in this environment. The old tech promoted the Exchange 2003 Server (running on Windows 2003 Server Standard) to a domain controller! And I of course don't want my new replacement Exchange server to be a DC. So my thoughts were, first of all, unplugging the existing Exchange Server. Then popping into ADSIEDIT, and removing its DC entries. I'm hoping this won't screw up the SID. Next, reset the computer account, join my new Exchange Server in w...

Find header name
I have 7 columns and under them my data, each column has their own data. Row 2 contains the header names of the underlying data. I'd to find, for instance, "metropol bus" on the sheet first and then header name resides on the second row on the same column "buses". How can I do this by vba ? Any hint or direction ? Hope this helps! If so, let me know, click "YES" below. Option Explicit Sub GetHeaderName() Dim HeadColumn As Long HeadColumn = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Find(What:="metropol bus", _ ...

You cannot open 2 docuements with the same name
This is a newly installed Windows XP - SP1 Home system with a new install of Office 97 w/ SP2. Every Microsoft Excel document that is opened gives a message: ========================================================================== msexcel a document with the name c:\...... is already open. You cannot open 2 docuements with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. to open the second document, either close the document that is currently open, or rename one of the documents. ========================================================================== This WS is stand al...

how to print reference label name in excel for comments?
I have chosen to print comments at the bottom of my spreadsheet the problems is it only gives the cell reference number. If I am looking at a printed version I would not know what cell it is refering to. I then labeled (reference) each cell but it still does not print out the name of the cell. How can I print out the label name oppose to $b$3$? Go to Print, Page Setup, Sheet, and select (under print), row and column headings. This will print out the headings just as you see them on your monitor. HTH Carole O "Needhelp" wrote: > I have chosen to print comments at the ...

why are some file names blue and some are black
I have a group of excel documents saved. For some reason, in the my documents folder, the file name has changed from black to blue ? Why is this ? I am using excel 2003. Is it possible that your IS department recently converted your network folder(s) to a compressed format for storage pace issues? On a network, Blue file names typically mean compressed files and Black file names are uncompressed. Hope this helps, Gary Brown "Trudy" wrote: > I have a group of excel documents saved. For some reason, in the my > documents folder, the file name has changed from...

Named Range across several worksheets
I need a named range for a cell on each of 12 (months) worksheets that applies to the selected sheet, for example Cash on the selected sheet. If I select all the sheets (group) and enter the range name, it is specific for the sheet entered, such as Jan.Cash. Is there away around entering named ranges that refer to each sheet without having to enter into each sheet individually? I did find that if I copy Jan and then rename the sheet, the range assumes the sheet name. This is fine for initial creation but not latter updating. Ed Ron, Thanks so much - works as advertised. I was in the p...

sellect and sort worksheets by name in excel
Chip Pearson's: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm David McRitchie's: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm#sortallsheets Saurabh goel wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Range names are displaying in big blue letters on sheet
Does anyone know how to turn off this display? It seems so basic, but I can't find it. The range names will appear if you set the zoom level below 40%. I don't know of any way to turn this feature off. Katie wrote: > Does anyone know how to turn off this display? > It seems so basic, but I can't find it. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Katie Are you sure it is range names and not page numbers? Try View>Normal Other than that, I'm at a loss without more detail. What do the range names look like other...

Outlook,can't print email addresses, because some ave only names
I would like to print my contact list, but some only have names. When I look in tools the email addresses are all there, but there is no print on the file menu. Thanks you Try to clarify your question. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "troubled" <troubled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1953782-968C-4F6D-9DEA-69B1D7776D82@microsoft.com... >I would like to print my contact list, but some only have names. When I >look > in tools the email addresses are all there, but there is no print on the > file > menu. Thanks you troubled <trouble...

Helper classes for dealing with XML Names
Does the .NET Framework have and helper classes that will help my code generate and/or validate XML Names or NCNames? From the spec: NCName::= (Letter | '_') (NCNameChar)* /* An XML Name, minus the ":" */ NCNameChar::= Letter | Digit | '.' | '-' | '_' | CombiningChar | Extender I want to strip out any offending characters and make sure my code only generates valid names. Thanks! -Steve Stephen Walch wrote: > Does the .NET Framework have and helper classes that will help my code > generate and/or validate XML Names or NCNa...

Counting yes/no fields with differrent names
Hello, I have a database that contains the following fields, some of which (all fields starting with Page_) are selected via check marks; ID, Date_Received, Site_Number, Subject_Number, Subject_Initials, Page_1, Page_2, Page_3, Page_4, Page_5, Page_6, Page_7, Page_8, Page_9, Page_10_A, Page_10_B, Page_10_C, Page_10_D, Page_10_E, Page_11_A, Page_11_B, Page_11_C, Page_11_D, Page_11_E, Page_12, Page_13_A, Page_13_B, Page_13_C, Page_13_D, Page_13_E My intentions are to provide a total page count for each subject. My problem is that I am not really sure on how to accomplish this. Any th...

When I create a new style in Publisher it doesn't show a name.
Publisher is very limited in the style and formatting section. Does anyone know how to create a new style that has a name? I tried renaming and it just ends up blank in the drop down box. If my mouse goes over the title it will show it then but otherwise it is blank. Are you certain you don't mean a template? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kris" <Kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26363C88-78DC-4167-9C26-9426F41A6F76@microsoft.com... > Publisher is very limited in the s...

name of all reports
I am using access 97 and how do I get all the names of report by macro or vb code? Thanks. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/200802/1 Here you go: SELECT MSysObjects.Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE MSysObjects.Type = -32764 ORDER BY MSysObjects.Name; As you found, you can't use the AllReports collection in Access 97. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "hakeem777 vi...

#Name? in a report
I have a report that was working in 2003 but since I've switched to 2007 I now get the #Name? In the report I do some calculating a GroupFooter0 in here I do the following cal. cctime1 = DSum("[Time1]", "[stagestats]", "[Time1] < 999 and class = '" & Class & "'") In the report section in the control Source I have =[cctime1] like I said this worked just fine in access 2003 but not I get #Name? Hopefully someone can tell me what's the difference between 2003 and 2007 that would cause this. Thanks for any help. ...

Delete labels/names in formulas
Hi. For example, I have named A1:A100 as Range_A Later I would like to delete this name. How to do? Thanks. -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP <Insert> <Name> <Define> Select the name, and hit <Delete> -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "0-0 Wai Wai ^-^" <x@x.com> wrote in message news:etocSehqFHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... Hi. For example, I hav...

Access Report Headings annual change name and location
Greetings from Sydney Australia. I have been prowling the internet looking for information to solve a problem I have with Access. I do have a background in dBase and have used it extensively. My wife is a member of Inner Wheel, a volunteer womens organisation and they have an annual conference every year. They have been given a management program using Access 2003. I have run the program under Access 2007 and it behaves quite differently, I suspect, due to additional security facilities. As all their other programs are integrated on their laptop they would prefer to persist with Office...

Excel 2007 slow saving with defined names
Hello, I am using a worksheet with a lot of defined names. Saving this sheet in Excel 2007 takes about 5 minutes! In previous Excel-versions the same worksheet saves within 10 seconds. Does anyone have an idea to improve this performance? Probably Windows Vista has something to do with this problem, because: - Windows XP and Excel 2007: fast saving - Windows Vista and Excel 2003: fast saving - Windows Vista and Excel 2007: slooooow saving Any ideas? Greeting RI ...

sheet names
What returns the name of a worksheet in a workbook if you are in the workbook. for instance: findit(1) gives the name of sheet 1. Thanks John "John" wrote: > What returns the name of a worksheet in a workbook > if you are in the workbook. > for instance: findit(1) gives the name of sheet 1. Try this technique, from a post by Harlan Click Insert > Name > Define Put under "Names in workbook:": WSN Put in the "Refers to:" box: =MID(CELL("Filename",INDIRECT("A1")),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",INDIRECT("A1...

Names & Addresses
Hi I have a list of names and addresses which are all listed in column on vertically but I need to change it to horizontally without having to retype all the names in again. Is this possible as I want to do a mailmerge and I can't this way Unless someone knows a way around it? Thanks heaps Samantha Highlight your list, right click > Copy Select a cell in an empty row, right click > Paste Special > check 'Transpose' > OK Regards, "Samantha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d7b701c45464$a5253b80$a301280a@phx.gbl... >...

Downloading from Vanguard
A weird thing started happening a couple of days ago. When downloading account transactions, all Vanguard account names were modified - the name of the fin. institution got pre-pended to the account names. For example my 'IRA - Vanguard' become 'Vanguard IRA -Vanguard'. Accounts at other institutions (investments and bank) stayed unchanged. This never happened in years of previous downloads. If I rename the accounts back, it does it again on the next download. Worse yet, if I leave the names changed, it makes the change again - after today's download the account nam...