Summing a crosstab

Is there a way to do a sumif on a crosstab?

For example:

	 Issue Year
Duration	 2,004 	 2,005 	 2,006 	 2,007 	 2,008 	 2,009
0	 453 	 -   	 -   	 -   	 -   	 505
1	 -   	 -   	 789 	 498 	 -
2	 650 	 -   	 -   	 -
3	 5,496 	 1,086 	 2,210
4	 -   	 6,241
5	 13,664

I want to summarize by Incurred Year, which would be Issue year + Duration

So for Incurred Year 2009, I want to sum all cells where the Issue Year +
Duration = 2009.  sumif (row + col = year)

Incurred Year	Amount
2009	 22,621
2008	 1,584
2007	 6,285
2006	 650
2005	 -
2004	 453

I don't know whether to use sumif, match, lookup, or if it is even possible.

Thanks.

Here's one relatively simple play which delivers it ..

Assume your source table as posted is in A1:G8
where in B2:G2 are the years: 2004, 2005 ... 2009
and in A3:A8 are the durations: 0, 1,... 5

Create a DV in say, cell B10 to select the year (from B2:G2)
[Click Data > Validation, Allow: List, Source: =$B$2:$G$2]
Then place this in B11:
=IF(ROWS($1:1)>MATCH($B$10,$B$2:$G$2,0),"",OFFSET($A$2,MATCH($B$10,$B$2:$G$2,0)+1-ROWS($1:1),ROWS($1:1)))
Copy B11 down to B16 (As the source is a 6 x 6 table, hence copy down 6
cells to cover the max results range). This is the key formula which strips
the diagonal cells from the source table depending on the year selected in
B10
Then in B17: =SUM(B11:B16) will yield the desired result
Inspiring? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"dysolomon" wrote:
> Is there a way to do a sumif on a crosstab?
>
> For example:
>
> 	 Issue Year
> Duration	 2,004 	 2,005 	 2,006 	 2,007 	 2,008 	 2,009
> 0	 453 	 -   	 -   	 -   	 -   	 505
> 1	 -   	 -   	 789 	 498 	 -
> 2	 650 	 -   	 -   	 -
> 3	 5,496 	 1,086 	 2,210
> 4	 -   	 6,241
> 5	 13,664
>
> I want to summarize by Incurred Year, which would be Issue year + Duration
>
> So for Incurred Year 2009, I want to sum all cells where the Issue Year +
> Duration = 2009.  sumif (row + col = year)
>
> Incurred Year	Amount
> 2009	 22,621
> 2008	 1,584
> 2007	 6,285
> 2006	 650
> 2005	 -
> 2004	 453
>

> I don't know whether to use sumif, match, lookup, or if it is even possible.
>
> Thanks.

Excel 2007 PivotTable
http://c0718892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/03_16_10a.xlsx
Pdf preview:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/j4qvm4jmmag/03_16_10a.pdf

0
Herbert
3/17/2010 3:16:03 AM
This is a great process and it worked great,  but not exactly what I need.

I would like to have all of the totals without having to choose the year.
That way, I could populate the results on a summary tab.

"Max" wrote:

> Here's one relatively simple play which delivers it ..
>
> Assume your source table as posted is in A1:G8
> where in B2:G2 are the years: 2004, 2005 ... 2009
> and in A3:A8 are the durations: 0, 1,... 5
>
> Create a DV in say, cell B10 to select the year (from B2:G2)
> [Click Data > Validation, Allow: List, Source: =$B$2:$G$2]
> Then place this in B11:
> =IF(ROWS($1:1)>MATCH($B$10,$B$2:$G$2,0),"",OFFSET($A$2,MATCH($B$10,$B$2:$G$2,0)+1-ROWS($1:1),ROWS($1:1)))
> Copy B11 down to B16 (As the source is a 6 x 6 table, hence copy down 6
> cells to cover the max results range). This is the key formula which strips
> the diagonal cells from the source table depending on the year selected in
> B10
> Then in B17: =SUM(B11:B16) will yield the desired result
> Inspiring? hit the YES below
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> ---
> "dysolomon" wrote:
> > Is there a way to do a sumif on a crosstab?
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > 	 Issue Year
> > Duration	 2,004 	 2,005 	 2,006 	 2,007 	 2,008 	 2,009
> > 0	 453 	 -   	 -   	 -   	 -   	 505
> > 1	 -   	 -   	 789 	 498 	 -
> > 2	 650 	 -   	 -   	 -
> > 3	 5,496 	 1,086 	 2,210
> > 4	 -   	 6,241
> > 5	 13,664
> >
> > I want to summarize by Incurred Year, which would be Issue year + Duration
> >
> > So for Incurred Year 2009, I want to sum all cells where the Issue Year +
> > Duration = 2009.  sumif (row + col = year)
> >
> > Incurred Year	Amount
> > 2009	 22,621
> > 2008	 1,584
> > 2007	 6,285
> > 2006	 650
> > 2005	 -
> > 2004	 453
> >

> > I don't know whether to use sumif, match, lookup, or if it is even possible.
> >
> > Thanks.

A slight twist to the earlier. You could drop the DV in B10 and just use the
year headers in B2:G2 instead to derive the entire lot at one go.
In B11:
=IF(ROWS($1:1)>COLUMNS($A:A),"",OFFSET($A$2,COLUMNS($A:A)+1-ROWS($1:1),ROWS($1:1)))
Copy down to B16
In B17: =SUM(B11:B16)
Select B11:B17, copy across to G17.  B17:G17 gives the results.
Joy? hit the YES below. Above and earlier formulas route works in any
version of Excel.
--
Max
Singapore

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

> Excel 2007 PivotTable
> http://c0718892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/03_16_10a.xlsx
> Pdf preview:
> http://www.mediafire.com/file/j4qvm4jmmag/03_16_10a.pdf
>
> .

Just posted this, crossed with your reply ...

On Mar 17, 10:47=A0pm, Max <demecha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just posted this, crossed with your reply ...
>
> A slight twist to the earlier. You could drop the DV in B10 and just use =
the
> year headers in B2:G2 instead to derive the entire lot at one go.
> In B11:
> =3DIF(ROWS($1:1)>COLUMNS($A:A),"",OFFSET($A$2,COLUMNS($A:A)+1-ROWS($1:1),=
ROWS=AD($1:1)))
> Copy down to B16
> In B17: =3DSUM(B11:B16)
> Select B11:B17, copy across to G17. =A0B17:G17 gives the results.
> Joy? hit the YES below. Above and earlier formulas route works in any
> version of Excel.
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> ---
>

> "dysolomon" wrote:
> > This is a great process and it worked great, =A0but not exactly what I =
need.

> > I would like to have all of the totals without having to choose the yea=
r. =A0
> > That way, I could populate the results on a summary tab.- Hide quoted t=
ext -

Using array formula would be a great help:
The data u provide is in A1:G7, my formula for year 2004 total is in
cell B8
=3DSUMPRODUCT(--(ROW($B$2:$G$7)-ROW($B$2)+$B$1:$G$1=3DB$1),$B$2:$G$7)
copy across for all the remaining years up to cell G8
it's easier to see in excel for the range used, note the $ sign for
fixed cell and non-fixed cell.

Hope this helps, straight forward use of sumproduct and less confusing
for crosstab summing.

Min Yeh
0
minyeh

How to perform sum sum sum...

Summing up user defined results

sum subform to form

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...

Sum sum sum
Let me describe my problem... I have a form with with item number with is unique and then i put another form (subform) to linked to record the number of item in and out.... This means a item can have many in and out transactions which make the item number not unique.. My problem is I want to calculate the sum of in quantity within the same item. I want the sum to be keep on increasing when the user enter the quantity. Example user key in 2 then new user key 4 and i want the total quantity to be 6... Please help.... No idea of what i am talking? I will explain... -- Message posted via http:/...

Taking sum of a field from sub report
Hi On a sub report I have a field datetot which is the sum of two fields those two fields are in turn coming from two further sub reports of the sub report. How can I take the sum of datetot field to the main report? Thanks Regards See: Bring the total from a subreport onto a main report at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-18.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:OCWbU...

sum command do not display the result eg:=sum(c5:c8)-total not
sum command do not display the result eg:=sum(c5:c8)-total not display the result in the cell even when sigma is clicked the same What is displayed instead? If you see the formula, then format the cell as General (or anything but text) and reenter that formula. If you see the wrong answer, then maybe you have calculation set to manual. Tools|Option|calculation tab is how you'd change it in xl2003 menus. If that's not it, then maybe your values in those cells (C5:C8) aren't really numbers. Reformat that range as General (not text) and reenter the values. abbbalu wr...

Adding Sum
I made a query report with unique records to display,I don't want repeating item displayed in the report. What should I do to sum the other qty delivered in a single item. Item Qty Date Pork 50 08/01/05 60 08/10/05 20 08/15/05 should be Item Qty Date Pork 130 08/01/05 - 08/15/05 thanks & Godspeed. One way Sub Test() Dim iLastRow As Long Dim i As Long Dim dteMax As Date Dim dteMin As Date Dim...

SUM with WHERE
I have one sheet with a bunch of records that look like: Name, Lang, Qty Peter, English, 5 Peter, French, 2 Dave, English, 7 .... On a second sheet I want to create a summary of the records: English, 12 French, 2 So What I am kind of looking for is this: English, =sum of $DRECORDS where Lang=English French, =sum of $DRECORDS where Lang=French Any ideas how to do this in excel? Peter Look in the help index for SUMIF -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Peter Carlson" <peter@h_o_w_u_d_o_d_a_t.com> wrote in message news:e1l3%233eXI...

Sum duplicate lines in a table
I have a table which contains a list of products soted by poduct name. Against each product there is a stock quantity, each Item may appear more than once. I want to be create a query which will give me a list of the products, but with only one entry per item, with a total quantity for each item. Is this possible? Thanks Neil wrote: >I have a table which contains a list of products soted by poduct name. >Against each product there is a stock quantity, each Item may appear more >than once. > I want to be create a query which will give me a list of the products,...

Sum on horizontal lookup.
in one row (a10:aa10), i have a name in one cell, then value in the next, name in one cell, then value in the next... Some of the names in the row are repeated. Based on a lookup value (which will be one of the names), I want to: search the row for the lookup value add the value to the right each time the lookup value is found. example: a10 a11 a12 a13 a14 a15 a16 a17 errors 10 correct 10 errors 10 correct 20 lookup value "errors", result 20 lookup value "correct", result 30 =SUMIF(A10:Z10,"errors",B10:AA10) -- _____________...

Running Sum 01-27-10
Hello, I have been looking at some running sum examples (http:// support.microsoft.com/kb/290136), but can not work out how to apply it to my query. I have Recieved, Recieved Amount .. then Cleared, Cleared Amount .. i am trying to work out a running backlog of work. So A: Recieved, Rec Amount .. Cleared, Clrd Amount .. Backlog, Backlog Amount. B: Recieved, Rec Amount .. Cleared, Clrd Amount .. Backlog of A - Cleared + Received. C: Recieved, Rec Amount .. Cleared, Clrd Amount .. Backlog of B - Cleared + Received. and so on? Im guessing its a DSUM thing, but i cant make th...

Help on SUM cells with formulas
At F199 I have the formula =SUM(F177:F198) but rows 177 to 198 contain formulas like =(+E180-E179) and F199 formula won't work. Do I need to extract correctly the values only? is it possible? Thanks much. Benjamin What exactly does "formula won't work" mean? What kind of return are you getting? No answer? - Wrong answer? - Error message? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! -------------------------------------------------------------------...

How to Sum a column if reference column is blank
How do I sum a cloumn of numbers when my reference column is blank? >when my reference column is blank? What does that mean? -- Mike When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. Occam''''s razor (Abbrev) "Rusty" wrote: > How do I sum a cloumn of numbers when my reference column is blank? See if this is what you had in mind... 96...x 51..... 22...p 73..... 81..... Sum A1:A5 where the corresponding cell in B1:B5 is blank/empty: ...

Sum, Sum if or if???????
Two things: I inherited a spreadsheet and everytime I save or update a cell I get message that reads "The macros in this project have been disabled Please refer to online help etc to enable". How can I get rid of this message, as as far as I know I not set up an macros and there are none in the list after checking the macro list (the spreadsheet I have enclosed for question 2 example does this i you enter or change an amount)! 2. Can you help with a formula, basically I want excel to provide dat if any particular figure is over a certain amount. see attache example. Thanks in ad...

Sum, Sum if or if???????
I have trouble with a formula and I am hoping that someone can help me. This is the formula I currently have in place: =SUM(IF((OSS!$V$2:$V$100="OSS")andif(OSS!$D$2:$D$100="Jan-04"),OSS!O$2:O$100,0)) Although, I am trying to say that if the worksheet (oss) has OSS written in, in column C AND IF the date is Jan 04 in column D - then sum the respective totals from column O, if neither then put a 0 in place. Can someone help? Hi try =SUMPRODUCT((OSS!$V$2:$V$100="OSS")*(MONTH(OSS!$D$2:$D$100)=1)*(YEAR(OS S!$D$2:$D$100)=2004),OSS!O$2:O$100) -- Regards Frank Kabe...

Sum
Hi I have a query which has only fou fiels per entry. COST COSTVAT LABOUR LABOURVAT These fileds are all calculated fields in a query if the Cost is �10.00 the CostVAT is �1.75 If the Labour is �10.00 the LabourVAT is �1.75 I would like other fields at the end of the above fields which will sum all the SUMCOST SUMCOSTVAT etc I cannot work out how to do a calculated sum field. Any Help Please Regards John Sorry that was a bit ambiguous, The fields I need to show are running sum fields. " I Think?" These fields will total up all COST, VAT etc from all records...

summing a range in a UDF
Grrrr....is there some better way of doing this?? The UDF throws a #VALUE error every time it hits any of the lines with a SUM in it. ex: "n_Total = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(s_Start_Book + s_Sheet + s_Start_Cell + ":" + s_End_Cell)" What am I screwing up with this line? The only other way I see of doing it is step through range with a loop?....but this should work? Thank you for anyone who takes the time to step through this monstrosity.... #### normal values passed in would be s_Product_Code "6697" n_Usage_Days = 9 n_Start_Date = "06/19/2...

Testing with IF and SUM
This is what am using for one field ( A4 ). =IF(A4=1;10;"0"+IF(A4=2;4;"0"+IF(A4=3;3;"0"))) Now i want to calculate fields from A - AF but based on upper rules. If user enters 1 output should be 10 if he enters 2 output = 4... Example: If A4 = 1, B4=1, C4 = 2 whole output should be 24. How to make this ? Am Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:03:22 +0200 schrieb Gigabyte: > This is what am using for one field ( A4 ). > =IF(A4=1;10;"0"+IF(A4=2;4;"0"+IF(A4=3;3;"0"))) > > Now i want to calculate fields from A - AF but based on upper ru...