VLOOKUP not working with data from PeopleSoft

I have data which has come from PeopleSoft.  One file is a list of current 
employees (about 4,500 rows) including a unique ID and I am looking up their 
date of birth in another file which is list of all employees, past and 
present (just over 7,000 rows).  For some reason the vlookup is not returning 
any data and is just showing the formula in the cell.  I feel the problem is 
something in the format of the data coming from PeopleSoft but can't think of 
anything else to try.  I use vlookup heaps so don't think there is anything 
wrong with the formula.

I have checked that the employee IDs are numbers, not text and that there 
are no leading or trailing spaces.
I have checked that the DOB is a date format.
I tried copying the data from the all employees file into a sheet in the 
current employees file and doing the lookup from there.
I tried naming the lookup range.
I tried sorting by ID even though I don't need to as it's exact match.

Data in the files looks something like:

ID        Name          DOB
10001  Jones,Fred   
10005  Smith,John

and in the "all employees" list, the DOB uses the first  date format 
(*dd/mm/yyyy).

Formula reads:  =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet4!$A$1:$B$7291,2,false)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
-- 
Celia from sunny Australia
0
Utf
4/6/2010 1:42:01 AM
excel.worksheet.functions 4936 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1007 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

If your problem is it "is just showing the formula in the cell", then your 
cell is formatted as text.

Format it as General, and re-enter your formula.

It should work then.

Regards,
Fred

"Celia" <eastman.port@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:B21109C8-F2C4-43AB-875B-135F79A4C044@microsoft.com...
>I have data which has come from PeopleSoft.  One file is a list of current
> employees (about 4,500 rows) including a unique ID and I am looking up 
> their
> date of birth in another file which is list of all employees, past and
> present (just over 7,000 rows).  For some reason the vlookup is not 
> returning
> any data and is just showing the formula in the cell.  I feel the problem 
> is
> something in the format of the data coming from PeopleSoft but can't think 
> of
> anything else to try.  I use vlookup heaps so don't think there is 
> anything
> wrong with the formula.
>
> I have checked that the employee IDs are numbers, not text and that there
> are no leading or trailing spaces.
> I have checked that the DOB is a date format.
> I tried copying the data from the all employees file into a sheet in the
> current employees file and doing the lookup from there.
> I tried naming the lookup range.
> I tried sorting by ID even though I don't need to as it's exact match.
>
> Data in the files looks something like:
>
> ID        Name          DOB
> 10001  Jones,Fred
> 10005  Smith,John
>
> and in the "all employees" list, the DOB uses the first  date format
> (*dd/mm/yyyy).
>
> Formula reads:  =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet4!$A$1:$B$7291,2,false)
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!
> -- 
> Celia from sunny Australia 

0
Fred
4/6/2010 2:19:28 AM
Fred, many thanks - that worked fine.   I think I might have tried 
reformatting the cell previously (I tried so many things I can't remember 
them all !!) but the trick (as you mention) is to re-enter the formula 
because it doesn't "fix" automatically with the reformatting. 

Have a great day.
-- 
Celia


"Fred Smith" wrote:

> If your problem is it "is just showing the formula in the cell", then your 
> cell is formatted as text.
> 
> Format it as General, and re-enter your formula.
> 
> It should work then.
> 
> Regards,
> Fred
> 
> "Celia" <eastman.port@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:B21109C8-F2C4-43AB-875B-135F79A4C044@microsoft.com...
> >I have data which has come from PeopleSoft.  One file is a list of current
> > employees (about 4,500 rows) including a unique ID and I am looking up 
> > their
> > date of birth in another file which is list of all employees, past and
> > present (just over 7,000 rows).  For some reason the vlookup is not 
> > returning
> > any data and is just showing the formula in the cell.  I feel the problem 
> > is
> > something in the format of the data coming from PeopleSoft but can't think 
> > of
> > anything else to try.  I use vlookup heaps so don't think there is 
> > anything
> > wrong with the formula.
> >
> > I have checked that the employee IDs are numbers, not text and that there
> > are no leading or trailing spaces.
> > I have checked that the DOB is a date format.
> > I tried copying the data from the all employees file into a sheet in the
> > current employees file and doing the lookup from there.
> > I tried naming the lookup range.
> > I tried sorting by ID even though I don't need to as it's exact match.
> >
> > Data in the files looks something like:
> >
> > ID        Name          DOB
> > 10001  Jones,Fred
> > 10005  Smith,John
> >
> > and in the "all employees" list, the DOB uses the first  date format
> > (*dd/mm/yyyy).
> >
> > Formula reads:  =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet4!$A$1:$B$7291,2,false)
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated!
> > -- 
> > Celia from sunny Australia 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
4/6/2010 3:04:01 AM
Tip...

Re-enter doesn't necessarily mean retype.

Change the format to General then, with the cell still selected, either 
double click in the cell then hit Enter or, hit function key F2 then hit 
Enter.

-- 
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP


"Celia" <eastman.port@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:F6AA93E0-DA84-4EDF-9ADC-B04AFA90018F@microsoft.com...
> Fred, many thanks - that worked fine.   I think I might have tried
> reformatting the cell previously (I tried so many things I can't remember
> them all !!) but the trick (as you mention) is to re-enter the formula
> because it doesn't "fix" automatically with the reformatting.
>
> Have a great day.
> -- 
> Celia
>
>
> "Fred Smith" wrote:
>
>> If your problem is it "is just showing the formula in the cell", then 
>> your
>> cell is formatted as text.
>>
>> Format it as General, and re-enter your formula.
>>
>> It should work then.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fred
>>
>> "Celia" <eastman.port@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:B21109C8-F2C4-43AB-875B-135F79A4C044@microsoft.com...
>> >I have data which has come from PeopleSoft.  One file is a list of 
>> >current
>> > employees (about 4,500 rows) including a unique ID and I am looking up
>> > their
>> > date of birth in another file which is list of all employees, past and
>> > present (just over 7,000 rows).  For some reason the vlookup is not
>> > returning
>> > any data and is just showing the formula in the cell.  I feel the 
>> > problem
>> > is
>> > something in the format of the data coming from PeopleSoft but can't 
>> > think
>> > of
>> > anything else to try.  I use vlookup heaps so don't think there is
>> > anything
>> > wrong with the formula.
>> >
>> > I have checked that the employee IDs are numbers, not text and that 
>> > there
>> > are no leading or trailing spaces.
>> > I have checked that the DOB is a date format.
>> > I tried copying the data from the all employees file into a sheet in 
>> > the
>> > current employees file and doing the lookup from there.
>> > I tried naming the lookup range.
>> > I tried sorting by ID even though I don't need to as it's exact match.
>> >
>> > Data in the files looks something like:
>> >
>> > ID        Name          DOB
>> > 10001  Jones,Fred
>> > 10005  Smith,John
>> >
>> > and in the "all employees" list, the DOB uses the first  date format
>> > (*dd/mm/yyyy).
>> >
>> > Formula reads:  =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet4!$A$1:$B$7291,2,false)
>> >
>> > Any help will be greatly appreciated!
>> > -- 
>> > Celia from sunny Australia
>>
>> .
>> 


0
T
4/6/2010 3:30:54 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

This Formula does not work....
I'm trying to Count the amount of 'R' appearing in column D. Tried this formula below but no joy. =SUM($D$1:$D$249="R") Also tried =SUM($D$1:$D$49=J16) where J!^ contains letter R but still no joy. -- Many Thanks Gunjani Under the bed is not a good place to save snowballs for summer. =COUNTIF($D$1:$D$249="R") =COUNTIF($D$1:$D$249=J16) "Gunjani" <yunus786DELETETHIS@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1b02e1d1663db0a69896b8@news.btinternet.com... > I'm trying to Count the amount of 'R' appear...

Creating macro to lookup data
I have a large spreadsheet (some 25000 lines) with headings includin make, model & price. I use this as a lookup table to value othe lists. If I have a list of say 100 items I lookup each item using autofilte and extract from the data table the number of items, the max. price min. price and average. I am looking for a way to do this automaticall by using a macro I know this is a complicated one, can anyone help -- trye ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tryer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1654 View this ...

Looking up data within a collumn
Hi, I am trying to look up data within a column by using a unique data within that same column. For Example, the data will be listed as shown: Column A Name1 Phone1 Address1 Name2 Phone2 Address2 Now I want to be able to just type a name in Collumn D, and have the phone number print out in Column C, and the address in Collumn E. Is there a way to do that? Column A won't be large, under 200, so load time is not a big concern. -- Demitre ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Demitre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

ms office stopped working
about 30 secs after starting ms office outlook 2003 on vista i get a message: A problem caused the pgm to stop working correctly. Windows will close pgm and notify you if a solution is available. I have have to close the pgm but get no solution. Can anyone help? -- rpwater Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com This group discusses the Windows Mail application, repost to one of the Outlook groups. -- -- "rpwater" <rpwater.45t98c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message news:rpwater.45t98c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com... > > about 30 s...

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

2003 video e-mail not working right
Have office2003 and installed video e-mail for outlook. I can record and send the video e-mail to myself or another user on my computer. when I go to open It all there is showing is the little square box and it will not play the video...What is wrong?? Using ie 7 ...

Restoring data to Exchange
Hello, We are trying to restore our exchange data after doing a successful Active Directory domain rename. Since Exchange is on a domain controller, we were forced to remove it to complete the domain rename. So, we used ntbackup to backup all of the data. Now, we are trying to restore the data, but we get the following message: <!-- Begin Message --> Unable to restore Exchange data to HHNSRVR\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group, check the application event log for more information <!-- End Message --> As it says, we looked in the event log and found this: <!-- B...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Working with a range
Can someone suggest visual basic code for a macro to check for the occurance of a single digit (1-9) in a range such as A1:C3. Each cell in the range must contain a digit once, ie. no repeats, and no blanks. Dan Have a look in VBA help for Find,then findnext -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Dan Chupinsky" <dchupinsky@twmi.rr.com> wrote in message news:iwKxe.43548$7X1.28928@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com... > Can someone suggest visual basic code for a macro to check for the occurance > of a single digit (1-9) in a range such as A1:C3. Each cell in the r...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Link to File is not working. EMBEDs are displayed as icons.
I'm trying to create links to image files (.EMF .JPG .WMF) in Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007. Instead of getting a LINK, I get an EMBED Package. Open a blank Word 2007 doc / Insert tab / on Text panel click Object button / Create from File tab / Browse... to the file / turn on "Link to file" / click OK. Depending on the image file type, I either get an icon and filename, or just the filename. Pressing Alt-F9 shows that it got inserted as an "EMBED Package", not a "LINK". If I perform the same steps to link to a Word or Excel ...

Calculation not working
I have entered a RIGHT function, when i go to Insert, Function command and do RIGHT(G3,2), calculation shows up correctly in function box, but does not calculate in cell itself. Still displays command RIGHT(G3,2) What am I doing incorrectly? Have checked Tools, Options, Calculation, and Automatic is checked. Thanks in advance for your co-operation. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200602/1 Did you actually start the formula with an equal sign: =right(g3,2) If you did, try formatting the cell as General. Then select the cell, hit F2 an...

VLOOKUP in VBA
On the worksheet I can insert in a cell =VLOOKUP(C5, Hobokee.xls!AcsLow, 2) and it works perfectly, looks up the value in column 2 of the range named AcsLow in the same workbook. But elswhere I want in a macro to lookup the same table and assign the result to a variable BalAmt. BalAmt = VLOOKUP(AccNum, Hobokee.xls!AcsLow, 2) does not work. It gives a function not defined error on Hobokee. If instead of Hobokee I put Workbooks("Hobokee"), it gives function not defined error for VLOOKUP which it changes to VLookup. I have been overVLOOKUP in the Help file and see nothing wrong. W...

2007 search not working with Vista with new profile
It stopped working after I deleted my mail profile and started from scratch again. Who would have guessed doing that would break the search feature? I thought maybe it was indexing, but this is even after indexing has finished. Take any word from any subject line in any message and put that same word into the search box and it doesn't find the message. Using Vista with Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003. Also the desktop search no longer looks inside my emails. Any ideas? Is there a cheat to make Outlook 2007 use the old simple search feature we love/hate from Outlook 2003 and befor...

How to work with a list
Hi, I try to test a list of databases nothing in liste.out Can you help me ? Dim fso, infile, aNames, sBase, shell set fso = createobject("scripting.filesystemobject") set infile = fso.opentextfile("liste.txt",1) Set shell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") aNames = Split(infile.readall, vbnewline) infile.close for each sBase in aNames wsh.echo "Base:", sBase shell.Run "tnsping sBase >> liste.out" Next "bob123" <bob123@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4c3d7e10$0$10071$426a74cc@news...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

CRM on Office 2003
Hi everyone, Currently MS CRM is not supported on Outlook 2003. After installing the software and starting Outlook you get an error "Microsoft CRM folders cannot be installed". I found that every time I close and open Outlook (after saying no to not disable the add-in), 1 more folder is added to the Microsoft CRM Folders. I did this about 13 times and it added all the folders required. After that I could see the toolbar and it looks like everything is working fine. Regards Shane Coetser lol thats persistence "Shane Coetser" <shanec@oakwell.co.za> wrote in m...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

Why does my send/receive button not work?
All of a sudden my send/receive button does not work. I use a MailWasher Pro filter. I've checked all settings in both MailWasher and Outlook -- everything seems correct. I did receive an email this morning from someone and got the message that Outlook was unavailable and I was being switched to Word for an email editor. Can anyone help me? "MamaMel" <MamaMel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88D8852A-5ECC-44FC-9A1D-D45F64F15FB6@microsoft.com... > All of a sudden my send/receive button does not work. I use a MailWasher > Pro >...

sort data
i am trying, unsuccessfullty, to sort some data (a small example is below) so I can graph it. I want to put it into a pivot table format but don't want calculations, just the actual data. any ideas??/ Location DATE Result WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 19-Jul-05 0.83 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 23-Jun-05 0.8 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 28-May-05 1.16 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 02-May-05 0.93 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 06-Apr-05 0.66 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 11-Mar-05 0.59 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 13-Feb-05 0.54 WAT002WA ALBANY BOTTOM 18-Jan-05 0.62 WAT002WA ALBANY TOP 09-Mar-07 0.73 ...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

Combining multiple files into one work sheet
Good afternoon, I have multiple files single worksheet files (30), each in it's own directory that I would like to have combined into a single workbook. Each file name is unique, however the midships of each file contains the date the file was created "C:\XVG001\XVG001_20090713_Reviewed.xls". Is there any way I can create a function or macro that will pull these files from their respective directories and combine these sheets automatically into one workbook? Thanks Try this add-in http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/t...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

How can I "undo" an entry on a form/subform while still entering data ? 11-18-07
Hi I posted this question a couple of days ago and got 1 response but couldn't read it. Hopefully someone will have and answer. I have a form/subform for entering invoice data. What can I do if I realize that I have already entered the invoice ? Example: I enter the main form data and enter 5 lines of detail on the subform and then I realize that I have already entered this invoice before ? I would love to have a button that I could click that "undoes" the entire entry. How can this be accomplished ? Thanks Mark <mthornblad@gmail.com> wrote in message news:81271...

How actually recall message work ?
Hi, I'm using Ms Office Outlook 2000 and I wanted to use on the recall features. I know where to get it but the result of this is always fail to recall. I wonder in what situation the recall features will work? In need of your help. Thanks. On 13 Apr 2004 19:52, "Edmund" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, I'm using Ms Office Outlook 2000 and I wanted to use on the recall >features. I know where to get it but the result of this is always fail >to recall. I wonder in what situation the recall features will work? > >In need of your hel...