+A2 results in zero???

I generated a spreadsheet with QuickBooks to look at a Budget.  I mention
this only for context.

I'm changing the spreadsheet manually and have come onto something I don't
understand:

There is a column of numbers let us say in column A.
In A10 there is a number.
In A21 there is a number.
In A54 there is =A10+A21 which results in a number.

I want to put B90=+A54.... well I type +A54 in B90 and I guess that's the
result ... or is it simply =A54?? no matter.

When I do this, the result is zero in B90!
When I put the same formula in quite a few other cells I get the same
result.

I want this strangeness to go away.  I'm looking for ideas that would help.

Thanks,

Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)
1/19/2005 5:23:32 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Fred,
I will make an assumption here because you have not made it clear in your
defining of the problem.   That assumption is that I am assuming that you
want B90 to be the same value as A54, if this is the case then the formula
should simply be =A54.
If however you are trying to add the value of A54 to the value of B90 then
that becomes quite another problem and would depend on what is in B90 in the
first place and where that comes from, i.e.. is it a fixed value or is it a
formula.
Regards
Rob

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> I generated a spreadsheet with QuickBooks to look at a Budget.  I mention
> this only for context.
>
> I'm changing the spreadsheet manually and have come onto something I don't
> understand:
>
> There is a column of numbers let us say in column A.
> In A10 there is a number.
> In A21 there is a number.
> In A54 there is =A10+A21 which results in a number.
>
> I want to put B90=+A54.... well I type +A54 in B90 and I guess that's the
> result ... or is it simply =A54?? no matter.
>
> When I do this, the result is zero in B90!
> When I put the same formula in quite a few other cells I get the same
> result.
>
> I want this strangeness to go away.  I'm looking for ideas that would
help.

> Thanks,
>
> Fred

0
mbamc (6)
1/20/2005 3:13:29 AM
Hi Fred,
 I just want to add onto what Rob writes,
If u are trying to use B90=+A54, it has to work the right
way and should not result in 0 unless A54 itself is 0;
The characters that u should be entering in B90 should be
=A54 or =+A54. It WILL NOT give zero.

Thanks,
harsha

0
harsha22 (5)
1/20/2005 10:41:14 AM
Hi Fred,

It's strange the result is zero.
I just guess will it be the problem of format.

You can check if the format is in thousand (in custom it shows 0, ) and if
your result is less than 500, it will show 0.

Regards
Eling

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> ���g��l��s�D:e4Fgcuk$EHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I generated a spreadsheet with QuickBooks to look at a Budget.  I mention
>this only for context.
>
> I'm changing the spreadsheet manually and have come onto something I don't
> understand:
>
> There is a column of numbers let us say in column A.
> In A10 there is a number.
> In A21 there is a number.
> In A54 there is =A10+A21 which results in a number.
>
> I want to put B90=+A54.... well I type +A54 in B90 and I guess that's the
> result ... or is it simply =A54?? no matter.
>
> When I do this, the result is zero in B90!
> When I put the same formula in quite a few other cells I get the same
> result.
>
> I want this strangeness to go away.  I'm looking for ideas that would
> help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

0
elingtse (24)

091202 M3i Zero , Ezflash Dsi , R4i Dsi 96004
Consigue tu M3i Zero , Ezflash Dsi , R4i Dsi M3i Zero www.R4spain.com/tienda Puedes comprar M3i Zero , Ezflash Dsi , R4i Dsi op_xKR?aS!VVJfl=@dU*nh.rS ...

removing dbo. from xml results
Hi, I am using SQXML3.0 SP2 with some code like this - using(SqlConnection sqlCon=new SqlConnection(G2P2DataObject.GetLocalDBConnectionString())) { sqlCon.Open(); SqlXmlCommand sqlCom=new SqlXmlCommand("MYCONNSTRING"); sqlCom.RootTag="myevents"; sqlCom.CommandType=SqlXmlCommandType.Sql; sqlCom.CommandText="EXECUTE MonthView"; XmlReader xmlReader=sqlCom.ExecuteXmlReader(); xmlDoc.Load(xmlReader); xmlReader.Close(); sqlCon.Close(); } My resulting xmlDoc contains - <myevents> - <dbo.Event EventID="B61C37EA-20E0-4EDE-8A58-0029D8691...

Search/Match between 2 x separate Worksheets and populate result in third worksheet
I have 2 x databases that i have copied as a text file and pasted into two separate worksheets in the one workbook. The first worksheet of data has come from a new database which lists all current jobs and quotes for supervisors. The second worksheet of data has come from the financial database which list all current jobs and all old jobs. I wish to produce a search/find which will populate the third worksheet with only current jobs (not old jobs and not quotes), which will also bring all of the finacial data listed in the same row of each successfull match. The first worksheet contains a ...

Looking for data in 1 worksheet & copying the results into another
Hi, Using Excel 2002. What I have I have a workbook (Inventory) with the following data in it.. Username first name, last name, Department, Division, Computer make, Compute Model, etc. in addition to various hardware and software inventories o the computer associated with a particular user. I have created worksheets for each Department in the 'Inventory worksheet (e,g Finance) What I want to do: e.g .Use a macro, formula etc. to look at column 'F' in the 'inventory worksheet and copy the entire row of any field that is = to 'Finance' into the Finance worksheet, HR i...

Leading Zeros #4
Imported names and address from a mailing house. All zips had leading zeroes before the import. Now they all appear without. Attempted to format the cell and find and replace. Nothing seems to bring back the leading zeros. Any suggestions? I would format the column as text, so that reentries will be as text, and then run the macro FIXUSZIP5 http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm#fixuszip5 If you format as a number the zipcodes will not sort properly if you have both 5 digit and 9 digit zip codes, Even if the 9 digit zip codes really are numbers which isn't very likely. ...

sort numbers leading zeros
I am having trouble sorting a column of id numbers because some of them contain leading zeroes. Excel doesn't recognize that no matter how I format the cells. Help! LS Are all your id numbers numeric (no alpha characters in them at all)? If you put: =counta(A2:Axxx) in an empty cell and =count(a2:axxx) (adjust the range to match your data) Do you get the same answer? If no, then some of the values are stored as text and some(?) are stored as numbers. You can convert them all to numbers by: selecting an empty cell copy it select your range of id's edit|Paste special|Add Form...

Zero Values in a Pie Chart
Hi I currently have some data as shown below: Item 1 0 Item 2 3 Item 3 6 Item 4 5 Item 5 0 Item 6 9 How can I exclude the zero items automatically, the data shown below is going to change regulary and i do not want to have to keep change the source data manually. D You can use AutoFilter to hide the rows with 0s as Chart does not display data that's hidden. HTH "DMc2005" wrote: > Hi > > I currently have some data as shown below: > > Item 1 0 > Item 2 3 > Item 3 6 > Item 4 5 > Item 5 0 > Item...

macro to delete rows with zero value
Hello, I need some help in writing a macro to look at a column of values and when it gets to a cell with zero value I want to delete all rows from there down. The data will be sorted in decending order so all rows after the first row that has a zero value will also have zero value. For example, with the data below: I want to look at column D (which would have various numbers of rows) and once there is a value of zero as in row 5, I want all rows from row 5 to the end deleted. A B C D 1 5000111017 510100 1000.000 2 5000111017 510100 2030.000 3 5000111017 510100 1200.000 4 5000...

How to make result of query like text box?
I have a query that returns one value. I want this to take as small a space on the form as possible. How to put it on a form without the scroll bars and all that stuff I do not need? On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:12:16 GMT, tom wrote: > I have a query that returns one value. I want this to take > as small a space on the form as possible. How to put > it on a form without the scroll bars and all that stuff > I do not need? The query returns just one value? Using an Unbound text control on the form: =DLookUp("[FieldName]","QueryName") -- Fred Please respond o...

making leading zero's visible #2
This may be a question more directed to Excel, but I'm using PHP to generate a CSV to be imported into Excel, so maybe the solution is there. So, sorry for crossposting. Anyway, I'm generating a text file, a CSV, that contains addresses from a database. Zip codes that have a leading zero (eg: 01234) has that 0 in the database, and it appears to have it when it's being inserted and written to the text file, but when you view it in Excel it goes away. When I'm creating the string that becomes the CSV file, I surround the zipcode with doublequotes so it's supposed to go into...

Field Populates in Form, Not in Table (Was "Leading Zeros Lost in Concatenation")
I think I'm closer. I confess to being a newbie when it comes to using functions in Access, but I finally got my form to look as desired by putting the following in my Control Source for the field: =Format([Figure Identifier],"0000000" & [Description] & ".eps"). So far, so good. http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/5304419/controlsource.jpg.html The table tied to the form was imported in Access from Excel, and the form was then built on the table. Within the table, however, this field is not populating when adding new records. Only the initial row, which was populat...

hiding zero values in stacked bar charts
On a stacked bar chart with values displayed (data label is set to value), I do not want to display the value if its zero (no slice of data). Is there a way to do this? When I have approached different Excel users with this problem, they said they go back to the spreadsheet and delete the zero's so they do not show up on the chart. I have a lot of entries and frequently use the spreadsheet so I want to avoid having to manually delete the zeros for display purposes. Thank you. Hi, To get rid of zero data labels try using a custom number format General;General;; Cheers Andy WSU C...

Calculation based on results of 2 expressions
I have a field called Reoffense Counter and a field called Counter, where Counter is the total count of all the records, and Reoffense Counter is the total of only those records where a new offense has taken place. Each of these fields contains a "1" where appropriate, so they can be counted. I want to find out what percentage of the records contain a Reoffense, so I think I would want to divide Reoffense Counter by Counter. I haven't been able to come up with the correct expression to use in my report. Can you help? In this query use your table and field name...

currency addition results inaccurate
Please help, I'm trying to add currencies that were the result of hours multiplied by rate but the sum is not comimg out quite accurate. Eg: hour rate total 8:10 $7.50 $61.25 8:45 $7.50 $65.63 4:05 $7.50 $30.63 7:25 $7.50 $55.63 10:09 $7.50 $76.13 2:58 $7.50 $22.25 7:25 $7.50 $55.63 10:09 $7.50 $76.13 2:58 $7.50 $22.25 $465.50 function for hour :=+(C4-B4)-D4 (which is the result of previous calculation not shown) no function for rate cells - just number put into cell function used for...

Quotes - Financial Results
Not sure if this is a place to report this, but the historical (average) P/E's on the Financial Results - Key Ratios page shows the P/E's with a mistaken shift in the decimal point. see http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/compare.asp?Page=TenYearSummary&Symbol=bcs# where Barclay's Bank is showing average P/E's for the last 10 years of 158 to 228, which I think should be 15.8 to 22.8 instead. It seems to only be wrong for ADRs. You can "report" it here, but nobody here can do anything about it. Some might find it useful information, thou...

Max query results
Table is Communion fldCommunionID autonumber fldCommunionDate date fldCommunicant number relaated to tblSouls fldSoulID I would like a query to show the groupby communicant and then select each communicants max date and update that communionDate to a fldLastCommuned in the tablequerySouls Extended would this work best as a mudular VBA code I am not to good at doing VBA code yet Thanks in advance to ALL who help me out on this On Jan 30, 3:08=A0pm, MaRSMAN <MaRS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Table is Communion > fldCommunionID =A0autonumber &...

referencing a cell in a sheet where the sheet name is a result
My workbook has sheets named for each day of the month, (March 1, March 2...). On March 2, I'd like to reference a cell on March 1 (and March 3 would reference March 2, etc. so I need a formula that will reference "DAY - 1" so that I can copy it to subsequent pages and they will reference the cell in the prior day's spreadsheet). I can create the text "March 1" in a cell in March 2, but how do I use that in a formula to reference the correct cell. Thanks! Tim Try: =INDIRECT("'March "&RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),2)-1&"&#...

CurrentPrincipal for Thread seems to give wrong result
Hello! If I run the code below I get the following result Name: IsAuthenticated: False AuthenticationType: So I thought I would get the name I used when logging in to the computer and that IsAuthenticated should be true because the computer should Authenticate me when I logging into the computer. Thread t = Thread.CurrentThread; System.Security.Principal.IPrincipal threadPrincipal = Thread.CurrentPrincipal; Console.WriteLine("Name: {0}\nIsAuthenticated: {1}" + "\nAuthenticationType: {2}", threadPrincipal.Id...

Two table query not giving expected result
I have two tables, contacts and companies, which are related by the companyID. The value in the contacts tables is a result from the input form where for avery contact one can choose the company using a combobox. Now I would like to populate a list box using a query which as input uses either the name (first or last) form one table or the company name from the second table. (lets assume that in the contacts table a lot of names are the same and that in the company table every record is unique) I use the following query to limit the output to the selected values: SELECT Contacts.ContactID,Cont...

Restore Result Of Cell Link After Every Time Run Formula
PHP code ------------------- RESTORE RESULT OF CELL LINK AFTER EVERY TIME RUN FORMULA IN COLUMN RESULT WITHOUT CHANGE OF BEFOR RESULT ------------------- FOR EXAMPLE : I WANT RESTORE RESULT OF : A1 CELL IS INPUT CELL NUMBER AND B1:B10 IS (LINK TO A1) COLUMN FOR EVERY TIME CHANGE A1 CONTEN BUT I WANT FILL B1:B10 AFTER TEN TIMES CHANGE A1 CONTENT IN THE OTHE WORD: EXAMPLE : A1 IS CONTENT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 AND RESULT IN B1:B10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 AFTER ANY TIME CLICK NE TYPE IN A +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: EXCEL HELP ...

Display leading zeros
I extract some data from a POS and create a .csv file. One field is an item number which can have 1 or multiple leading zeros (from the barcode). The ..csv file shows the leading zeros correctly when I load it into a text editor but when I load it into Excel (2003) the leading zeros are not displayed. However, because I need to load the Excel into Quickbooks I need to retain the leading zeros. I checked the options and also the help file but did not find anything I could do to show the leading zeros in Excel. Any comment/help is greatly appreciated. Hi Gerd, I suppose the number o...

What is a zero-length field?
Hi, I have read many posts, and have tried looking up what exactly a zero-length field is, but am just being a little dumb. It seems all the posts regarding a zero-length problem are from people who already "get it." I keep seeing that a zero-length field = " " Does that mean a zero-length field is a space? I've read Allen Browne really well-written explanation on the difference between a zls and a null, but am just confused on how a zls is displayed. I realize I wouldn't be able to "see" a space - is that built into the design of the table? I&...

Message size becomes zero.
Hi everyone, I need some help with Exchange 2000. We have recently (September 12) moved our Exchange 2000 server from one machine to another. The problem is that all stored messages appears as zero sized when using Outlook "size" column view. Newer messages size appear OK. I have realized that creating a new folder on the mailbox and moving the old messages to it, restores the size information for those messages. But I imagine there should be a procedure to process all mailboxes at once. The other thing I have tried was applying "attrib -a /s" command to all messages fr...

When "IF" gives result of zero
In Excel 2000 on a UK keyboard, """" will check for, or leave, a cell blank. Having used the "IF" function I want to leave the the result cell displaying a blank . How can I get the same result with Excel 2007? It works the same in 2007. What are you getting? HTH Bob "drus" <drus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B0C9262-6716-4D04-9379-90528C87F28F@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000 on a UK keyboard, """" will check for, or leave, a cell > blank. > Having used the "IF" functi...

Outlook 2007 Instant Search
Sorry for the repost, I posted in the wrong area. I was hoping to get some clarification on this issue. We are running Outlook 2007 on Windows XP SP3. When we moved from Outlook 2003 to 2007 we noticed a change in how Outlook searches for email. We are also using cache mode now as well with 2007, not with 2003. Basically, you can’t use wildcards in Windows Search, and any search acts as if there is a “*” wildcard at the right edge of the search term, but not at the left edge. For example, , searching for “vand” will bring up emails with “Dave Vandertie” in the “From:” field, ...