=9/10 does not calculate --- did I change an option?

I am accustomed to calculating in a cell by typing "=" and then a
formula, such as 9/10 or 2+8, and having the result appear in the
cell. Now, the calculation does not happen, and it just puts the text
"=9/10" in the cell. I must have changed an option, but am not able to
find one that gets the old behavior back.

Any help on how I might restore calculation would be greatly
appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Jim

0
jkk251 (2)
7/20/2009 4:08:42 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The cell in which you entered the formula was formatted to TEXT prior to
your typing it in.

Just changing the format to General or Number is *not* good enough.
You have to re-register the formula after the format change.

Click in the cell after the format change,
hit <F2> (puts you in edit mode)
and hit <Enter>.

There is a setting that places the entire sheet in "formula view".

If this be the case:

<Tools> <Options> <View> tab,
and under "Window Options, *uncheck* <Formulas>.
--

HTH,

RD

"jkk251" <jkk251@gmail.com> wrote in message
I am accustomed to calculating in a cell by typing "=" and then a
formula, such as 9/10 or 2+8, and having the result appear in the
cell. Now, the calculation does not happen, and it just puts the text
"=9/10" in the cell. I must have changed an option, but am not able to
find one that gets the old behavior back.

Any help on how I might restore calculation would be greatly
appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Jim

0
ragdyer1 (4059)
7/20/2009 4:23:37 PM
It sounds like the cell may be formatted as Text

In xl2003 menus:
Select the cell(s)
Format|Cells|Number tab
choose General or number (or anything but Text)

Or you could be looking at formulas--instead of the results:
Tools|options|view tab|uncheck Formulas
(ctrl-` (ctrl-backquote, the key to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard)
is the shortcut key

--

Dave Peterson
0

How to number pages in Publisher at page 10 and not p 1 please
I wish to have ten un-numbered pages at the start of my publication with page 11 being page 1. Can I do this please? Go to page 11, Insert, Section, Check begin a section with this page, start at page one. Okay out. Insert page numbers. If you have a two page spread you may have to insert page number on both sides. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Barbara Eek" <Barbara Eek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:564175CF-3FAD-4E6E-A00A-0BA073012D74@microsoft.com... >I wish to have ten un-numbered pages at the start of my publication with page > 11 b...

Strange problem: changing customer for an order
We tried changing the customer for one of our existing order. Earlier it was created under account A. We opened this order and changed the account to Account B. Now, this order shows up under both account A and B. However, in the order form, the account being referred to is account B. How is this possible? Is there a way to delink the order from Account A completely? Note: the reason we did this was because the order was because account A was a sub account of B and we wanted to create orders under the parent account. If you created an Order that is linked to the Parent Account "A&q...

Autocomplete Data Validation Combo Box 01-09-10
I refer to the code in http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal11.html for auto-completion of data validation using a combo box. I would like to call up the combobox in a single click, instead of a double click as per the current code. Also, I am able to enter an invalid value (ie, value not from the data validation) list in the combo box. Is it possible to modify the code to 1. Call up the combobox in a single click 2. Prevent an invalid input, whether by direct entry or copy/paste (value or all) into the cell having the validation Thanks in advance ...

Excel calculate the z factor automatically
How do I Excel calculate the z factor automatically EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

sumproduct #9
OK, I have three rows of numbers, row A, B and C. Each row has three numbers a piece. Looks like this: A-> 10 20 30 B-> X X X C-> 40 50 60 I don't want to use row B in my calculation, so I X'd it out. Then I have a column of six numbers, column D. Looks like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 How can I use either sum or sumproduct or anything to get the numbers in A and C multiplied by column D? Final product should come out to 910. Thanks!! One way =SUM((A1:C1)*(TRANSPOSE(D1:D3)),(A3:C3)*(TRANSPOSE(D4:D6))) entered with ctrl + shift & enter -- Regards, Peo ...

Worksheet change item costs
We have a problem with the worksheet change item costs. If we only want to change the cost price from an item we use this worksheet. We put in several items in a worksheet to be transported to the stores by which some of the items new cost prices are not processed in the store. The cost price in the store of the item is not changed eventhough is says that the worksheet has been processed well. (We installed service pack 1.3 about 2 months ago, which should have fixed the problem) Does anyone else have the same experience and found the problem or solution??. Jeff2 Jeff2, Have you confi...

emails #9
Whenever I send or reply to an email an error message appears says outlook cannot find MS09.dll. It then wants to send an error report to Microsoft. I have tried reinstaling Office 2003, repairing it but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help please? Hi Brian, please read this, maybe it could solve your problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com: 80/support/kb/articles/Q241/8/17.ASP&NoWebContent=1 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de &qu...

How can I change the category (x) axis to logarithmic scale?
I am plotting a line chart where I need a semi-log graph. The log scale needs to be on the x-axis (category. How can I change the x-axis to a log scale? dhurley1951 - > I am plotting a line chart where I need a semi-log graph. The log scale > needs to be on the x-axis (category. How can I change the x-axis to a log > scale? < Use an XY (Scatter) chart type. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com The only x-axis that can have a log scale is a XY Scatter chart. If you create such a chart, then double-click the x-axis and from the Scale tab check the 'Log scale' op...

Changing Transfer Category
Money 2002 Basic. I cannot find a way to change transfer transactions back to simple payment types en mass. For example, a number of transfers to a credit card account from a bank account. Can this be done via find and replace? Thanks You might want to try that. "Roger" <hansonrj@surewest.net> wrote in message news:eheQ8eTqDHA.964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Money 2002 Basic. I cannot find a way to change transfer transactions back > to simple payment types en mass. For example, a number of transfers to a > credit card account from a bank account. Can this be done vi...

calculation
I have a spreadsheet B-N I want a formula that: in M: if value in C = 1001 sum values in N with the same reference in B. Some sort of sum if but the value in the same line as 1001 must not be included. this isnt clear enough for me to follow. :confused: something like: =if(c1=1001,SUM(N1:N10), -- lsu-i-lik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lsu-i-like's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1431 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27147 From my understanding you may be looking...

Crystal Reports 9 In An MFC App
I know this is half off topic but the only people I could ask is fellow MFC developers... please forgive me if you're the type that takes offense to off-topic posts. (unfortunately there's only a VB CR newsgroup) Anybody out there know how to integrate Crystal Reports 9 viewer into an MFC app (Visual C++ 6)? I tried inserting the CR9 viewer Active X control onto a dialog box and associated a member control variable with it (which kicks off dev studio to build a wrapper class for the expected active x control etc.). I load a report file (using a seperate report object available if y...

Change Source of Links
Dear experts: I use publisher 2000 to generate reports for my company. We use same format for each report and I keep the frame and format of the report in Publisher. I made link with excel file where I can easily do my calculation. The problem is each report comes up with new excel file, I mean different excel file name. I have to change source of link. I tried to use the "Edit - Link - Change Source" funtion. It only allows me to change file name (i.e. 2003 summary report.xls!Sheet 1!R1C1:R100C50 => 2003 SUMMART REPORT (3).XLS) but not allow me to set range in that specific...

Upgrading GP 7.0 to 9.0
Hi everyone, Can anyone guide on how to upgrade from Great Plains 7.0 to Dynmaics 9.0 ? Thank you very much Ajay There's no direct path from 7.0 to 9.0 so you'll first need to upgrade to 7.5 or 8.0. You'll want to look at the upgrade guides for those versions for specifics. I started this job the day the company upgraded from 7.0 to 9.0. They chose to do the 7.0 to 7.5 to 9.0 path but that may no longer be the best option since support for 7.5 has been discontinued. There are comprehensive upgrade guides available on customer source that should give you all the infor...

Change Regarding Field
Quite often an e-mail thread has been started before a problem in promoted to a case. Because the regarding file is closed in existing e-mails I cannot link them to the case. Any way to change the regarding field or create a copy of the e-mail with an open regarding field? ...

GP 9.0 #2
Currently on GP 7.5 sp5 on SQL Server 2000 Can anyone tell me how to order GP 9.0 ?? Want to get our environment upgraded by the end of the year and I cannot find anywhere on the Customer site on how to order it.. ????? You should have received it from your Partner. Contact Them, they should have it. "itsonlyme4" wrote: > Currently on GP 7.5 sp5 on SQL Server 2000 > > Can anyone tell me how to order GP 9.0 ?? Want to get our environment > upgraded by the end of the year and I cannot find anywhere on the Customer > site on how to order it.. ????? The so...

runtime error 9
We are running a single lane RMS on an XP Pro SP3. Occassionally during a tender, we will receive the error message "runtime error '9'" subscript out of range This usually occurs when we tender out. At this point, we can exit the application and restart, but the problem will reoccur less frequently if we reboot the machine - obviously a hinderance during the day. Any ideas on what might be the cause? Thank you. Ron This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0095_01CAA66C.B68EC890 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-...

Conditional Combo Box 03-11-10
One last question for the day! I am trying to create conditional combo boxes for the first time and I think I have the basics but something in the execution went wrong. I currently have two columns DeviceID and Portname. The idea is that when you select the device ID, it will fill the portname combo with available ports on that device. We do have a table where we are inputting both device name and portname. DeviceID is importing the deviceID numbers from the Device table (where we are obviously inputting the devices and other information about the devices). Here is the setu...

Archive change for outlook 2007
Hi In the old outlook I had an archive button in my toolbar where i could manually archive items and search through the the archive folder for older items. In the newer version that button has disapeared and I am having real issues with my archiving. Is there a way to get this button back or is this option not in the new version? -- Thanks Ruth You mean AutoArchive? It's still in the same location; Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button AutoArchive... The manual archive method can also be found in the same location; File-> Archive... -- Robert Spa...

Project 2007 03-11-10
Scenario Project s scheduled from the start date Project Start date is 1/19/10 Status date is set as 12/20/09 Now if we change the Status date to "NA" the tasks duration as well as the start and finish date changes. I want to change the Status date to "NA" without affecting duration or sart/finish dates of the tasks The only fields impacted by the Status Date change should be timephased reporting fields like Earned Value or custom calculated fields. A couple of questions to help troubleshoot: 1) Are you sure the default Duration field is changing,...

Licensing #9
Good morning all. I had a quesiton concerning licensing with Exchange 2003 that you may be able to help with. I see that there are CALs available, but I read on the Microsoft site that there was an edition that allows you to have unlimited access for external users. That being the case couldn't you just call everyone an external user and run that way? Thanks for your answers, Marcus Finch On 13 Oct 2006 05:55:30 -0700, "Marcus Finch" <matthew_bussinger@yahoo.com> wrote: >Good morning all. I had a quesiton concerning licensing with Exchange >2003 that you may be...

change background color of row until condition is met
I have 2 columns, status and order. If the status is "T", then the whole row for that work order should have a yellow background. next time the order is entered and its status is still "T", that row should be yellow too until the status for the order becomes "C" when it bcomes "C", all the yellow rows should be back to default A B ORDER STATUS 1 T 2 C 1 T 1 C So the first and third rows should be yellow, but when i enter the fourth row and enter "C" for...

Customize Form 06-10-04
I see that we can customize a lot of form, exemple case, contact etc. My question is can we customize the form used for the activity, task opointement and so on. If someone know about this, please let me know. No, sorry, not in current version "David Michaud" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1aa0701c44f32$e73ed3f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I see that we can customize a lot of form, exemple case, > contact etc. > > My question is can we customize the form used for the > activity, task opointement and so on. > > If someone know...

Dates changed on Copy Cell
I am now using Excel 2007 and keep finding that the year in the date is changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet. I start with 9/12/2008 17:00 (formated as a custom format) and it is copied in as 10/12/2012 17:00 (same format). Can anyone help? Thanks Jim > changed when I copy from one cell to another in another spreadsheet. I assume that you mean Workbook not Worksheet in the same Workbook. You have the second Workbook set to the 1904 date system. -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinato...

system requirements for GP 10
I am not able to locate a comprehensive system requirement sheet for gp 10. Any help would be appriciated. Try the information at this URL http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/gp/using/10systemrequirements.mspx -- Charles Allen, MVP "2020" wrote: > I am not able to locate a comprehensive system requirement sheet for gp 10. > Any help would be appriciated. > > Is SQL 2008 and Server 2008 supported yet? We have software assurance so we will be receiving it shortly. Thanks "Charles Allen" wrote: > Try the information at this URL > > htt...

Hyperlinks #10
I have a 9 page site created with Publisher. I saved it as an html file and when I open it, all the links work fine. However, I've uploaded it and none of the links on page 1 work. Of course, i can't get to page 2 to see if any of those work. What to do? Thanks for any help. What to do? Post your url so someone can see what the problem might be. A stab in the dark is that Pub is turning your text into one large graphic. Mike frazzeled wrote: > I have a 9 page site created with Publisher. I saved it as an html file and > when I open it, all the links work fine. Ho...